Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

bamboozle wrote: »
    getting fed up with newstalk breakfast, this morning's 7.30 sports bulletin they give feck all time to the HC final tomorrow followed by golf and a 2 minute interview with a Kerry footballer, their 8.30 sports starts with a story on Carlos Tevez followed by Golf followed by news on the HC final.

Well I'm sure it's counterbalanced by the hours and hours of rugby talk on Newstalk 12 months of the year. How can you talk about any game in such anorak levels of detail as a typical rugby game discussion on Newstalk. I like many sports but I couldn't hack that level of over analysis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »
    I am now convinced that Fionn Davenport lives in the Newstalk building.

I wonder if he moves his sleeping bag from one corner of the office to the other every now and again - for a change of scenery?

He's standing in for Karen Coleman on The Wide Angle today.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Anyone listening to Tom Dunne right now? It's a bit strange hearing music on Newstalk but I loved Pet Sounds and I'm really enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just tuned in now as i was expecting them to be doing sport or something.

yeah not bad.

i find tom a bit bland TBH but he does root out some eclectic music that i find oddly enjoyable as its NOT my usual fare. im amazed he hasnt been aproached by nova as their remit would be right up this shows street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Just had a listen and the start of the show was all over the place. Someone never listened back to make sure the music was loaded correctly with Voice Tracks. Sounded very poor to be honest. Switched off after that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

There is certainly an opening for a liveline type show that could be done in the 10-12 slot if they moved Tom Dunne on.The fawning that was done over the queen all last week on liveline was sickening.It would depend on getting the right presenter that was willing to tackle proper issues.

The crowd that run the nct must have being counting there blessings to hear duffy talking bull about the queen all week!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Does anybody else find there competition question's a bit disparaging...?I know they must use the 30c text messages as a income stream but don't be so desperate by making the questions very easy.

There is certainly an opening for a liveline type show that could be done in the 10-12 slot if they moved Tom Dunne on.The fawning that was done over the queen all last week on liveline was sickening.It would depend on getting the right presenter that was willing to tackle proper issues.

The crowd that run the nct must have being counting there blessings to hear duffy talking bull about the queen all week!

They had a liveline type show before called 'your call' at 9am. With brenda power mostly. But they cleared it to make way for Tom Dunne in the morning inadvisedly. Tom should just stick to finding and playing music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well done to all the panelists on Coleman at Large this evening who (despite their own differences) collectively disassociated themselves from the hosts ludicrous parallel between the Israeli / Palestine conflict and Ireland's economic crises.

I've heard some amount of bollox being spun in my time but this guy takes the biscuit.

They had a liveline type show before called 'your call' at 9am. With brenda power mostly. But they cleared it to make way for Tom Dunne in the morning inadvisedly. Tom should just stick to finding and playing music.
    She was hopeless as host!

• Advertisement

I've heard some amount of bollox being spun in my time but this guy takes the biscuit.

The best is yet to come. ba boom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Well done to all the panelists on Coleman at Large this evening who (despite their own differences) collectively disassociated themselves from the hosts ludicrous parallel between the Israeli / Palestine conflict and Ireland's economic crises.

i thought it was a fair point he was making. just that the difference between netanyahu's speech after meeting obama last week as leader of a small nation, compared to kenny's yesterday.
    kinda reminded me of hugh grant playing prime minister in love actually, when he told the american president that they wouldn't be bullied.

feck ya anyway, now i've admitted to having watched that shyte!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I've been awake late a lot recently for work and noticed this. Why do NT play the Breakfast show from 12 o'clock at night? It's pretty useless at that time, the news is 24 hours old nearly. I often find too that segments get stuck on a loop. So I can end up hearing the same interview over and over and over...

I know they make no money off it but it seems silly to me, play OTB or more recent news, there is still people listening at that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

johnny giles is on with ken early now. i think it's the first time that i can remember the two of them being on at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ivan Yates is back in the chair tomorrow (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It happened the last time McDevitt was off on a Thursday as well. This ken sharing the presenting with Murph thing doesn't really work. Ken should present it by himself, he's just better at it and Murph shares the same fluffing every second sentence affliction with Jerry O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Was it me or did Damien Kieberd sound terrible today like he was very weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

themont85 wrote: »
    I've been awake late a lot recently for work and noticed this. Why do NT play the Breakfast show from 12 o'clock at night? It's pretty useless at that time, the news is 24 hours old nearly. I often find too that segments get stuck on a loop. So I can end up hearing the same interview over and over and over...

I know they make no money off it but it seems silly to me, play OTB or more recent news, there is still people listening at that time!

It's worse that they play repeats of the breakfast show on Saturday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

anyone else starting to think sean moncreif thinks all hookers are crack addicts ?

he doenst seem to be able to accept that people will do all sorts of degrading stuff if lots of moola is on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

he doenst seem to be able to accept that people will do all sorts of degrading stuff if lots of moola is on the table.

George hook musnt mention his ads for sky around the nt offices then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Anyone know who that guy was on last week before the Champions League final? Was talking to Yates and Yates mentioned something about Giggs and the guy went off on the most bizarre tangent I've ever heard - something about a guy with no legs etc. I couldn't stop laughing.

That was Paddy crerand. He actually hung up on Ivan earlier in the season,he is black Man Utd.

The joke was they had a soldier with prostethic legs bringing on the premiership trophy, someone said wasnt it nice they gave hargreaves a part in the proceedings!

That was Paddy crerand. He actually hung up on Ivan earlier in the season,he is black Man Utd.

Car crash radio. What an agressive Man Utd twat he is. 'Let me tell you something'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Car crash radio. What an agressive Man Utd twat he is. 'Let me tell you something'.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ave Nocturna

themont85 wrote: »

I agree. Sometimes the segments get completely mixed up and you get part of a show that is a few months old! It can be very sloppy.
    It's almost disrespectful to the night-time listeners! :P
    I guess if they don't include the breakfast show at night, there's too much time to kill. They repeat the afternoon show, the breakfast show, Moncrieff, Tom Dunne, The Right Hook and OTB... In that order.
    Then again, they shave an awful lot off Moncrieff. Surely they should include more of that show and scrap some of the others.

Perhaps they assume that the whole country is tucked into bed at 10pm

Regarding the repeats on Saturdays, of the full weeks worth of breakfast shows... Who doesn't like to hear news from 7am Monday at 3am Sunday (technically) ... Seems more than a bit lazy. Though I'd rather listen to that than 'Shenanigans with Sile'. For sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Tom Dunne did an interview with Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order fame.
    His new group The Light were playing the Unknown Pleasures album in the Academy the other night. He gave Dunne a tape of the group performing UP with Rowetta Satchell formerly of the Happy Mondays on vocals.
    TD failed to spot that it was a female singing on the tape. He thought it was Hook. Great ear there Tom lol

His knowledge of Joy Division obviously just ran to 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' which he said we would now hear and in keeping with the piece - on came She's Lost Control Again! At least that's what I think it was; there was much laughter at this point.

The man is a complete muppet and hides his ignorance with an expression of 'OH WOW'....which is way overused at this stage....when one of his interviewees says something moderately interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Tom Dunne did an interview with Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order fame.
    His new group The Light were playing the Unknown Pleasures album in the Academy the other night. He gave Dunne a tape of the group performing UP with Rowetta Satchell formerly of the Happy Mondays on vocals.
    TD failed to spot that it was a female singing on the tape. He thought it was Hook. Great ear there Tom lol

Yeah, I heard that. Not really an easy mistake to make...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dunphy and John Waters are tearing David Norris to shreds at the moment. Paper of record getting it too in fairness to Waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I cannot take Waters remotely seriously when he goes "off on one" which has was doing there. Dunphy is no help as he simply bends in the breeze of opinion from his friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mike65 wrote: »
    I cannot take Waters remotely seriously when he goes "off on one" which has was doing there. Dunphy is no help as he simply bends in the breeze of opinion from his friends.
    It was interesting to get Water's angle on the Norris saga in the context of him being editor of Magill at the time the interview. His contention was that he sussed it was controversial as soon as he heard it and made calls to Norris to see
    if he would like to change it. Norris declined to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement