Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

How much did Metal Gear cost if ya don't mind me asking? Yea the Nes is one of my favourite systems to collect for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just happened to be browsing ebay UK and got it for £12 delivered in a buy it now.(Which is just under €15)

I think that was a pretty good deal as all the other ones currently listed seem to be about twice the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Nice alright ya jammy fecker!

No vids on youtube for jammy feckers, this is the closest I could find!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just got Metal Gear for the NES.

MetalGear.jpg

I'm really enjoying NES games at the moment...there's something nice about them collecting wise that I've never really noticed before. The labels stay really fresh and glossy. Think I may try to expand the collection.

NES Metal Gear is an absolutely terrible game. It's only redeeming feature is the god awful translation which is hilariously bad. Metal Gear on the MSX however is a different beast and a fantastic game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Heh, I actually saw that the moment you put it up and was going to make an offer. Couldn't figure out what exactly to offer though.
    hey! throw us a sega/atari cart or two for it and I'm happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    NES Metal Gear is an absolutely terrible game. It's only redeeming feature is the god awful translation which is hilariously bad. Metal Gear on the MSX however is a different beast and a fantastic game.

I feel like Bill Murray.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I feel like Bill Murray.

'They say we're young and we don't know....'

SMASH!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

dmcdante wrote: »
    I picked up captin planet and gremlins 2 for the nes petty my nes is broke cause really would love to try then also pick up project zero for the xbox

Whats wrong with it? It might be an easy fix

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel like Bill Murray.

World of difference here. Metal Gear on the NES was always an awful game.

World of difference here. Metal Gear on the NES was always an awful game.

Like Demons Souls?

• Advertisement

[IMG][/img]a59f338e.jpg

Like Demons Souls?

There's a big difference between a shit game and being shit at a game :P

There's a big difference between a shit game and being shit at a game :P

Lol you certainly proved that with SSF4 :D

DS is generic slash n hack stuff imo, or it it only yours that matters? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

The professor would be right about metal gear it is better on msx,msx is fantastic machine itself,the sequel was fantastic and was re-released on ps2 and unofficial fan translation on its own,use "blue msx" emulator if your needs must.

Lol you certainly proved that with SSF4 :D

Burn!
    DS is generic slash n hack stuff imo, or it it only yours that matters? :pac:

Actually it really isn't generic hack n slash. Have you beaten the first boss yet and opened up all the online options from the other stages? Also if you aren't playing the game online you're also missing out on most of what the game offers. It's something totally new in terms of how it uses online features, there's nothing else like it. Even if you want to say it's generic hack n slash in terms of combat and level design nothing has done it better than Demon's Souls.

If you are having trouble with the difficulty then stick it out and don't be ashamed to use the demon's souls faq because you really are missing out on something special. If you aren't playing online then you're totally missing out on what makes it special so I could see where you get that point of view.

If you are having trouble with the difficulty then stick it out and don't be ashamed to use the demon's souls faq

Lol, nah your grand thanks :D

Multiplayer online? Not my cup of tea either dude, I knda grew outta that :P Single player story based stuff appeals to me more tbh, & after a few mins of killing skeletons I found myself moving on. That being said, I havn't given the game a proper chance.

My real point is, is Metal Gear crap because you think so? Or would some people like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Multiplayer online? Not my cup of tea either dude, I knda grew outta that :P Single player story based stuff appeals to me more tbh, & after a few mins of killing skeletons I found myself moving on. That being said, I havn't given the game a proper chance.

My real point is, is Metal Gear crap because you think so? Or would some people like it?

It's not at all like 'traditional' online multiplayer, even if 14 year-old kids played it and wanted to shout abuse at you, there's no way for them to. It's effectively a part of the singleplayer game

ghostchant wrote: »
    It's not at all like 'traditional' online multiplayer, even if 14 year-old kids played it and wanted to shout abuse at you, there's no way for them to. It's effectively a part of the singleplayer game

"Sshh, I had to pick a game Retr0 loves, nothing else would have p1ssed him off :p"

Oh really?

Ah you see that's the beauty of Demon's Souls. I'm not a big fan of multiplayer either but the thing about Demon's Souls is that the online features actually enhance the single player game. Some people have even labelled the game a massively singleplayer online RPG. There's also very little interaction with other players so no whining over the microphone.

Online you will see the ghosts of other players playing the game and they can leave messages to help you, and also hinder you. You can rate messages and if yours gets rated you get your health back so it's good to leave helpful messages. Also you can bring 2 other people to help you through the levels by summoning them and you can also offer yourself up to be summoned. Helping a player beat the level brings you back to body form giving you extra health and also allowing you to summon other players. However in body form you can be invaded by a player that will try to kill you and can also invade other peoples levels to try and steal their experience. And one of the most innovative things is in one of the levels you canbe summoned to be the boss of someones game and in the same way when you face this boss you will be facing another player. The online modes really are totally essential to full enjoyment of the game.

There's also more than just zombies to kill in the game! They're only cannon fodder in the very early parts of stage 1.

Usually I'm ranting about overrated games. Donkey Kong Country, not the best platformer in the world but a decent one.

NES Metal Gear on the other hand is absolute dirt, it really is a dreadful game and a disgraceful port. It's nigh on unplayable with tonnes of stuff cut from the original and the new stuff like the mazes (especially the one the game begins with) being awful to play through. Colision detection is way too sensitive so when you get caught you will almost certainly die and you willget caught because of the unfair enemy placement.

Metal Gear didn't become the successful franchise it is off the strenght of the NES games, it did so off the vastly superior MSX games. Now these games really are gems and still very playable. Sure MGS is basically a remake of the second metal gear game on the MSX. Play metal gear through an MSX emulator or from the MGS3 subsistance bonus disk, not the terrible NES port. Hideo Kojima has personally come out about how much he hates the NES Metal Gear games.

Metal Gear on the NES does have one redeeming feature:

Metal_Gear_NES_Screenshot3.jpg

350970-havemove_super.jpg

game-1029-0-0-188-150-dddddd.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

NES Metal Gear on the other hand is absolute dirt, it really is a dreadful game and a disgraceful port.

I originally bought it purely for collection purposes, but now I'm going to play it and enjoy it just to spite you. :pac:

See #2542

Your so easily goaded :D I'm actually fully aware of Metal Gear (See AVGN's rant on it for example)...but I still don't like Demon Souls :D Zelda 3? Now there's a game :cool:

I originally bought it purely for collection purposes, but now I'm going to play it and enjoy it just to spite you. :pac:

I'd love to see how you get on with that :) Collection purposes? Sure Kojima doesn't even recognise it as part of the series.

This is what you should have spent your money on :P

MSX_MetalGear-thumb.jpg
    See #2542

Your so easily goaded :D I'm actually fully aware of Metal Gear (See AVGN's rant on it for example)...but I still don't like Demon Souls :D Zelda 3? Now there's a game :cool:

Grr! I'm being used for your entertainment purposes!

Grr! I'm being used for your entertainment purposes!

You do it all the time, I'm convinced of it :D Still though, Sera must have great fun winding you up :P

She's just on MSN to me now telling me how funny it is when I go off on one of my rants :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

keithgeo wrote: »
    Whats wrong with it? It might be an easy fix
    Got it off my girlfriends brother just never work right so will be trying to pick up a new one soon its in really bad nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

A boxed N64 and a beat up copy of FFVII from a charity shop. The case is in bits so need to find a replacement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just got an Asian MD and a jap copy of sonic as well.
    Have to test to see if alp is working and will probably stick it on adverts.
    Also got a quickshot MD arcade stick and micromachines v3 for my ps, a good morning so far!

Picked up a few snes games in the rage this week - DKC2, lion king and B.O.B. unboxed, cool spot and ISS boxed. Also picked up a silver gameboy pocket for a tenner on adverts, along with a spare copy of pokemon red.

And on the more modern side of things, ordered Radiant Historia online, it's released in a couple weeks time, can't wait!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The market today had a Snes with bubsy, no psu though, there was a stack of ps consoles, a complete psone for 15, there was a couple of Xboxes and some Xbox and PS2 games about too.
    I think the Asian MD was the best of the bargains there today.
    It's becoming a regular thing now, every other Sunday to hit the Balbriggan market.

I also picked up a quickshot MD arcade stick for 3, boxed as new, lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got light crusader

and thus completing my Sega Treasure Collection, apart from the Japanese game

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Nice one :)

Still need to get myself that damn Mc Donalds game!

I also just this second bought Pocahontas for the MD, hard enough to come by and it was only a tener

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Just got Wonderswan Color off Ciderman, 2 games aswell Rhyme Riders Kerorican and klonoa:D

Master of the Universe

Pics or it didn't happen! :p

Pics or it didn't happen! :p

I was lying alright and trying to be cool...truth is I've never even played any videogames and have no clue about the topic at all...... look a Sony pruduct I must buy it and it's at such a good price:D.......Not!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pdbhp wrote: »
    Just got Wonderswan Color off Ciderman, 2 games aswell Rhyme Riders Kerorican and klonoa:D

That Swan has been from Super Potato to the ends of the world and back! Treat it with great respect good sir :)

That Swan has been from Super Potato to the ends of the world and back! Treat it with great respect good sir :)

I will do, I'm currently hugging it and wiping Cidermans filthy finger prints off. Now to rob a bank and buy Judgement Silversword.

On a related note I downloaded Ikaruga, Galaga Legions and Castlevania Symphony of the Night on XBLA this morning:D

Didn't like Galaga Legions at all, downloaded it at launch way back and was shocked at it tbh, never really went back to it.
    Ikaruga is great but Castlevania SOTN, now thats art, nice!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Didn't like Galaga Legions at all, downloaded it at launch way back and was shocked at it tbh, never really went back to it.
    Ikaruga is great but Castlevania SOTN, now thats art, nice!

I downloaded the demo of Galaga Legions last week and really liked and it was on sale for 400M$ points so I said feck it and bought it.
    Gonna play Castlevania tonight hopefully if I can banish the missus to another place far far away

pdbhp wrote: »
    Gonna play Castlevania tonight hopefully if I can banish the missus to another place far far away

Sure who the hell is Val Entine anyway?

• Advertisement

ghostchant wrote: »
    Sure who the hell is Val Entine anyway?

I think he's a wrestler:D

Anywho romance is overated I was romantic once and it cost me big time:pac:

521fdbf8.jpg
    2 Halo's and Rise of the robots?
    A lot of people are going to hate them!

(I've never actually played Halo , and I've an Xbox so I thought I better, and I've always wanted to see just how bad "Rise.." is :))

Cheers to philly2002 for the trade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

The first 3 standalone C&Cs...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=148169&stc=1&d=1297784127

Just got a SNES, yahoo!

1 problem though, an post are just such experts with package handling that I've been doing a massive repair job on it for the past 2 hours!

I'm painting this case anyway so its not a huge deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

got some megadrive games and a controller.

revenge of shinobi
    desert strike
    jungle strike
    NHLPA 93
    lotus turbo challenge
    home alone
    mega games 1
    mk3
    dragon:the bruce lee story
    and super wrestlemania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I got Streets Of Rage III today. I almost paid 50e for it online about a month ago and I was given it by a friend of my mums for free this afternoon. How random like! Her son emigrated to Australia and gave her instruction to get rid of all the stuff in his room. He has a Nes there aswell and about 6 games which I am picking up from her tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to pay her for the NES as I think it is not right taken it for nothing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

In Rage on Tuesday looking at the commodore 64's they have. Looking for the Breadbin version not the C64, any way got the following.....

Rolling Thunder 2
    Road Rash

For the megadrive.

Also in 3 game on graffton street, and bought a Midway collection for the xbox.

but got the best gift on my way to the luas....

Sprained my ankle.....Had to get luas to sandyford and then drive home took @ 2 hours bloody bad weather.....Off work till tomorrow.

Should be getting Game gear tomorrow......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Thiought I'd throw up a few pics of the Nintendo Hanafuda Cards

IMG_0651.jpg

I didn't open the little box inside, it's too fancy :p Plus I haven't actually learned to play yet.

IMG_0652.jpg

The box was smaller than I expected, comparison shot:

IMG_0653.jpg

Just got Flux for the mega drive, a complete waste of money, I'm definitly addicted to this now. Really must make a list of what i have left to get

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just got Flux for the mega drive, a complete waste of money, I'm definitly addicted to this now. Really must make a list of what i have left to get

As in that Mega CD music visualization generator thingy? I'd say that cost you quite a bit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement