Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin the most popular party in latest poll (mod warnings in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭poteen o hooley

Tá ár lá teacht

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

SF all the way! Never took an interest in politics until recently - and I'm sure I'm not the only one! This is why SF are so popular now - because the 'little people' are fed up now - enough is enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Hardly needs saying! It would be a pretty confused voter who would switch from FG to SF, or vice versa.

FG must have picked up a lot of old ff votes last time around. It is those votes up for grabs

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

FG must have picked up a lot of old ff votes last time around. It is those votes up for grabs

Ok. But that hardly constitutes a FG voter switching to SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Or close the thread!

Mod:

Cut out the digs at moderation thank you.

This thread will not be going down the road of the last one, fair warning for everybody.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Delighted to see this. I would never vote for Sinn Fein, but this poll, along with the protests over water, might (and that's a big might) finally wake up the government to how disappointed people are with their smarmy dismissive attitude that's nearly as bad as Fianna Fail, particularly Joan Burton's smart alec comments about smartphones being some sort of luxury good and the shameful exploitation by Kenny of that woman who was raped by the IRA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Sinn Féin have no real policies. Nothing is backed up on how policies will be paid for.. Everything is changeable to the populist vote. Their leader doesnt even live in the republic

And where does fine Gael leader Denis o Brien live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

As the Irish Water debacle and every other thing drags on further, I am becoming more and more disillusioned with Fine Gael.

I was never a Fine Gael voter. I never liked them. I never voted for them. But... Until relatively recently, I thought Fine Gael were doing a pretty OK job in running the show, given the shíte hand they were dealt in 2011... cleaning up Fianna Fáil's mess. But then... between Garda whistleblowers, Shattergate, McAnulty, Irish Water, etc. etc. ETC... I'm not so sure.

The biggest one is Irish Water. If Fine Gael and Co. wanted to start a revolution, I don't think they could have done a better job. The country is like a powder keg at the moment. The government could collapse and a General Election could be called within the next few months, never mind in March 2016.

It is also worth remembering this: Enda Kenny would sell his wife, daughter, mother and grandmother up the river in a heartbeat to secure a second term in power for Fine Gael. It has never been done before, and would the bould Enda ever love to go down in the history books as the first Fine Gael Taoiseach to win back-to-back elections. So, you can be damn sure that in order to do so, Kenny will do anything and everything to try and curry the voters' favour in between now and the next GE.

And... final thought. Right now, austerity measures are bad, no doubt. But Enda Kenny is looking into a General Election in about 18 months' time. He cannot go overboard with the austerity, or risk losing power, like has happened to Fine Gael so many times in the past. But... if Kenny is still Taoiseach after the 2016(?) General Election... Austerity? You ain't seen nothing yet! He'll rip into the Irish populace with more austerity, because why worry? No more elections for a while, let's grease em up and fúck em!

I'm actually more scared now of Enda getting back in than I am of Sinn Féin getting in. And that is saying something. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

DazMarz wrote: »
    As the Irish Water debacle and every other thing drags on further, I am becoming more and more disillusioned with Fine Gael.

I was never a Fine Gael voter. I never liked them. I never voted for them. But... Until relatively recently, I thought Fine Gael were doing a pretty OK job in running the show, given the shíte hand they were dealt in 2011... cleaning up Fianna Fáil's mess. But then... between Garda whistleblowers, Shattergate, McAnulty, Irish Water, etc. etc. ETC... I'm not so sure.

The biggest one is Irish Water. If Fine Gael and Co. wanted to start a revolution, I don't think they could have done a better job. The country is like a powder keg at the moment. The government could collapse and a General Election could be called within the next few months, never mind in March 2016.

It is also worth remembering this: Enda Kenny would sell his wife, daughter, mother and grandmother up the river in a heartbeat to secure a second term in power for Fine Gael. It has never been done before, and would the bould Enda ever love to go down in the history books as the first Fine Gael Taoiseach to win back-to-back elections. So, you can be damn sure that in order to do so, Kenny will do anything and everything to try and curry the voters' favour in between now and the next GE.

And... final thought. Right now, austerity measures are bad, no doubt. But Enda Kenny is looking into a General Election in about 18 months' time. He cannot go overboard with the austerity, or risk losing power, like has happened to Fine Gael so many times in the past. But... if Kenny is still Taoiseach after the 2016(?) General Election... Austerity? You ain't seen nothing yet! He'll rip into the Irish populace with more austerity, because why worry? No more elections for a while, let's grease em up and fúck em!

I'm actually more scared now of Enda getting back in than I am of Sinn Féin getting in. And that is saying something. :eek:

Have a look at how the economy is being managed in NI. It's not going to fill you full of hope for how SF would compare to Enda's bunch.

If it cheers you any I fully expect Enda to be dispatched by FG before the next election.

And have no doubts that any sitting Taoiseach would do "anything and everything" to retain power, regardsless of what history is or is not made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

You're on the money with that post, I was a lifelong FG supporter and I am worried by them, they were doing a reasonable job but now they have lost the plot, the arrogance some display is sinister, they have handed the initiative to SF and have backed themselves into a corner over the IW issue.

I really don't think I could vote for them again when they show this level of disdain for the Irish public, I paid the USC,the LPT, took my pay cut,made do and kept the head down, the IW debacle is the final straw for me and a lot of other people.Their incompetence prevents them from seeing this and I would suggest people remember this in the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It is also worth remembering this: Enda Kenny would sell his wife, daughter, mother and grandmother up the river in a heartbeat to secure a second term in power for Fine Gael. It has never been done before, and would the bould Enda ever love to go down in the history books as the first Fine Gael Taoiseach to win back-to-back elections.

Enda knows he isn't getting another shot on the merry go round as taoiseach, his own party know he's only leading them into the next election because no one else will want to start their leadership of FG with an unmerciful kicking from the voters

Endas shuffling off to a cushy number in europe after the election, a reward for being their poodle as taoiseach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

alastair wrote: »
    Have a look at how the economy is being managed in NI. It's not going to fill you full of hope for how SF would compare to Enda's bunch.
    SF aren't in overall power in NI, but nice try.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Dennis obrien lollllllll as balotelli would say.

I'm sure his rags are digging up more than Burke and hare looking for more stories. Running on empty now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sinn Féin have no real policies. Nothing is backed up on how policies will be paid for.. Everything is changeable to the populist vote. Their leader doesnt even live in the republic

As SF are an all island party this matters not a jot.

That's like claiming Derry (or any other northern county) shouldn't win the all Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Embarrassing. Can't believe Irish people would consider a government with SF when you look at their policies.

rafatoni wrote: »
    Dennis obrien lollllllll as balotelli would say.

I'm sure his rags are digging up more than Burke and hare looking for more stories. Running on empty now.

I'd imagine the poll has put a different slant on there Halloween party in Denis o Brien towers!

I can just see Fianna fail Sheehan in hes Mummy outfit being chased up and down the corriders by Denis in he's tax exile outfit.

Roaring at FF Sheehan " you must dig up more, find me more".

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

If they win the next GE, after the photo shoots and all their TD's on the Dail plinth, would you feel secure looking at them walking away, planning your future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Every Sindo/Denis O'Brien media attack on Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein reinforces Sinn Fein's core support and pushes more people towards them.

The likes of Eilis O'Hanlon and Eoghan Harris are toxic for anybody or anything they support, and manna from heaven for those they oppose.

kaltz wrote: »
    If they win the next GE, after the photo shoots and all their TD's on the Dail plinth, would you feel secure looking at them walking away, planning your future?

Yes.

More confident than seeing Michael martin, who stood beside Bertie the crook and backed him all the way.

Or enda Kenny who does the bidding of fine gaels rich backers. And who can't deliver a sentence unless it had been scripted for him by one of he's press secretary's.

I hope there choking on there own bile in INM tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

When asked about party leaders, Enda Kenny is the least popular with 67% saying they are "Dissatisfied" with him as Taoiseach
    This is the same Enda who we've been told is running rings around Adams in The Dail? ;-)

Every Sindo/Denis O'Brien media attack on Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein reinforces Sinn Fein's core support and pushes more people towards them.

The likes of Eilis O'Hanlon and Eoghan Harris are toxic for anybody or anything they support, and manna from heaven for those they oppose.

Bulls eye Sid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Embarrassing. Can't believe Irish people would consider a government with SF when you look at their policies.

are they more embarrassing than fg?

It is all but impossible to say how much of this is genuine support for SF and how much is a protest against the government. We really won't know until there is a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The new people that would vote Sinn Fein don't really seem the sort to read policies.

The new people that would vote Sinn Fein don't really seem the sort to read policies.

Ya your right, let's go back to Fianna fails policy's.

Where do I go to collect my brown envelope?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Were you embarrassed when Jackie Healy-Rae was on SIXONE news a few years back flapping a sheet of paper on the platform at Killarney train station.?
    A sheet of paper containing a list of promises from Bertie for Kerry South so that Bertie could stay in power and run the country further into the ground.!!

Were you embarrassed when you heard the 'Lowry Tapes'..??

washman3 wrote: »
    Were you embarrassed when Jackie Healy-Rae was on SIXONE news a few years back flapping a sheet of paper on the platform at Killarney train station.?
    A sheet of paper containing a list of promises from Bertie for Kerry South so that Bertie could stay in power and run the country further into the ground.!!

Fiannafailzheimers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ya your right, let's go back to Fianna fails policy's.

Where do I go to collect my brown envelope?

Sinn Fein Hq for all your dodgy needs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

washman3 wrote: »

Oh right...lets go into details of Sinn Fein members recent activities yeah?

Maíria Cahill, Adams arrested last year, prominent members only recently being linked with previous IRA involvement and murder. Incredible stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement