The Breast Feeding Support Thread - Page 284 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-02-2015, 02:26   #4246
madeinamerica

Ouch. My little fella has just sprung two wee bottom teeth. It's fine while he is feeding, I wouldn't know any different. But at the end of a feed he sometimes has a wee nip, well more like he's pressing his gums together when he gets a bit excited at the end of a feed. Ow! No blood but i literally have had the imprint of two teeth in my nipple. He's done it quite a few times now. The last few times i tried to say in a serious voice 'no biting, R'. It's had mixed results, from him getting an awful shock and nearly crying to him thinking it's funny and going back to give me another cheeky nip (seriously, he's just shy of 6 months old, he can't understand divilment yet, can he?). But it hasn't stopped him. I'm trying to keep an eye and take him off before he gets giddy, but don't always think of it. How do I stop him?! Will he stop himself?
Advertisement
24-02-2015, 09:18   #4247
73trix

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Strange View Post
I've had mastitis on each baby, when they were less than a week old and I had the cracked nipples etc too. Neither had tongue tie though my daughters was a little restricted. On both times feeding from the sore breast helped clear the blockage. It may seem counterintuitive when you're in that much pain but it works.

Then get the latch checked. On both of mine a small adjustment in how they latched and how I held them made all the difference. She really needs to see an LC. A la lechce league or ciudiu leader would also help as they're highly qualified.

Hot baths and massaging towards the nipple really help. Again it's sore but very effective. She should take baths a few times a day, as hot as she can bear and with the sore breast in the water.

Then total bed rest and feeding the baby from the sore breast first as regularly as every hour for around 24hrs would help. After that she should stay in bed and feed from the sore breast first on the first signs of baby mooching. On both babies I propped myself in front of the tv all night and fed through the night.

I'm sorry she's been through the mill but it seems she didn't get the right course of antibiotics at the beginning.

Mastitis is a debilitating infection which drains you of all energy. The main thing is not to stop feeding from the breast until the infection clears.

Hopefully things will get better for her soon but she's amazing for sticking with it through all of this. She's also lucky to have a supportive partner as that's half the battle when you've a newborn, you're sick and your hormones are going crazy.
Do you always need antibiotics? I thought yesterday I had mastitis but not so sure today. My right boob was sooooo sore and I was getting aches and pains - very flu like. I did the hot compress, tried to pump a bit and took to bed at 8 pm with paracetamol. This morning after a couple feeds my breast feels better but still have aches. Was going to take to bed for the day and feed as much as poss.

If it is mastitis would my boob have recovered itself? Could I have had a blocked duct and it's a coincidence that I'm feeling flu y.
24-02-2015, 09:35   #4248
Sligo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73trix View Post
Do you always need antibiotics? I thought yesterday I had mastitis but not so sure today. My right boob was sooooo sore and I was getting aches and pains - very flu like. I did the hot compress, tried to pump a bit and took to bed at 8 pm with paracetamol. This morning after a couple feeds my breast feels better but still have aches. Was going to take to bed for the day and feed as much as poss.

If it is mastitis would my boob have recovered itself? Could I have had a blocked duct and it's a coincidence that I'm feeling flu y.
It is possible you may just have a blocked duct. Do you have a temperature? I think antibiotics would only be prescribed for mastitis if there are signs of infection for example temperature. Or if there was any puss etc coming from nipple. I'm open to correction on this.... I was
Prescribed antibiotics for mastitis when I was Pyrexic and had to be admitted.

If you are having temperatures etc I would go to your GP and they will prescribe you an antibiotic and possibly an anti inflammatory if you need one for the pain.

Last edited by Sligo1; 24-02-2015 at 09:50.
24-02-2015, 13:00   #4249
How Strange

On my son I had mastitis and at 10 weeks a blocked duct. I looked it up and the general advise was the same as treating mastitis and if the temperature hadn't come down in 24 hours to go to your gp for an antibiotic. Thankfully, I caught it in time and treated it myself.

When I had mastitis with my daughter it was a very hot day so I confused the sweating with the post birth hormones and the warm weather so I didn't react quickly enough.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion