Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

73trix, how often do you weigh your baby? My paed told me not to be obsessed with the scales and so to weigh baby at the usual check ups - 3m, 6m, etc. so long as baby is having the required amount of wet nappies, dirty nappies are right consistency, and seems well. That is how you tell if baby is getting enough.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the loose stools? sure that's a bf baby's poop, it's gonna be loose. Sometimes bf babies can go a few days with no poo and then other times can have lots per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

tinkerbell wrote: »
    73trix, how often do you weigh your baby? My paed told me not to be obsessed with the scales and so to weigh baby at the usual check ups - 3m, 6m, etc. so long as baby is having the required amount of wet nappies, dirty nappies are right consistency, and seems well. That is how you tell if baby is getting enough.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the loose stools? sure that's a bf baby's poop, it's gonna be loose. Sometimes bf babies can go a few days with no poo and then other times can have lots per day.

I get him weighed every 2 weeks at the breastfeeding support group. Everyone there gets their babies weighed so I've kept doing it. Maybe you're right and I should just stop now. He is fine after all.

I was worried that it was connected to the ? diarrhea as he had been only having one poo every 3-4 days for about 8 weeks and then suddenly several and after most feeds. Then as this was new, I worried was it because the feeds were literally going thro him but of course you are right, he had multi watery, loose, goey nappies in the first few months and they were normal then! I guess it all happened at the same time as his ear infection and antibiotics so I out it down to that but when he lost weight I got worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think you're blessed to have such a pragmatic phn. I never got mine weighed so I can't say if they lost weight when they were sick. My daughter was quite sick and out of sorts at 10 weeks.

You've hit a breastfeeding speed bump and your confidence in the whole process is shaken. That's understandably but your little one has gotten to 15lb at 20 weeks because of breastmilk so it's clearly good for him.

I think you're blessed to have such a pragmatic phn. I never got mine weighed so I can't say if they lost weight when they were sick. My daughter was quite sick and out of sorts at 10 weeks.

You've hit a breastfeeding speed bump and your confidence in the whole process is shaken. That's understandably but your little one has gotten to 15lb at 20 weeks because of breastmilk so it's clearly good for him.

You are right, howstrange, thank you. I got such a land. I'm trying to find the reasons for the weight loss but ultimately I'm worried that its my fault for not feeding him enough/ low supply. It's the first drop in his weight at 20wks so I guess up til then he was gaining steadily. ONe wobble and I'm a wreck! Maybe time for me to stop getting him weighed... as regularly anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

73trix my bf meeting doesn't weigh babies. And tbh I think them weighing babies every two weeks is unhealthy and makes mums competitive and obsessive about weight gain, which can be detrimental to individual babies - for example my baby was only 6lbs 15oz at birth so she'll always be on the small side. But she's gaining over time and it will all even out by school! Also I feel weight obsession has people rushing their babies onto solids and trying to bulk them up before their little guts are ready. I don't think 6 months is long in the context of the rest of their lives. I'd say relax, you're doing great x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi folks,

my first time posting in here, so here goes!

My partner is really struggling with mastitis at the moment, our son was born 4 weeks ago, we started him on both breasts, which although quite painful, we were coping (cracked nipples etc..).
    About 10 days in, my partner came down with a bout of mastitis (serious cold/hot flushes, redness, lumps), we went to our GP and he prescribed us 7 days of Flucox & 7 days of penicillin, after calling the hospital, they said they would only have given the Flucox, so we only took the flucox from the pharmacy. Around about the time we started with the anti biotic, we switched to pumping the milk and giving it to him in a bottle. (it was just too much pain for my partner to breastfeed)
    Initially through pumping, the left breast (mastitis breast) was providing about 20-30 mL of milk, while the right (good) breast was giving about 60-70 mL of milk. towards the end of the course of antibiotics, the left breast produced more and more milk each time, eventually matching the good breast. all throughout the course of antibiotics, we were massaging the affected breast, slowing reducing the lumps that had formed.

About 2-3 days after we finished the course of antibiotics, the hot/cold flushes returned, so we immediately went back to the GP for more flucox, (this time 10 days worth, as that's what the public health nurse said should have been initially prescribed), we also took the 10 days worth of penicillin this time.
    The redness reduced, however (now 8 days into the 2nd prescription) we still have a large golf ball sized lump right behind the nipple, which is drastically reducing the amount of milk we can express from the left breast (10-15 mL if we are lucky), (we also have 2 small lumps from the original bout which we & the doctor now suspect are abscess).

Been back to the GP today and he gave us an additional 5 days worth of antibiotics & penicillin, but also told me to call the hospital and see what they say regarding the lumps, as they might need to be drained. Called and left a voicemail with the Holles St. breastfeeding clinic, so waiting to hear back from them to see where to go from here!

My partner is getting really upset about the whole thing now, even talking of giving up on expressing altogether, (despite easily producing lots of milk when both breasts are fully functioning (before the mastitis came back, she was producing 180-190 mls total in a session)).

Baby is flying along, as we have been supplementing with formula as required, and he's in great form.

I'm just worried about mammy as I can see it's affecting her in a big way, I'm trying to support her as best I can, but I fear its a losing battle.
    She's worried that any puss removal from abscess will be a big procedure, and mean she will have to stop expressing completely!

Anyone have any advice? been in a similar situation?
    or just able to tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks.
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hi andy your wife sounds amazing and congratulations :) also it's great to see you looking to support her.

First things first I'd get to see or talk to a lactation consultant privately: some of the hospital ones can be hit and miss. You can find one for your area at www.alcireland.ie because they are the experts at breastfeeding... Secondly what sort of pump is she using? Would ye hire a hospital grade one if ye aren't already to see if it helps emptying the breast to help stop mastitis developing.

I wish I had more advice for you but if hope ye get through this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

cyning wrote: »
    Hi andy your wife sounds amazing and congratulations :) also it's great to see you looking to support her.

First things first I'd get to see or talk to a lactation consultant privately: some of the hospital ones can be hit and miss. You can find one for your area at www.alcireland.ie because they are the experts at breastfeeding... Secondly what sort of pump is she using? Would ye hire a hospital grade one if ye aren't already to see if it helps emptying the breast to help stop mastitis developing.

I wish I had more advice for you but if hope ye get through this

Thanks for the reply,

The hospital called me back and I spoke to a lovely woman who put me at ease a little bit, she said that as long as any lumps were not getting worse, and didn't have red or bruised areas around them, and weren't 'jump off your seat' painful, she wouldn't be too worried, she said it can take 2-4 weeks for the lumps to fully disappear, and during mastitis, the breast goes into shock mode, and production would decrease significantly.

She said to monitor it over the weekend and if there was no improvement, or things worsened, to call them back, and arrange to come in to be checked out, but if we felt the situation needed urgent attention, to come it at any time.

I just need to relay all of this to my OH, and try and put her at ease.
    I understand she's in a difficult place, with all thats gone on with her body over the last 4 weeks (not to mention 9 months (which went really well)). I think she's frustrated now more than anything, as she wants to be healthy and to feel normal again.

We started using a Tommee Tippee manual pump, which was rubbish (I bought it during pregnancy as a just in case we need it).
    We now have a Tommee Tippee electric pump which is fantastic on the functioning breast, but not so great now on the mastitis breast (although I think its because the large lump is right behind the nipple), originally when the mastitis showed up, we could still pump 20-30 ml from the affected breast, but now, with the new lump behind the nipple, we'll only get maybe 10 ml.

Your poor missus :( First of all, forget the pumping in isolation. Your wife needs to breastfeed. Painful n all as it is gonna be, she needs to feed - a pump is not the answer when it comes to mastitis. She needs to take to the bed with baby and just feed and rest. Baby is far more effective at draining the breast than a pump is. And call a private lactation consultant for a home visit. Cracked nipples etc are not just something you accept happens with breastfeeding - it's because the latch is wrong, and with cracked nipples then you are seriously prone to infection (mastitis).

I can understand why it reoccurred if she didn't get the latch checked and was just pumping and using a manual pump, holy crap a manual :eek: If trying to pump through mastitis then you probably need the hospital grade €100pm rental). Hope your wife feels better but if she wants to continue with it then she has to see a lactation consultant. They are worth their weight in gold and in my experience, key to a successful breastfeeding journey. Good luck!

Just saw you're based in Dublin, there's lots of LCs in Dublin, you might even get one out tomorrow. Seriously call an LC (you can on some policies claim part/all of the cost back (around €100) on your health insurance). A GP will only help with the infection. In my experience the hospital help is hopeless. To fix the latch you need professional help. And if you can get someone out tomorrow then happy days.

http://www.alcireland.ie/find-a-consultant/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭moominn

I second everything tinkerbelle said, she needs to get baby back on the breast asap! A lactation consultant can help improve latch thereby eliminating pain, cracked nipples etc... Best of luck xx

Hi Andy, congratulations to you and your partner, sounds like you are both doing amazingly. This is probably the most challenging time but she's lucky to have your support.

I can't remember if anyone has advised this yet but has the baby been checked for tongue tie? Often behind incorrect latch and cracked nipples. Don't have any advice about the mastitis tbh but just wanted to share a couple of words of encouragement. When I was pregnant I actually was grossed out by breastfeeding but figured I'd do it because I felt it was best for baby. I had issues with cracked nipples and cluster feeding at the start so really didn't enjoy it but I'm stubborn so I persevered. Now I'm nearly 5 months in and I can honestly say I love bf. I'm proud my milk makes my daughter thrive, i love how content it makes her, I love holding her little hand and feeling her body close and that bond we have. So just to let you and your partner know it does get better.

Also on Fb there is a group called Extended Breastfeeding in Ireland. Now there are some ladies in there imo who can be ott, just to warn you. But it's also a great source of advice and support and a safe place for your partner to vent. Good luck x

I've had mastitis on each baby, when they were less than a week old and I had the cracked nipples etc too. Neither had tongue tie though my daughters was a little restricted. On both times feeding from the sore breast helped clear the blockage. It may seem counterintuitive when you're in that much pain but it works.

Then get the latch checked. On both of mine a small adjustment in how they latched and how I held them made all the difference. She really needs to see an LC. A la lechce league or ciudiu leader would also help as they're highly qualified.

Hot baths and massaging towards the nipple really help. Again it's sore but very effective. She should take baths a few times a day, as hot as she can bear and with the sore breast in the water.

Then total bed rest and feeding the baby from the sore breast first as regularly as every hour for around 24hrs would help. After that she should stay in bed and feed from the sore breast first on the first signs of baby mooching. On both babies I propped myself in front of the tv all night and fed through the night.

I'm sorry she's been through the mill but it seems she didn't get the right course of antibiotics at the beginning.

Mastitis is a debilitating infection which drains you of all energy. The main thing is not to stop feeding from the breast until the infection clears.

Hopefully things will get better for her soon but she's amazing for sticking with it through all of this. She's also lucky to have a supportive partner as that's half the battle when you've a newborn, you're sick and your hormones are going crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Andy I don't have any advice to add here, just wanted to say that ye are doing great so far, fair play to mum for sticking with it and to you for supporting her so well. I'm sure it will get better.

Ouch. My little fella has just sprung two wee bottom teeth. It's fine while he is feeding, I wouldn't know any different. But at the end of a feed he sometimes has a wee nip, well more like he's pressing his gums together when he gets a bit excited at the end of a feed. Ow! No blood but i literally have had the imprint of two teeth in my nipple. He's done it quite a few times now. The last few times i tried to say in a serious voice 'no biting, R'. It's had mixed results, from him getting an awful shock and nearly crying to him thinking it's funny and going back to give me another cheeky nip (seriously, he's just shy of 6 months old, he can't understand divilment yet, can he?). But it hasn't stopped him. I'm trying to keep an eye and take him off before he gets giddy, but don't always think of it. How do I stop him?! Will he stop himself?

I've had mastitis on each baby, when they were less than a week old and I had the cracked nipples etc too. Neither had tongue tie though my daughters was a little restricted. On both times feeding from the sore breast helped clear the blockage. It may seem counterintuitive when you're in that much pain but it works.

Then get the latch checked. On both of mine a small adjustment in how they latched and how I held them made all the difference. She really needs to see an LC. A la lechce league or ciudiu leader would also help as they're highly qualified.

Hot baths and massaging towards the nipple really help. Again it's sore but very effective. She should take baths a few times a day, as hot as she can bear and with the sore breast in the water.

Then total bed rest and feeding the baby from the sore breast first as regularly as every hour for around 24hrs would help. After that she should stay in bed and feed from the sore breast first on the first signs of baby mooching. On both babies I propped myself in front of the tv all night and fed through the night.

I'm sorry she's been through the mill but it seems she didn't get the right course of antibiotics at the beginning.

Mastitis is a debilitating infection which drains you of all energy. The main thing is not to stop feeding from the breast until the infection clears.

Hopefully things will get better for her soon but she's amazing for sticking with it through all of this. She's also lucky to have a supportive partner as that's half the battle when you've a newborn, you're sick and your hormones are going crazy.

Do you always need antibiotics? I thought yesterday I had mastitis but not so sure today. My right boob was sooooo sore and I was getting aches and pains - very flu like. I did the hot compress, tried to pump a bit and took to bed at 8 pm with paracetamol. This morning after a couple feeds my breast feels better but still have aches. Was going to take to bed for the day and feed as much as poss.

If it is mastitis would my boob have recovered itself? Could I have had a blocked duct and it's a coincidence that I'm feeling flu y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

73trix wrote: »
    Do you always need antibiotics? I thought yesterday I had mastitis but not so sure today. My right boob was sooooo sore and I was getting aches and pains - very flu like. I did the hot compress, tried to pump a bit and took to bed at 8 pm with paracetamol. This morning after a couple feeds my breast feels better but still have aches. Was going to take to bed for the day and feed as much as poss.

If it is mastitis would my boob have recovered itself? Could I have had a blocked duct and it's a coincidence that I'm feeling flu y.

It is possible you may just have a blocked duct. Do you have a temperature? I think antibiotics would only be prescribed for mastitis if there are signs of infection for example temperature. Or if there was any puss etc coming from nipple. I'm open to correction on this.... I was
    Prescribed antibiotics for mastitis when I was Pyrexic and had to be admitted.

If you are having temperatures etc I would go to your GP and they will prescribe you an antibiotic and possibly an anti inflammatory if you need one for the pain.

On my son I had mastitis and at 10 weeks a blocked duct. I looked it up and the general advise was the same as treating mastitis and if the temperature hadn't come down in 24 hours to go to your gp for an antibiotic. Thankfully, I caught it in time and treated it myself.

When I had mastitis with my daughter it was a very hot day so I confused the sweating with the post birth hormones and the warm weather so I didn't react quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Just been reading this weeks Closer magazine and in an interview with the singer Kelly Clarkson she says that she breastfed her baby until she was 3 months old and that her baby slept for 12 hour stretches from 2 weeks old!!
    WTF :eek:- is this even possible? Surely a 2 week old breastfed baby needs to be fed at least every 3 hours even during the night? What about the cluster feeding and growth spurts?

Surely this gives a very unrealistic view to new mamas reading it, make them feel like they are doing something wrong!

Soooky wrote: »
    Just been reading this weeks Closer magazine and in an interview with the singer Kelly Clarkson she says that she breastfed her baby until she was 3 months old and that her baby slept for 12 hour stretches from 2 weeks old!!
    WTF :eek:- is this even possible? Surely a 2 week old breastfed baby needs to be fed at least every 3 hours even during the night? What about the cluster feeding and growth spurts?

Surely this gives a very unrealistic view to new mamas reading it, make them feel like they are doing something wrong!

She probably didn't notice the night nanny taking the baby every couple of hours and filling it full of formula :p

Seriously though, no baby should sleep that long at that age and saying so could be downright damaging by setting people up for unrealistic and unhealthy expectations.

• Advertisement

It was since her baby was 2 MONTHS, not 2 weeks! I just googled the story there - it's on People magazine's website.

It was since her baby was 2 MONTHS, not 2 weeks! I just googled the story there - it's on People magazine's website.

Ok phew, that makes more sense. Lucky her :D

Ah in fairness, a 2 month old sleeping a full night is a bit unusual too.

2 months isn't so bad then. My LO was exclusively breastfed and was sleeping 10-11pm till 6am at 6 weeks. U fortunately tho that didn't last as long as I would have liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Jesus, I feel like contacting Closer magazine to get them to correct their typo :mad: Even at 2 months though, I think its bizarre that a breastfed baby would sleep a 12 hour stretch but hey good for them!

I definitely think it gives such an unrealistic view though - my LO didn't start sleeping 12 hours stretch until she was 1 :pac: I know if I had read that in the early days I would feel like I was doing something wrong or that there was something wrong with my baby!

I always tried to be honest - when people asked me if my baby was sleeping through the night I always said "no she wakes several times!!" but I do know others who fib and say "oh yeah she's a great sleeper". Sad that people feel they have to say that, put so much pressure on parents :(

O stop! It's so annoying. Fil and mil were always going On about sleep. My SILs baby is 8 weeks and sleeping through and they are always going on about how she's such a great sleeper. And SIL was saying that she doesn't sleep well at 2 weeks as she was waking at 3 or 4am. She was bottle fed and I was thinking that's so brilliant she's Only waking once at 2 weeks old! While at the time my 8-9 month old would still sometimes wake at 3 or 4 am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Jesus, I feel like contacting Closer magazine to get them to correct their typo :mad: Even at 2 months though, I think its bizarre that a breastfed baby would sleep a 12 hour stretch but hey good for them!

I definitely think it gives such an unrealistic view though - my LO didn't start sleeping 12 hours stretch until she was 1 :pac: I know if I had read that in the early days I would feel like I was doing something wrong or that there was something wrong with my baby!

I always tried to be honest - when people asked me if my baby was sleeping through the night I always said "no she wakes several times!!" but I do know others who fib and say "oh yeah she's a great sleeper". Sad that people feel they have to say that, put so much pressure on parents :(

To be fair though she was reporting her own experience. While it might not be the norm she can't help that that's what happened! Whether it gives people unrealistic expectations is not her fault.

kandr10 wrote: »
    To be fair though she was reporting her own experience. While it might not be the norm she can't help that that's what happened! Whether it gives people unrealistic expectations is not her fault.

This is true. But I have to say ud kinda wonder if she was telling the truth or not. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My nipples are on fire and so bloody sore :( Vasospasms are back in my left nipple, which isn't helping matters and I have two bite marks on my boobs too. Think I'm going to have to wean slightly sooner than I intended, because I literally can't hack it much more. I wanted to do until she was 15 months like her sister, but don't think I can manage another 4 months of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

cyning wrote: »
    My nipples are on fire and so bloody sore :( Vasospasms are back in my left nipple, which isn't helping matters and I have two bite marks on my boobs too. Think I'm going to have to wean slightly sooner than I intended, because I literally can't hack it much more. I wanted to do until she was 15 months like her sister, but don't think I can manage another 4 months of this.

Cyning look how far you've come, especially given all the obstacles, a year of feeding is phenomenal. Well done and don't worry about stopping before you did with your first, my second is quite quickly religating me to the sidelines, well before her sister did! She's now not really feeding at bedtime at all and I get my marching orders by her sitting up and pointing to her cot!!

You've given her a wonderful start, great job

Advertisement