Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

all the girls on my news feed doing it are posting a screen shot of a €4 donation along with the picture, is that not the whole point of it? If theyre donating money then why give out about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I initially thought it was vanity personified but then i saw that a good few of the girls posted pictures of their text/email donations, so fair enough, not all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

garv123 wrote: »
    all the girls on my news feed doing it are posting a screen shot of a €4 donation along with the picture, is that not the whole point of it? If theyre donating money then why give out about it?

A few girls are responding to the criticism of the no make up selfie by posting donation pics. So in a way it was the opposition to the selife that helped raise money for charity :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Tomorrow I'll be doing a photo of myself covered in makeup for all the girlos and donating. Hopefully it will catch on for the lads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Why ? Are anonymous donations more likely to help find a cure. The motive is immaterial if the charity gets the funding. It's a bit of fun and raising money and awareness at the same time. I fail to see anything pathetic in it.

Donate all you want. Telling everyone you're donating is just trying to make yourself seem like a better person to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tomorrow I'll be doing a photo of myself covered in makeup for all the girlos and donating. Hopefully it will catch on for the lads too.

This!
    This is a fantastic idea :)

Any girl want to come around now so they can take a pic of me in the morning? I'm willing to go completely uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

frimpong wrote: »
    If people really want to help they can text PINK to 50300 to donate €4 to Irish Cancer Society. A lot more benefical to the cause than posting pics of themselves on facebook.

This is what you were supposed to do. It was a big drive by various cancer groups.

But they threw a twist on it and wanted girls to post no make up selfies and post them. Not just post the selfie but the details for the donation too saying they themselves had done so.

So if done right well yes they are raising awareness and more money. I know it shouldn't have to take posting it on Facebook to be donating but the cancer groups know people love the attention and it seemed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

Seriously people will find anything to give out about!!! So a few girls have posted pictures of themselves without make up, some have donated, some haven't....so f'n what!!!

One thing I can guarantee is the amount of money donated to cancer charities on the 19th of March (guaranteed there was no national campaign on this date) has increased ten fold, which considering there's a good chance everyone here has been affected by cancer one way or another, is not a bad thing...but carry on finding something to give out about!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ozexpat

Seriously people will find anything to give out about!!! So a few girls have posted pictures of themselves without make up, some have donated, some haven't....so f'n what!!!

thats a good point people should keep they're views to themselves (like in crimea you fool)

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-no-makeup-selfie-craze-is-just-narcissism-masked-as-charity-9202929.html

this person sums up my thoughts on this exactly...i.e. what a bunch of dopes anyone who post one of these..

• Advertisement

ozexpat wrote: »
    thats a good point people should keep they're views to themselves (like in crimea you fool)

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-no-makeup-selfie-craze-is-just-narcissism-masked-as-charity-9202929.html

this person sums up my thoughts on this exactly...i.e. what a bunch of dopes anyone who post one of these..

Those dopes have probably made a bigger contribution to a charity today than you!

Those dopes have probably made a bigger contribution to a charity today than you!

actually me + my wife donated 1000 dollars among 2 charities for christmas and is something we decided to do every year. We haven't told anyone about it even family and i am posting anonymously not seeking any sort of recognition.
    which is more than can be said for the DDDOOPPPPEESSSSS posting these selfies...

do i hear a G G G G G GGOOOAAALLLL!!!! its 2-0.

A person can be charitable while not liking any of the BS surrounding charity.

i.e. those other people who hassle you on the street for money, sometimes dressed in some sort of garish cartoon costume.

I think its highly ignorant and feel like punching them in the face sometimes (if i'm not doubling over in laughter at they're comedic get up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

It's great seeing the women without makeup, especially the ones who do be caked in it most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sunnyview

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I actually can see the opposite I have never realised how much make up girls are caking on till I saw some of the pictures. Loads of the ones I saw are so naturally pretty and look way younger without the crazy caterpillar eyebrows look and lashings of tan. It's kind of a shame really that it takes a charity drive to give girls a reason to pose without make up.

ozexpat wrote: »
    actually me + my wife donated 1000 dollars among 2 charities for christmas and is something we decided to do every year. We haven't told anyone about it even family and i am posting anonymously not seeking any sort of recognition.
    which is more than can be said for the DDDOOPPPPEESSSSS posting these selfies...

do i hear a G G G G G GGOOOAAALLLL!!!! its 2-0.

A person can be charitable while not liking any of the BS surrounding charity.

i.e. those other people who hassle you on the street for money, sometimes dressed in some sort of garish cartoon costume.

I think its highly ignorant and feel like punching them in the face sometimes (if i'm not doubling over in laughter at they're comedic get up)

Considering it's something you and your wife do privately, why come on here & gloat about it, call people donating money to charity dopes & then threaten violence?? You seem like the charitable type & all!! But don't worry I believe you petal, thousands wouldn't!!

Back on topic - donating to charity - GOOD!

Not quite that straightforward IMO. :P

Not quite that straightforward IMO. :P

Yeah I know :) too tired to get in the whole CEO salaries debate at this time of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

This non event caused me to wipe clean another few people of my friends list. Firstly I am certainly not against raising funds for Cancer research, the more the better. It's a terrible thing to go through, but the ones posting these "selfies" are the same individuals who wouldn't cross the road for a person if it saved a life. Its just encouraging this absolute fad of "self promotion" on facebook with the same dud replies of "you luk gawgeous hun!" It's sickening and I don't think gives much consolation to families or patients suffering from this vile disease day after day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

One thing I can guarantee is the amount of money donated to cancer charities on the 19th of March (guaranteed there was no national campaign on this date) has increased ten fold, which considering there's a good chance everyone here has been affected by cancer one way or another, is not a bad thing...but carry on finding something to give out about!!!

I generally would agree and again fair enough if the money is raised, all the better, I've only seen about three pics of the donation, and about forty of the actual selfie.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know :) too tired to get in the whole CEO salaries debate at this time of the night!
    Well not even that. Looking at the charities that get loads of money is depressing, they're mainly things that should be properly funded out of taxes. I couldn't believe it when I saw what the hospices have to do to raise funds. Marie Curies nurses and the like, ridiculous that it's not centrally funded. The UK and US governments have the best scams with "Help for heroes" and the like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My OH told me she is doing a no make up selfie for people with cancer.
    I said they are sick enough already!

blade1 wrote: »
    My OH told me she is doing a no make up selfie for people with cancer.
    I said they are sick enough already!

8.5/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I never go on facebook but i logged on to see what the deal was, some frightening looking yocks, the war paint works wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

sinead88 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer? Personally, I think it's totally redundant. It has nothing to do with cancer whatsoever, and does nothing to help those affected by it. If anything, it's slightly offensive as it almost equates going through cancer with your facebook friends just seeing you without makeup on. Also, everyone is really quite aware of cancer already so a donation would be much more beneficial. It just seems like narcissistic fishing for likes and validation to me. I'm genuinely surprised that it's caught on.

I did it. But I post most selfies without make up.

I don't know if it helps but anyway I would always try :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Already been done by a few lads I know. Anyway, I know I won't be putting on any make up if I get nominated. Why can't people just donate money without looking for likes. :confused:

Considering it's something you and your wife do privately, why come on here & gloat about it, call people donating money to charity dopes & then threaten violence?? You seem like the charitable type & all!! But don't worry I believe you petal, thousands wouldn't!!

jaysus predictable response, u tell me all these people posting selifes are donating more money than me (the ones i've seen have donated nothing just pointless photos)...then i respond to that directly u say i'm gloating.
    yup shame on me for gloating anyonymously on a forum.

the violence thing was clearly a joke.

my point was that people can be completely for charity but be against :

1. morons who post makeupless photo's of themselves on facebook to gain attention using cancer as an excuse.
    2. people who harass people on the street in the name of chaity (yup its off topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

To be honest cancer research is one of the last charities I would donate to as your money could be donated somewhere that actually makes a significant difference. Right now the money is going towards "understanding" cancer without the actual results to validate this so called understanding. Perhaps the obsession with cancer genes is the wrong way forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

sinead88 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer? Personally, I think it's totally redundant. It has nothing to do with cancer whatsoever, and does nothing to help those affected by it. If anything, it's slightly offensive as it almost equates going through cancer with your facebook friends just seeing you without makeup on. Also, everyone is really quite aware of cancer already so a donation would be much more beneficial. It just seems like narcissistic fishing for likes and validation to me. I'm genuinely surprised that it's caught on.

I thought everyone nominated who takes one was donating a few quid as well, surely?

If not, what is the f'ucking point?

edit- I've just ran through a half dozen of them on my FB. All but one seems to be minus any type of donation. Raising awareness? Who over the age of five is unaware as to the prevalence of cancer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

I thought everyone nominated who takes one was donating a few quid as well, surely?

If not, what is the f'ucking point?

Majority of them didn't appear to be until people started giving out about them, now they seem to be accompanied by a screenshot of a donation.

Advertisement