Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Yeh it's not my choice of addressing cancer awareness, but I'd still be on the "Any awareness is better than none" side of the fence. I see what people are saying though.

I'm also bothered that make-up is seen as the default, rather than the altered female appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Just another excuse to talk about yourself. Just donate if you care so much, my whole newsfeed is full of these dopes, " oh guys I look terrible without make-up but here you go" with replys of "stunning babes x x x"and the thing is instagramed to within an inch of it's life.

I can't block them all ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

WellThen? wrote: »
    Just another excuse to talk about yourself. Just donate if you care so much, my whole newsfeed is full of these dopes, " oh guys I look terrible without make-up but here you go" with replys of "stunning babes x x x"and the thing is instagramed to within an inch of it's life.

I can't block them all ya know.

yes, yes you can. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

It's a load of crap, just donate to the cause and get on with it.

It's news to me that make up affects cancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

I don't see why people need to post a selfie anyway since you could just as easily donate without posting any selfie to begin with or how about people posting that they've donated just showing the screenshot then nominate someone else to donate etc
    It's great that it has been helping and encouraging people to donate though just don't know why they need to justify it with posting a no make up selfie pic .

it needs a gimmic to catch peoples interest and go viral. A photo or message saying I donated x to a cancer charity isn't going to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Wonder how many people checked themselves today though? I'd be surprised if half the people posting these selfies did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Well even if the awareness of the selfies gets people to check them selves & saves 1 or 2 because of early detection then it's a good thing IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Saw a few girls who quite obviously distorted and messed with the light/colour of the photo like really are you that desperate for some attention using cancer you can't even do a no make up selfie properly lol.

Gotta get them likes tho that's whats it's all about eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

I was 'nominated' in 3 of these today. I don't wear make up 99% of the time and I'm not a fan of selfies so I took a screen shot of the message I got back after donating money to breast cancer research and posted that with details about how they could do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

My GF got tagged. She is deliberating whether or not to do it. She only has 24 hours to decide.

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Anyone seen the parody page yet?

Sellotape selfies lol.

Here's an example :pac: (seriously)
    This is amazing but looks painful.
    My GF got tagged. She is deliberating whether or not to do it. She only has 24 hours to decide.

Jesus wept.
    I've been making fun of it all day and just got tagged. She has my sympathy.

As an aside - if I wanted to donate to an Irish-based cancer charity, which would be the best? After the whole CRC fiasco I've never been more wary of big charities that operate like businesses.

Which is the one that uses donations the most for research rather than promotional swag and CEO salaries? Are there any slightly less well-known cancer charities that desperately need funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don't see why people need to post a selfie anyway since you could just as easily donate without posting any selfie to begin with or how about people posting that they've donated just showing the screenshot then nominate someone else to donate etc
    It's great that it has been helping and encouraging people to donate though just don't know why they need to justify it with posting a no make up selfie pic .

Or how about not nominating people to donate? If people want to donate, let them, of they don't, so be it. People should do with their money what they see fit and not what some dope on facebook says they should. It's the equivalent of those people blocking footpaths shaking buckets in front of you shouting about some charity when you can't miss them already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Fair few munters out there but fair dues to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Most of the girls I'm friends with are ugly enough with makeup, no need for them to show how ugly they are without it as well.
    Some of the yokes showing up on my newsfeed with no makeup, jaysus, it'd make you think.

I bet even their dogs would have to close their eyes when they're humping their legs
    Fair few munters out there but fair dues to all involved.
    Make-up can't hide an ugly character though, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

GenieOz wrote: »
    Fishing for likes with that.
    If you're going to donate you should do it anonymously, practically bragging about it or telling people is pathetic.

Why ? Are anonymous donations more likely to help find a cure. The motive is immaterial if the charity gets the funding. It's a bit of fun and raising money and awareness at the same time. I fail to see anything pathetic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Cancer research groups are seeing a surge in donations after all these selfies started.

That's a good thing but as usual on this site we have the typical bollocks of people shooting down anything that results in a positive action. Herd mentality bollocks at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Make-up can't hide an ugly character though, unfortunately.

But artfully applied it can get you the odd ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Damn... Judging by the title I thought I was to be treated with a thread full of pretty girl's unblemished faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Aboslute boll*x. People should post the link to breast cancer awareness instead of a silly picture.

Maybe a million like might create a magical cure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Could it reveal some potentially cancerous growths on the unmade-up skin? If so, I'm in favour. If not, it's a bit strange.

Then men should do one where...they ummmm grow facial hair to cover their face to raise awareness of cancer. Like a moustache but call it a mo and link the name with a month or something

seachto7 wrote: »
    Aboslute boll*x. People should post the link to breast cancer awareness instead of a silly picture.

Maybe a million like might create a magical cure?
    There's been a jump in donations. It's not as useless as people are making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

lertsnim wrote: »
    Cancer research groups are seeing a surge in donations after all these selfies started.

That's a good thing but as usual on this site we have the typical bollocks of people shooting down anything that results in a positive action. Herd mentality bollocks at its finest.

Bollocks.

The herd is correct on this one. All I can see on my Facebook page is girls fishing for compliments:

"u don't need makeup hun, ur lovely anyway"

"stop, i look terrible x"

"no you don't x"

It's cringeworthy **** and there's no doubt in my mind that some of those involved wouldn't have the heart to donate a cent to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

There's been a jump in donations. It's not as useless as people are making out.

There's always a jump in donations. Donations are jumpy feckers

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Bollocks.

The herd is correct on this one. All I can see on my Facebook page is girls fishing for compliments:

"u don't need makeup hun, ur lovely anyway"

"stop, i look terrible x"

"no you don't x"

It's cringeworthy **** and there's no doubt in my mind that some of those involved wouldn't have the heart to donate a cent to charity.
    But as they said, surge in donations.

I think there's lameness to it too but if it's working, I don't care.

Just out of interest, how much free cancer medication is there? If I donate do I get a share of the billions of profits made from the medication every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

But as they said, surge in donations.

I think there's lameness to it too but if it's working, I don't care.

The surge in donations is probably from everyone else digging deep in order to cure cancer now rather than seeing this cringefest on their newsfeed ;)

Increase in donations wouldn't have anything to do with all the people collecting and ads running for daffodil day then?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

Anyone mocking this should contact any rellie they have who has been making a go in Australia for the last several months suffering the bloody Dalek Gun of the Aussie sun and reassess their opinion. Dylan Moran had it pegged. The place is about 1 bus ride plus a train ride from the surface of the Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's definitely not useless. It's a fantastic thing that people are donating to cancer research ect. The only thing that annoys me about it is the fact that my friend's girlfriend and all her equally vacuous mates are putting up selfies of themselves claiming to be doing it for cancer.

Advertisement