Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I notice there is a Moosehead pale ale as well. More expensive though, 4 for €10, as opposed to 6 for €10 for the regular stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Josh Harris is crowdfunding to raise money for his trip to the world university games in Korea and the world classic beer mile championships in San Fran to try and reclaim his world record.

http://www.gofundme.com/joshharris

The guy is a legend and has sent us videos in the past, see a couple of pages back. I'll be stumping up a few quid later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

"Enjoying" a brooklyn lager at the moment to try out the taste.

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

"Enjoying" a brooklyn lager at the moment to try out the taste.

Jaysus.

Brooklyn Lagar is a top top beer IMO, if you think it is crap, you are probably a Heineken fan :p

I have done a good few sessions in the last few weeks, 2 sessions of 3 beers starting every minute and 2 sessions of 4 beers starting every minute (recovery period being what is left of the minute).

3 beers are always fine but the 4th is a real killer, I can't imagine running or even walking after it. Needs more practise......

Worse Meno - Miller or Coors would be my usual.

Worse Meno - Miller or Coors would be my usual.

:eek: You'd love moosehead so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Even Josh Harris waits until less than a week beforehand before adding beer skulling sessions into his training routine. Pace yourselves lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

It is with great regret that I must withdraw from this prestigious event. After another visit to the physio with my achilles problem,several weeks of little or no running I think it is the sensible thing to do. Whatever improvement I make between now and then could be jeopardised by a drink fuelled 4 laps so the new sensible me is saying that it is just not worth the risk. The old not so sensible me would have said fc*k it, it'll be great craic but I'm getting older and wiser these days.

Enjoy all and enjoy the beers!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Bad luck there RR!

I'll be attending the Aviva for the Scotland match myself so won't make this esteemed event either.
    Any ideas on where ye will be for drinks that night? Around 10pm?
    Would be good to catch up on all the frothy stories!

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    It is with great regret that I must withdraw from this prestigious event. After another visit to the physio with my achilles problem,several weeks of little or no running I think it is the sensible thing to do. Whatever improvement I make between now and then could be jeopardised by a drink fuelled 4 laps so the new sensible me is saying that it is just not worth the risk. The old not so sensible me would have said fc*k it, it'll be great craic but I'm getting older and wiser these days.

Enjoy all and enjoy the beers!:)

Come out for beers anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Come out for beers anyway !

I may well do that if I can get a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Just over a week to go now. Anyone got any idea how many will line up in the final field? Will any ladies be competing for the vacant National title?

Any idea where the post race beers are taking place ?

We made out way back towards town last year. Not sure if anything's been decided on yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Just over a week to go now. Anyone got any idea how many will line up in the final field? Will any ladies be competing for the vacant National title?

:( looks like I'll be in Ferns so I'm out for that one. We were going to do a more prestigious, classy (and higher alcohol :eek:) Prosecco mile anyway ;) BG was front runner for that one. She had a whole week of warm weather training!! Although no doubt there are a few dark horses lurking here....

• Advertisement

We made out way back towards town last year. Not sure if anything's been decided on yet?

all will be revealed this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    :( looks like I'll be in Ferns so I'm out for that one. We were going to do a more prestigious, classy (and higher alcohol :eek:) Prosecco mile anyway ;) BG was front runner for that one. She had a whole week of warm weather training!! Although no doubt there are a few dark horses lurking here....

I like the sound of the prosecco mile! Far classier.
    I've even done some calculations :-) Someone needs to check them though as I'm not great at maths! If the beer mile uses 355ml of a 5% alcohol beer, that's 17.75ml of alcohol. If we used a 12% alcohol Prosecco, then 17.75 ml of alcohol would be in a 147.9ml serving, let's just call it 150ml. I think I could knock that back! It would be 600ml for the mile so less than a bottle.

Now the volume is a lot less so will be quicker to drink and less sloshing around while running, but I think that could be balanced by the male/female speed advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

chickey2 wrote: »
    I like the sound of the prosecco mile! Far classier.
    I've even done some calculations :-) Someone needs to check them though as I'm not great at maths! If the beer mile uses 355ml of a 5% alcohol beer, that's 17.75ml of alcohol. If we used a 12% alcohol Prosecco, then 17.75 ml of alcohol would be in a 147.9ml serving, let's just call it 150ml. I think I could knock that back! It would be 600ml for the mile so less than a bottle.

Now the volume is a lot less so will be quicker to drink and less sloshing around while running, but I think that could be balanced by the male/female speed advantage.

Nice work Chickey! I'm still not convinced spending a night in A&E having my stomach pumped would be the best preparation for Dunshaughlin the following week....Do we need someone (sober) to do the timing ? Shoot the obligatory video ? Hold peoples' hair back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hold peoples' hair back ?

You funny fecker :pac:

I was thinking about it, but I'm thinking logistically...whatever about frothing and taking about 20 mins to run a mile..... I can't imagine necking 4 beers without needing a wee :o

You funny fecker :pac:

I was thinking about it, but I'm thinking logistically...whatever about frothing and taking about 20 mins to run a mile..... I can't imagine necking 4 beers without needing a wee :o

Ha you won't have time for it all to get through your bladder before it's ovwr.

• Advertisement

Ha you won't have time for it all to get through your bladder before it's ovwr.

I dunno Muler :pac:

It's really not the alcohol content that does the damage. It's the gas, and the sheer volume of liquid sitting in your gut as you run.

I'd be of the opinion that something like Cider can be allowed as it is similar to beer, but things like wine etc shouldn't really be, although I would be in favour of such novelty events being the warm up events for the main event. Maybe make a full meet out of this. I've seen a few lads in Australia do a Cruiser 400. Neck one bottle of Vodka Cruiser, followed by a flat out 400. Some lad managed around 60-61 if my memory serves me.

I've no bother with the prosecco mile going ahead alongside the beermile but as Chivito says they are seperate events.
    There is very little if any difference in using say a 4% beer over a 6% beer once they are the same volume (obviously other than how drunk you will feel after the race :)).
    So yeah why not run them at the same time? but lets have 2 separate winners out of it?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've no bother with the prosecco mile going ahead alongside the beermile but as Chivito says they are seperate events.
    There is very little if any difference in using say a 4% beer over a 6% beer once they are the same volume (obviously other than how drunk you will feel after the race :)).
    So yeah why not run them at the same time? but lets have 2 separate winners out of it?

And the beer mile is obviously the warm up to the Prosecco mile, right?! :p

And the beer mile is obviously the warm up to the Prosecco mile, right?! :p

Nah, they could both be the main event, run them simultaneously I say with seperate results.
    Pint of lager for the man, white wine for the lady :pac:

No no, we're all equal now remember. Some nice refined men might want to partake in the Prosecco mile ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

No no, we're all equal now remember. Some nice refined men might want to partake in the Prosecco mile ;)

That guy from the mini marathon might want to do the prosecco mile!

Sadly I can't make the event but will be looking forward to the results. Will there be a live tracker?!

Nice work Chickey! I'm still not convinced spending a night in A&E having my stomach pumped would be the best preparation for Dunshaughlin the following week....Do we need someone (sober) to do the timing ? Shoot the obligatory video ? Hold peoples' hair back ?

Are you volunteering? I had the Mrs lined up but that's a no go now!

I'll stick up final details next week but I've had 10 Pms from people saying they are interested in running this. I know of another 5 who are in but are too ****ing lazy to message me. I'll stick up a list of all runners over the weekend.

I'm all for the proseco mile, it can be run simultaneously but with a separate winner for each race.

The "event" will start at 7.30 giving us enough time to watch the Ireland vs Scotland game.

Regards post race refreshments, the best bet is to jump on the bus back into the city centre so that it's easy for people to get home later that night. We want to avoid the immediate area around the aviva because of post match drinks etc. I was going to suggest synnots on Stephens green as they serve food. However thinking about it they probably (and no other pub either) will be serving food by the time we get in. If anyone would like to suggest an alternative fire away.

Good thing about Sinnotts is it's at the end of the Luas line too (and the luas is a bit more reliable than the 145) any other bar in the area is fine too. There are loads of Burger kings and Maccy d's on grafton st anyway if the bar doesn't serve food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I can bring someone to time or take photos/film.

Now the question is to train or not to train for the event.........

I can bring someone to time or take photos/film.

Now the question is to train or not to train for the event.........

You had better train for it. Because you've been doing some trash talking for the last 12 months.

Excellent, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Yeah I can help. I'll be in sensible Mammy mode.

Partaking isn't looking likely, but I can help out too for sure. I can take all the rubbish (no puke bags though :P ) and drop 3 (and a half) people into town after :D

I'm in the swish D24 area so if anyone needs a lift to it, more than happy to help, just need a pm with VERY CLEAR directions :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's more people helping out than there are running/drinking.

I'm in anyway, I'll send a PM today!

Yeah I can help. I'll be in sensible Mammy mode.

Cheers. My mammy use to give me a hug and make me a fry the morning of a hangover by the way! Just throwing that out there!

Partaking isn't looking likely, but I can help out too for sure. I can take all the rubbish (no puke bags though :P ) and drop 3 (and a half) people into town after :D

I'm in the swish D24 area so if anyone needs a lift to it, more than happy to help, just need a pm with VERY CLEAR directions :D

I may take you up on a lift. Readdress I'll stick up directions to the track over the weekend.

I might go for the lift too. I'm by Marley Park, so fairly close to Dublin 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Sounds like you might be full at this stage, but if not, I am actually IN D24, so if you want to dump one of these other losers in favour of a convenient pick-up, that'd be just dandy...

• Advertisement

For anyone stuck for a lift from the D24/ D16/ D14 area, the 75 bus leaves you within a few miles of the track, I'd be happy enough to pick up anyone at Deans Grange or Bakers Corner an hour or so before the race.

I'd be thinking of heading down to The Horse and Hound in Cabinteely to catch the 2nd half of the Ireland v Scotland match too if anyone is interested? It's just 10 minutes walk to the track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

davedanon wrote: »
    Sounds like you might be full at this stage, but if not, I am actually IN D24, so if you want to dump one of these other losers in favour of a convenient pick-up, that'd be just dandy...

Jaysus Dave - 'a convenient pick-up' :eek: Have some pride man !!!

kit3 wrote: »
    Jaysus Dave - 'a convenient pick-up' :eek: Have some pride man !!!

Beggars can't be choosers...

What's the story with getting back to town afterwards. Luas mentioned as being more reliable than the 145 but is the Luas close enough to the track ? Would have thought it was quite a distance away.

What's the story with getting back to town afterwards. Luas mentioned as being more reliable than the 145 but is the Luas close enough to the track ? Would have thought it was quite a distance away.

Wouldn't think public transport would be a good option for you in your mankini :D

The 145 bus is handy enough, albeit not very frequent. Not sure how far the nearest Luas stop is away, but I'd imagine the bus is definitely more convenient.

Wouldn't think public transport would be a good option for you in your mankini :D

The 145 bus is handy enough, albeit not very frequent. Not sure how far the nearest Luas stop is away, but I'd imagine the bus is definitely more convenient.

I do hills in winter right by the cinder track in Kilbogget and occasionally get the LUAS out. It's not near the track at all. It's about a 20 min walk. I tend to jog it as a warm up on the way, but not really an option after a beer mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

10/15 minute walk I'd say?

351062.PNG

It's less than a mile from the Track to the Luas at Cherrywood.
    The first year most people came to the track via Luas, I think KC met them there and everyone jogged down to the track. Having waited for ages for a bus last year, doing a cool down jog up to the Luas might be a better idea.
    I have the dublinbus app on my phone anyway so I can have a look at that after the race and decide.

Wouldn't think public transport would be a good option for you in your "Costume of the forums choice" :D

FYP

;)

Luas to Heuston and the 145 out would be an option for getting there.

I may take you up on a lift. Readdress I'll stick up directions to the track over the weekend.
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    I might go for the lift too. I'm by Marley Park, so fairly close to Dublin 24.
    davedanon wrote: »

No bother, just let us know where's handiest to pick yas up.

If yas have all your barfing done I can do drops to the luas stop. How many are going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement