Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

SD card was out, now i am not sure if i had my sim out. I am sure i did.... Will i try it again or is there away to put it back the way it was before?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats fine, go to the next step. You can see in settings-->about phone your phone is on JVU gingerbread but keep going and you'll get ICS. It's worth it.

You'll not get phone network without a sim ;)

Cheers i will try it now. I have put the sim in and it still says insert sim or no sim inserted! Are you in Dublin i'd pay you to do mine :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

dubhoop wrote: »
    SD card was out, now i am not sure if i had my sim out. I am sure i did.... Will i try it again or is there away to put it back the way it was before?

Just check you are on JVU gingerbread and keep going. If you're not on JVU do the Odin flash again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Cheers i will try it now. I have put the sim in and it still says insert sim or no sim inserted! Are you in Dublin i'd pay you to do mine :-)

Next thing to try is flash another modem, it`s possible that that is not for you.

Just check you are on JVU gingerbread and keep going. If you're not on JVU do the Odin flash again

Cheers PogMoThoin phone is on charge and then i'll carry on. If i tell you the details i have now on about phone would you have a better idea? Is there a chance i can render the phone useless?

Cheers PogMoThoin phone is on charge and then i'll carry on. If i tell you the details i have now on about phone would you have a better idea? Is there a chance i can render the phone useless?

Maybe, worst case scenario is you'd need to flash another modem with Odin. What provider are you with? People have different experiences with modems and different networks.

I've never messed about much with modems, I'm with Vodafone and never had a reason to. I know Lewis did though, he'll advise. I wouldn't be too worried about it, get to Slim ICS first, then try others if it's not working.

Model Number GT-I9000
    Firmware Version 2.3.6
    Baseband Version unknown
    Kernel Version 2.6.35.7-I9000XXJVU-CL851880-se.infra@SEI-22#2
    Build Number GINGERBREAD.XXJVU

Maybe, worst case scenario is you'd need to flash another modem with Odin. What provider are you with? People have different experiences with modems and different networks.

I've never messed about much with modems, I'm with Vodafone and never had a reason to. I know Lewis did though, he'll advise. I wouldn't be too worried about it, get to Slim ICS first, then try others if it's not working.

The phone was with Meteor but i unlocked to sim free through the factory codes i received from Meteor.

Model Number GT-I9000
    Firmware Version 2.3.6
    Baseband Version unknown
    Kernel Version 2.6.35.7-I9000XXJVU-CL851880-se.infra@SEI-22#2
    Build Number GINGERBREAD.XXJVU

Looks like you've got the first step fine, your phone is on stock Gingerbread JVU. If you're feeling worried go through the first Odin flash once again. You've about 4 more flashes to make to get to Slim so don't bother setting the phone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

lewis wrote: »
    First things first, try a reflash, it`s some time required in some cases...

Did you have your SIM/SD card out when you flashed it?

No good with a re-flash and didn't have SIM/SD out.

Need to get it back up and running sharpish so using PogMoThoins guide above to go from scratch.

Only thing I'm wondering is should I stick with Slim 3.5 as I was having no issues with it? Anyone else have issues with 3.6?

Cheers.

PogMoThoin your a legend. Nice one. everything is ace. ;-)

Only thing I'm wondering is should I stick with Slim 3.5 as I was having no issues with it? Anyone else have issues with 3.6?

Cheers.

3.6 is fine, no problems.

Need to get it back up and running sharpish so using PogMoThoins guide above to go from scratch.

Cheers.

The changelog from 3.5 to 3.6 is tiny. I've no problems with 3.6, it's a flyer.
    http://www.slimroms.com/changelogdownloadlink.htm

You use the Update app to download the 2 Slim files? It does an md5 check so you know they're not corrupt.
    PogMoThoin your a legend. Nice one. everything is ace. ;-)

How far you got? You'll be amazed when you get to Slim, you won't believe it's the same phone. The Zeam launcher is also the lightest launcher I've come across.

The changelog from 3.5 to 3.6 is tiny. I've no problems with 3.6, it's a flyer.
    http://www.slimroms.com/changelogdownloadlink.htm

You use the Update app to download the 2 Slim files? It does an md5 check so you know they're not corrupt.

How far you got? You'll be amazed when you get to Slim, you won't believe it's the same phone. The Zeam launcher is also the lightest launcher I've come across.

Ok, so i thought i done ICS but it turns out its still 2.3.6 :-/ am gonna take a break for couple hours argh

Ok, so i thought i done ICS but it turns out its still 2.3.6 :-/ am gonna take a break for couple hours argh

Second Odin flash is just a Gingerbread kernel. It also roots the phone and adds a better ClockWorkMod recovery to enable flashing to ICS. You do not Odin flash to ICS, you use CWM which is a whole new ballgame. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Cheers.

Same thing happened to me when I tried to update to 3.6. The installer said it was a bad file and I was stuck in a boot loop. So I just re-flashed GB then installed Team icssgs and then re-downloaded slim 3.6 just in case they were bad and flashed it no problem. 3.6 is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Thanks PogMoThoin, got a Galaxy S off a friend of mine today that was totally stock, I had rooted and flashed a couple of phones/tablets before, but that was the clearest walkthrough I've ever seen for one, I had in done in around 40 minutes from finding to thread, downloading everything and going through the whole process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

Done
    just Restoring all my apps and data from Titanium,
    looks good so far.
    when it booted up after I had completed everything, i panicked as the three home screens were empty, so I re-flashed and it was just empty screens again, this time I started pressing buttons, this is when i noticed that the home screens had no apps on them as they were in the background screens, silly me.

current about phone
    android 4.0.4
    baseband i9000xxjvt
    kernel 3.0.8-g0fa7927-dirty-ar@ar-lenovo-b570 #1
    build 3.6
    mod slim ics 4.04

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

I have tried to set the lock screen but it never appears. I have screen time out once I press the power or home button it just goes to the home screen without an unlock. Anybody any ideas. Also is there anywhere you can set what the home button does. Thanks for your help.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Yeah the Zeam launcher is very lean and has no apps or widgets at first. The first time I flashed Slim it booted and it hadn't even any dock items. I got a fright until i figured it out. I've tried most launchers, none has as many features as this and remain as light on memory.

I've started getting a low on space notification bug even though I've lots of space everywhere. Uninstalling Google Currents sorted it for now but I know it'll reappear. Same happened a while back also. I've most apps moved to SD. Anyone know a fix?

• Advertisement

Yeah the Zeam launcher is very lean and has no apps or widgets at first. The first time I flashed Slim it booted and it hadn't even any dock items. I got a fright until i figured it out. I've tried most launchers, none has as many features as this and remain as light on memory.

I've started getting a low on space notification bug even though I've lots of space everywhere. Uninstalling Google Currents sorted it for now but I know it'll reappear. Same happened a while back also. I've most apps moved to SD. Anyone know a fix?

If when you flash you have no items in the Zeam dock it's a problem through flashing as they should be there. It happened to me first time around so I re-flashed and they were there. Don't think its a major problem though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Click me.

Ste- wrote: »

Thank you kindly.

This is the extra link for Slim users, it's linked at the very bottom (it's always worthwhile reading the whole thing first)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=24054341&postcount=98

I've tried that low memory fix and it didn't work for me, just had to move some apps to SD using TB.
    Out of curiosity, anyone going to get the SGS3?

I've tried that low memory fix and it didn't work for me, just had to move some apps to SD using TB.

Thinking maybe for xmas coz I can't afford nor excuse the price tag to the OH.
    So cest la vie.
    Would be very tempted but the thoughts of going back to stock coz of lack of CM is daunting.

Yep, due an upgrade in June.

Admittedly, I was planning on moving to HTC. There's something about the feel of HTC that makes them seem better built, with a metalic back like there was on the Desire etc. I've always felt the SGS was a slippery bastard, nearly fell several times as the back is so shiny and hard to grip. But after playing with a mates One X I'm not overly impressed, it has a polycarbon back and feels very Samsungy overall. Both phones are about neck and neck but there are a few things tipping the scale for the SGS3 for me, the slightly bigger screen, a removable battery (hate that shít, a nasty practice), an sd slot and the 50GB Dropbox space. I actually like the look of it.

I think it's got potential, it's trying to be new and different, it's a risky move, will take a bit of getting used to be but in the end, people will want one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Well my Galaxy S has broken again for the third time in 18 months.
    After a long time waiting Samsung have agree to send me a replacement phone. The customer service guy said it won't be an SGS. I'm hoping it might be a Galaxy S 2.
    I'm hoping it won't be the Galaxy S Advance i9070 as there are no Romsey on XDA for it and as of yet no kernel with root......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Holding onto my upgrade until it's released anyway.

TBH since I bout the TouchPad and stuck Android on it I'm finding myself using my phone less and less for anything other than Navigation and calling/texting. I have full internet access at work all day for anything else I need to do so the phone has been relegated a bit!

That's the main reason I'm liking Slims so much, it's fast, simple and reliable.

G1032 wrote: »
    After a long time waiting Samsung have agree to send me a replacement phone. The customer service guy said it won't be an SGS. I'm hoping it might be a Galaxy S 2.
    I'm hoping it won't be the Galaxy S Advance i9070 as there are no Romsey on XDA for it and as of yet no kernel with root......

This maybe ?

• Advertisement

This maybe ?
    Maybe. Loads of roms for that around. As long as it's no the i9070 I don't mind

Just root your own ROM/Kernel then.

Just root your own ROM/Kernel then.
    If I knew how to do that I wouldn't need Roms or Kernels from XDA
    And before you say it, no I don't have the time to learn how it's done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

@ PogMoThoin

How long does it take to flash to the newer JVU Gingerbread?
    I added the files in Odin and clicked start. The screenshot attached was taken about 20 minutes after I clicked start

@ PogMoThoin

How long does it take to flash to the newer JVU Gingerbread?
    I added the files in Odin and clicked start. The screenshot attached was taken about 20 minutes after I clicked start

Is the phone still in download mode? It should take 5mins, no more and your phone should reboot itself when done. When your phone is rebooting unplug it. Maybe yours is stuck, try pulling the battery and starting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is the phone still in download mode? It should take 5mins, no more and your phone should reboot itself when done. When your phone is rebooting unplug it. Maybe yours is stuck, try pulling the battery and starting again.

yeah it's still in download mode but no progress bar or anything like that has appeared at all. I will try pulling the battery and starting again. Thanks.

EDIT: it seems to be working now :)

2ND EDIT: phone is running Slim now, everything seems to be good!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

Hi All,

I've run in to problems with my Galaxy S. I'd really appreciate a little help if you kind folks would oblige. I've owned my Galaxy S since the days of Froyo, and have been upgrading gradually and currently have XXJVU on my phone. I've had everything up to Build 17 on my phone but have ended up back on XXJVU for the FM radio.

My phone has been misbehaving of late. I've tried flashing some of the new builds but when I install the zip from the SD card and reboot, it has a think about it and goes straight back to the reboot option in CWM. I've reflashed XXJUV and Root loads of times and tried again but the same keeps on happening. I always Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe cache partition and clear Dalvik cache but no change. Any advice please?

Thanks

iwishiknew wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've run in to problems with my Galaxy S. I'd really appreciate a little help if you kind folks would oblige. I've owned my Galaxy S since the days of Froyo, and have been upgrading gradually and currently have XXJVU on my phone. I've had everything up to Build 17 on my phone but have ended up back on XXJVU for the FM radio.

My phone has been misbehaving of late. I've tried flashing some of the new builds but when I install the zip from the SD card and reboot, it has a think about it and goes straight back to the reboot option in CWM. I've reflashed XXJUV and Root loads of times and tried again but the same keeps on happening. I always Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe cache partition and clear Dalvik cache but no change. Any advice please?

Thanks

What version of CWM have you? Follow my post with my files and see how it goes.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78591599&postcount=4992

What version of CWM have you? Follow my post with my files and see how it goes.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78591599&postcount=4992

All worked perfectly....thanks for reposting. I think I had re-partition in Odin ticked for both the XXJVU and root flashes. I hadn't flashed Slim before..it's fantastic, so quick in comparison to my failing 2.3.6. Just have to solve my problem with Titanium backup and get a compatible non data using FM radio....

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

slim 3.6 is out

slim 3.6 is out

Yep, and all the links are in the post above yours courtesy of Pog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

iwishiknew wrote: »
    Yep, and all the links are in the post above yours courtesy of Pog...

ah I didn't realise it was released a few days ago, i only got the update notice this evening.

ah I didn't realise it was released a few days ago, i only got the update notice this evening.

You can change the frequency of the update check in the update app, otherwise I think the default is check on boot.

Anyone on JW5?
    It any good?

I`ve got to start from scratch...grrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone on JW5?
    It any good?

I`ve got to start from scratch...grrr

Why do you have to start from scratch? And whats so good about JW5 supposedly?

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Why do you have to start from scratch? And whats so good about JW5 supposedly?

Phone fell into a bowl of fruit loops, can`t get into recovery, damn milk.

Just having a look on Sam and it seems to be the latest, not sure if the best or great, hence why I`m asking here, I`ve been on JVQ for donkeys, not to mention I hav`nt used Odin in ages either..

Edit: I could also get away with flashing CM`s initial kernel, but I thought I`d try out something new, or different.

Phone fell into a bowl of fruit loops, can`t get into recovery, damn milk.

Just having a look on Sam and it seems to be the latest, not sure if the best or great, hence why I`m asking here, I`ve been on JVQ for donkeys, not to mention I hav`nt used Odin in ages either..

You mloc33 on xda? haha

That's unfortunate man. Happened to me as well when I updated it to 3.6. Haven't tried the other but what difference would it provide over JVQ? Im using JVU at the moment, is it not the type of modem provided?

shizz wrote: »
    You mloc33 on xda? haha

That's unfortunate man. Happened to me as well when I updated it to 3.6. Haven't tried the other but what difference would it provide over JVQ? Im using JVU at the moment, is it not the type of modem provided?

I was on 3.6 since it`s release no problems, until I did the first CWM backup, from the on it was all down hill.

That`s what I`m wondering is there or not or is it basically them same..

I`ve been busy and not been able to keep up with the way of the Android, just out for some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hi guys,

Quick question. I have 6 months left on my galaxy S meteor bill contract but im moving to oz in july. Looks like my only option is to buy out the contract. Sucks, but to be fair thats what id signed up to.

Anyway when I get the phone unlocked does anyone know if it will work without any issues in australia? Or is there anything I need to be aware of? Cheers!

LaHaine wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Quick question. I have 6 months left on my galaxy S meteor bill contract but im moving to oz in july. Looks like my only option is to buy out the contract. Sucks, but to be fair thats what id signed up to.

Anyway when I get the phone unlocked does anyone know if it will work without any issues in australia? Or is there anything I need to be aware of? Cheers!

I'm guessing there may or may not be an issue with the baseband/modem? but my thinking could be incorrect. Might be something to look into.

• Advertisement
Advertisement