Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Did 7 laps on Zwift as part of a trial account. It's good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the wind was intense today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did 58k from Bray to Giant store in Walkinstown and back to sort out my new Defy, wind was absolutely miserable in my face all the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Rode the Kings Mountain 200 today. Woke up a 5am and thought grand I've plenty of time to get to the start. Lying in bed saying to myself I'll get up in a minute. Next thing I know it's 6.30 and I should be signing on. :eek:
    Decided to get my ass up and ride the route solo. Tough day in that wind and rain. No wheel to shelter behind all day. Still glad I got out and rode the damn thing.

232Kms Avg 23.1km/h
    https://www.strava.com/activities/261141916

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Home to Galway to cycle with my friend to Moycullen and Spidal, then back home in the rain after some biscuits.

111.9km - 4:39:28 - 594m
    Avg: 24km/h - 136 Watts

The weather was fine until I was coming home, then it was just rain non-stop. But the Luke Express rolls regardless.

https://www.strava.com/activities/261017669

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Side note - does anyone in the Rathfarnham area know how to true a wheel. I hope its not too bad.

What about Expert Cycles in the Village?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Rode the Kings Mountain 200 today. Woke up a 5am and thought grand I've plenty of time to get to the start. Lying in bed saying to myself I'll get up in a minute. Next thing I know it's 6.30 and I should be signing on. :eek:
    Decided to get my ass up and ride the route solo. Tough day in that wind and rain. No wheel to shelter behind all day. Still glad I got out and rode the damn thing.

232Kms Avg 23.1km/h
    https://www.strava.com/activities/261141916

Did ya get proofs of passage at the controls? You might get credit for RRTY if so.

T'was a good spin. New bike got its debut audax and many admiring comments. Serious wind to contend with but managed a 23.1kph average too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Hey The tax man, you nicked my stats! I rode the King's Mountain today too, but as part of the group. 232km 23.1 avg.
    King's Mountain 200

I too was riding my new audax bike, a fully tricked Lynskey titanium, it's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Almost killed myself climbing up kilmashogue lane this morning..came closer to killing myself on the way down though. Back slid out and aimed for the side of the road where there was a small bit of mud to slow me own but ended up going straight into a wall....
    Sandwell wrote: »
    Made it up Kilmashogue Lane for the first time this morning. I had to bail out (almost at the top, as it happens) when I attempted it on tired legs towards the end of last year but I attacked it fresh today and made it up without too much difficulty, albeit at a snail's pace. It's bloody steep...
    Hope you're ok TripleMinor!

I also gave it a lash today! It was my 3rd attempt and it's not getting any easier. The howling headwind and crosswinds made it tough going. When I was on the final ramp 2 lads in vans were stopped in conversation blocking the bloody road so I had to unclip and then try to get going again. I also had 100k in the legs at that stage! I then descended like a granny due to the difficult conditions. :pac:

Some day I'll try it with fresh legs.

https://app.strava.com/activities/261130667

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I took on the Walkinstown Roundabout today.

Like a boss.

I was quite the scardy cat tbh.

That was my main victory :o

Other than that, managed 101 km for the day, along with my second time cycling in a group.

After leaving the group, the last 12 km were super tough, and into brutal winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Did ya get proofs of passage at the controls? You might get credit for RRTY if so.

T'was a good spin. New bike got its debut audax and many admiring comments. Serious wind to contend with but managed a 23.1kph average too...

Yeah I made sure I collected some receipts along the route. Met Paul and Aidan at the finish and they were fine with them.
    Hey The tax man, you nicked my stats! I rode the King's Mountain today too, but as part of the group. 232km 23.1 avg.
    King's Mountain 200

I too was riding my new audax bike, a fully tricked Lynskey titanium, it's brilliant!

I couldn't imagine doing a 200 on anything else. They're so comfy.
    You started your day only about 200 mts up the road from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Decided to get my ass up and ride the route solo. Tough day in that wind and rain. No wheel to shelter behind all day.

Kudos to your willpower! I'd tuck back in sheets at this stage.

After you've asked me about Kingsmountain the other day I decided to make my first half-arsed attempt in audaxing this year, despite tight family schedule. So I went with the group until Summerhill and turned back home. A mere 100k for me today... some nasty wind (from all directions! only in Ireland), but luckily no rain on my route.

https://app.strava.com/activities/260864131

A lovely frame! Very recognizable as Lynskey (curved seatstays), I've eyeballed it with pleasure this morning :P
    I couldn't imagine doing a 200 on anything else. They're so comfy.

35mm tyres are comfier :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Did 90k this morning. Maynooth to past Kinnegad and back. Headwind both ways - getting stronger as we headed home. Tough spin but worth the effort - it'll stand to me.

On the plus side I needed new gloves and won 2 vouchers in a raffle last night - so picked up these for €25 after the vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Got out early today as the forecast wasn't. Looking good

Tallaght balnascorney manor Kilbride Sallysgap home via stocking lane ,got in just before the wind and rain got to heavy

Really struggled up the hills (going to blame the wind )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

70k miserable day , constant rain out to moyvally then lashed snow for the journey home , and it stuck . Not the greatest of days to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

65k today - Clonmel, Carrick(Seskin), Rathgormack, Clonmel.

Serious rain and even more serious wind under the mountains near Rathgormack.

All in memory of a very special little girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My fastest ever home to Sutton, a few ups and downs of Howth Head followed by my slowest and wettest Sutton to home. Why didn't I get out of bed and on the road earlier? At least I had the sense to stay away from the mountains (well done jober).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did 80km - started well out around dunsany and kilmessan. Then the rain started - few drops first, then a sudden 5 degree temp drop and sleet / snow for the last 20km home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Probably the worst cycle of my life. Had some rain after about 20km. Stopped in The Naul for soup.

Came out to wind and snow. Within 10km it was a full on blizzard. My chain started skipping and her chain ring clogged up with ice and froze completely solid. No amount of shaking or banging would unseize it.

I had to hide the bikes and phone for a lift.

Ended up with 42km done of a planned 65.

:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Down in south Wexford for the weekend so took a dawn run yesterday around the ring of Hook and today up to Dunbrody abbey and all the little l-roads around great island. It's become a favourite illicit pleasure in getting up, out for a spin, and back while everyone else is asleep in time to brew up the coffee and get breakfast going. Only about 80k for the weekend and pretty flat at that, but a great buzz all the same. Nice that the crap weather didn't kick in until about 9am on either day,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Headed out today with the club. It looked grand this morning when I set off to meet up with everyone but after 10 mins it started to rain and kept raining for the whole spin. I was never as cold in my life, between the wind going through me and being completely soaked from the rain it was a miserable day.

I turned down a lift home when we were finished the spin and it was the worst decision I have ever made. It's a 10km cycle home and after 2km the hailstones started and were tearing the skin off my face. Pushing on I didn't think it would get worse but sure enough it did and it started to snow with 5km left. Roads were lethal and nearly had an off but managed to save it and continued gingerly home. I was nearly froze to the bike but after a nice hot bath all was well in the world again.

64.4km, 25km/h, 283m

https://www.strava.com/activities/261437007

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I think this morning was the worst time I ever spent on the bike, club spin planned for 90k, cut it short to 50k, the rain and hailstones together with the howling gale was something to behold

Got home, it took me what felt like five minutes to get the key out of my pocked and remove the gloves from my frozen fingers.

really was a winter miles = summer smiles day for the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Due to work commitments and the man flu hadn't been out for 7 or 8 weeks. What a day to start back, only 2 things worst than a sore arse and that's a wet and cold, sore arse. ! It can only get better, only managed a measly 30 km spin, good to be back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Really bad in some areas of Cork this morning, and yes I fell on the ice. I wasn't hurt and thanks to the lady who stopped to check I was ok (but to be honest she almost had to as I was blocking the entire lane!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The_Sub wrote: »
    Really bad in some areas of Cork this morning, and yes I fell on the ice. I wasn't hurt and thanks to the lady who stopped to check I was ok (but to be honest she almost had to as I was blocking the entire lane!).
    Glad to hear that your OK.
    Plenty of ground frost along the N11 but wasn't to slippy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

this weather is so temperamental and driving me nuts. its sunny then windy then pissing rain then snowing and im dying to get out for a cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Roquentin wrote: »
    this weather is so temperamental and driving me nuts. its sunny then windy then pissing rain then snowing and im dying to get out for a cycle.

Just go man! If you keep waiting for weather there is not going to be much cycling done.
    There is NO BAD WEATHER just wrong kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

first 15 mins of my cycle to work was horrendous.

cycling down hill into a strong head wind and sleeting into my face. could not help closing my eyes and lowering the head. Just about forced myself to peer out and head up to make sure that I would not cycle into the kerb, car or pedestrian.

A bit windy on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Decided to hit the mountains today as I haven't done any climbing since I started back cycling and thought it would be interesting to see how my legs coped.

Cycled into Kinnity and went up the R440 to where the Loais/Offaly Border is and headed back home. I have a fair bit of work to do but I now have a starting point and descending back down was fun too :)

Going to have to build more hill training into my training.

I have also noticed that my average cadence is rising over the last few weeks which I'm happy with.

89Km, 26.1kmh, 749m

https://www.strava.com/activities/262877636

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time spin up Cruagh to Johnny Foxes and back, really lovely out there today. Was way too warm in the full winter gear, time to start losing a few layers. And a few pounds seeing how my already crap climbing has deteriorated over the winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement