Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

decided to avoid the wind and cold today so half an hour on the turbo. they really are feckin awful boring mind numbing yokes. hopfully wind fecks off by this evening and can get out for an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

35k for me today. Headwind on the way out and floated home although I had to listen to a knackered freehub most of the way home. Some tlc needed in the lbs tomorrow to get back to hearing myself suffering instead

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

neris wrote: »
    decided to avoid the wind and cold today so half an hour on the turbo. they really are feckin awful boring mind numbing yokes. hopfully wind fecks off by this evening and can get out for an hour

Wind died down abit this evening and rain fecked off so got a nice quick hilly proper 18k spin in around Howth tonight. One new PR on starva. Been a while since i remember seeing one of them before.

One little fecker of a wall though ive started using on the back roads though at the junction of balkhill and windgate road. Killer but enjoyable when you hit the flat

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

You know its going to be a tough day on the bike when you get to your first descent and you have to keep pushing (in small ring) to get down it due to the wind. Still got a nice 76km in felt like double that on the legs but hey, no pain no gain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

All set for a good spin today, hoping to get out just after 10am, til I got caught up watching the cricket, ( & what a game ) so as soon as we got the win I was off. Quick 33km as I was in work for 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I head-butted a pigeon on my cycle this morning.

Someone walking on the path startled it and it flew away from them and straight into the front of my helmet. Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the helmet mega-thread ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

quozl wrote: »

Someone walking on the path startled it and it flew away from them and straight into the front of my helmet. Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the helmet mega-thread ;)

I always fear that happening to me when I see them fly up close to me :eek:. It's good to know you survived!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

gadetra wrote: »
    I always fear that happening to me when I see them fly up close to me :eek:. It's good to know you survived!

It was surprisingly light! It wasn't even sore - for me. I felt a bit sorry for the pigeon :)

Yuck though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the helmet mega-thread ;)

Why? Were the pigeons wearing helmets?

f072b41f09530248a2c74687c4517088.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cant imagine what its like having your head whacked by a bird, especially early in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Got an hour in on the turbo last night, fecking miracle I got anything at all done this week so happy enough to keep the legs ticking over. Out for my first 100 km of the year on Saturday. Should be ok as I did 93 km last week so not a whole heap of a jump. Already looking forward to the bacon sandwich and coffee afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

mmmmmh bacon sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

1 degree and snowing this morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

I had a goal to do a 100km cycle by the end of February but on Monday I realised I only had a week to do it. With the weather being crap and work being busy I didn't think I was going to get out.

From checking the forecast the only day that looked possible was today and luckily enough I had today off work so decided to try my best.

I headed out at 10 and wanted to try complete it in 4 hours with an average speed of 25km/h as I thought it would have been a doable time but as the day went on the wind got stronger and stronger and I was wishing had was in a group but that wasn't going to get me home.

At 80km my legs were dead from pushing into the wind for so long and even the slightest hill had me changing down through the gears. I managed to struggle on and made it home with 100.8km done.

I was delighted to be home as the wind had everything taken out of me. Time to put the feet up for a day or two I think

100.8km, 27km/h, 500m

https://www.strava.com/activities/260516842/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

27kmh for your first 100k and 253 suffer score? Impressive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

pretty pissed because its so windy and i cant cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I walked my bike home today :( the pedals are spinning but the wheel ain't moving. My inexperienced self says it's the free hub. Debating weather to take it back to the shop I got it, or bring it to a more capable shop and just get it fixed.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Freehub is either busted or some dirt/grime has gotten in and is preventing the little mechs from catching! What hub is it?

Zyzz wrote: »
    Freehub is either busted or some dirt/grime has gotten in and is preventing the little mechs from catching! What hub is it?
    I'm not sure
    It's a 105 groupset ( 2014 cube peletron pro or race)

Had a freehub replaced by LBS during the week, from a Fulcrum entry level wheel, it was well knackered. Cost me a tenner. He did say 'don't mess with this unless you know what you're doing'. Lovely fresh sounding one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Legs wrecked from wed spin class but a dry calm day, flags hardly fluttering So decided to go for short spin. by the time i was turned for home the wind had picked up and a gale was blowing. Hardly got home. Only 26km avg but got out at least.

Luxman wrote: »
    Had a freehub replaced by LBS during the week, from a Fulcrum entry level wheel, it was well knackered. Cost me a tenner. He did say 'don't mess with this unless you know what you're doing'. Lovely fresh sounding one now.

Which shop was that? Sounds like a great price

ted1 wrote: »
    Which shop was that? Sounds like a great price
    Richies in swords but collected new chain rings too so he might have knocked a few quid. Ring beforehand to check he has the right one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First time up to Kippure this year. I wanted to see how much condition I've lost since last years attempt. Last year was on a beautiful summers day and I had been doing a bit of mileage, but it was on the Hybrid. Today was on the road bike but I've done fúk all the last few weeks.

Went up Stocking lane and as before, got a nasty shock when the first real ramp appears. Had a rest at the viewing point and a chat with a few sound chaps from Rathgar/Ranelagh. Continued on with them, having another brief stop at the layby above the lake and then again at the gate before the Kippure climb. The wind was fairly howling up there. They headed on to Lough Tay, I went up the mountain.
    It was fuking bitterly cold and the wind was driving me sideways and backwards. I had to stop a couple of times to get my breath, I have no shame in admitting I'm fairly crap going uphill :o

A thick cloud rolled in and meant I couldn't see 20 metres ahead for a few minutes. A few hikers near the top joked that it was lovely and sunny once I got through the fog. I wish .... I didn't realise I was at the top until I got near the concrete gate pillars.
    They could really do with a coffee shop up there. I didn't hang around, just turned and back down again. Was beginning to go numb in several places at that stage.

The descent was seriously hairy with the wind, I'm glad I dont have deep section wheels or I'd be writing this from a hospital bed. From once I got down to the featherbeds it felt about 5 degrees warmer and by the time I got back to the car it was nearly a summers day in comparison. I was clipping along at a nice pace all the way down, probably would have gone a nice bit faster too only for a car that kept slowing me down on corners.

My goal at the minute is to do a 120km spin in July with 3000m climbing including a 25km/1300m climb. Nothing massive compared to what some of the people on here do but for me it'll be like the Everest.
    After today I need to re-evaluate what training I have to do and that's a fking fact. HR was sh!t, cadence all over the place. At least I didn't cramp or bonk.

I'm happy enough all the same as I set a good few PRs on the way up, don't know if it's the 6kg difference in bikeweight or I am actually a bit fitter than last year. Anyway, onwards and upwards :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/260954781
    tag3ef.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

102 km this morning. 90 with the Galway cycle group and then the rest on my own. I felt absolutely fine in the group the whole way out and back but jesus Christ the last 10 km on my own was woeful. The wind was howling and I struggled badly. My legs still felt fine but it was such a grind, felt like up hill all the way home. But glad to get the first 100 under the belt,and in before the worst if the weather. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Almost killed myself climbing up kilmashogue lane this morning..came closer to killing myself on the way down though. Back slid out and aimed for the side of the road where there was a small bit of mud to slow me own but ended up going straight into a wall.

Not sure exactly what happened but i managed to come away with just a buckled wheel and badly beat up face.

Planned for a big spin but cut very short to only 11k

strava .com/activities/260830683

Side note - does anyone in the Rathfarnham area know how to true a wheel. I hope its not too bad.

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

Daroxtar wrote: »
    First time up to Kippure this year. I wanted to see how much condition I've lost since last years attempt. Last year was on a beautiful summers day and I had been doing a bit of mileage, but it was on the Hybrid. Today was on the road bike but I've done fúk all the last few weeks.

Went up Stocking lane and as before, got a nasty shock when the first real ramp appears. Had a rest at the viewing point and a chat with a few sound chaps from Rathgar/Ranelagh. Continued on with them, having another brief stop at the layby above the lake and then again at the gate before the Kippure climb. The wind was fairly howling up there. They headed on to Lough Tay, I went up the mountain.
    It was fuking bitterly cold and the wind was driving me sideways and backwards. I had to stop a couple of times to get my breath, I have no shame in admitting I'm fairly crap going uphill :o

A thick cloud rolled in and meant I couldn't see 20 metres ahead for a few minutes. A few hikers near the top joked that it was lovely and sunny once I got through the fog. I wish .... I didn't realise I was at the top until I got near the concrete gate pillars.
    They could really do with a coffee shop up there. I didn't hang around, just turned and back down again. Was beginning to go numb in several places at that stage.

The descent was seriously hairy with the wind, I'm glad I dont have deep section wheels or I'd be writing this from a hospital bed. From once I got down to the featherbeds it felt about 5 degrees warmer and by the time I got back to the car it was nearly a summers day in comparison. I was clipping along at a nice pace all the way down, probably would have gone a nice bit faster too only for a car that kept slowing me down on corners.

My goal at the minute is to do a 120km spin in July with 3000m climbing including a 25km/1300m climb. Nothing massive compared to what some of the people on here do but for me it'll be like the Everest.
    After today I need to re-evaluate what training I have to do and that's a fking fact. HR was sh!t, cadence all over the place. At least I didn't cramp or bonk.

I'm happy enough all the same as I set a good few PRs on the way up, don't know if it's the 6kg difference in bikeweight or I am actually a bit fitter than last year. Anyway, onwards and upwards :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/260954781
    tag3ef.jpg

I was going to head up Kippure today but the wind turned me back just before the featherbeds. Fair play.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Made it up Kilmashogue Lane for the first time this morning. I had to bail out (almost at the top, as it happens) when I attempted it on tired legs towards the end of last year but I attacked it fresh today and made it up without too much difficulty, albeit at a snail's pace. It's bloody steep. Tacked on Ticknock and a couple of different climbs up to Glencullen before returning to the city via Cruagh Road. Did about 55km with 1000m of climbing so pretty happy with that. I've only been out on the bike a couple of times since Christmas as I've been mainly concentrating on running and hiking so it was satisfying to find I hadn't lost too much bike fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Was out yesterday and done 40km. Decided at my road end to go with the wind on the way out but that didn't last long. Within 4km I facing a stiff headwind and it seemed to change direction with me as it appeared constantly head on. I was having to pedal down hills just to keep momentum, I was tempted to take a short cut home but ploughed on. Averaged 23.5kmph for the spin which wasn't too bad considering the windy conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

First century ride, 104Km
    at the Junior Tour Trust Sportive in Clare/Galway
    mild day , one mist shower on the ascent of Maghera just before the food stop
    felt ok til about 90Km, the last 14km seemed endless but i'm happy :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/261081313
    oh and the King himself SK was there and riding

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement