Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Crimson125

DrZeuss wrote: »

Also I havn't even looked at Kies since rooting, Darky's 9.2 is unbelievably fast, so I would recommend it.

Zeuss

heya Zeuss,

I've seen that mentioned while I was reading some of teh earlier pages in this post. What exactly is Darky's 9.2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Crimson125 wrote: »
    heya Zeuss,

I've seen that mentioned while I was reading some of teh earlier pages in this post. What exactly is Darky's 9.2 ?

Its a custom rom that overwrites your standard Froyo or Eclair rom, to be honest I wasn't expecting all that much from it, but it is like having a difference phone now. No lag when opening apps, the market, or waiting for the keyboard to pop up. It is quite amazing.

Here's all the info you would need.

Zeuss

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

Its a custom rom that overwrites your standard Froyo or Eclair rom, to be honest I wasn't expecting all that much from it, but it is like having a difference phone now. No lag when opening apps, the market, or waiting for the keyboard to pop up. It is quite amazing.

Here's all the info you would need.

Zeuss

ya i know the lag is terrible since i upgraded to 2.2 a while back, but i think i'll hang on for the 2.2.1 update.fingers crossed that it will sort out the lagging issue.Does anyone know the release date for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

p4paddy07 wrote: »
    ya i know the lag is terrible since i upgraded to 2.2 a while back, but i think I'll hang on for the 2.2.1 update.fingers crossed that it will sort out the lagging issue.Does anyone know the release date for Ireland.

I asked that very question a few days back and was told it's already out!

Thing is if your on three like I am we are still waiting for the update.
    My SGS wont go into recovery mode so cant install a new ROM... grr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

god's toy wrote: »

Neither could I get into the 3 button mode, but thanks to .....

this

I now can :D

well i'm on Meteor and also still waiting so what networks have got it then ???

well I'm on Meteor and also still waiting so what networks have got it then ???

Don't know TBH if any networks have it yet but it is there for non network phones... as in you flash it and kies 2 will pick up the updates from Samsung not your provider from then on.

Neither could I get into the 3 button mode, but thanks to .....

this

I now can :D

Ah thanks you! Thats just giving me new hope! :)

A little project for the weekend so! that is in-between playing TDU2 and that all important family time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

What`s with all the posts about using Kies, you don`t even need it.
    When I first got my SGS and I new nothing, Kies never did anything and when I did manage to get it to detect it, it did`nt do anything.

Once you get your ROM your set, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Samsung released 2.2.1 a while ago but it then has to go through the carriers before it is released, if it is released at all!

Just dont bother relying on samsung or networks and more and flash to Darkys.

Samsung released 2.2.1 a while ago but it then has to go through the carriers before it is released, if it is released at all!

Just dont bother relying on samsung or networks and more and flash to Darkys.

Hell yeah, exactly my previous point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Has anybody figured out how to do usb tethering with Kies v2? Doesn't seem to be available....

degsie wrote: »
    Has anybody figured out how to do usb tethering with Kies v2? Doesn't seem to be available....

AAARRRGGGHHH There`s that word again, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Anyone have any ideas to enable password protection on buying android apps either in the Market or in in App purchases.

Like in the iphone.

You or someone with your phone could max out your card.

I know there is a 24 hour refund but thats if you know about the purchases.

Its the only google account login that doesnt need a password is the one with your credit card attached.

Nice ?

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Sorry as I presume its ben covered already but i've got a Galaxy S on Vodafone I want to unlock. Its on Android 2.2. Are there instructions anywhere here on how to unlock this? I tried to root it but got an error. I unlocked one before using an app from the store but that was on 2.1.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

my text pad has somhow changed to swype how do i change it back to numeric thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Apologies if this has been covered a couple of times already but could anyone post a definitve step by step guide on how to flash to Darkys 9.2/9.3 from froyo.

I've looked in youtube/xda site but can't really find what i'm looking for. Probably not looking hard enough:o

Apologies if this has been covered a couple of times already but could anyone post a definitve step by step guide on how to flash to Darkys 9.2/9.3 from froyo.

I've looked in youtube/xda site but can't really find what i'm looking for. Probably not looking hard enough:o

Definitely not looking at all, but since I`m a nice guy here you go...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Can we split the forum into 2 sections?

1) beginners questions
    2) advanced questions

And also sticky things like Darkys mod and cyanogen (for HTC)

I'm all about the helping of n00bs but it's getting annoying having really simple questions mixed in with modding here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    Definitely not looking at all, but since I`m a nice guy here you go...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091

Took the words out of my mouth............!!!

• Advertisement

hi guys

just wondering if i unlock my phone using ADB will i then be able to update my galaxy s to 2.2.1. as ive heard the 2.2.1 update is all ready available for non nenetwork locked phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Since I upgraded to Darky's 9.3 b3 the stock browser used to crash on me (just shut down) whenever I did a pinch and zoom on a web page that had a video.
    But think I've found a fix.......
    I had the enable plug-ins set to always on. I changed this to 'on demand'.
    The plug-ins settings got changed to 'always on' after I did a full wipe installing 9.3.
    No issues since I changed the plug-ins settings. Pinch and zoom fine now.
    This might help someone who was having the same issue............

hi guys

just wondering if i unlock my phone using ADB will i then be able to update my galaxy s to 2.2.1. as ive heard the 2.2.1 update is all ready available for non nenetwork locked phone.

Is that a sim unlocker? If so then nope it will only unlock your sim to the provider its locked too.

You need to load new firmware onto your phone in order to get out of the Vodafone version.

Some posts within this thread detailing how this is done with links. I just updated to Samsung 2.2.1 (updated to 15th Feb) and at this point i think does not need any lag fix at all.

Is that a sim unlocker? If so then nope it will only unlock your sim to the provider its locked too.

You need to load new firmware onto your phone in order to get out of the Vodafone version.

Some posts within this thread detailing how this is done with links. I just updated to Samsung 2.2.1 (updated to 15th Feb) and at this point i think does not need any lag fix at all.

yes sim unlocker. are you talking about using Darkys firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Try here
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-rom-darkys-resurrection-edition-9-2.895/

This is a very clear step by step guide.I used this and it worked perfectly.

Here is a video . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rg8uzrl5JA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can we split the forum into 2 sections?

1) beginners questions
    2) advanced questions

And also sticky things like Darkys mod and cyanogen (for HTC)

I'm all about the helping of n00bs but it's getting annoying having really simple questions mixed in with modding here.

Not a good idea, but we could split this thread in 2, Darkys deserves its own thread IMO

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not a good idea, but we could split this thread in 2, Darkys deserves its own thread IMO

I don`t think it will make much difference, you`ll always get "noobs" and there silly stupid and annoying questions, where they can`t be arsed to search for, best to be patient....there day will come, lol

if i flash my Galaxy s with darkys firmware will kies still work with my phone and if so if samsung release new firmware ie 3.0 will i be able to get the update using kies.

also does does darkys firmware install anything but the firmware on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Ok so how about this to start the ball rolling

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70881714#post70881714

yes sim unlocker. are you talking about using Darkys firmware.

Hmm Nope I use Samsung ROM from here:

http://www.samfirmware.com/

(Kies 2 then updated it to the 15th feb 'I9000XWJS5' version)

if i flash my Galaxy s with darkys firmware will :mad: still work with my phone and if so if samsung release new firmware ie 3.0 will i be able to get the update using kies.

also does does darkys firmware install anything but the firmware on your phone.

I think Kies and Quadrant should be put into a blender, with acid left on for 24 minutes and fecked out a 34 story window onto a blazing fire of DOOOOOM!!!

• Advertisement

Hmm Nope I use Samsung ROM from here:

http://www.samfirmware.com/

(Kies 2 then updated it to the 15th feb 'I9000XWJS5' version)

I've downloaded the file (I9000XWJS5).do i need to download Galaxy S / .PIT File if so which one.does it matter which flash program version i download and use.

I've downloaded the file (I9000XWJS5).do i need to download Galaxy S / .PIT File if so which one.does it matter which flash program version i download and use.
    I used 803

OK here is the full list of what I did: Please Note this is a copy from another forum so I didn't post it, I just followed it:

http://androidforums.com/2332383-post2550.html

Follow below process.

1. I assume that your phone is virgin(using official rom) and not ****ed up (i.e rooted , applied lagfix bla bla)

If so then read below, else unroot and remove lagfix and follow below process.

1. Download latest European firmware 2.2.1 from this site
    Login - News - www.SamFirmware.com
    as of now its I9000XWJS5 ##

2. Download ODIN 1.3 and Galaxy S / .PIT File: DOWNLOAD. (803) from above link. (you need to scroll at bottom)

3. Now unzip that 2.2.1 ROM. You will see 3 files , PDA MODEM and CSC.

4. Remove battery, SIM card , external memory card from phone.

5. Press Vol Down + Power + Home Key (all at same time). Now release all keys once you see a yellow screen. Its called download mode.

6. Now connect data cable to phone and USB.

7. Start ODIN 1.3 , and check if you see yellow below "ID:COM" section. It means that your phone is detected by ODIN.

8. Now make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT Ticked, "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" is ticked.

9. from step 3 , you have got 3 files. Click PIT and select "803.PIT" file you downlaoded.
    Click CSC and select file having "CSC" in filename from above step 3 ZIP file
    Click PHONE and select file having "MODEM" in filename from above step 3 ZIP file
    Click PDA and select the remaining file which we have not yet used from zip file.

10. Now click START and dont touch the phone(it will auto-reboot) unless you see Samsung home lock screen.

I used 803

OK here is the full list of what I did: Please Note this is a copy from another forum so I didn't post it, I just followed it:

Follow below process.

1. I assume that your phone is virgin(using official rom) and not ****ed up (i.e rooted , applied lagfix bla bla)

2. Download ODIN 1.3 and Galaxy S / .PIT File: DOWNLOAD. (803) from above link. (you need to scroll at bottom)

5. Press Vol Down + Power + Home Key (all at same time). Now release all keys once you see a yellow screen. Its called download mode.

7. Start ODIN 1.3 , and check if you see yellow below "ID:COM" section. It means that your phone is detected by ODIN.

8. Now make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT Ticked, "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" is ticked.

9. from step 3 , you have got 3 files. Click PIT and select "803.PIT" file you downlaoded.
    Click PHONE and select file having "MODEM" in filename from above step 3 ZIP file
    Click PDA and select the remaining file which we have not yet used from zip file.

10. Now click START and dont touch the phone(it will auto-reboot) unless you see Samsung home lock screen.

Cheers that step by step guide helped a lot.does this mean that my phone hasn't got network firmware on it anymore, if so does this mean i'll be able to get updates from kies sooner because my understanding was that the reason i couldn't get 2.2.1 on kies was because it hasnt been released by my network.once again thanks for your help.

Cheers that step by step guide helped a lot.does this mean that my phone hasn't got network firmware on it anymore, if so does this mean i'll be able to get updates from kies sooner because my understanding was that the reason i couldn't get 2.2.1 on kies was because it hasnt been released by my network.once again thanks for your help.

Your very welcome, I'm just happy to help.

Yep if you flashed your phone using the firmwares from that linked site you now are free of the vodefone version. You will be able to update to new samsung furmware using Kies 2 if you wish when it comes out and not have to wait for vodedone to release it's version.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I don`t think it will make much difference, you`ll always get "noobs" and there silly stupid and annoying questions, where they can`t be arsed to search for, best to be patient....there day will come, lol

so you knew everything from the very start?and you never had to ask anything?give me a break.this is what forums are about imo..people like you piss me off no end, everyone has to start somewhere.if you dont want want to answer questions then dont.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    so you knew everything from the very start?and you never had to ask anything?give me a break.this is what forums are about imo..people like you piss me off no end, everyone has to start somewhere.if you dont want want to answer questions then dont.

First off dude take a chill pill, I never said I knew everything, but what I do know is from searching and lots of reading.
    I asked a lot which helped me learn, but its still far from a lot.
    The **** people are posting up is right there, but there just to lazy to look for it, so they end up posting there questions up, multiply that by X and you`ve a lot of pointless questions that have answers right there.
    It helps if they search for key words, not just here, XDA being the BEST and of course Google.
    So pull your head out of your arse so your not talking bull****!

I always try to help others if I can, so unless your going to contribute something positive here.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

First off dude take a chill pill, I never said I knew everything, but what I do know is from searching and lots of reading.
    I asked a lot which helped me learn, but its still far from a lot.
    The **** people are posting up is right there, but there just to lazy to look for it, so they end up posting there questions up, multiply that by X and you`ve a lot of pointless questions that have answers right there.
    It helps if they search for key words, not just here, XDA being the BEST and of course Google.
    So pull your head out of your arse so your not talking bull****!

I always try to help others if I can, so unless your going to contribute something positive here.......

you just contradicted yourself there.just stop picking on noobs thats all im saying we were all there once.everyones entitled to ask a dumb or as you put it a silly question.god knows ive asked a few.chill pill taken.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    you just contradicted yourself there.just stop picking on noobs thats all im saying we were all there once.everyones entitled to ask a dumb or as you put it a silly question.god knows ive asked a few.chill pill taken.

Had to respond to you some how,lol, lovely jubily :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

I'm currently on "Darky's v8.1 Gingerbread Edition" after following this guide: http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installation-guide-for-first-time-users.315/

I was planning on updating to the latest version, but wanted to make a backup with Titanium Backup (which I've done once before right after flashing the custom ROM). However, when I try use TB (and I've also tried the root version of MyBackup) I get errors saying that the apps can't get root access even though they're set to allowed in the app Superuser (actually, only TB is set to allowed - I didn't receive a prompt for MyBackup which would explain why it isn't in there).

I clicked the "Problems ?" button and clicked "Get BusyBox" but got an install error.

Does anyone know why I seem to have lost root, and how to get resolve this issue?

James G wrote: »
    I'm currently on "Darky's v8.1 Gingerbread Edition" after following this guide: http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installation-guide-for-first-time-users.315/

I was planning on updating to the latest version, but wanted to make a backup with Titanium Backup (which I've done once before right after flashing the custom ROM). However, when I try use TB (and I've also tried the root version of MyBackup) I get errors saying that the apps can't get root access even though they're set to allowed in the app Superuser (actually, only TB is set to allowed - I didn't receive a prompt for MyBackup which would explain why it isn't in there).

I clicked the "Problems ?" button and clicked "Get BusyBox" but got an install error.

Does anyone know why I seem to have lost root, and how to get resolve this issue?

I`m not to familiar with TB, I`ve used it once and found it a pain in the hole having to restore every app one at a time, Then I tried a nandroid backup and it was so much easier.
    I`ve read a few other people having trouble with TB.
    Have you tried getting BusyBox from the market?

• Advertisement

I`m not to familiar with TB, I`ve used it once and found it a pain in the hole having to restore every app one at a time, Then I tried a nandroid backup and it was so much easier.
    I`ve read a few other people having trouble with TB.
    Have you tried getting BusyBox from the market?
    I've downloaded the BusyBox app from the market but got an error when I clicked the install button. The error message said it was a result of either my phone not being nand unlocked or the app not being able to remount something.

The strange thing is that it said BusyBox was not found, even though I used TB before and it went fine. Something must have corrupted/removed BusyBox.

Hmmmm, how about uninstalling Busybox and try reinstalling it?
    Same with TB

Hmmmm, how about uninstalling Busybox and try reinstalling it?
    Same with TB
    No luck. I think I'll update and see if that somehow fixes it. I've gotten most things backed up with the non-root version of MyBackup.

I used 803

Follow below process.

hey guys trying to do this to y phone but the firmware downloaded as a rar file and it says windows cant open it what do i need to do ?

Craigels wrote: »
    hey guys trying to do this to y phone but the firmware downloaded as a rar file and it says windows cant open it what do i need to do ?
    You can use something like WinRAR to open it. Do a search on google for the download link.

James G wrote: »
    You can use something like WinRAR to open it. Do a search on google for the download link.

i used that thanks but now i need a password for the encrypted files where can i find that ? it dosent say on the firmware page...

Craigels wrote: »
    i used that thanks but now i need a password for the encrypted files where can i find that ? it dosent say on the firmware page...
    It there at the bottom of each box, in this case it's :
    samfirmware.com

thanks for that i only realised now my phone is network locked can i still flash it that way ?

I did. Locked to three and now it no longer has the three 'apps' (that were just links anyway so bookmarks work just as well) network lock means your sim is locked to them. You will need APN/MMS settings after you do this too. get them before you start.

If anyone is thinking of doing this to any firmware please make sure your phone can go into recovery mode and download mode first before you start, also read and fully understand the steps involved. Also remember if you have apps that unique to the networks firmware that you still use, they will be gone after you do the flash.

Also you do this at your own risk should you bick your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭stargirl28

Hi guys sorry t jump in on this thread, possibly not the correct one but I have a question re mobile phones. My mum has the htc desire on contract but doesn't want to use it anymore as she's not a fan of anything 'hi-tech' (I know why did she go for that phone in the first place!!) anyway she is on meteor bill pay and I am on meteor pay as u go. My question is, if I put my payasyou go sim in the htc will it work? I don't want to try it until Im sure for fear of blocking the phone? Thanks!

Advertisement