Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

bruschi wrote: »
    That, without doubt, was a robbery, but one that Green Bay contributed to, which is even harder to take.

Yeah I wouldn't say ye were robbed, I'd say ye gifted the Seahawks the game. I felt ye were being underrated coming into it, and the Seahawks were being oversold by people who seemed to think they're unbeatable. They're not, and you should have been out the gate against them. Dumb mistakes in every phase and some bafflingly cowardly playcalling. When ye played hurry up at the end it was shocking how easily Rodgers could carve up this supposedly invincible, 85 Bears-esque D. I would still say that people calling for the coach to be fired are absolutely insane. I would suggest they consider just how much he has achieved, often with a roster that on paper didn't look half so good as it did this year, and then look at what replacements are available. You don't just get a better coach because you feel like you deserve one.

EDIT: Jumped the gun a little there, some criticism on the thread of the coaching but nobody suggesting he be fired. Guess that's just every other team thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Yeah I wouldn't say ye were robbed, I'd say ye gifted the Seahawks the game. I felt ye were being underrated coming into it, and the Seahawks were being oversold by people who seemed to think they're unbeatable. They're not, and you should have been out the gate against them. Dumb mistakes in every phase and some bafflingly cowardly playcalling. When ye played hurry up at the end it was shocking how easily Rodgers could carve up this supposedly invincible, 85 Bears-esque D. I would still say that people calling for the coach to be fired are absolutely insane. I would suggest they consider just how much he has achieved, often with a roster that on paper didn't look half so good as it did this year, and then look at what replacements are available. You don't just get a better coach because you feel like you deserve one.

EDIT: Jumped the gun a little there, some criticism on the thread of the coaching but nobody suggesting he be fired. Guess that's just every other team thread...

ease up on the 'you' and 'ye' there too! Tedy Bruschi wouldnt be happy if you thought he was a Packer!

But that was Green Bays game. And thats what I meant when they were robbed, but contributed to it. Its not as if it was the refs or anything, the game was snatched from right underneath them, but just one of the situations above going for them would have won it. Totally contributed to their own downfall, which is the hardest defeat to take IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Patww79 wrote: »

The flaws were so obvious though. Is it a one off? At the end of the day when you have an elite QB that can carry your team it often helps mask some huge coaching flaws. However in the play-offs this happens less often. Considering the Packers have one of the GOAT QB's then having only 1 Superbowl and one appearance is a pretty shocking return from a supposed great head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Yeah a bitter pill to swallow alright and it was like watching a car crash from the Wilson TD onwards. McCarthy to be fair is a very good coach but the situation got to him a bit yesterday. Contrast that with Billy Boy last night in the colts game and you just knew he was going to be aggressive on 4th down. Also I just knew the Hawks would get a TD off that OT drive. Just had a serious deja vu from the Broncos game earlier in the year when they did the exact same thing. Fair play to Wilson he was awesome in the last few minutes but a serious missed opportunity for sure.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

he hasnt learned to fire dom ****ing capers yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moby91

Does anybody here think heads will actually roll after this? McCarthy seems too loyal to his staff for that tbh. Pretty sickening loss, worst I can recall as a Packers fan though that hasn't been too long.

I don't think the Packers will do big clear outs, and I'm not sure they should. I mean, it was an extraordinary series of errors, some coaching, some individual. But one or two less and we'd be thinking about the Super Bowl now. Personally I wouldn't regret seeing Capers go, but not because of last night but because of problems over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moby91

Does anybody here think heads will actually roll after this? McCarthy seems too loyal to his staff for that tbh. Pretty sickening loss, worst I can recall as a Packers fan though that hasn't been too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

God that sucked serious c**k. I couldn't watch the second game cause I was so pissed off and just went to bed. I think slocum has to go and get in a new special team coach, ideally a new younger DC would be great but I can't see that happening cause for 55min the defence was unreal, 5 sacks and 4 ints. Hopefully McCarthy will learn from this, his usually a more aggressive play caller but was vanilla last night. It was obvious that Rodgers didn't train much the last couple of weeks as he was definitely out of sync with the receivers, especially the one to jordy in the corner, but its a good learning kerb for next year and I think its superbowl or bust next year considering how young our roster is and we have a real stud in Clinton-dix, his going to right up there with woodson in the next couple of years. Get raji back and a mlb that can stop the f**king run and we will be there or there about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

*Sigh* You've got to take the rough with the smooth in sports. Greenbay had it in their hands and blew it on multiple occasions and the Seahawks came back and punished us for it.

I am less annoyed than I was last night but still....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Condolences today Packer fans. You guys almost played a flawless game and then turned in the most flawed performance in the last 5 minutes I think I have ever seen. Was really hoping got see a Packers v Patriots, Brady v Rodgers showdown in the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

It really was one of the best performances I've seen from the defence. Until the 4th quarter anyway. That first half was pretty special. The Seahawks probably weren't on top form, but it was one of the first times I've had complete faith in the defence getting off the field. It was a shame that it reverted to the complete faith in them not being able to get off the field late in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

How the special teams were sent out to allow that fake to happen I'll never know. Let Seattle back into the game and it was screaming fake from the way the game had gone to that point.

The 2 man rush and the failure to enforce the unsportsmanlike penalty also came on that drive if I remember.

poldebruin wrote: »
    How the special teams were sent out to allow that fake to happen I'll never know. Let Seattle back into the game and it was screaming fake from the way the game had gone to that point.

The 2 man rush and the failure to enforce the unsportsmanlike penalty also came on that drive if I remember.

no matter what you look at I'm more amazed bostick thought his hands would be safer than Nelsons!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

I still haven't come to terms with what happened last weekend. For me it was an embarrassing capitulation. I'm also worried Rodgers might be turning into a Manning style QB. I don't like saying it, he wins impressively in the regular season, but is not the same player in the post season. He needs to improve on 7-5 imo. McCarthy also has questions to answer, at key moments in the game he was out coached and it cost us dearly. I was really looking forward to us playing the Pats & Brady. But the PEDhawks denied us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I still haven't come to terms with what happened last weekend. For me it was an embarrassing capitulation. I'm also worried Rodgers might be turning into a Manning style QB. I don't like saying it, he wins impressively in the regular season, but is not the same player in the post season. He needs to improve on 7-5 imo. McCarthy also has questions to answer, at key moments in the game he was out coached and it cost us dearly. I was really looking forward to us playing the Pats & Brady. But the PEDhawks denied us.

Given that his defence has cost him again and again in the playoffs, wouldn't be too quick on bracketing him with Manning. Last season Micah Hyde should have ended the game against the 49ers (and Dom Capers should have maybe copped that Kaepernick has a pair of legs). The year before our D gave up a million yards on the ground and 45 points on the road to the 49ers. The year before that the Giants put 37 points on us.

This week a multitude of **** went the way for the Seahawks to win - and even when we looked to have pissed it away AR goes on a massive drive to send the game to overtime. The playcalling with 4 mins to go was pathetic, but as a QB you can't rogue and decide to change it.. if you lose then you have a situation where you and you're coach are basically at odds forever after. Someone has already mentioned it but it's unforgiveable for McCarthy not to let AR throw the ball and make a first down in these situations to leave the ball in our hands. How many times have we seen it happen? We're sitting behind the couch with the other team on the march downfield because we didn't end it on our terms. I'm getting pissed off thinking about it even now.

I'd love to have seen us still get rid of Capers - despite it not being the worst few games defensively for us in post-season - but I'm resigned to not seeing that until McCarthy goes. I just have no faith in us blowing winning siutations or stopping drives from 4-5 points ahead. Would have been brilliant to go and get Vic Fangio ahead of the Bears but we're too conservative and organisation to do things like that, unfortunately. Instead we have to build our D in a major way through the draft. Our offensive line is so solid, our WR's are excellent, Rodgers and Quarless are good at TE and I think Rodgers will come on a lot and Lacy is a brilliant foil at RB for AR. An ILB, some big DB's who can put in a ****ing tackle and DT are the main three with the latter being the main need.

Genuinely so sickened since the game, couldn't post up any thoughts on it. Going to rewatch it again in a week or so when I get the chance.. Dunno if the laptop will survive the kicking though.

Given that his defence has cost him again and again in the playoffs, wouldn't be too quick on bracketing him with Manning.

I was just expressing a worry that he might eventually end up with a Manning style post season record. I know he hasn't right now, but I think we need a greater return on our post season trips. I'm still too emotionally exhausted and pissed off, to even contemplate the rest of the good points you raised in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The more I reflect on it, the less I'm inclined to blame Capers. You can call on your defence to stop the O only so many times, and they did, brilliantly. But McCarthy kept putting them in. Eventually, the worst O will score on the best D. You can't keep giving the likes of Lynch and Wilson chances to score.

I'm afraid the responsibility for this loss lies with McCarthy, with a side helping of Slocum. Had the O kept picking up first downs then the fake FG wouldn't have mattered, the onside kick might never have happened. You can't just run Lacy or Starks at them. They were expecting that 100%. Keep them off balance with your short, high percentage passing game.

I'm very pessimistic about next season. It's a matter of morale. It's completely blown.

The rookies, Rodgers and Adams should be bigger factors, and the line should be set. The run game should be able to pull its weight. I'm just worried about the morale of the organisation.

McCarthy has a lot of soul-searching to do between now and September.

• Advertisement

i guarantee you if Rodgers was 100% fit, we would have beaten the seahawks handy, the game would of been over at half time. considering the injury he had and to do what he in did in the loins, dallas and seahawks was remarkable. Because teams would of been weary of his legs prior to the injury and once he couldn't move, teams didn't have to imply a spy or similar tactics and let the safeties stay in coverage.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The more I reflect on it, the less I'm inclined to blame Capers. You can call on your defence to stop the O only so many times, and they did, brilliantly. But McCarthy kept putting them in. Eventually, the worst O will score on the best D. You can't keep giving the likes of Lynch and Wilson chances to score.

I'm afraid the responsibility for this loss lies with McCarthy, with a side helping of Slocum. Had the O kept picking up first downs then the fake FG wouldn't have mattered, the onside kick might never have happened. You can't just run Lacy or Starks at them. They were expecting that 100%. Keep them off balance with your short, high percentage passing game.

I'm very pessimistic about next season. It's a matter of morale. It's completely blown.

The rookies, Rodgers and Adams should be bigger factors, and the line should be set. The run game should be able to pull its weight. I'm just worried about the morale of the organisation.

McCarthy has a lot of soul-searching to do between now and September.

I disagree, I think they will have a huge chip on there shoulder and use it as motivation for next year. Resign bulaga and cobb and pick up NT and ILB in the draft or work out something with raji and I think we will have a serious shot at the superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Aside from the blunder of errors another thing that worried me from the start was AR.
    He looked unfit and wasn't in top form.

It was clear he spent the previous week on the couch.

Pherekydes wrote: »

Is that you Spiralism....:pac:

Seriously though. We'll recharge during the offseason and hopefully McCarthy will have a long & hard look at the team and some of his own decisions.

charles woodson signed a new contract with raiders, kinda sad signing a 38 year old.....well no...
    The veteran safety is coming off a season in which he recorded a career-high 113 tackles and four picks

charles woodson signed a new contract with raiders, kinda sad signing a 38 year old.....well no...
    The veteran safety is coming off a season in which he recorded a career-high 113 tackles and four picks

Watched him in a couple of games - notably the Chiefs game - and he was as good as ever. It says something about his professionalism given the lack of ability around him that he has maintained his level of effort.

In unsurprising news, Shawn Slocum is gone as special teams coach.

DoM capers next please!

• Advertisement

DoM capers next please!

I'm crossing my fingers & testicles.

Advertisement