Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Will be a cracker for sure. Big opportunity for both sides to go up as with Lismore coming down next year its going to be an even harder competition to win. I beleive Modeligo could lose Devine aswwll as his younger brothers coming up through the ranks in Dungarvan he'll eventually make that switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I see the rearranged Ballygunner v Fourmilewater game is fixed for 5.30 Sunday 11th October, same time as Ireland play France in the rugby. Now I dont think the GAA should make all their fixtures around other sports but surely some common sense should have been used. Likely to be a very small attendance I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I see the rearranged Ballygunner v Fourmilewater game is fixed for 5.30 Sunday 11th October, same time as Ireland play France in the rugby. Now I dont think the GAA should make all their fixtures around other sports but surely some common sense should have been used. Likely to be a very small attendance I'd say.

There's obviously some reasoning for this but yes you're right,the rugby will definitely take from the attendance. Would there be Football fixtures on the same day maybe?

Tallow though to the county final after a good win over Ballyduff by a point. Tommy Ryan in superb form today.

Some going for Tallow to make it to the county final and who's to say they wont go all the way now - theyre a good side with a good mix of experienced campaigners and some very exciting young hurlers like Grey and Henley

archieknox wrote: »
    There's obviously some reasoning for this but yes you're right,the rugby will definitely take from the attendance. Would there be Football fixtures on the same day maybe?

I dont know if there's football on or not but it appears like the hurling has been added as an extra game to a double header on the Sunday.

Regardless of clashes with other sports, 5.30 on a Sunday is a bad time for a game, in my view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I dont know if there's football on or not but it appears like the hurling has been added as an extra game to a double header on the Sunday.

Regardless of clashes with other sports, 5.30 on a Sunday is a bad time for a game, in my view
    Why can't they play the Ballygunner game next Saturday evening ??. Dumb leading the dumb wit our county board.

Congrats tallow on getting to the final. Will be some atmosphere around the village up there

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

To be fair, the timing of the match may have something to do with Ballygunner playing Cois Brid in the minor county final on Saturday afternoon at 2pm.

Ballygunner have a couple of lads on both the Senior and Minor panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Why can't they play the Ballygunner game next Saturday evening ??. Dumb leading the dumb wit our county board.

Congrats tallow on getting to the final. Will be some atmosphere around the village up there

Very little talk of Tallows victory, very impressive from the position they found themselves in in the first half. They are struggling for forwards outside of Tommy Ryan when he was shut down in the first half they offered very little else.
    Ballyduffs loss of their full back had a big impact.
    Tallows backs are hugely impressive and if they can get the forwards to click or offer freedom to Tommy Ryan they could claim glory yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Very little talk of Tallows victory, very impressive from the position they found themselves in in the first half. They are struggling for forwards outside of Tommy Ryan when he was shut down in the first half they offered very little else.
    Ballyduffs loss of their full back had a big impact.
    Tallows backs are hugely impressive and if they can get the forwards to click or offer freedom to Tommy Ryan they could claim glory yet!

Tallow definitely need to get more from their forwards if they are to have a chance. They were lucky to go in at half time only 3 points down and can thank in the main the two O'Briens in the full back line, James Murray and Kieran Geary for this. Their forward line was completely off the pace in this period.

With Tom Molomphy not coming out for the second half, Tommy Ryan was allowed a lot more freedom and boy did he take advantage of it, scoring a great goal and five points. Molomphy came back on with about ten to go and it was no coincidence that Ballyduff came back into after that with Tallow struggling again for scores. Tallow had a few hairy moments towards the end but overall though they deserved to hold on.

For the county final though, if their forwards start like they did yesterday, the game will definitely be beyond them at an early stage. They really need to up their work rate and gain much more possession from their own pucks out to be in with a chance. This is well within their capability though.

Huge congrats to Tallow. Thoroughly deserving of their place in the county final as they've been one of the best teams in the competition this year without doubt. Surprised many people including me, but looking at their team on paper particularly numbers 2 to 9 it shouldn't be that much of a surprise as there is some top quality hurlers in that side (despite our cute colleague Micko playing the poor mouth about a small club etc etc) there are a lot of players who have represented the county at one level or another.

I'm delighted to see them get another shot at a county final after the 2011 final turned into a bit of a disaster for them. Can't see the same thing happening this year they'll be a tough nut for either Ballygunner or FMW to crack.

• Advertisement

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Huge congrats to Tallow. Thoroughly deserving of their place in the county final as they've been one of the best teams in the competition this year without doubt. Surprised many people including me, but looking at their team on paper particularly numbers 2 to 9 it shouldn't be that much of a surprise as there is some top quality hurlers in that side (despite our cute colleague Micko playing the poor mouth about a small club etc etc) there are a lot of players who have represented the county at one level or another.

I'm delighted to see them get another shot at a county final after the 2011 final turned into a bit of a disaster for them. Can't see the same thing happening this year they'll be a tough nut for either Ballygunner or FMW to crack.

They're improving as the year goes on and against us they never threw in the towel,kept battling to the end and got their just rewards as a result. As you say from 2-9 they're as strong as any side in the county but there has been glimpses of help for Tommy Ryan from the likes of Jordan Henley and Ryan Grey. Evan Sheehan is another fella with alot of ability so they've definitely a real opportunity of going the whole way now. Micko will definitely thank me for saying that! The way the year in panning out who is to say FMW won't beat Ballygunner next Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Didn't think Jordan Henley was great, William Henley was good. Grey was good, Tommy Ryan outstanding. They were poor enough first half.

Saw the Ballygunner side in the programme, and you'd have to say that they're either a top quality side or the manager is a loon when you see three lads that have all played County Minor in the past 3 years all on the bench even in the absence of Mahony.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

robopaddy2 wrote: »

No poor mouth. We are a small club. We had 27 named on the squad but most of them are juniors who are really only training squad members. We are indeed strong from 2-9. I've been saying it for years. Have more forwards this year to help Tommy Ryan out.
    Think we are better prepared than 2011 and won't fear either FMW or BG but we will still be underdogs as we lost to both teams in the group stages.
    Great to be in the final again. Great reward for players like James Murray, the 3 O'Briens, 3 Kearneys and William Henley who have given great service over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Does anyone know what came out of the Football Forum last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Three games on in Fraher on Sunday. Junior b west, west intermediate, senior semi

Any word on Fournilewaters fitness concerns for this weekend? Barron has had another week to get himself right. How is Lawlor will he be available this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Any word on Fournilewaters fitness concerns for this weekend? Barron has had another week to get himself right. How is Lawlor will he be available this weekend?
    Lawlor out, injured in a challenge match on Sunday

carter10 wrote: »
    Lawlor out, injured in a challenge match on Sunday

Been without Lawlor for last few games so might be able to cope with that. Losing Barron would be huge blow however. Conor Gleeson not listed in match programme? An embarrassing oversight on Fourmilewaters part or is there a reason behind this?

Been without Lawlor for last few games so might be able to cope with that. Losing Barron would be huge blow however. Conor Gleeson not listed in match programme? An embarrassing oversight on Fourmilewaters part or is there a reason behind this?

You hardly think this is a moment of forgetfulness now??? Genuinely, or was that tongue in cheek?

You hardly think this is a moment of forgetfulness now??? Genuinely, or was that tongue in cheek?

He's not even named on the subs so wasn't tongue in cheek by any means. Pauric Mahony has no chance of playing for Ballygunner and is named.
    Have you an explanation as to why he would not be named on the panel?

• Advertisement

Fancy Ballygunner on Sunday. Think with the couple of big names FMW are allegedly missing it could be a bridge too far, and even if Barron makes it how fit will he be? plus Ballygunner will want a win for the club after a tough couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

No poor mouth. We are a small club. We had 27 named on the squad but most of them are juniors who are really only training squad members. We are indeed strong from 2-9. I've been saying it for years. Have more forwards this year to help Tommy Ryan out.
    Think we are better prepared than 2011 and won't fear either FMW or BG but we will still be underdogs as we lost to both teams in the group stages.
    Great to be in the final again. Great reward for players like James Murray, the 3 O'Briens, 3 Kearneys and William Henley who have given great service over the years.

Congratulations Micko. Great result.
    And you're dead right there. Just blank out 2011 and carry on like it never happened. Whoever you meet in the final in 2015 it's a blank page for ye, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Congratulations Micko. Great result.
    And you're dead right there. Just blank out 2011 and carry on like it never happened. Whoever you meet in the final in 2015 it's a blank page for ye, isn't it?

I am guessing you have no connection with a club whatsoever? If you are your jibes at Tallow would suggest it ain't a very successful one!

Check out the scoreline for the 2014 and 2011 finals, not much in it.. tallow in good company when it comes to teams bettered by ballygunnar...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

JesusRef wrote: »

Check out the scoreline for the 2014 and 2011 finals, not much in it.. tallow in good company when it comes to teams bettered by ballygunnar...

Good God

Nice to see Ballysaggart getting 75k they could do with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brian O'Halloran injured for the Intermediate final?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Brian O'Halloran injured for the Intermediate final?

Gone for 6 months or something I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Injured? or Travelling

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Injured? or Travelling

Hamstring again I think

• Advertisement

Oh good god? That poor fella has had no luck throughout his whole career with injuries. Must be a bad tear if he's out for 6 months?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement