Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

efb wrote: »
    Nothing to stop them cutting his hours anyway. Dunnes is cutthroat

No, but they'd be more likely to as a means of control if the person did strike.

Life insurance in college? Students would quality on their parents health insurance - I didn't have it til now

Not everyone's parents are still alive, not everyone's parents have health insurance. Why are you so focussed on what someone else does/doesn't have to pay?

Just because YOU didn't have those things, doesn't mean EVERYONE else doesn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No, but they'd be more likely to as a means of control if the person did strike.

On what basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

They're complaining about getting treated badly. What do they expect, it's a low skilled, low paid job. Maybe they should've went to college and got a worthwhile qualification and they wouldn't be in this predicament.
    Well then that greatly limits their options as regards employment. And I suspect a lot of people aren't suited to college because they're lazy and don't want to work hard. In America college fees can be as high as $30k per year so no excuse for people not getting 3rd level education here.
    There are courses for all levels of intellect. Believe me there are some people I know with degrees and even Masters and if they can achieve this level of education anybody can. Those who don't bother making the effort however, end up working in the likes of Dunnes and then expect the same privileges as people who worked tirelessly to get a proper job.
    That's exactly what it means.
    People have various reasons for not going to 3rd level which has nothing to do with effort. Likewise people have various reasons for working in retail that has nothing to do with education. Classing someone who hasn't attained a third level qualification as lazy or adverse to hard work is both offensive and somewhat trollish.
    Posters, do not continue this line of discussion.

On what basis?

On the basis that they don't want people to strike obviously as they lose business, so therefore they cut the hours of those who DO strike as a punishment.

I really don't see what is so difficult about this to understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

tommullane wrote: »
    I know customers can cross I just really hope they don't. If you read my post carefully you would understand my reasoning. Losing a 100 euro+ a week is as bad as getting fired in my opinion

Short term pain for long term gain.

I don't want to sound arrogant but unfortunately it is those that refuse to support the strike who will end up eroding terms and conditions for current and future employees. It seems like the threat from management to reduce hours for strikers has had the desired effect. By walking past the picket line you make everyone that is sticking up for the rights of current and future employees more vulnerable. They can't reduce everyone's hours, but they can reduce a certain percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Couldn't afford a car in college - not many could

You seemed confused by the idea of insurance in college, just trying to clarify it for you.

Not everyone's parents are still alive, not everyone's parents have health insurance. Why are you so focussed on what someone else does/doesn't have to pay?

Just because YOU didn't have those things, doesn't mean EVERYONE else doesn't!

I am aware of that. But looking at him putting his need for car insurance for college ahead of needs of others for more basic things

IngazZagni wrote: »

I don't want to sound arrogant but unfortunately it is those that refuse to support the strike who will end up eroding terms and conditions for current and future employees. It seems like the threat from management to reduce hours for strikers has had the desired effect. By walking past the picket line you make everyone that is sticking up for the rights of current and future employees more vulnerable. They can't reduce everyone's hours, but they can reduce a certain percentage.

I agree here 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ankaragucu wrote: »
    The thing is this is not an issue unique to Dunnes.Low hours contracts are on the rise and its not to provide employees with "flexibility", thats hogwash.Its so that employers wont have to pay the benefits, for want of a better expression, that permanent staff enjoy.You know, luxuries like holiday pay.Let no one fool you on that.
    The UK has almost 800,000 people on zero hours contracts (BBC news last night) and growing as it is here in Ireland.There should be no zero contracts full stop.If a company has X amount of hours to be covered they should be done so by mostly full time staff not spread thinly among many more people.Anyone who says they WANT to be on a zero hours contract needs their head examined.Try getting the dole never mind a mortgage on a zero hours contract.
    The economy will pick up quicker and maintain its strength into the future the more people are working full time, thats a no brainer.Which brings me to the unions.They are campaigning for banded hours, 20-25, 25-30 and so on to guatantee staff a certain amount of hours work.But even this is a con.They SHOULD be campaigning for a system to maximise full time work.The reason they're not?Well in case you havent figured it out yet, THEIR bottom line is membership.The unions are happy to push this banded contracts thing over full time work because it'll ensure more members.Wether you are full time or banded hours they'll still get their pound of flesh.

Why would someone expect to get a mortgage while working in Dunnes? And why should a bank give them one?

I think employers have an obligation to pay workers as per agreed terms, and to abide by labour laws. They have no obligation to provide a stable foundation for workers to build the lifestyle that they want, or to offer a career to anyone.

Some jobs are not reliable and are not appropriate for staying long-term.

• Advertisement

I am aware of that. But looking at him putting his need for car insurance for college ahead of needs of others for more basic things

If he NEEDS his car for college, then it isn't really comparable.

It is a pity. All workers should stand in solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Everyone has the own priorities in life .
    Nobody is forcing anyone to work in dunnes either

On the basis that they don't want people to strike obviously as they lose business, so therefore they cut the hours of those who DO strike as a punishment.

I really don't see what is so difficult about this to understand?

There is no guarantee the posters hours won't be cut either

Gatling wrote: »
    Everyone has the own priorities in life .
    Nobody is forcing anyone to work in dunnes either

Some have little choice. Sounds v like liveline answer. Here you are berated for being unemployed and berated for taking a low paid job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

kingtut wrote: »
    Perhaps someone has already said this but surely because of the strike there will be no customers, therefore the company makes no money today and as a result may have to let some workers go.

Also because people don't want to cross the picket they are going to other stores and should they find them cheaper/better they might not return to Dunnes Stores in the future ...

Maybe I'm stupid but I just don't get what positive can come out of today?

Because of one days losses???

People are stupid. They will be back in there next week.

There is no guarantee the posters hours won't be cut either

No, nobody said that.

Are you aware of the definition of probability?

If I forget to set my alarm to get up, I'll probably wake up anyway as I'm used to waking up at a certain time every day. But without the alarm, the likelihood of me sleeping in is increased!

No, nobody said that.

Are you aware of the definition of probability?

If I forget to set my alarm to get up, I'll probably wake up anyway as I'm used to waking up at a certain time every day. But without the alarm, the likelihood of me sleeping in is increased!

But you are making assumptions that are not clear.

People here refer to 15 hours minimum Dunnes can cut him down to 15 hours if they get cheaper staff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

IngazZagni wrote: »

The guy is working in Dunnes to put himself through college. I presume he may be there another year or two. Its already been proven that Dunnes are threatening staff. His 25hrs could become 15 for the next two years because he went on strike. Hes in a tough position.

Remember Dunnes are using their same old tricks but no longer pay staff 10k to leave

Tugboats wrote: »
    The guy is working in Dunnes to put himself through college. I presume he may be there another year or two. Its already been proven that Dunnes are threatening staff. His 25hrs could become 15 for the next two years because he went on strike. Hes in a tough position.

Remember Dunnes are using their same old tricks but no long pay staff 10k to leave

It could go to 15 for any reason

Sigh. It could, but it's more likely for hours to be cut if the workers do something unsavoury like striking!

• Advertisement

See post #138.

My posts don't have numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

It could but the OP seems to be working away and gettting his 25 without too much issue. If he was to be seen on the picket he will be targeted. Its not right but thats the way Dunnes are operating. Most on the the picket feel they have nothing to lose. The OP feels he has a lot to lose and may have a shorter outlook than others. He wants to keep his head down and get his 25hrs until he gets the hell out of Dunnes. He doesnt deserve criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dave! wrote: »
    Why would someone expect to get a mortgage while working in Dunnes? ...
    Why not? It's probable that a retail assistant doesn't earn enough on his or her own to cover a mortgage, but in most families a mortgage is based on the incomes of two people working.

Tugboats wrote: »
    It could but the OP seems to be working away and gettting his 25 without too much issue. If he was to be seen on the picket he will be targeted. Its not right but thats the way Dunnes are operating. Most on the the picket feel they have nothing to lose. The OP feels he has a lot to lose and may have a shorter outlook than others. He wants to keep his head down and get his 25hrs until he gets the hell out of Dunnes. He doesnt deserve criticism.

Many on the picket are full time staff. They are losing a days pay with nothing to gain.

If people are only out to look after themselves they will have little support when they need it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

To clarify I wanted to go on strike and support my colleagues. I'm stuck in a position that no other third level students are striking therefore If I strike they will be getting extra hours and I will be slashed to the bare 15 hours a week. Living out of home I pay all my expenses. You may think car insurance isn't a basic need but in my situation it is. Getting to work would become to awkward and costly without a car. Accommodation would suck up the majority of my earnings and I would be subdued to eating beans on toast for dinner. I feel awful enough crossing the picket already and I really don't need you to pick away at my reasons to be honest.

To clarify I wanted to go on strike and support my colleagues. I'm stuck in a position that no other third level students are striking therefore If I strike they will be getting extra hours and I will be slashed to the bare 15 hours a week. Living out of home I pay all my expenses. You may think car insurance isn't a basic need but in my situation it is. Getting to work would become to awkward and costly without a car. Accommodation would suck up the majority of my earnings and I would be subdued to eating beans on toast for dinner. I feel awful enough crossing the picket already and I really don't need you to pick away at my reasons to be honest.

I worked through college too. Toast and beans. I was spaghetti hoops and toast. Are we only allowed to commend your reasons for breaking the picket???

I worked Fri to Sunday and paid myself fully in college.

They could slash your hours and bring in cheaper staff. Nothing to stop them doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

I worked through college too. Toast and beans. I was spaghetti hoops and toast. Are we only allowed to commend your reasons for breaking the picket???

I worked Fri to Sunday and paid myself fully in college.

Im not looking for people to commend my reasons for not striking. Just feel you've a very narrow minded approach in to looking at why im striking. Your more looking for a reaction of people instead of stating your opinion and then leaving it off imo. Spagetti hoops and toast might have been fine for you but it is certainly not for me. With spending so much time between college and work along with hurling here and there I think its fair to enjoy a meal that might fill me and give me a bit of energy.
    They could slash your hours and bring in cheaper staff. Nothing to stop them doing that.

Ya that is a possibility but so far that has never happened me so I don't see why it would happen now as long as I do an honest days work. It is a near certainty that my hours will be cut if I strike.

Im not looking for people to commend my reasons for not striking. Just feel you've a very narrow minded approach in to looking at why im striking. Your more looking for a reaction of people instead of stating your opinion and then leaving it off imo. Spagetti hoops and toast might have been fine for you but it is certainly not for me. With spending so much time between college and work along with hurling here and there I think its fair to enjoy a meal that might fill me and give me a bit of energy.

Ya that is a possibility but so far that has never happened me so I don't see why it would happen now as long as I do an honest days work. It is a near certainty that my hours will be cut if I strike.

Well as long as you are alright then

• Advertisement

I haven't seen one example where breaking the strike is for the common good over the individual one

Advertisement