Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

It'll probably be the best place to stock up on a few cans today.
    Unlikely to be any queues at the tills.

Might pop in on way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    I worked as a student in a pub, I was never given a contract, I had no guarantee of my shift hours as the work was considered part time. I just got on with it and earned a bit of cash to pay for my studies.

I would pass the picket, the workers on strike have the right to strike, I have the right to buy the food I eat where I choose.

I passed the picket as a student when some of the lecturers were out on strike, most were not on strike. I still had classes to go to. I had paid for those classes through my not so inconsiderable fees so, damn right I was not going to miss out.

They should go through the labour relations court and sort it out there.

Zero hour contracts are fine when they are not abused.
    Mandate has said that the retailer has refused to negotiate with them and are unwilling to attend the Labour Court.

What do you define as abuse?
    galljga1 wrote: »
    I too await the answer.

Me too....somehow i don't think we'll get answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

passed by Dunnes this morning, plenty pickets outside, but I did see a staff member inside putting clothes on a rack. Did they not all strike?

I went and did my business in Aldi, i was surprised how cheap it was, will be going aldi to do my full weekly shop in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,309 ✭✭✭✭noodler

johndoe99 wrote: »
    passed by Dunnes this morning, plenty pickets outside, but I did see a staff member inside putting clothes on a rack. Did they not all strike?

I went and did my business in Aldi, i was surprised how cheap it was, will be going aldi to do my full weekly shop in future.

And let that be a lesson to you workers of Dunne Stores!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

johndoe99 wrote: »

Not all staff are union members - if they're not then they will be working today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

Went down to my local Dunnes to have a chat with the people on picket. They were in good form but a lot of people had crossed the picket to do their shopping. I was disappointed to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Won't be passing

Hope they get all they are looking for out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

As is your right.

Won't be passing any picket myself, never have never would. Takes a certain type of human being to pass a picket.

Posters: No more characterising people who pass pickets. It's their right to do so regardless how you feel.
    Following from the previous mod warning in Post 13 the next person who makes a dig at picket passers will get an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't pass the picket, I have no excuse not to really as I live near lots of other shops. However, even if I was stuck I wouldn't pass the picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

I have no problem with Dunne's making money. I hope they make good profits.

Also would love the staff to be treated well. I think that zero hour contract is obnoxious.

How can anyone with a family make arrangements to look after kids?

It should be possible to look after staff and make good profits. It seems the owners don't care about staffs quality of life.

It's like a race to the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

They're complaining about getting treated badly. What do they expect, it's a low skilled, low paid job. Maybe they should've went to college and got a worthwhile qualification and they wouldn't be in this predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

If I happen to need something from Dunnes I'll happily pass the picket. The workers have a right to picket, I have a right to shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

kingtut wrote: »
    If I happen to need something from Dunnes I'll happily pass the picket. The workers have a right to picket, I have a right to shop.

Preach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They're complaining about getting treated badly. What do they expect, it's a low skilled, low paid job. Maybe they should've went to college and got a worthwhile qualification and they wouldn't be in this predicament.

Not everyone is suited to college

I'm going down to Dunnes soon. To support the workers

I can't expect you really mean this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I wish people woul check facts before believing the utter rubbish spouted form mandate.

There are NO ZERO HOUR CONTRACTS.

Also no compnay has to recognise a union nor talk to a union.

Also the labour court is a union knocking shop - I'm an employer and let a staff member go after she threatend another staff member & stole from someone's bag and despite the labour court saying that there was no issue with the sacking, they still awarded her €5k! - Because she should have been "warned" that theft from another employee was a sackable offence!!!! Yep - THAT is how the labour court operates. Needless to say I never paid as they have zero power to implement their ridiculous awards. (she didn't take it to EAT)

Dunnes pay higher per hour than most other surpermarkets and staff stay there longer.

Yes, hours are flexible and that works both ways in many cases. More hours at easter & Christmas, less hours at quieter times. That retail for you. Very handy work for those who need the flexibility, not great if its a career choiuce and you want / need full time.

I even heard mandate were trying to get students to strike - the don't wnat more than 15 hours as they are in college!!!

Probelm is, mandate are spouting a lot of mis information and the employees and others are believing it. They don't seem to want to check for themselves.

so maybe check what pay increase staff have had in 2013 & 2014. Check the average hourly rate they get paid and find out if the conditions of employment are good (from what I've heard there's very few complaints). Naturally in a company with 14,000 staff, there will be a few disgruntled staff and another few who will simply follow like sheep the way SF work in certain areas.

If they continue, I'd suspect the 10-12 loss making stores will get mothballed and or trading hours will get cut back. Then see what mandate say when 600-800 staff are let go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Not a single person has crossed the picket yet at my local Dunnes, according to the ladies picketing there :) SuperValu nearby was busier than I've ever seen it :D

delahuntv wrote: »
    I wish people woul check facts before believing the utter rubbish spouted form mandate.

Is there anything else you have to back this up?

Even if nobody in Dunnes is getting hours below a minimum of 15 a week, the principle of having a suppossedly full-time worker on 15 hours one week and 35 another seems wrong to me.

Not a single person has crossed the picket yet at my local Dunnes, according to the ladies picketing there :) SuperValu nearby was busier than I've ever seen it :D

Are they back in work tomorrow? 20% off Dunnes online today..probably won't hurt as bad as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Also the labour court is a union knocking shop - I'm an employer and let a staff member go after she threatend another staff member & stole from someone's bag and despite the labour court saying that there was no issue with the sacking, they still awarded her €5k! - Because she should have been "warned" that theft from another employee was a sackable offence!!!! Yep - THAT is how the labour court operates. Needless to say I never paid as they have zero power to implement their ridiculous awards. (she didn't take it to EAT)

Dunnes pay higher per hour than most other surpermarkets and staff stay there longer.

Yes, hours are flexible and that works both ways in many cases. More hours at easter & Christmas, less hours at quieter times. That retail for you. Very handy work for those who need the flexibility, not great if its a career choiuce and you want / need full time.

I even heard mandate were trying to get students to strike - the don't wnat more than 15 hours as they are in college!!!

Probelm is, mandate are spouting a lot of mis information and the employees and others are believing it. They don't seem to want to check for themselves.

so maybe check what pay increase staff have had in 2013 & 2014. Check the average hourly rate they get paid and find out if the conditions of employment are good (from what I've heard there's very few complaints). Naturally in a company with 14,000 staff, there will be a few disgruntled staff and another few who will simply follow like sheep the way SF work in certain areas.

If they continue, I'd suspect the 10-12 loss making stores will get mothballed and or trading hours will get cut back. Then see what mandate say when 600-800 staff are let go!

I'm glad to see all parties backing the strikers.

efb wrote: »
    I'm going down to Dunnes soon. To support the workers

Really, to shop or to protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

noodler wrote: »
    Is there anything else you have to back this up?

Even if nobody in Dunnes is getting hours below a minimum of 15 a week, the principle of having a suppossedly full-time worker on 15 hours one week and 35 another seems wrong to me.

http://dunnesworkers.com/key-issues/
    Many Dunnes Stores workers are on flexi-hour contracts and face low and insecure working hours and unpredictable working schedules which can often vary between 15-35 hours from week to week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I wish people woul check facts

I even heard mandate were trying to get students to strike you heard?. doesnt sound like a fact:rolleyes:

mandate are spouting a lot of mis information like yourself

from what I've heard there's very few complaints you heard? doesn't sound like as fact:rolleyes:

I'd suspect the 10-12 loss making stores will get mothballed and or trading hours will get cut back. you're opinion. Doesnt sound like fact

For someone obsessed with facts I find your post :D and :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I support the Dunnes Stores workers!

I myself work for one of Ireland's largest companies and I am on a zero hours contract. It is blatant exploitation. Unfortunately there is no alternative for a similar role in a different company and they know that.

I am currently sitting on my arse doing nothing and have been for the past month simply because they didn't need me this past month. Guess how much money I will get during the next payday? Zero euro. Nothing.

Zero and low hour contracts are an epidemic in this Country and in others and something needs to be done.

I understand there can be certain scenarios where workers would prefer these contracts. For example part time staff over Christmas for example.

Finally I would like to say that I consider myself centre right wing when it comes to politics and I have no time for the Shinners and certain established unions. On the other side of the spectrum however, we have large companies, often multinationals too are abusing the lax labour laws in this country and it is the ordinary workers that suffer.

Do you know what Zero Hour contracts are?

Clearly you don't!

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I support the Dunnes Stores workers!

I myself work for one of Ireland's largest companies and I am on a zero hours contract. It is blatant exploitation. Unfortunately there is no alternative for a similar role in a different company and they know that.

I am currently sitting on my arse doing nothing and have been for the past month simply because they didn't need me this past month. Guess how much money I will get during the next payday? Zero euro. Nothing.

Zero and low hour contracts are an epidemic in this Country and in others and something needs to be done.

I understand there can be certain scenarios where workers would prefer these contracts. For example part time staff over Christmas for example.

Finally I would like to say that I consider myself centre right wing when it comes to politics and I have no time for the Shinners and certain established unions. On the other side of the spectrum however, we have large companies, often multinationals too are abusing the lax labour laws in this country and it is the ordinary workers that suffer.

You have a right to be paid 25% of the hours you have to be available or 15 hours (whichever is lower) in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Which branch is that?

Really, to shop or to protest?

Support the striking workers, shopping in Dunnes today doesn't support workers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

efb wrote: »
    Not everyone is suited to college

Well then that greatly limits their options as regards employment. And I suspect a lot of people aren't suited to college because they're lazy and don't want to work hard. In America college fees can be as high as $30k per year so no excuse for people not getting 3rd level education here.

Advertisement