Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well then that greatly limits their options as regards employment. And I suspect a lot of people aren't suited to college because they're lazy and don't want to work hard. In America college fees can be as high as $30k per year so no excuse for people not getting 3rd level education here.

Not everyone has the aptitude for college. I'm surprised someone with a intellect as keen as yours couldn't grasp that one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Is it just me that would feel literally nothing as I "passed the Picket"?

How else will I buy my easter eggs?

I only buy my eggs in Butlers etc, no scrimping like you peasants LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

The thing is this is not an issue unique to Dunnes.Low hours contracts are on the rise and its not to provide employees with "flexibility", thats hogwash.Its so that employers wont have to pay the benefits, for want of a better expression, that permanent staff enjoy.You know, luxuries like holiday pay.Let no one fool you on that.
    The UK has almost 800,000 people on zero hours contracts (BBC news last night) and growing as it is here in Ireland.There should be no zero contracts full stop.If a company has X amount of hours to be covered they should be done so by mostly full time staff not spread thinly among many more people.Anyone who says they WANT to be on a zero hours contract needs their head examined.Try getting the dole never mind a mortgage on a zero hours contract.
    The economy will pick up quicker and maintain its strength into the future the more people are working full time, thats a no brainer.Which brings me to the unions.They are campaigning for banded hours, 20-25, 25-30 and so on to guatantee staff a certain amount of hours work.But even this is a con.They SHOULD be campaigning for a system to maximise full time work.The reason they're not?Well in case you havent figured it out yet, THEIR bottom line is membership.The unions are happy to push this banded contracts thing over full time work because it'll ensure more members.Wether you are full time or banded hours they'll still get their pound of flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I also think that zero hour contracts is wrong. How is anyone meant to plan to live there life from one week to the next if they don,t know if they will be working or not. I think that Dunnes is none the the worst employers in the Country. The management at the top just don,t seem to care. They never comment on anything they are asked there is never any statements made if the media or a union try to ask or secure better terms for the workers.
    As for the people working in the shops there. There can be some nice ones and then there is the ones mentioned earlier that just don,t seem to care that are slow and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭towelly

ankaragucu wrote: »
    The thing is this is not an issue unique to Dunnes.Low hours contracts are on the rise and its not to provide employees with "flexibility", thats hogwash.Its so that employers wont have to pay the benefits, for want of a better expression, that permanent staff enjoy.You know, luxuries like holiday pay.Let no one fool you on that.
    The UK has almost 800,000 people on zero hours contracts (BBC news last night) and growing as it is here in Ireland.There should be no zero contracts full stop.If a company has X amount of hours to be covered they should be done so by mostly full time staff not spread thinly among many more people.Anyone who says they WANT to be on a zero hours contract needs their head examined.Try getting the dole never mind a mortgage on a zero hours contract.
    The economy will pick up quicker and maintain its strength into the future the more people are working full time, thats a no brainer.Which brings me to the unions.They are campaigning for banded hours, 20-25, 25-30 and so on to guatantee staff a certain amount of hours work.But even this is a con.They SHOULD be campaigning for a system to maximise full time work.The reason they're not?Well in case you havent figured it out yet, THEIR bottom line is membership.The unions are happy to push this banded contracts thing over full time work because it'll ensure more members.Wether you are full time or banded hours they'll still get their pound of flesh.

Zero hour contracts are an election issue in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

efb wrote: »
    Not everyone has the aptitude for college. I'm surprised someone with a intellect as keen as yours couldn't grasp that one

There are courses for all levels of intellect. Believe me there are some people I know with degrees and even Masters and if they can achieve this level of education anybody can. Those who don't bother making the effort however, end up working in the likes of Dunnes and then expect the same privileges as people who worked tirelessly to get a proper job.

towelly wrote: »
    Zero hour contracts are an election issue in the UK.

Hopefully they will be in our impending election too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

You have a right to be paid 25% of the hours you have to be available or 15 hours (whichever is lower) in this country

Incorrect. My VERY well known company gets around these laws. I don't actually work for them but via an external agency who then assign me to be a director of a limited company. I am now self employed and my services are hired by this large company! They also assign me to an accountant who I have to pay for.

So in the end I have zero rights whatsoever. They can fire me today simply by stating that my services are no longer required and I most certainly do not have the right to be paid anything because of these devious methods.

You may ask I am I still working for them? Well simply because I have invested a handful of years studying in my field and I am passionate about the job. It's just such a shame that some of the few jobs in this field are with an appalling company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Not everyone is suited to college

And college isnt the only option to upskill.

There are courses for all levels of intellect. Believe me there are some people I know with degrees and even Masters and if they can achieve this level of education anybody can. Those who don't bother making the effort however, end up working in the likes of Dunnes and then expect the same privileges as people who worked tirelessly to get a proper job.

As usual , for most people and most issues, its a case of the haves and have nots.Cameron and Milliband have both said that THEY wouldnt be prepared to work on zero hours contracts so they wouldnt expect anyone else to.Period.
    Your reward for attaining college qualifications that lead to a "proper" job as you call it, is a higher salary and benefits.It doesnt mean that any degree of fairness should go out the window for the hundreds of thousands who havent benefitted from a college education and are seeking employment.

• Advertisement

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Incorrect. My VERY well known company gets around these laws. I don't actually work for them but via an external agency who then assign me to be a director of a limited company. I am now self employed and my services are hired by this large company! They also assign me to an accountant who I have to pay for.

So in the end I have zero rights whatsoever. They can fire me today simply by stating that my services are no longer required and I most certainly do not have the right to be paid anything because of these devious methods.

You may ask I am I still working for them? Well simply because I have invested a handful of years studying in my field and I am passionate about the job. It's just such a shame that some of the few jobs in this field are with an appalling company.

Well if you're not an employee different laws apply to subcontractors

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

Are you actually serious? You might have an education but clearly have clue about real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

ankaragucu wrote: »
    As usual , for most people and most issues, its a case of the haves and have nots.Cameron and Milliband have both said that THEY wouldnt be prepared to work on zero hours contracts so they wouldnt expect anyone else to.Period.
    Your reward for attaining college qualifications that lead to a "proper" job as you call it, is a higher salary and benefits.It doesnt mean that any degree of fairness should go out the window for the hundreds of thousands who havent benefitted from a college education and are seeking employment.

That's exactly what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

I went past a Dunnes Stores earlier. Picketers outside seemed to be getting a lot of support. The store was practically empty.

Hilariously, a small group of managers were inside the store eyeballing the strikers & looking quite worried & angry. :pac:

The nearby Tesco store was the busiest I've ever seen it outside of Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Well if you're not an employee different laws apply to subcontractors

Which is why things need to change in regards to employment law.

This is a company making record profits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

Are you actually serious? You might have an education but clearly have no clue about real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

daveyeh wrote: »
    I went past a Dunnes Stores earlier. Picketers outside seemed to be getting a lot of support. The store was practically empty.

Hilariously, a small group of managers were inside the store eyeballing the strikers & looking quite worried & angry. :pac:

The nearby Tesco store was the busiest I've ever seen it outside of Christmas!

Tesco should donate some cash to the striking Dunnes workers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

I'm a current Dunnes employee and today unfortunately I will be crossing the picket line. I am currently a college student but I have worked in Dunnes for quite a while now (longer than most of the other college students) but my hand has been forced to put my needs first. In my store I would say there is about a 50/50 split between people striking and people going in to work. There is very few students striking making it easy to punish me. At the moment I work on average 25 hours a week which can be more on busy weeks. This helps pay my insurance, accommodation etc. living be pretty much self sufficient from my parents. If I was to strike there is no doubt I would be cut to 15 hours a week and woud become dependent on my parents once again. I don't agree with the strike entirely also. I have never seen someone in the store I work in work 5 3 hour shifts in one week. More I think about it ive never heard of a 3 hour shift with the min. being 4 and a half hours. Also I feel Mandate are pushing it for their own agenda of getting recognition off Dunnes. Saying that it is common that managers use the roster as a control tactic to punish people for being genuinely sick, making a small mistake etc. Also with no full contract given in 9 years there are a few employees who really do deserve one. I really hope that when im at work tonight there isn't a single soul shopping. Not because I want to doss its just the people outside that door deserve all the support they can get. Its going to be extremely tough to walk past people ive made friends with tonight, I just hope customers don't follow me.

tommullane wrote: »
    I'm a current Dunnes employee and today unfortunately I will be crossing the picket line. I am currently a college student but I have worked in Dunnes for quite a while now (longer than most of the other college students) but my hand has been forced to put my needs first. In my store I would say there is about a 50/50 split between people striking and people going in to work. There is very few students striking making it easy to punish me. At the moment I work on average 25 hours a week which can be more on busy weeks. This helps pay my insurance, accommodation etc. living be pretty much self sufficient from my parents. If I was to strike there is no doubt I would be cut to 15 hours a week and woud become dependent on my parents once again. I don't agree with the strike entirely also. I have never seen someone in the store I work in work 5 3 hour shifts in one week. More I think about it ive never heard of a 3 hour shift with the min. being 4 and a half hours. Also I feel Mandate are pushing it for their own agenda of getting recognition off Dunnes. Saying that it is common that managers use the roster as a control tactic to punish people for being genuinely sick, making a small mistake etc. Also with no full contract given in 9 years there are a few employees who really do deserve one. I really hope that when im at work tonight there isn't a single soul shopping. Not because I want to doss its just the people outside that door deserve all the support they can get. Its going to be extremely tough to walk past people ive made friends with tonight, I just hope customers don't follow me.

If you cross they can cross. You cannot be fired for supporting a strike

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

I know customers can cross I just really hope they don't. If you read my post carefully you would understand my reasoning. Losing a 100 euro+ a week is as bad as getting fired in my opinion

• Advertisement

I know customers can cross I just really hope they don't. If you read my post carefully you would understand my reasoning. Losing a 100 euro+ a week is as bad as getting fired in my opinion

You will only lose today's pay. The needs of one ahead of the needs of many.

I never had to pay insurance in college

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Mandate Assistant General Secretary Gerry Light said: “Dunnes workers are taking a very brave stance today and they have to be commended for it. Their employer has threatened them with cuts to hours, inconvenient rostering and even job losses, and remarkably they are courageously standing firm

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Car insurance maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I think what the person above is saying is that if they stood outside and supported their co-workers, they would be punished by having their hours slashed.

Very difficult position.

Unless ALL Dunnes workers stood outside.

kc90 wrote: »
    Car insurance maybe?

Couldn't afford a car in college - not many could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

delahuntv wrote: »
    I'm an employer and let a staff member go after she threatend another staff member & stole from someone's bag and despite the labour court saying that there was no issue with the sacking, they still awarded her €5k! - Because she should have been "warned" that theft from another employee was a sackable offence!!!! Yep - THAT is how the labour court operates

Don't blame the labour court for your ignorance of employment law. Any employer worth his/her salt knows the correct process for disciplining (up to dismissing) staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Read the post again. The ee is afraid their hours will be cut back to 15 hours from now on instead of the 25 hours they are currently getting. How did you get away without either paying car/life/health/bike insurance and think that nobody else would have this charge?.

I think what the person above is saying is that if they stood outside and supported their co-workers, they would be punished by having their hours slashed.

Very difficult position.

Unless ALL Dunnes workers stood outside.
    Nothing to stop them cutting his hours anyway. Dunnes is cutthroat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Perhaps someone has already said this but surely because of the strike there will be no customers, therefore the company makes no money today and as a result may have to let some workers go.

Also because people don't want to cross the picket they are going to other stores and should they find them cheaper/better they might not return to Dunnes Stores in the future ...

Maybe I'm stupid but I just don't get what positive can come out of today?

• Advertisement

Read the post again. The ee is afraid their hours will be cut back to 15 hours from now on instead of the 25 hours they are currently getting. How did you get away without either paying car/life/health/bike insurance and think that nobody else would have this charge?.

Life insurance in college? Students would quality on their parents health insurance - I didn't have it til now

Advertisement