Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Options
  • 19-01-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭

Recently moved house and on the look out for bargains, I kept an eye on this page. I was disappointed having traveled from Dublin to Longford searching for a good bed and mattress, when lots of boardsies appeared to get great deals at bigmickeys. Prices were decent there but not worth the trip, IMO.

However, following some local road signs, I was surprised by the bargains to be had bed wise at Comfort beds outlet/clearance shop in Tallaght. Its pretty much behind the Maldron hotel - South City Business Park, Whitestown Way to be precise.

From the Tallaght bypass leaving town, take a left before the Maldron Hotel, and a right at the first roundabout, the industrial estate is the first right.

A lot of very nice beds/mattresses, pretty high end and a decent enough range, saving yourself a few hundred euro (maybe more). Was more than happy with the 5ft Sealy mattress we picked up for 425. Comfort also have a shop in Ballybrack I think. Never been there, and Im not sure if they have the same prices in the shop.

Just something to throw into the mix if you are looking for a good mattress/bed bargain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭emo72

a lot of the furniture shops seem to be struggling or closing, so i suspect there is a lot of good bargains to be had. i got my kingsize pocketsprung and memory foam mattress from prestige bedcentre behind woodies on the naas road. it was 399 euro.

2 reasons why i bought it. no deposit needed, which was reassuring. and 3 years warranty which is great. now i know the warranty is useless if the shop closes tomorrow.
    but hey.

I am in desperate need of a new bed and I know the shop in Ballybrack well! Thanks for the tip OP, I was going to head to IKEA on saturday but might pop in there tomorrow evening first, pretty sure they open late on Thursdays

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Thanks OP

Just wondering did they have many bed bases as I have a very good quality mattress but need a new base

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

I am in desperate need of a new bed and I know the shop in Ballybrack well! Thanks for the tip OP, I was going to head to IKEA on saturday but might pop in there tomorrow evening first, pretty sure they open late on Thursdays

Another place, closer to ikea, that is doing a good deal on some beds (we have been over and back throughout the country) is Robert Scott Interiors in Glasnevin. They have some good deals on beds and furniture for that matter - not quite the range or consistent savings as the Comfort clearance warehouse in Tallaght - but it would be another possibility.

Thanks OP

Just wondering did they have many bed bases as I have a very good quality mattress but need a new base

We were looking for the opposite (had a base, needing a mattress) so couldn't be 100% certain but it was mainly mattresses and divan sets that were on show - and there didnt appear to be many/any bed bases. Maybe, give the shop in Ballybrack a ring.

We got our bed base from Flanagans in Mount Merrion if that is any use to you. Reduced apparently from 1200 to 400. I do mean apparently, but we were happy with it. I see they have a sale on at the moment from the papers. As the last post, Robert Scott Interiors had a better than normal sale on and you might see something there. Lots of nice things that we would have liked in that shop at what I thought were reasonable prices, including stylish bed bases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We found beds.ie good too.
    Got the most lovely bed there at 1/2 the shop price and customer service was also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Lookin myself for a good double-matress

Argos have some down from 900 euro to about 250/300

Memory foam layer, no turn

But Id rather a physical shop-around too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I always use Mattress Man in the UK for any mattress I purchase - great prices and free shipping to Ireland !

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I always use Mattress Man in the UK for any mattress I purchase - great prices and free shipping to Ireland !

would you try them out in a shop before choosing and ordering online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

would you try them out in a shop before choosing and ordering online?
    Yep - try it out locally and then order it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Yep - try it out locally and then order it online
    Where would u try them out?

I did search online, including mattressman and beds, and thought there was decent value in both those compared to many/most bricks and mortar shops in Ireland. However, whatever savings that you could get from them can be matched in the bricks and mortar shops mentioned above - maybe not on all beds.

I would definitely decide what bed you want first (by trying it out) and then search for the price. If the online shops sell it cheaper, fantastic, but in my experience there was little difference (if any) on the beds that appealed to me, in the shops mentioned above.

If anyone has found cheap quality bedroom sets (duvets, sheets, etc) it would be great to know.....

(i understand mods, bargain requests is that a way---->)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

What my wife and I did was send big mickey a picture of a bed from another website and advised him what we were looking for, it took a week or two but he came back with a very high quality mattress from the pocket sprung bed company.

So we got a pocket sprung king size mattress with a king size base including drawers, he also gave us a Stuart Jones headboard all delivered to Limerick for under 1000 Euros.

We priced the EXACT same bed in an Irish store for over 2,500 Euros not including the same headboard.

To say my wife was happy was an understatement, I love a good bargain and have`nt stop telling every one in work about it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭RayCon

Homestore and More currently have memory foam mattresses at half price :

Single = €124.99
    Double = €174.99
    King = €199.99

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭beaniebarbeque

Who or what is Big Mickey? Not something I want to type into Google...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

bigmickey.ie

he sells beds and furniture along the n4 in a store but the prices he charges for most of his beds are completely different to what you would pay in hardley normal or any other bed store. we got a super king size bed with a huge matteress and matteress topper well worth over 4k for €850 and that included delivery.

there is a big mickey thread on here

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Furniture store in longford. There's quite a large thread about him on here already see here so I wont rehash my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eddieham

like many others on boards we heard about Bigmickey from the now closed thread on beds.
    Without hesitation we would recommend and encourage anyone looking for furniture/bedding to take a visit to Micks.
    We have absolutely no connection or ties to Mick other than we got a fantastic "bargain" on what we bought and I thought it worth putting up in Bargain Alerts
    We were looking for a replacement super king matress and I had priced in many different outlets both bricks & mortar stores and online .The only day we were both free to travel from Kilkenny was new years eve and Mick met us at the shop and opened up for us.
    The man is a pure gent, no hard sell or pushing and he lets us wander round at our leisure (3 kids running riot aswell!), we must have being in the store for nearly two hours.
    Ultimately we ended up purchasing a super king mattress, sheets and covers for same, a leather 3 piece suite, footstool, 2 x floormats and 40yds of timber flooring for the livingroom.
    None of our purchases were impulse as were looking for all and had priced and viewed elsewhere, just didnt realise bigmickey stocks as much as he does.
    Overall I reckon we saved roughly 30%.
    We took delivery of all our bits on Saturday as arranged and received regular calls from both Mick and the driver as to his ETA.
    We are more than happy with quality and comfort of all but the mattress is just unbelievably comfortable.Its huge aswell at 31cm deep.We replaced a mid range silentnight and the difference is like night and day, it really is fantastic. Mick has being in contact twice since delivery to make sure everything was in order and that I had enough timber for the floor.
    Above and beyond customer service and aprox 30% savings make this a Bargain Alert for me

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

argos have a good few super kingsize beds for half price this one isnt in the sale but it is a big auld bed for the price €445.99 ive ordered one, if its no good it can go in the spare room.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6927864/Trail/searchtext%3ESILENTNIGHT+LAYEZEE+ESSENCE+SUPERKING+DIVAN+BED.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    argos have a good few super kingsize beds for half price this one isnt in the sale but it is a big auld bed for the price €445.99 ive ordered one, if its no good it can go in the spare room.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6927864/Trail/searchtext%3ESILENTNIGHT+LAYEZEE+ESSENCE+SUPERKING+DIVAN+BED.htm

Hi Chris, it might be worth checking this out if you havent already paid for your bed, it looks like the same bed advertised only €299

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bedroom/1443853

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Hi Chris, it might be worth checking this out if you havent already paid for your bed, it looks like the same bed advertised only €299

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bedroom/1443853

oh dear, ive already payed for it. i wonder does big mickey have any left, with the ad being 22 days old im hoping not so i wont feel so bad:) i wonder do argos take the money straight away or not until they have confirmed the delivery date? i shall ring mickey tomorrow if they havent taken the money yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

We recently moved into a new house and bought a few from Big Mickey - great service and quality tbh.

Ordering from the UK can be a good idea too - Cheap Mattresses source the cheapest in England - delivery can be a bit extra though.

Best of luck! :)

Not really any bargains to be had in comfort ballybrack :(

Think I found my perfect bed in beds etc though, it's like heaven and is down from €1,799 to €899. I wasn't necessarily planning on spending that much but my god it's gorgeous! I can't remember the name of the bed but going back in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I gotta give another Thumbs up to Big Mickey... Been a year and a half since we got our bed from him and we're still telling people about it. We spent a month traveling around the states, stayed in some class hotels and slept on many fancy beds. Still, got home and into bed and swear it's the best thing we've ever slept on.

I'm not sure how the OP didn't spot any good deals while he was there. €425 for a 5ft Sealy mattress, you'd have got a base, headboard and duvet for that down in Longford. I remember we where looking at Sealy and Silientnight beds when we got ours, they where between €5-600 for 6ft base, mattress and headboard.

We're actually heading back down in the next week or so cause the missus wants to get some new bits for the house..

Not really any bargains to be had in comfort ballybrack :(

Think I found my perfect bed in beds etc though, it's like heaven and is down from €1,799 to €899. I wasn't necessarily planning on spending that much but my god it's gorgeous! I can't remember the name of the bed but going back in the morning!!

Hi whoopsadaisydoodles, Never been to the shop in Ballybrack myself, just the outlet clearance warehouse they have in Tallaght. Definite value to be had there. It was a longshot that the same value was to be had in the shop.

Unklerosco, the only decent deal in bigmickey's when i was down there was a sealy's mattress in a bag. I didnt need a base or headboard. What I got was sealy's mattress - (posturopaedic, pocket sprung, memory foam and cushion top) and was better than the mattress in a bag or what was on offer in bigmickeys IMO. It was a long way to travel to be disappointed. There was very very few bargains that knocked my eye out. Even some of the bedding (throws, duvets) were decent but nothing to drive to Longford for. There was more than one bed/mattress that struck me as being good value in the Comfort outlet and had I to buy a second bed, my first port of call would be the comfort outlet again, or Robert Scott Interior sale. This is the mattress that I got. http://www.beds.ie/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1096

Just adding that I have absolutely nothing to do with any furniture shop anywhere, just that we have been waiting to move into our new house for over 6 months and I have sat on a lot of beds and been viewing lots of bargain alerts. Simply passing on my opinion. It was a surprise to me that there was nothing mentioned on here about the Clearance shop in Tallaght. Disappointed that they dont offer their shop customers the same value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Foe

Hi all,

Im more a lurker than a poster but have to take this opportunity to recommend big mickey seen as the previous thread was closed!!!

Having trawled through all the recommendations on the other thread we went down to visit his shop just over 2 weeks ago after I convinced the hubby we could get a good deal - I badly wanted & needed a new bed due to my bad back and just didnt have the type of money that would be expected in hardley normal or any other similiar place.

I didnt have any particular brand name or type of bed in mind - all I wanted was something that was comfortable and kingsize (our previous bed was double and from I**a - we live in a rented house so it was what the landlord had put in for us).

We spent around an hour with mick looking at loads of different mattresses and bed bases and finally decided on a leather bed frame with a silentnight memory foam mattress (it came rolled up and vacum packed, I had seen loads of other posters on the other thread raving about them), because the mattress was rolled up we were able to take it home with us there and then, the bed frame was delivered 3 days later - free of charge from longford to dublin and took 2 of us less than an hour to put together!!!! The whole lot cost approx 400 - we later looked up an identical base in arg0s and it was 470 for just the base and the mattress was another 400 on top of that (plus that was only for a double sized mattress!)

To say we are delighted is an understatement, have been raving about the place and the bed since we got it and most importantly have slept like a baby everynight since, my problem now is getting out of it in the mornings as its so comfortable not like previously when my prob was getting out of bed because my back was aching!!! My mam and dad are actually goin down to see him to get a mattress the same as ours.

The only regret I have is that I didnt hear about the place sooner as when we moved in here we bought a new suite of furniture and table and chairs and now realise we could have got them cheaper from mick! Even the husband that hates spending money :D has said more than once that it was definitely the best money he ever spent and reckons (as do I) that we couldnt have got a better deal anywhere else!

Ive no hesitation in recommending this place and will most definitely be goin back soon as the kids all need new mattresses - just have to convince scrooge (hubby) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 turlach

We just got back from Mick's this evening, and I cannot sing his praises enough. We had heard about him through donedeal.ie and here on boards.ie, but to be honest we didn't expect to get the deal that we did.
    We got (quite easily) about 3k worth of really high quality bed, mattress and headboard (superking)for 650 euro including delivery (to Dundalk), and we had spent a very long time going into LOTS of large furniture stores, and looking things up online, but after being down in Mick's I can honestly say that I would never shop for my furniture anywhere else.
    The great prices combined with just lovely service made it so easy for us to decide on what we wanted- he opened the warehouse the day before his sale so we could get in to look (as it was the only day we were able to make it down), and he showed us lots of different options, with absolutely no pressure to buy what 'he thought best', he listened to what we wanted and really did help us find it.
    He has a brilliant selection of such a wide range of furniture for really knock down prices, and I'm delighted we drove down (nearly a 5 hour round trip!), because it really was worth our while. He even said if we got our headboard home and it wasn't right there was no problem changing it for one more suitable!
    We will definitely be going back down- he has lovely sofas (we unfortunately don't need another one- despite what the girlfriend thinks) and he said the stock changes all the time, so I think the next time we go down we might see even more things we want- I know we already spotted our kitchen chairs, a tub chair and bedroom furniture we liked. It's shocking to think the inflated prices we were going to pay in large retail stores... there must be at least 500% mark ups, and I have to say it was really refreshing to meet a salesman who I really don't feel was trying to screw us over. I honestly believe he gave us a brilliant price for what we got, and I look forward to shopping with him again.

wow turlach, thanks for posting, big mickeys sounds amazing. i will deffo check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 turlach

emo72 wrote: »
    wow turlach, thanks for posting, big mickeys sounds amazing. i will deffo check it out.

I know emo72, I've been searching all the big stores for ages for a bed, I'm actually so lucky, I was about to part with 1,200e in a certain H Norm shop in Dundalk (that was without delivery and a headboard). I just checked out the price of the headboard we got today and it comes to £550 sterling. I am actually shocked. Mick is a very good, nice, genuine and actually very funny salesman.

Will defo be back again to kit out the rest of the house.
    Its well worth a trip down to his warehouse, its crammed full of stock, and Mick is a very knowledgeable salesman, he's been in the buisness for over 20 years he was telling us. And get this, I just got a text off him to tell me that his van is all loaded up with our delivery and he'll be down to us before lunch time with all our gear. - also forgot to mention, we were buying sheets for the bed, but he said beacuse the mattress we bought was so thick he was going to get them altered by a alocal woman, just to ensure they fit correctly then ship them down to us once they are altered. SHOCKING STUFF. This man will just kill you with kindness...

• Advertisement

turlach wrote: »
    I know emo72, I've been searching all the big stores for ages for a bed, I'm actually so lucky, I was about to part with 1,200e in a certain H Norm shop in Dundalk (that was without delivery and a headboard). I just checked out the price of the headboard we got today and it comes to £550 sterling. I am actually shocked. Mick is a very good, nice, genuine and actually very funny salesman.

Will defo be back again to kit out the rest of the house.
    Its well worth a trip down to his warehouse, its crammed full of stock, and Mick is a very knowledgeable salesman, he's been in the buisness for over 20 years he was telling us. And get this, I just got a text off him to tell me that his van is all loaded up with our delivery and he'll be down to us before lunch time with all our gear. - also forgot to mention, we were buying sheets for the bed, but he said beacuse the mattress we bought was so thick he was going to get them altered by a alocal woman, just to ensure they fit correctly then ship them down to us once they are altered. SHOCKING STUFF. This man will just kill you with kindness...

wow.that is truly amazing. altering sheets and all. i dont know how this guy makes a profit. he should try advertise more, so everyone will get a great deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement