Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

happyday wrote: »
    Tomorrow is Fat Thursday. Its like the Polish version of Pancake Tuesday when they eat the most delicious filled doughnuts. The kids at a school I worked at last year told me about it. Does anyone know where you can get Polish doughnuts in Cork? I'd love to try them.

I got a few Polish doughnuts in the Polish shop where Daily's used to be in Douglas. There was a huge delivery of them while I was in the shop at about 10am. Really nice to eat. I hope Fat Thursday catches on for Irish people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

northgirl wrote: »
    I think it's in Fairhill. Never been but heard great things about it :pac:

I'll let you know ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Went to El Vinos by the Elysium last night, average enough, good choce of starters/tapas, poor on the mains, choice of a beef, pork, chicken, 2 types of fish and a couple of veggie dish's. Wine (malbac) was nothing to crow about either according to herself. My water on the other hand was excellant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

roundymac wrote: »
    Went to El Vinos by the Elysium last night, average enough, good choce of starters/tapas, poor on the mains, choice of a beef, pork, chicken, 2 types of fish and a couple of veggie dish's. Wine (malbac) was nothing to crow about either according to herself. My water on the other hand was excellant.:D

We went a few years ago and wasn't overly impressed either. Very very over priced for average food.
    The one thing I will say was the baked Alaska in there was the nicest dessert I've ever had anywhere. Everything else was just "meh". Nearly sh1t myself when I saw the bill tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tasty Snacks is across the road from the Churchfield all weather pitches. It's grand. Crappy battered sausage lets it down big time. And the queue is mental usually.

Tried Zambrero. Will defo be back. Very nice. No highchairs yet though so had to take away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

gimmick wrote: »
    Tasty Snacks is across the road from the Churchfield all weather pitches. It's grand. Crappy battered sausage lets it down big time. And the queue is mental usually.

Tried Zambrero. Will defo be back. Very nice. No highchairs yet though so had to take away.

do they do proper home made chips and a good garlic mayo? if so i am there.. Also do they use lard? i heard they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Tried Zambrero-found it really bland. Shame! Must get into boojum next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Popped into cafe Velo today, had the veggie panini and a coffee, both excellent, I'll be doing it again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork needs a few well-stocked, high-end bars tbf, so a welcome addition.

Is it a craft cocktail menu (a la the new Fran Well bar, Pigalle, etc) or just your standard range of drinks (albeit with a bigger selection!)

Their Facebook page just says "new menu every 8 weeks" which is great, but I'd like to know what's on it now...

Craft cocktails, but you can ask for whatever you want I'd say. Anyway, everyone and their mother wants to go to the new place in town so ended up back again already.

I had two...
    Nutjob. It's a pistachio based cocktail, came in a tumbler, along with a bowl of pistachios to snack on with it. Yum. €11 i think.

Second one I can't remember the name of, but it was a cocktail for 4, like a punch. Tasted like blackberries, it is quite sweet. That one was shared between the four of us and was 40.

Again, didn't eat, but saw people getting plates of cheese and meats. Looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Zambrero for a bowel recently. It was ok. Still learning, and it's a bit disconcerting the the manager was telling the girl making the bowel that she was doing it wrong, but they proceeded to charge full price for it.

It didn't look great, but to be fair it tasted good and was nice and fresh. I preferred Boojam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Zambrero for a bowel recently. It was ok. Still learning, and it's a bit disconcerting the the manager was telling the girl making the bowel that she was doing it wrong, but they proceeded to charge full price for it.

It didn't look great, but to be fair it tasted good and was nice and fresh. I preferred Boojam.

What did you order?! I can't figure out what 'bowel' might have auto-corrected from! :pac:

Malari wrote: »
    What did you order?! I can't figure out what 'bowel' might have auto-corrected from! :pac:

Its basically the ingredients of a burrito in a bowl instead of a wrap!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Its basically the ingredients of a burrito in a bowel instead of a wrap!

A bowl? 😂

AGH!! Hangs head in shame.

Oh sorry, haha, didn't click. :D

A burrito bowl sounds infinitely more tasty than lower intestines, to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Zambrero for a bowel recently. It was ok...

Interesting
    Thought the opposite, was very unimpressed with the grub and place. Way more of a takeaway than Zombrero IMO. The Blonde sent hers (fajitas) back, in fairness to the staff, they were very nice, changed it no hassle.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Popped into cafe Velo today, had the veggie panini and a coffee, both excellent, I'll be doing it again!!

+1 on Velo

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Looks like a new place opening soon where Aroi used to be, another Asian street food.

https://twitter.com/KotoCork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

nerwen wrote: »
    Looks like a new place opening soon where Aroi used to be, another Asian street food.

https://twitter.com/KotoCork

spotted that - Koto - I hope its something good - not just another Aroi or Ramen.. - none of them are a patch on Banna thai imo.. how I miss it..

Sago is good but I still miss Banna..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Actually went to Coqbull yesterday on friend's request and while it's still as noisy and dark in there as before, I think they've improved the food massively since last time I went. Smoked Gubbeen chorizo fries were amazing and the philly steak was on a proper crusty baguette, very nice!

Actually went to Coqbull yesterday on friend's request and while it's still as noisy and dark in there as before, I think they've improved the food massively since last time I went. Smoked Gubbeen chorizo fries were amazing and the philly steak was on a proper crusty baguette, very nice!

Have they still only the one toilet for the whole restaurant? I think I heard there was some work going on there.

• Advertisement

I was in Kubo in Douglas yesterday with a big group. Everyone was very happy with their food. There was plenty of it and plenty of meat in each dish too. I had chilli fried rice as recommended by someone on here. It was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

Went to Miyazaki, unbelievable food. Very little seating, so not sure it technically qualifies as a restaurant... but it is well worth the trip. Subsequent trips will become known as pilgrimages :D

I think they do a good burger and fries to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I think they do a good burger and fries to be honest.

No, they do lots more than just a burger. I love their half chicken, which I have with mash and gravy. It was disappointing that in their menu redesign, they dropped the buttermilk wings.

Of its type it is one of the best in the city, and good portions too.

The one thing that pisses me off is that they fill the glass full of ice and then add the Coke etc. which is a nice way of increasing the profit margin. That said, we love going there.

Mumha wrote: »
    No, they do lots more than just a burger. I love their half chicken, which I have with mash and gravy. It was disappointing that in their menu redesign, they dropped the buttermilk wings.

Of its type it is one of the best in the city, and good portions too.

The one thing that pisses me off is that they fill the glass full of ice and then add the Coke etc. which is a nice way of increasing the profit margin. That said, we love going there.

I know that. I like their burgers and fries. That's all.

IrishBelle wrote: »
    Went to Miyazaki, unbelievable food. Very little seating, so not sure it technically qualifies as a restaurant... but it is well worth the trip. Subsequent trips will become known as pilgrimages :D

What did you have? I'd like to try it but wouldn't have a clue what to order.

Last time I was in I asked for a recommendation. The girl was very helpful. They do some specials and when I told her I liked fish I got a rice, pickled veg and sashimi salmon dish in a light sauce. It was really tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's pretty epic alright. It would be packed if it was here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

I had yakiniku don. Like the above poster, i asked for a recommendation. They are super nice in there. Honestly, I often walk down the street by Miyazaki and the smell coming from there is delicious. So i followed my nose, even though I wasn't sure what to order. Go for it, it's superb :)

• Advertisement

I had yakiniku don. Like the above poster, i asked for a recommendation. They are super nice in there. Honestly, I often walk down the street by Miyazaki and the smell coming from there is delicious. So i followed my nose, even though I wasn't sure what to order. Go for it, it's superb :)

Haha, me too! I was going home, wondering what to cook, and couldn't resist going in for a treat while I was passing! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement