Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Had a fry up in farmgate for the first time recently.

Not impressed in the slightest. I loved the tables and the view but the breakfast itself was well below par compared to what you can get around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭sporina

Had lunch at the food depot - gourmet street food truck on the strand in Countmacsherry today - OMG - what a gem - some of the best food i have had in the last 18 mths..
    So inconspicuous.. and understated..
    A hidden treasure.. every mouthful was a culinary delight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cafe Velo yesterday for Brunch. Mini Velo= Rasher/fried egg/hash brown, tea and toast, €8, excellent value, we will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to Gallaghers last weekend and it was absolutely delicious - had battered haddock and chips with salad and tartar sauce. The fish was melt in the mouth and there was loads of it. I really like Gallaghers - don't think I have ever been disappointed there.

Also, not a restaurant but I'm not going to start a thread on it, but I went to Huckleberrys donut place on Saturday and got a nutella donut - omg it was divine....a huge sugar hit! There was a queue out the door! Took a walk over then to the other dount place that just opened on Washington Street, Oh My Donut, and they looked lovely too but didn't buy one. My friend did though, and she said she thinks Huckleberrys are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I tried Huckleberry's donuts but I thought the Nutella one was grossly overfilled and really sickly. But that could just be my taste. I must try the other place sometime.

Anyone got a recommendation for an early bird on a Saturday? Does the Opera House Cafe open that late, or is it just daily?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Speaking of donuts.

Have had both Huckleberrys and Oh My Donut.

I love Huckleberrys donuts there bastutd or what ever is called is fantastic peanut butter in the middle and oreos on top what more can you wont ?. My girlfriend would try what ever new ones they have when ever where over there we rated Huckleberrys quite highly.

But Oh My donut oh my we where disappointed both got the death by chuc donut it was so strange tasting we could not work it out at all. IT tasted like orange chuc not a double chuc what we expected. They went in the bin after 2 bites.

Also if your stuck the donuts in Ali Kation are not to bad i didnt like the villila one same as my girlfriend but we did like there chocolate one that was extremely nice.

But to me Huckleberrys is still the best donuts in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Malari wrote: »
    I tried Huckleberry's donuts but I thought the Nutella one was grossly overfilled and really sickly. But that could just be my taste. I must try the other place sometime.

Anyone got a recommendation for an early bird on a Saturday? Does the Opera House Cafe open that late, or is it just daily?

I get what you mean - there is quite a bit of nutella in it.....but it's fine once in a while! You wouldn't want to be having one every day cos then you'd really feel sick! I did take out a little bit of the filling so maybe they could put less in....but the donut itself was really soft and tasty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Malari wrote: »

I had the early bird in Jacobs On The Mall last Saturday and it was absolutely flawless.

I had a black pudding starter followed by a blackened Chicken bruschetta, which I must say was the most succulent and flavoursome chicken I've ever tasted.

I never get dessert and I really didn't want to this time either as I was so full but I noticed an affogato which I'm partial to and not too heavy.

Herself had Chickpea fritters followed up by an amazing burger that had a beautiful smokey BBQ flavour even though she didn't get any sauces on it and it was still beautifully moist.

She finished up with a chocolate cake sprinkled with whole hazelnuts, it had the texture of a brownie and was mealt in the mouth.

The service was on the ball, perfect timing between courses and couldn't believe it was only €25 for three courses.

They stop serving the early bird at 6:15 which is slightly early but perfect if you're catching a show in the opera house.

Can't wait to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I had the early bird in Jacobs On The Mall last Saturday and it was absolutely flawless.

I had a black pudding starter followed by a blackened Chicken bruschetta, which I must say was the most succulent and flavoursome chicken I've ever tasted.

I never get dessert and I really didn't want to this time either as I was so full but I noticed an affogato which I'm partial to and not too heavy.

Herself had Chickpea fritters followed up by an amazing burger that had a beautiful smokey BBQ flavour even though she didn't get any sauces on it and it was still beautifully moist.

She finished up with a chocolate cake sprinkled with whole hazelnuts, it had the texture of a brownie and was mealt in the mouth.

The service was on the ball, perfect timing between courses and couldn't believe it was only €25 for three courses.

They stop serving the early bird at 6:15 which is slightly early but perfect if you're catching a show in the opera house.

Can't wait to go back.

That sounds amazing! No, the Opera House isn't a problem, the 6 Nations match is! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

limnam wrote: »
    Had a fry up in farmgate for the first time recently.

Not impressed in the slightest. I loved the tables and the view but the breakfast itself was well below par compared to what you can get around the city.

Has anyone tried Nash 19 lately ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

Nice few Cork mentioned ... So must try Pilgrim in Rosscarbery this summer.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/irelands-100-best-restaurants-with-a-tsunami-of-brilliant-new-openings-35465063.html

•L’Atitude 51, Cork City
    •Ballymaloe House, Shanagarry
    •The Black Pig, Kinsale
    •Café Paradiso, Cork City
    •Crawford Gallery Café, Cork City
    •Deasy’s Harbour Bar, Clonakilty
    •Dillon’s Restaurant, Timoloeague
    •Elbow Lane, Cork City
    •Farmgate Café, Cork City
    •Fishy Fishy Café, Kinsale
    •Glebe Gardens, Baltomore
    •Good Things @ Dillon’s Corner, Skibbereen [NEW]
    •Greenes Restaurant, Cork City [NEW]
    •Iyer’s, Cork City
    •Manning’s Emporium, Ballylickey
    •Miyazaki, Cork City
    •Pilgrim’s, Rosscarbery
    •Sage Restaurant, Midleton (pictured)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mumha wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Nash 19 lately ?

Yes, nash19 is a great spot, quick, good food. busy with people working in the city, so no dawdling while you order though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just battled the 40 min queue in Boojum there and I must say it was delicious. I generally find a burrito to be too soggy and boring to finish but this wasn't the case. Real taste of more, maybe a tinge salty but every bite went down and fast!

Absolute streets ahead of anything else in Cork.

I hear its not to the standard of the Dublin stores yet, I cant wait for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rob316 wrote: »
    Just battled the 40 min queue in Boojum there and I must say it was delicious. I generally find a burrito to be too soggy and boring to finish but this wasn't the case. Real taste of more, maybe a tinge salty but every bite went down and fast!

40 minutes?

For a burrito?

Christ, lads.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

40 minutes?

For a burrito?

Christ, lads.

I know but I'm a foodie and I had to see the hype, it was more like 30 mins if that is any better and the queue was even bigger as I was leaving.

40 minutes?

For a burrito?

Christ, lads.

I know but I'm a foodie and I had to see the hype, it was more like 30 mins if that is any better and the queue was even bigger as I was leaving.

Yah a burrito 40 min wait not a hope. ITs only a burrito after all its not going to be the worlds best meal. I was going to head in the other day when i was in town seen a huge line i was like nope i will go somewhere else as after all its a burrito !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if you want a tasty burrito try Gally's Kitchen stall at the Wilton Farmer's Market on a Tuesday afternoon, really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Speaking of burritos, the new Mexican place, Zambrero, by Ramen in Dennehy's Cross opened today. I haven't been in yet but passed in the car about half an hour ago and no big queue outside. 2 for the price of 1 all day, I believe. Might try and nip in for a burrito later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Tomorrow is Fat Thursday. Its like the Polish version of Pancake Tuesday when they eat the most delicious filled doughnuts. The kids at a school I worked at last year told me about it. Does anyone know where you can get Polish doughnuts in Cork? I'd love to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Speaking of burritos, the new Mexican place, Zambrero, by Ramen in Dennehy's Cross opened today. I haven't been in yet but passed in the car about half an hour ago and no big queue outside. 2 for the price of 1 all day, I believe. Might try and nip in for a burrito later.

Passed at half 5 with a queue out the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

happyday wrote: »
    Tomorrow is Fat Thursday. Its like the Polish version of Pancake Tuesday when they eat the most delicious filled doughnuts. The kids at a school I worked at last year told me about it. Does anyone know where you can get Polish doughnuts in Cork? I'd love to try them.

New doughnut place opened on washington street - maybe give them a go? Wasn't blown away by their display but could be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Popped into Cask, it's a lovely spot. They share the courtyard with greene's, the one with the waterfall.

Menu is quite fancy... chicken lollipops, confit duck, that kind of thing. Looked interesting. I didn't eat there, just had time for a drink, but will be back. Staff were very welcoming, and they have a ridiculously well stocked bar. My buddy is a gin fan, and was impressed at the two full shelves of various gins.

pwurple wrote: »
    Popped into Cask, it's a lovely spot. They share the courtyard with greene's, the one with the waterfall.

Menu is quite fancy... chicken lollipops, confit duck, that kind of thing. Looked interesting. I didn't eat there, just had time for a drink, but will be back. Staff were very welcoming, and they have a ridiculously well stocked bar. My buddy is a gin fan, and was impressed at the two full shelves of various gins.

Cork needs a few well-stocked, high-end bars tbf, so a welcome addition.

Is it a craft cocktail menu (a la the new Fran Well bar, Pigalle, etc) or just your standard range of drinks (albeit with a bigger selection!)

Their Facebook page just says "new menu every 8 weeks" which is great, but I'd like to know what's on it now...

pwurple wrote: »

Cork needs a few well-stocked, high-end bars tbf, so a welcome addition.

Is it a craft cocktail menu (a la the new Fran Well bar, Pigalle, etc) or just your standard range of drinks (albeit with a bigger selection!)

Their Facebook page just says "new menu every 8 weeks" which is great, but I'd like to know what's on it now...

Your giving me ideas now for Saturday night where to head :P. I didnt know they opened a cocktail bar in the fran well ?. Sounds extremely interesting.

Your giving me ideas now for Saturday night where to head :P. I didnt know they opened a cocktail bar in the fran well ?. Sounds extremely interesting.

They have indeed! Called the 'Stave and Chime'.

Upstairs in that little room that often used host demos, etc when they had festivals.

It's a decent spot and some interesting 'crafttails' (their word, not mine!!) that top off a gin or whiskey with some of their beers or different flavours.

http://staveandchime.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/StaveandChime/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Went to The Fish Wife on The Grand Parade for the 1st time today and would give it a mixed review. Had the Workman's Lunch for €6 which was great value for a decent piece of battered haddock, chips and mushy peppered peas. First the good news: the fish was absolutely excellent! Decent portion, lightly battered and cooked to perfection. Crispy batter, flakey fresh fish, delicious!

Unfortunately, the rest of the meal wasn't as good. The chips were over-cooked and the peas too peppery. I would have just preferred ordinary mushy peas that I could season myself. Also, the place was bloody freezing, apparently by design, because there were 2 windows open. I don't know why they do this but it would put me off returning.

Overall, I thought it was excellent value and the fish was delicious but certainly some things they can improve upon too.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Went to The Fish Wife on The Grand Parade for the 1st time today and would give it a mixed review. Had the Workman's Lunch for €6 which was great value for a decent piece of battered haddock, chips and mushy peppered peas. First the good news: the fish was absolutely excellent! Decent portion, lightly battered and cooked to perfection. Crispy batter, flakey fresh fish, delicious!

Unfortunately, the rest of the meal wasn't as good. The chips were over-cooked and the peas too peppery. I would have just preferred ordinary mushy peas that I could season myself. Also, the place was bloody freezing, apparently by design, because there were 2 windows open. I don't know why they do this but it would put me off returning.

Overall, I thought it was excellent value and the fish was delicious but certainly some things they can improve upon too.

I would Agree with you about the fish wife on the grand prade its no where as good as there other chipper. The food is very very poor me and my girlfriend found when we where in there for lunch before xmess we have not been back since. The chips are not fresh chips there a freeze chilled there called ready cooked ones you trow back in the pan and they cook really fast. They are just tasteless and bland. While the chips and curry are loving in the other take away where they use fresh chips extremely confused why they cant do it in both.

But still the best chipper i find in cork is tasty snacks there brest in a bun is to die for as they make it fresh you might have to wait a while for your food but its worth it as everything is so fresh and nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Where is Tasty Snacks located?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Colser wrote: »
    Where is Tasty Snacks located?

I think it's in Fairhill. Never been but heard great things about it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement