Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to post this, I think in previous years our u21 games were sandwiched between senior fixtures and also the fact that our lads were coming into those games on a low. Beating Cork last week on the back of a fantastic league campaign will surely count for something on Weds.
    It seems in previous years we had serious teams also but not so much the form with it bar a player here and there. Weds will be interesting, would be great to keep the momentum going. Will wlr be doing the game live?

I doubt WLR will do it - they only really do finals at underage grades - but if you try the Cork radio station they might have it - I am not 100% but it might be 103fm

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I doubt WLR will do it - they only really do finals at underage grades - but if you try the Cork radio station they might have it - I am not 100% but it might be 103fm

It's on TG4, I will have to refresh on the old Gaeilge...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to post this, I think in previous years our u21 games were sandwiched between senior fixtures and also the fact that our lads were coming into those games on a low. Beating Cork last week on the back of a fantastic league campaign will surely count for something on Weds.
    It seems in previous years we had serious teams also but not so much the form with it bar a player here and there. Weds will be interesting, would be great to keep the momentum going. Will wlr be doing the game live?
    If you're in Sydney, watch it on tg4 player and download Hola, set the location to Ireland and you'll get the game no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

The starting 15 I would pick for Wednesday nights game with cork would be:
    1 Nolan
    2 Conor Gleeson
    3 K Bennet
    4 S McNulty
    5 Harney
    6 De Burca
    7 Aussie
    8 Cathal Curran
    9 T Devine
    10 Shane Bennet
    11 R Donnelly
    12 C Dunford
    13 P Curran
    14 Stephen Bennet
    15 M Kearney

Think that is our strongest starting 15 with the replacements to bring on in Power, Phelan, O'Sullivan, Curran

The starting 15 I would pick for Wednesday nights game with cork would be:
    1 Nolan
    2 Conor Gleeson
    3 K Bennet
    4 S McNulty
    5 Harney
    6 De Burca
    7 Aussie
    8 Cathal Curran
    9 T Devine
    10 Shane Bennet
    11 R Donnelly
    12 C Dunford
    13 P Curran
    14 Stephen Bennet
    15 M Kearney

Think that is our strongest starting 15 with the replacements to bring on in Power, Phelan, O'Sullivan, Curran
    I agree with your backline but Cathal Curran isn't good enough imo, I've seen him plenty of times for Dungarvan and I'd much prefer Mark O'Brien or Colin Dunford there. I'd pick DJ Foran ahead of Ryan Donnelly too for ball winning ability and also due to the fact Dono hasn't seen much game time yet this year. I'd prefer to have him as an impact sub at the moment, and then you have Cormac Curran, Darragh Lyons, Kieran Power, Colm Roche and Brendan Phelan

• Advertisement

Waterford U21 Team to play Cork on Wednesday night at 7.30pm in Pairc Ui Rinn.
    Best of luck lads
    1 Billy Nolan Roanmore
    2 Shane Mc Nulty De La Salle
    3 Kieran Bennett Ballysaggart
    4 Conor Gleeson Fourmilewater
    5 Michéal Harney Bonmahon
    6 Tadhg De Búrca Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    7 Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    8 Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    9 Tom Devine Modeligo
    10 Colin Dunford Colligan
    11 Stephen Bennett Ballysaggart
    12 D.J. Foran Portlaw
    13 Ryan Donnelly Dungarvan
    14 Cormac Curran Brickey Rangers
    15 Patrick Curran Dungarvan

Michael Kearney is the surprise absentee

Colin Dunford to swap with Aussie. Shane Bennett to stay wing back??

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Colin Dunford to swap with Aussie. Shane Bennett to stay wing back??

He's played all his underage hurling for the county in defence. We have an embarrassment of riches in attack anyway

He's played all his underage hurling for the county in defence. We have an embarrassment of riches in attack anyway
    Played last year in the forward line for the minors, but yeah we have so much attacking talent it's ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Played last year in the forward line for the minors, but yeah we have so much attacking talent it's ridiculous

You are right. Was thinking of him corner back in 2012 and wing back on the all Ireland team of 2013
    He is a better forward but will give the half back line real impetus going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Went back center back in the second half v Kilkenny and was immense. Could put him anywhere really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

For all our embarrassment of riches I think the full back line isn't great

For all our embarrassment of riches I think the full back line isn't great
    Shane Mc is on the Senior panel with 2 years so he must be doing something right. Was talking to a few lads and they said Kieran Bennett is flying by all accounts, haven't seen Conor Gleeson since last years minor but the lad is a class act

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Waterford U21 Team to play Cork on Wednesday night at 7.30pm in Pairc Ui Rinn.
    Best of luck lads
    1 Billy Nolan Roanmore
    2 Shane Mc Nulty De La Salle
    3 Kieran Bennett Ballysaggart
    4 Conor Gleeson Fourmilewater
    5 Michéal Harney Bonmahon
    6 Tadhg De Búrca Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    7 Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    8 Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    9 Tom Devine Modeligo
    10 Colin Dunford Colligan
    11 Stephen Bennett Ballysaggart
    12 D.J. Foran Portlaw
    13 Ryan Donnelly Dungarvan
    14 Cormac Curran Brickey Rangers
    15 Patrick Curran Dungarvan

I would expect a number of positional changes to the team named. One change in personnel also possibly.
    Think Aussie and Shane Bennett will both be in half forwards with Donnelly. Stephen Bennett surely be inside for goal threat. Dunford midfield. Can't see both Foran and Cormac Curran starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I would expect a number of positional changes to the team named. One change in personnel also possibly.
    Think Aussie and Shane Bennett will both be in half forwards with Donnelly. Stephen Bennett surely be inside for goal threat. Dunford midfield. Can't see both Foran and Cormac Curran starting.

Darragh Lyons will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Shane Mc is on the Senior panel with 2 years so he must be doing something right. Was talking to a few lads and they said Kieran Bennett is flying by all accounts, haven't seen Conor Gleeson since last years minor but the lad is a class act

Not doubting them as individuals but none of the 3 would be naturally at home in the full back line. Kieran Bennett probably out of the 3 would have played there the most in his career. think its a quality team but the full backline would be the one line on the pitch with a few question marks over it for me.

archieknox wrote: »
    Darragh Lyons will start.

In place of Cormac Curran I would imagine with the reshuffle seeing him move out to midfield. Devine back to wing back I would think!
    That puts DJ Foran in the inside line. His biggest asset would be his ball winning so find that a little odd.

Bench of Mark O'Brien, Michael Kearney, Cormac Curran, Cathal Curran, Brendan Phelan possibly.

Anyone have full list of subs?

In place of Cormac Curran I would imagine with the reshuffle seeing him move out to midfield. Devine back to wing back I would think!
    That puts DJ Foran in the inside line. His biggest asset would be his ball winning so find that a little odd.

Bench of Mark O'Brien, Michael Kearney, Cormac Curran, Cathal Curran, Brendan Phelan possibly.

You'll have Jason Roche, Jack Mullaney, Colm Roche, Kieran Power to add to that

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

I would drop Foran instead of Curran , Curran is big strong and likes to get stuck in and if we keep him on edge of square and pump ball into him I think it could pay dividends, I'd bring Kearney in for foran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

I would drop Foran instead of Curran , Curran is big strong and likes to get stuck in and if we keep him on edge of square and pump ball into him I think it could pay dividends, I'd bring Kearney in for foran
    The Cork team is one of the poorest in years. No excuses for not beating the Rebels

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I think the U21 management will go with the positions the players are more used to playing. Colin Dunford to midfield, Tom Devine to centre forward, Stephan Bennett to full forward and Cormac Curran to wing forward. Having said that though i would imagine that the likes of Cormac Curran will be in full forward at some stages during the game. I think the players named in the starting 15 will all start too. Its a big physical team with alot of ball winners in the air and a nice blend of pace from Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran and Colin Dunford. Our record is very poor recently at this grade but if this team can play anywhere near their potential they should have enough to get the win. Good luck to the under 21 team on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Lads if you aren't beating that Cork team a point a man at least I don't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Orizio wrote: »
    Lads if you aren't beating that Cork team a point a man at least I don't know what to say.

Now I know you're making that statement on the Waterford site for alternative reasons but to be brutally honest we should be winning this game tomorrow night. Its the poorest Cork team for years,one that might be well organised and will play with a sweeper system but with the abundance of talent at our disposal I can't see us being beaten. Spillane at full forward will probably cause a few problems but with Cork using a 2 man inside line id expect Tadgh to cover in front and negate that threat. Expect young Lyons to start midfield with Aussie and Shane Bennett moving to the half forward line with Dono leaving Harney and McNulty in the halfback line. Our forwards I believe will create havoc,5 of the 6 of them have played senior championship for Waterford so I'm expecting us to get over the line comfortably here but face a more difficult task against Clare in 3 weeks time. I will be accused of arrogance here but when you see the array of talent both starting and on the bench,all fully fit,then surely we're looking at causing more than a few ripples in the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm not really making it for alternative reasons, that's a shockingly poor U-21 team and there is no point sugar coating just how poor we have a fallen at underage. It should be said we are missing 7-8 starters on top of everything else. Surely the youngest Cork team we've ever put out at U-21.

Also I'd like to see Waterford win the U-21. Better than Tipp/KK/Galway.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, as good and all as the 2013 minor team was they actually lost twice in championship and at U21 level wouldn't have made it past the first day.
    U21 is a totally different animal being knockout - Cork have an advantage in that they have trained and lined out in matches multiple times in their preferred positions and gameplan - Waterford on the other hand will probably be lining out like this for the first time ever - with our heavy involvement in seniors our preparation cannot compare to Corks..
    Look we have a good team - and they would want to be to win in Pairc Uí Rinn - this will be a hard won game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Very surprised with those questioning DJ Foran's selection when any reports I've seen of the man he has played brilliantly for UCC in the Cork championship

thesultan wrote: »
    Very surprised with those questioning DJ Foran's selection when any reports I've seen of the man he has played brilliantly for UCC in the Cork championship

I wouldn't be questioning his selection but more so his positioning. Think he should be out half forward for ball winning ability. He could well spend some time out there. Would be in favour of putting Donnelly inside and DJ out to half line personally. DJ has done some damage for UCC from full forward but I think that is also Stephen Bennetts best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If Derek McGrath is to be believed, we need to ditch this defeatist mentality if we are to prosper. Waterford by 7.

Of course, I don't believe that you can win games just by willing it. Cork will be hungry, prepared, have home advantage, and history on their side. Let's give it a lash and see what happens.

• Advertisement

For Cork U21s this is the biggest game of the year - their sole focus as a group.

For Waterford a lot of our guys are thinking of July 12th - we run the risk of not having the same hunger...

Cork going into this ideally, playing the poor mouth, but salivating at the prospect of an ambush

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement