Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

archieknox wrote: »
    I would go with Seanie Barry in goal, jack Mullaney instead of McNulty and Kieran Power instead of Harney. Serious team on paper as you said but how often have we thought that. Our record at this grade is poor recently and add to that we have to go to Cork where our record at underage is terrible so I won't get carried away just yet. Brown and Mullane will definitely bring alot to the thing so hopefully we get the right result but it will be far from easy.
    I don't think there's too much difference between Seanie and Billy at the moment, both are top class keepers. I reckon Mcnulty will get in ahead of Jack Mullaney due to the fact the made the 26 for the Seniors last Sunday, so he must be training well even though I think there are better lads than him, Again between Kieran Power and Harney, delighted to see Power hurling well again he went off the radar a bit last year, but I'd go for Harney to be honest, I've watched the lad since his harty cup days, some man to catch the ball, serious work ethic, he'll give you everything, if he speeded up his hurling a little he'll make the senior panel no bother. The full back line is difficult to choose, I reckon Darragh Lyons will be close to the starting 15, you'll have him competing with Conor Gleeson, Kieran Bennett, Colm Roche, Shane Mcnulty and Jack Mullaney for a starting spot. For the #15 spot I think it's between Mikey Kearney and Ryan Donnelly, 2 class forwards but I'd say they'll go for Mikey Kearney again because he made the Senior panel last Sunday, nothing between the 2 lads but because of Dono's fitness I'd say they'll be using him as an impact sub, not a bad sub to have really! My team is lining out like this :

Billy Nolan
    Shane Mcnulty, Kieran Bennett, Darragh Lyons
    Aussie, Tadhg, Harney
    Colin Dunford, Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran, Tom Devine, Shane Bennett
    Paddy Curran, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney

That team is impressive but when you look at the bench it's even more impressive.. Seanie Barry, Conor Gleeson, Jack Mullaney, Colm Roche, Kieran Power, Jason Roche, Cormac Curran, Cathal Curran, Barry O'Sullivan, Brendan Phelan (some man to catch a ball) Ryan Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Is it a commitment issue? Is he happy starring with the club and not going the extra bit for the county?

Pretty much. Some lads say he wasn't happy with how he was treated at Minor level by his manager but that is just a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Orizio wrote: »
    No interest in playing inter-county hurling.

Seems flying it for Ballyhea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Orizio wrote: »
    Pretty much. Some lads say he wasn't happy with how he was treated at Minor level by his manager but that is just a rumour.

Ya that wouldn't make much sense seeing as that minor manager won't be in charge of him again, he can hardly hold that against the county... It's probably just a convenient excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Anbody know who stocks Waterford Hurling Flags and those car window flags in Waterford City? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

decies wrote: »
    Anbody know who stocks Waterford Hurling Flags and those car window flags in Waterford City? Thanks

i saw them in heatons

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I don't think there's too much difference between Seanie and Billy at the moment, both are top class keepers. I reckon Mcnulty will get in ahead of Jack Mullaney due to the fact the made the 26 for the Seniors last Sunday, so he must be training well even though I think there are better lads than him, Again between Kieran Power and Harney, delighted to see Power hurling well again he went off the radar a bit last year, but I'd go for Harney to be honest, I've watched the lad since his harty cup days, some man to catch the ball, serious work ethic, he'll give you everything, if he speeded up his hurling a little he'll make the senior panel no bother. The full back line is difficult to choose, I reckon Darragh Lyons will be close to the starting 15, you'll have him competing with Conor Gleeson, Kieran Bennett, Colm Roche, Shane Mcnulty and Jack Mullaney for a starting spot. For the #15 spot I think it's between Mikey Kearney and Ryan Donnelly, 2 class forwards but I'd say they'll go for Mikey Kearney again because he made the Senior panel last Sunday, nothing between the 2 lads but because of Dono's fitness I'd say they'll be using him as an impact sub, not a bad sub to have really! My team is lining out like this :

Billy Nolan
    Shane Mcnulty, Kieran Bennett, Darragh Lyons
    Aussie, Tadhg, Harney
    Colin Dunford, Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran, Tom Devine, Shane Bennett
    Paddy Curran, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney

That team is impressive but when you look at the bench it's even more impressive.. Seanie Barry, Conor Gleeson, Jack Mullaney, Colm Roche, Kieran Power, Jason Roche, Cormac Curran, Cathal Curran, Barry O'Sullivan, Brendan Phelan (some man to catch a ball) Ryan Donnelly

You're team is close to how I imagine they will line out. However, I believe Micheal Harney sustained a possible broken collarbone in that challenge game against Tipp so is unlikely to feature. I would imagine Conor Gleeson will see action at corner back, possibly in place of Darragh Lyons. Cathal Curran has played most of the challenge games, with and without the senior players, at midfield so I would say he will be starting and Mark O'Brien may lose out. Kearney / Donnelly is hard to call, Donnelly has been playing in the challenge games of late so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start, although it is hard to imagine he is up to full speed yet.

That would leave it looking along these lines:
    B. Nolan
    C. Gleeson K.Bennett S. McNulty
    K.Power T. de Burca A. Gleeson
    Cathal Curran & C. Dunford
    DJ Foran T. Devine Shane Bennett
    P. Curran Stephen Bennett R. Donnelly

Could see Devine midfield with Dunford centre possibly. Donnelly has played some challenges at centre forward so maybe they fancy him for that role. Personally would prefer to see M. O'Brien and Kearney involved, maybe even D. Lyons. That does leave some serious options on the bench however, which has been a feature of the senior performances lately.
    Will be interesting to see if they try to implement the same style that the seniors are playing given so many are involved in the panel and the success it has brought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Waterford u21 have played Cork 18 times. Cork have won 16 of those with 1 draw and only 1 Waterford win in 1992. Throw into that equation that Waterford have never won down there in Cork only goes to show the magnitude of the task next Wednesday.

As I have said in a previous post this will be an almighty examination. Cork have had their team together since late October in the gym and also training since week one in November. They have been impressing everybody in their challenge games apparently so they will be favourites with the home crowd yet another advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Does Seamus Keating hurl anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Lads billy nolan is still only 16. Minor again next year. Madness starting him for u21s. Surely Barry will be the keeper?

• Advertisement

Lads billy nolan is still only 16. Minor again next year. Madness starting him for u21s. Surely Barry will be the keeper?
    Sure he's playing Senior for Roanmore..

I would go with Billy Nolan - he is the best U21 Goalie in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

I would go with Billy Nolan - he is the best U21 Goalie in the county

As would I. Cork have picked Patrick Collins since he has been u17 for their u21 team. Best player goes in goals

As would I. Cork have picked Patrick Collins since he has been u17 for their u21 team. Best player goes in goals

Ya look if they are good enough they are old enough - some times a player comes along and it is obvious that they are something special. It looks like Billy Nolan is one of those players - he is an excellent shot stopper, quick off his line, excellent puck out, strong in the air - he does not appear affected by mistakes either I would have no trouble in throwing him in.
    I would say he is the Senior keeper in waiting only he is so good out the field he will ultimately end up playing out there I'd say.

Look it is a good position to be in to have Barry in reserve - but Nolan should definitely get the nod for me

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Just catching up on all the comments since the last game. One of the things that caught my attention are the comments about the small waterford support. Personally I thought there was great waterford support the last day and every one was full of passion and excitement. I haven`t been surrounded by such enthusiastic fellow deise supporters in a long time and it`s great to see the buzz back about the team again! We were always going to be outnumbered by Cork supporters due to the population difference but personally I think we were the loudest of the two! With the goal threat back it`s such an exciting and skillful team to watch and it has such an effect on the supporters as a whole! Sorry for digging up old conversations and going off the current topic but I haven`t been on this in weeks. In the interest of making it relevant though.. I would also have Billy Nolan in goal for the match next week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

Deise189 wrote: »
    Just catching up on all the comments since the last game. One of the things that caught my attention are the comments about the small waterford support. Personally I thought there was great waterford support the last day and every one was full of passion and excitement. I haven`t been surrounded by such enthusiastic fellow deise supporters in a long time and it`s great to see the buzz back about the team again! We were always going to be outnumbered by Cork supporters due to the population difference but personally I think we were the loudest of the two! With the goal threat back it`s such an exciting and skillful team to watch and it has such an effect on the supporters as a whole! Sorry for digging up old conversations and going off the current topic but I haven`t been on this in weeks. In the interest of making it relevant though.. I would also have Billy Nolan in goal for the match next week :P

In always puzzled why the country board the supporters clubs the clubs don't organise buses . sat we could have 2 buses from Dublin Alone

I know I've or two clubs do but there no concerted effort

• Registered Users Posts: 39,525 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deise189 wrote: »

Yes the support that was there was enthusiastic, loud and really got behind the team. The numbers though were lacking, even more so considering the team were league champs. Anyway no doubt a much bigger number at the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Personally I think support was a lot more than people think. Supporters of Cork predominately wear red and this is very vibrant and visible. We on the other hand wear a mix of white and blue not so visible. I met a lot of lads before during and after game who has not been at games for a long time. Cork always dominate terrace but over all I feel we had at least 40% of support . Roll on Munster final

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Noticed one outstanding coaching feature last sunday in the way the players tackled the cork player in possession without committing the all to common foul. The waterford player slowed the opponent down with his arm without holding on to him in any way. It was plain to be seen that it was practiced as all the wford players were doing it. It doesnt stop the opponent fully but you cannot really do that anyway without fouling. Great coaching and attention to detail.

Onto the U21 next week, this grade seems to always result in disapointment for Waterford, espeically when they have a high numbers of 21's on the senior panel - maybe it is because it is not the best players primary focus - or because half of the panel dont even see each other never mind play or plan together for any significant time before the game.

I know we have been saying this for the last few years as well - but on paper we have a ridiculously good team,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Onto the U21 next week, this grade seems to always result in disapointment for Waterford, espeically when they have a high numbers of 21's on the senior panel - maybe it is because it is not the best players primary focus - or because half of the panel dont even see each other never mind play or plan together for any significant time before the game.

I know we have been saying this for the last few years as well - but on paper we have a ridiculously good team,

The Cork U21 team play the same style as our seniors do very defensive it should be interesting to see how we cope playing against our own tactics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You might see Austin Gleeson up front on Wednesday.

You might see Austin Gleeson up front on Wednesday.
    You know the possible 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    You know the possible 15?

Wouldn't know the 15 per say just heard he played up front recently. Devine may be in the backs. Could see something like:

1. Nolan
    2. Kieran Bennett
    3. McNulty
    4. Conor Gleeson/Jason Roche
    5. Devine
    6. Bourke
    7. Kieran Power
    8. Dunford
    9. Mark O Brien
    10. Shane Bennett
    11. Austin Gleeson
    12. DJ Foran
    13. Patrick Curran
    14. Stephen Bennett
    15. Mikey Kearney

Darragh Lyons wont start but might feature, you'd imagine Cormac Curran will see game time too. Would be starting Harney over Power myself as I am a big big fan but Id imagine Power will start.

Its some team and Cork might be at home but Id be expecting this side to go down and win by a few points. I understand everyone's caution, still cant really credit what happened last year but there were lots of issues like an unfit Jamie Barron, Jake Dillon and Stephen Bennett and bad morale.

One major difference between this year and other years is the game has fallen nicely, over 4 weeks from the Munster final. There's 13 of those lads on the Senior team so they've plenty of experience playing with each other. In other years its been disjointed, last year it was only 4 days before the Wexford game, similar situation a couple of years ago v Tipp in Thurles. Morale is high, and I think they've been really well prepared by the best setup there has been in place at u21 in my time watching Waterford.

Hard draw in one sense with the away games Id be expecting both Tipp and Limerick to be stronger than Clare and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick or Tipp who do u want in the final ??

id perfer Limerick as it will be in Thurles and we have a good record over them

I can also see wexford beating Kilkenny next weekend. Laois could beat Galway too but i think Galway will have too much firepower

Imagine the Qualifers having both Kilkenny and Tipp (similar to 2013)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Id probably take Limerick as they seem a little bit behind Tipp at the moment and we seem to do better against them in big championship games. I think Wexford could put it to Kilkenny but wont beat them in Nowlan Park, and i id expect Galway to give laois a nice beating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Id probably take Limerick as they seem a little bit behind Tipp at the moment and we seem to do better against them in big championship games. I think Wexford could put it to Kilkenny but wont beat them in Nowlan Park, and i id expect Galway to give laois a nice beating
    A physically strong Limerick team would be a huge test for them.....as they are a massive step up from cork

Though being honest....I'd love to see them knock a team better ranked than us out of the championship...as it's been years since we've done that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

A physically strong Limerick team would be a huge test for them.....as they are a massive step up from cork

Though being honest....I'd love to see them knock a team better ranked than us out of the championship...as it's been years since we've done that

I honestly don’t care which of them it is. It will be a different proposition to what we met in the league from both sides that’s for sure. I think Limerick will need to show a massive hunger to overcome Tipp for the 3rd year in a row and if they were to come through it will be a serious test for our lads. They could be the first team we meet that will really match us for intensity. Tipp I’m not overly convinced about. Many peoples favourites for the All Ireland yet form-wise they haven’t shown anything to back that up. I think it’s a strange situation in Tipp whereby Eamonn O’Shea is stepping down at the end of the year and they already have his successor, Michael Ryan, in place for next year. I havent seen something like that before at intercounty level and its hard to know what the mindset in the camp would be. Next weekend will tell us a lot more for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Picasso100

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Limerick or Tipp who do u want in the final ??

id perfer Limerick as it will be in Thurles and we have a good record over them

I can also see wexford beating Kilkenny next weekend. Laois could beat Galway too but i think Galway will have too much firepower

Imagine the Qualifers having both Kilkenny and Tipp (similar to 2013)

Tipp by 5. Kilkenny by 8. Galway by 10.
    I d love to see the reverse but it just won't happen.
    Would much rather limerick in Munster final but really fancy Tipp.

As for the U21s, on paper they have to win and I believe they will. All these lads are pretty used to playing with each other which will make it very differant to other years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Its some team and Cork might be at home but Id be expecting this side to go down and win by a few points. I understand everyone's caution, still cant really credit what happened last year but there were lots of issues like an unfit Jamie Barron, Jake Dillon and Stephen Bennett and bad morale.

One major difference between this year and other years is the game has fallen nicely, over 4 weeks from the Munster final. There's 13 of those lads on the Senior team so they've plenty of experience playing with each other. In other years its been disjointed, last year it was only 4 days before the Wexford game, similar situation a couple of years ago v Tipp in Thurles. Morale is high, and I think they've been really well prepared by the best setup there has been in place at u21 in my time watching Waterford.

Yeah I was going to post this, I think in previous years our u21 games were sandwiched between senior fixtures and also the fact that our lads were coming into those games on a low. Beating Cork last week on the back of a fantastic league campaign will surely count for something on Weds.
    It seems in previous years we had serious teams also but not so much the form with it bar a player here and there. Weds will be interesting, would be great to keep the momentum going. Will wlr be doing the game live?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement