Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Ninja Assassin - Mindless action fun. Provided you don't take it too seriously, or seriously at all, its a good no brainer action flick. The CG blood is very annoying though. But ninjas are cool so it balances out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Heat the other night...............man, that film oozes cool!

Pacino and DeNiro in the coffee shop is like 2 Gods exchanging words before their epic battle!

Only problem with the film was I watched it on an average TV in someone else's house............I wanted to watch the bank scene on my TV with my surround sound, bah!! :mad:

Actually, you could see many references Chris Nolan took for The Dark Knight (The obvious Bank scene homage, vast shots of the actors, camera sweeping over the city to the only sound of an elevating score)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

TBH thought the scene between Pacino and De Niro was a bit disappointing. But a great movie. Michael Mann one of the great movie directors of our time. Did a great job on Public enemies too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

REC 2

Have to say, I was really disappointed with this. The Original was great. One of the best horror films in years. But the producers decided to take the wrong route with the sequel.
    The demonic possession angle was REALLY a step in the wrong direction. It should have just stuck to the viral infection story of the first film. Also, bring back the lead actress from the first film was a really bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Dog Day Afternoon
    A 70's epic with Pacino in excellent form..
    Good mix of comedy and drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Sunday night I watched 'Up', which is just lovely. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it was much more layered than you tend to expect from an animated film. I'm recommending it to anyone who will listen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I saw Kick-Ass. It was indeed Kick Ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

NoDrama wrote: »
    The Secret in their Eyes.
    Wow, amazing, powerful and beautiful movie.

in the middle of htis movie now after seeing reccomendations in this thread.. can anyone tell me who the actress is who plays the
    murder victim at the start of the movie? imdb lists this as her first movie, and i've tried googling but there's nothing that could be useable as a wallpaper.. a chick that hot has to have photo shoots somewhere, surely. preferably ones where she isn't a corpse covered in blood, if that isn't too much trouble

-edit

that movie was disgracefully fantastic. It's a bit late now, but I'm definitely watching that again tomorrow. If I'd realised just how amazing it was going to be I'd have bought a bottle of wine yesterday to have while I watched it again. I'm worried now that I'm probably never going to see another movie as good as it :/ My movie watching has peaked, it's all downhill from here.

--edit

I just realised, I don't think I've ever actually sat and watched the credits roll after a movie ended until tonight, just didn't want it to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

i love you man , pretty crap i thought considering the good reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Great documentary, amazing story of adventure, strength and survival, very well filmed too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

I watched The Crying Game recently, for the first time. I always wondered what all the fuss was about. My God, it looks incredibly dated. The acting is terrible at times too. Forest Whittaker's English accent is appalling. I would have thought it was one of the easier accents to pull off.

And could someone tell me:
    At the time, were people actually surprised to find out she had a penis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

2040 wrote: »
    Forest Whittaker's English accent is appalling. I would have thought it was one of the easier accents to pull off.

it depends, there are many different english accents and some are probably harder to pull off than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

indough wrote: »
    it depends, there are many different english accents and some are probably harder to pull off than others

Well, Whittaker's accent didn't sound like any of them. I think he's a great actor btw. I'm sure he'd be better at the accent now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

2040 wrote: »
    I watched The Crying Game recently, for the first time. I always wondered what all the fuss was about. My God, it looks incredibly dated. The acting is terrible at times too. Forest Whittaker's English accent is appalling. I would have thought it was one of the easier accents to pull off.

And could someone tell me:
    At the time, were people actually surprised to find out she had a penis?

As a 10 year old boy seeing it for the first time in the cinema... Yes I bloody well was!:eek:

/scarred for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Death Sentence. Kevin Bacon going completely awol. It was great, much better than expected and I had heard good things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D this evening and it was very impressive, the special effects, scenery and general plot were all good. A very good movie, especially for those interested in History and has a fantasy and epic battle theme to it also.

my withnail and I blu ray arrived earlier today and it's just ending :) ****ing fantastic movie
    looks and sounds damned fine in HD too, this one is going to be many's a rewatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Shryke wrote: »
    Death Sentence. Kevin Bacon going completely awol. It was great, much better than expected and I had heard good things.
    :) great action film, liked him in 'hollow man' as well, second was crap though...can not stand christian salter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

irishh_bob wrote: »
    Slapping da bass man. I loved it lol.

Watched crazy on the outside a few days ago. It was ok. Usual story of someone getting out of prison bla bla bla.
    Watched boondock saints 2 earlier on. must say, I actually enjoyed it. Wasnt great or anything but ticked all the boxes for me. Few funny parts in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Got to see "Clash of The Titans" today. Good movie, but i don't know if it was me or the movie, it was good, but not "memorable" if that makes sense. I definitely enjoyed it, but it seemed "rushed" or something i can't quite put my finger on.

Anywho, worth a watch. Great visuals and surprisingly not CGI-ed to death, which was nice.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

2012 - What the fúck was Emmerich thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Men Who Stare at Goats - I really enjoyed this, in fact I loved it. After all the negative reviews I was expecting a mediocre comedy but found a rewarding film with some superb performances.

Thought Ewan McGregor was shown up a lot though. He was annoying toward the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Zombieland and I thoroughly enjoyed it,was great fun.
    Plus the cameo from Murray was just outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

It was better than I expected. Thought it would be some kind of 40-Year-Old Virgin variation of The Cable Guy.

Comedies really need to start getting endings that aren't clichéd. I was surprised when I saw The Break-Up and
    the couple actually stayed apart at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Cirque Du Freak: The Vampires Assistant - Pretty much what I expected. Nothing special.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D this evening and it was very impressive, the special effects, scenery and general plot were all good. A very good movie, especially for those interested in History and has a fantasy and epic battle theme to it also.

Haven't seen it yet, but isn't it all based on mythology, not history?
    Looking forward to seeing it after God of War III reignited my love for Greek mythology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

2012 - What the fúck was Emmerich thinking?

when has that guy ever made a good movie

stargate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

tman wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet, but isn't it all based on mythology, not history?
    Looking forward to seeing it after God of War III reignited my love for Greek mythology

Yes it is based on Mythology but because of this it gives an insight into ancient Greece historically with the sets etc. There are scenes which reminded me of the siege of Minas Tirith in LOTR3 and of lord Voldemort in Harry Potter (Ralph Fiennes) who portrays Hades in the film was also lord Voldemort.

Good Film and not overlly adorned with 3D either as 3D was more a last minute decision than the plan from the outset, it only cost $70million to make and filming commenced less than a year ago. The backdrops portrayed in the film are stunning though.

stargate?

The Patriot wasn't too bad, either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

Poseidon - Time filler
    Shutter Island - Atmospheric but underwhelming
    Legion - Tripe
    Kick Ass - Awesome!!!!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yes it is based on Mythology but because of this it gives an insight into ancient Greece historically with the sets etc.

Sitill not too sure I agree with that tbh, I doubt they went out of their way to be historically accurate for a fantasy film... Can't exactly see it ever being used in history class as an example of life in pre-Christian Greece

Anyway, I'm dragging this waaaaay off topic;

Last night I watched Bladerunner (Final cut)
    A truely timeless film, and definitely up there with Oldboy as one of my doubtless favourites. It scrubbed up nicely for HD as well!
    About the only part that took away from my enjoyment and broke the immersion was the blatently 80s hair of some of the female characters.

After that I felt like a bit of braindead entertainment, so finally got around to watching Blade Trinity... Really wish I hadn't now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

clash of the titans, saw it 3D save your money,

thought it was rather like LOTR part 1, the action was good, but iw as expecting more of an epic final battle, like the end of LOTR 1, youd almost think there was more to come from the story,

i think you should see it, the pacing is very good so the story is always moving, the 3D is tripe and non existent, and TBF makes everything darker, (the one negative about seeing avatar this way)

my withnail and I blu ray arrived earlier today and it's just ending :) ****ing fantastic movie
    looks and sounds damned fine in HD too, this one is going to be many's a rewatch

Always found the ending to that film terribly sad. Withnail's "Hamlet" monologue is the finest moment in the film.

yeah, i was saying that while i was watching it. When 'I' cuts his hair, you know everything's changed. Think I'll watch it again tonight after the pub :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Universal Soldier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

just waatched the international i thought it was just a terrible film did not like it one bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Zombieland. Good in parts but feels like abit of a missed opportunity too. If they had gotten more laughs from the zombie killing and given less time to the predictable romance, it would have been alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Earlier: watched the Disney / Pixar film Cars on TV. Not quite what I was expecting: NASCAR-type racing at the beginning and end, but the middle of the movie is basically Doc Hollywood with cars as characters. City bigshot lands in a small town, gets arrested and sentenced to community service, catches the eye of a local lady, and learns to love the small town life.

Later this evening: finally saw No Country For Old Men. After the way it was built up in the press, I was slightly underwhelmed, and don't think it's the Coen Brothers' best work, not when compared to Fargo or A Serious Man. Which means that it's merely excellent. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Gone on an Easter weekend binge of great films.

So far I have watched The Godfather, Raging Bull, Casablanca and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Watched Harry Brown earlier. It wasn't as dark as I was led to believe. It was good though. Anything with Michael Caine usually is. More or less it's to do with a pensioner living in an estate having to deal with violent youths.
    It has similar themes to Death Sentence, a fantastic film I also watched quite recently.

Heat is on again on BBC2, this time on my surround sound at last!

Yeah! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Watched Pulp Fiction last night with 3 of my friends, one of whom had never seen it before... We were all enthralled by the movie, despite having seen it so many times before. After the film concluded, we asked the other person what they thought...

"Meh, was ok. Didn't understand the structure. Wasn't that good."

Amazingly, none of us murdered her...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Watched Final Destination 4 last night just for something "easy on the brain" to watch.. it was so over the top stupid and predictable we laughed our way through it.. There's an hour and 10 mins of my life I won't get back:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

stargate?

Love that film

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Heat is on again on BBC2, this time on my surround sound at last!

Yeah! :cool:

Wouldn't that only be broadcast in pro-logic at best though?
    Get it on DVD or better yet Bluray you cheapskate!;)

Watched the first half of Highlander the other day... I just couldn't handle the awesomeness of it any more and had to save the rest for another night.
    Pretty poor HD transfer unfortunately (compared to the impeccably restored Bladerunner, anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Last film I saw in cinema was Remember Me on Saturday which was excellent & am def going to see it again.

Last night rewatched Little Miss Sunshine - such a great film.

The People Under the Stairs

Rubbish.

Kiss Me Deadly

Brilliant.

End of review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Up in the Air - great movie. loved clooney and vera farmiga, they were great on screen together. looks like a rom-com and if that put you off honestly give it a shot is a great movie

Ninja Assassain - really silly and violent and deliciously cheesey. loved it. highly recommended. and has one of the best on screen kisses i've seen in ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Primer

Short enough film (About 1hr 15mins). Pretty good yarn about some smart guys who invent a kinda time machine and how their relationship strains as they use it and also trying to make sure that nothing is changed when they go back...very confusing, would probably need a couple of views.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement