Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affair [Showtime]

Options
  • 16-01-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭

Showtime has ordered to series The Affair, which is described an intense and intimate exploration of two marriages and an indiscretion that disrupts them – with all of the complex consequences that result. The cast features Dominic West (The Wire) and Ruth Wilson (Luther) — as the adulterers — and Maura Tierney (ER) and Joshua Jackson (Fringe), as their respective partners
    Source

Naked West and Jackson yes please :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I watched this last night and was bewildered by it.

Bewildered but intrigued - the bifurcated narrative is interesting and it looks great. Might be an autumn slow burner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This was a cracker of a pilot. Looking forward to more of it.

Still liking this a lot. Who do we think
    has died
    …?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Pilot was great, if it had ended just after Dominic West's part it would have been excellent. I found the second part unusual. Not sure if I liked the repeat of the story from the other side, felt like it wasn't different enough. But I think it has some great potential. Like it so far, second episode also good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tried the first episode, which has got a certain quality to it. Patient storytelling. Bit of an unsettling vibe, something unfolding. Characters seem well-placed in this story's world.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Is this available on the Showtime website, to watch in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Just watched the first two episodes. I'm intrigued, it's a slow burner but I'm enjoying it. It sort of bothers me how different their conversations are from each perspective and that in his eyes she was carrying heels on the beach and in her eyes she was wearing flats...maybe men and women do interpret conversations differently!

At first I assumed
    it was her husband Cole who died but due to the lack of emotion I don't feel it's him. Maybe the father in law?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've kept up with it, 1.04 being the latest. We
    are still in the dark as to who died. I've a feeling the detective's got a good nose, though.
    More importantly, who doesn't want to be a lighthouse nerd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I was surprised when I heard that.

It did spark up a bit in Episode 5 but I do wonder how they are going to keep it going for multiple seasons.

Noah's hardly in a position to preach
    to his daughter re 'actions have consequences'.

Building tension nicely I think. Good show, well worth the watch.

While I enjoy watching this I was hoping it would be wrapped up in ten episodes

The show didn't need the
    drugs arc
    I was disappointed with the most recent episode although I'll carry on with the season.

While I enjoy watching this I was hoping it would be wrapped up in ten episodes

Cliffhanger on the way, you reckon?

Major Rawls was fairly unhappy with that Vanity Fair profile, eh? And the lies come crashing down. Glad the blackmail plot didn't proceed.

Cliffhanger on the way, you reckon?

Major Rawls was fairly unhappy with that Vanity Fair profile, eh? And the lies come crashing down. Glad the blackmail plot didn't proceed.

Good episide this week.

Yeah, nice bit of progression. Is 'Descent' Noah's second book?

Stressors continue to be felt on the home front, then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Only heard about this after the Golden Globe nominations of last week and started watching it a few days ago. The two leads are superb, I think, Dominic West and Ruth Wilson, both English actors playing American characters. It made me smile to think about other characters they have both played in the past, McNulty and Jane Eyre getting it on!

The show itself is slow, and subtle and draws you in. I like the split narrative, it shows the way we only remember what suits us, our memories totally based on our own perspective and can differ easily from someone else who experienced the same thing. The Alison character especially, in the two halves of the narrative, is so different, polls apart.

All in all really enjoying it. The Long Island setting is really effective, creates a kind of claustrophobia of a small town, and all of the petty hatreds and rivalries that it involves. Intense and relentless and perfectly paced.

Well, they packed a fair bit into 1.09. This was Ruth Wilson and Maura Tierney's episode.

Well now, did he actually do it?

Thought it was a fairly logical finale given the character arcs, fractured relationships and the deep unresolved grief.
    Some gun play was bound to come into the picture given that sex/music montage at the start! Alison seemed to get fairly burnt in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I thought that they were going to be a little clearer with the major plot point in the series ie. Scotty's death. We still have no real idea when or how he died, and the series is now over. Obviously setting things up for series 2, but still, a bit light on detail with this, there is this big important chunk of the story that hasn't even been touched on.

Though both Ruth Wilson and Dominic West were nominated for a Golden globe, I thought the show really revolved around Ruth Wilson's performance. She is really mesmerising in this, playing the whole range of grief, lust, despair, desire. An intriguing concept, mainly brilliantly realized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just started watching this last night! not bad.... has a certain Usual Suspects feel to it so it keeps you tuned. The 2 different version of events was very good too... I just blindly accepted version 1 until I saw the second version.

Interesting premis..

That father in law is a real **** .

Can anyone tell me
    why the waitress kind of snuck away the thing the little girl spat out when she was choking? What was it
    ?

According to this review over at AV Club, it was a
    marble.

According to this review over at AV Club, it was a
    marble.
    Aye but it was funny just the way she picked it up and put it away like she was concealing it for some reason....

I had a quick look again. I wonder if it's because it reminded her of her own past circumstances. I can't remember how much of that's dealt with in 1.01, so I won't say anything more until you're caught up.

• Advertisement

I had a quick look again. I wonder if it's because it reminded her of her own past circumstances. I can't remember how much of that's dealt with in 1.01, so I won't say anything more until you're caught up.

Ya it's so easy to give so much away as they're holding so much back in each episode (of the 2 Ive seen anyway!)

Advertisement