Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iMrApex

My current internet situation with eFibre:
    Download: 95.96MBPS
    Upload: 19.26MBPS
    Ping: 10MS

I can't link the speedtest due to being a new user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

iMrApex wrote: »
    My current internet situation with eFibre:
    Download: 95.96MBPS
    Upload: 19.26MBPS
    Ping: 10MS

I can't link the speedtest due to being a new user.
    Do you live inside the cabinet? :D

swoofer wrote: »
    The shambles is that there has been no news by VF about vectoring, all they have done is change theIr website to show " up to 100mb" which I detest.

Eircom did a press release aeons ago and nothing else. One has now way of knowing if local cabinet has been enabled so you are at the mercy of the provider.

Eircom will understandably upgrade their customers automatically but the rest of us are faffing about waiting for news.

The roll out was expected to finish end of March 2014.

What eircom could do and should have done was mark the cabinets on their map as enabled for vectoring as they went along. They could also do a few updated press releases advising of progress.

I am only ranting as my line went bad as vectoring was being rolled out but a great guy on VF tech support told me just now, line has a fault so until that is fixed no point in enabling vectoring but he has put my speed back up to 39mb/8.5mb, however until fault is fixed this may drop again. Its now over to eircom.

I was expecting vectoring by end of March and its nearly June now. I know I should not moan but a lot of the blurb promises great things.
    For heaven's sake. Even without vectoring the speeds are very impressive. Come over to Germany and see how slowly Telekom here are rolling out VDSL. Eirom wholesale are absolutely flying along with this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

jd thanks, does that mean VF should do it automatically? But, as in my case, if there is a line fault they will do nothing until I ring them???
    I don't know how VF operate, but it'd be up to them to manage the speed profile applied to the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

MBSnr wrote: »
    Would you be able to hazard a guess as to the distance from the cab they are? You can get down to street level on the fibre map here http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/. Tick the Live box on the right.

I'm not 100% sure what path their line takes from the cab, but the tech did confirm which cab they're on. Eircom website says 768m as the crow flies, I estimate 1050m if following the road. I suspect the line quality over the last 50m is pretty poor too (house built in the 1930s).

Like I said, after vectoring it's approx. 20 down and 3 up. Rock solid connection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iMrApex

murphaph wrote: »
    Do you live inside the cabinet? :D

I could kick a ball at it from my garden, I'm pretty close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

SpaceTime wrote: »
    AFAIK, they're all enabled at this stage.

Check your modem stats and see if your 'attainable speed' has gone up. You could still be on a slower profile. In that case, you might need to contact your ISP's technical support.

Eircom seem to be re-profiling their own customers automatically (bit by bit), but that doesn't necessarily mean that other ISPs using the cabinets are necessarily doing the same.

The profile is just the speed that your account is set to rather than what the line's capable of.

I'm with Eircom and I read this to mean that my cabinet must be vectored already. I have been checking my stats regularly but they had not changed. So I rang Eircom this evening and the rep I spoke to didn't know what vectoring was and had never even heard the word. He asked his colleague who told him they have no idea when it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

well I did use the word "shambles" a little earlier.

here is a way to check, may not be foolproof, go to eircom website, put your no. in and it will show you the speed your line can now take, if its the same, then not vectored, if it shows an increase then its been vectored. You need to speak to eircom tech support not customer service,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

well I did use the word "shambles" a little earlier.

here is a way to check, may not be foolproof, go to eircom website, put your no. in and it will show you the speed your line can now take, if its the same, then not vectored, if it shows an increase then its been vectored. You need to speak to eircom tech support not customer service,
    I'm on VF (70/20 profile) and my SNR stats improved (up nearly 6dB) in early April and ping times dropped. Rang VF at end of April and they told me line was capable of +100Mb but they were unable to switch me as there was no higher profile available to them. The VF line checker says 100Mb, but the eircom one says max 70Mb. So maybe not vectored? How come the SNR improvement then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Do they still contain the original Alcatel-Lucent DSLAMs though?
    It's quite possible that eircom re-kitted them out with Huawei gear since. Or, at least have AlcaLu gear that's to the same more up-to-date spec.

The white box is just a cabinet with racks. It's what's inside that matters.

Oh they could have Im sure, but whether they've bothered to I dont know. IMO commissioning new cabs would be higher priority than small upgrades on old ones. Also the wholesale website still list them as "awaiting completion" even though theyve been in for a couple years.

The Huawei contract seems to involve delivery of complete assemblies, already mounted in the cabinet (arctan reckons even the installations inside exchanges for the direct fed customers involve the whole cabinet being installed) so I seriously doubt the gear in those old cabinets has been replaced. That sort of thing should be way down the list of priorities-they have VDSL even if it's not 100Mb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's also possible they'd just buy a small batch of Alcatel vectoring gear.

Alcatel's one of eircom's largest suppliers of equipment anyway - most of the new core IP "NGN" network is built around Alcatel switches and also about half the voice/ISDN network (old tech, but it's still being maintained and made ready for IP integration). Lots of Alcatel optical transmission gear etc etc too. Also, a lot of their ADSL2+ stuff would be Alcatel DSLAMs.

So, I'm sure eircom could simply order up whatever cards are necessary for those Alcatel-Lucent cabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

I rang Vodafone yesterday and asked about Vectoring - guy I spoke to checked a database for me but it's not fully populated yet (I asked and he said that it was most of the Dublin and Cork cabs that were on the database as either having vectoring enabled or not). My cab (NMK1_009) wasn't on it so he couldn't tell me - I had an engineer here this morning though and he said that the NTMK ones were not yet enabled. I imagine that anyone can ring the other resellers out of Eircom Wholesale and they'll have similar access to said database (for what it's worth).

MBSnr, and anyone else who would like to see the attainables (and other hidden info about the line connection) on the HG658c router DSL stats page, they can be viewed by editing the CSS in most browsers - just search for "display:none" (it'll be a style attribute) and delete it. if you have the browser extension "Stylish" (or other style adaptor) installed, you can automate this to reveal all the hidden features (not just the hidden stats) with the following:

[style*="display:none"] {display:inline !important}

set to apply to the domain 192.168.1.1

If you're running OS X, I made an app that makes a whole bunch of improvements to the Huawei router's UI - I'd be happy to share.

And if anyone with Eircom who is 1.5km+ from their cab, and on the maximum adaptive rate profile Eircom allows their line, please post their stats - specifically their SNR margins. Thanks.

Just to add a little bit, I rang VF tech support yesterday and was told there was a fault on my line, this was flagged to eirom at about 4pm yesterday and blow me an eircom engineer called to house today at 2.30pm!! He advised no fault in the line and I was getting the max. I then asked about vectoring and to check if cabinet was enabled he had to ring dublin, he was advised that cabinet was enabled for vectoring BUT.. and this was the killer throwaway remark " cabinet can be enabled but there is no way of knowing if vectoringhas been switched on yet!! " From that I am assuming eircom will up the profiles when they are good and ready and one day soon I hope I will notice a slight improvement in speeds. My pings have improved already but as I am bout 800+ metres from cabinet I am not holding my breath on any dramatic speed gain. Even though eircom line checker says 50mb that could be the usual gibberish ie we meant up to 50. He finished by saying only those close to the cabinet will see a big gain. No surprise there.

I have modem bridged and used firefox as per the guidelines on here but could you explain a bit more how to edit CSS etcin firefox as you have lost me.

I have a macbook pro as well so would be interested in that app.

As an aside when eircom engineer tested my line today it had no errors ie crc = 0. other stats like attenuation 12.5 and snr 9.5. It was a tiny screen so hard to read. My attainable rate was showing as 44493 down and 9 up. actual is 38/39 and 8.5.

swoofer I don't know what the forum rules are re: linking to an app so I PM'd it to you. Interesting conversation you relate - as I'm sure you know, Vodafone's rate adaptive profiles won't sync at SNR's of below 9dB anymore (used to be 6 which suited me better at 1.8km away) so, with your SNR of 9.5 and a clean line, it figures that there's not much more the engineer can do for you.

Re. manually changing the hidden attribute for the HG658c's unshown stats etc.: Take Firefox as an example.
      You'd type in 192.168.1.1 into the URL bar at the top of the browser
      Enter "admin" and "admin1234" for username and password respectively.
      Navigate to the DSL stats page.
      Right-click (or ctrl-click) on the words "Upstream line rate (kbit/s)" and choose "Inspect Element" from the contextual menu that appears.
      In the console that appears at the bottom of the page you'll see that, two or three lines below the selected line, are two lines ending "style="display:none"></tr>"
      Double click on the words "display:none" and they should be selected. Press delete / backspace and then press enter / return. Repeat for the other one.
    You should now be able to see the attainables for your line connection. The same principle applies to the other hidden elements elsewhere on this and other pages in the router domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

As an aside when eircom engineer tested my line today it had no errors ie crc = 0. other stats like attenuation 12.5 and snr 9.5. It was a tiny screen so hard to read. My attainable rate was showing as 44493 down and 9 up. actual is 38/39 and 8.5.

As said - Looks like the line is picking up noise (ratio of SNR is at the lower end threshold) and Vodafone are saying it can't go any faster without losing the ability to differentiate between signal and noise on the line (leading to errors). But your line attenuation is good at only 12dB loss.

I have read about others with SNR of closer to 6dB and running ok (maybe some errors) but perhaps they are with Eircom and as OcocO says, perhaps Vodafone are stricter maintaining the 9dB SNR threshold....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

after working how to find the hidden stats i got this.

i am about 500m from the cab.

Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 30719
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 8191
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 42596
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 21770

do i have vectoring and i how do i get a upload of 20 meg. :D

irishgeo wrote: »

You sure you're 500m? Attains leave some headroom but at 500m 50Mb should be possible, could well be unvectored yet.

It would be good to see the SNR stats but, based on the attainables alone, I'd be surprised if Vodafone couldn't up you to their 40/10 rate adaptive profile. It might be worth ringing their tech support in the morning and ask them to check it and switch you up. There's no longer much of a case for remaining on a fixed rate profile when Vodafone's variable rate ones are so (arguably unnecessarily) robust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Best thing to do is take a screenshot of your stats page and post it here because we'll need to know your line attenuation and noise margin.

• Advertisement

Best thing to do is take a screenshot of your stats page and post it here because we'll need to know your line attenuation and noise margin.

as requested

i measured the distance from the car, not an exact science.

screenshot of the stats page.

as requested

i measured the distance from the car, not an exact science.

screenshot of the stats page.

Your attenuation levels are much lower than mine.

21.5 dB (up) 21.0 dB (down) for me
     SNR Margin:        9.2 dB            9.4 dB
    I'm connected at : Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 66.321 Mbps

Your SNR is better too. So it's obviously a shorter line.

Measurement by car to my house from the cab is about 650m and about 675m on the eircom map.

What I'm surprised at is that occasionally my modem seems to manage up to 71 Mbit/s .. so obviously it adjusts to varying conditions so I'm guessing something is obviously generating noise at particular times of the day - could be busier lines with more ADSL2+ traffic cross talk to deal with or something who knows.

irishgeo ^^^

I'd have thought as your SNR is 15dB you'd be able to get the next profile up - 40/10.

Also reboot the modem if you notice the profile changing - I found on the Eircom F1000 my speed tests showed me connecting at the lower profile speed even though it had been upped. A reboot got me the full speed.

I'd add that my line's been rock solid too since the speed upgrade so the slightly less than 10 SNR seems to work just fine. Seems eircom are willing to push the lines to their limits much more than Vodafone is.

no joy with a reboot

irishgeo: just for the avoidance of doubt I want to make sure that you realise that you have to actually ring VF tech support (1800 805 019) and ask them to raise your profile.

SpaceTime: I've also been taking an interest in the times of day that noise is generated (mostly because if I pick my time I can reboot and squeeze an extra MBit or two out of the connection) so I programmed my new UI for the router to plot SNRs and attainables over time, which yielded the following chart:

30kud6q.jpg

What I find odd is that I'm not in a business area (although I do work from home quite a bit and have a home office). The only lines on my local cabinet are probably mostly residential.

The SNR drops during business hours and is improved off-peak. So, I assume it has to be noise coming from either other lines on the network running VDSL, ADSL or even ISDN or, maybe it's coming from stuff like power line routers or broadcast RF from mobile phones or something like that?

I'm not familiar with the frequencies being used by VDSL2 though, so if I knew that I could take a stab at guessing what's causing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_speed_digital_subscriber_line_2 links to wikipedia page with some info about frequencies used by the technologies in use on the network and has some pretty depictions like:
    VDSL2_frequencies.png
    My Google search also yielded more reliable academic sources but tl;dr.

OcocO wrote: »
    irishgeo: just for the avoidance of doubt I want to make sure that you realise that you have to actually ring VF tech support (1800 805 019) and ask them to raise your profile.

SpaceTime: I've also been taking an interest in the times of day that noise is generated (mostly because if I pick my time I can reboot and squeeze an extra MBit or two out of the connection) so I programmed my new UI for the router to plot SNRs and attainables over time, which yielded the following chart:

30kud6q.jpg

i got that , someone suggested a reboot, thats all.

ill give them a ring and see what they think.

i got that , someone suggested a reboot, thats all.

ill give them a ring and see what they think.

That was me. I had to reboot after the profile change as even though the modem said it was connected at the new profile speed it wasn't actually until restarted.

• Advertisement

That was me. I had to reboot after the profile change as even though the modem said it was connected at the new profile speed it wasn't actually until restarted.

Seen that mentioned a couple times. The profile change re-syncs but the speeds don't change so i'd hazard a guess the QoS values aren't reset and its still ranging to the old max.

ED E wrote: »
    Seen that mentioned a couple times. The profile change re-syncs but the speeds don't change so i'd hazard a guess the QoS values aren't reset and its still ranging to the old max.

I was at someone's house (with Vodafone) and took a sneak peek at the admin webpage - it was sync'ing @ 70Mb but they were only getting a 30Mb speedtest result. I mentioned they should reboot to get 70Mb but they weren't that bothered.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I was at someone's house (with Vodafone) and took a sneak peek at the admin webpage - it was sync'ing @ 70Mb but they were only getting a 30Mb speedtest result. I mentioned they should reboot to get 70Mb but they weren't that bothered.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I rebooted my eircom modem and the speed dropped even further. ... No more rebooting for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_speed_digital_subscriber_line_2 links to wikipedia page with some info about frequencies used by the technologies in use on the network and has some pretty depictions like:
    VDSL2_frequencies.png
    My Google search also yielded more reliable academic sources but tl;dr.

2.2 - 12MHz covers a LOT of spectrum.

Eircom does actively manage spectrum on the copper network though. There's a lot of work gone into ensuring it all works without interference.

Powerline home plug data runs at 2.5 - 30 MHz and 50 MHz to 300 MHz so, maybe that might have something to do with it?

I must unplug my 'home plugs' and see if the VDSL speed changes as I'm not particularly close to another property.

Interesting bit of tech info on it : http://www.atis.org/legal/Docs/INITIATIVE%20PG%20ONLY/COAST_to_NIST_050510.pdf
    AITS (Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions)

and that's Ireland's RF plan : http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13118.pdf

Well there sure is a lot going on in the airwaves - but that's probably a topic for another thread.
    This extract from the first link:
    The most commonly used ADSL, ADSL2, and ADSL2plus frequency bands for ADSL are:
    upstream: 25.875 kHz to 138 kHz (for all ADSL) downstream: 138 kHz to 1.1 MHz (for G.992.1 and G.992.3) downstream: 138 kHz to 2.2 MHz (for G.992.5)

The frequency bands specified in ITU-T Recommendation G.993.2 (VDSL2) are:

optional upstream band: 25.875 kHz to 138 kHz

downstream 1: 138 kHz to 3.75 MHz

upstream 1: 3.75 MHz to 5.2 MHz

downstream 2: 5.2 MHz to 8.5 MHz
    upstream 2: 8.5 MHz to 12 MHz

downstream 3: 12 MHz to 23 MHz
    upstream 3: 23 MHz to 30 MHz

Please note that the VDSL2 standard specifies several profiles which define different maximum frequencies: 8.5 MHz, 12 MHz, 17 MHz, and 30 MHz. Thus, not all VDSL2 implementations utilize the full 30 MHz spectrum.

as well as being interesting, gives me something to hang my hidden attenuation stats on:
    jujx21.png
    Not sure why half are "loop" and the other half "signal" but I'm mainly curious to know if the VDSL2 here in Ireland are, in fact, using those higher frequencies as part of Noise reduction/ error checking or some such.

Well there sure is a lot going on in the airwaves - but that's probably a topic for another thread.
    This extract from the first link:

as well as being interesting, gives me something to hang my hidden attenuation stats on:
    jujx21.png
    Not sure why half are "loop" and the other half "signal" but I'm mainly curious to know if the VDSL2 here in Ireland are, in fact, using those higher frequencies as part of Noise reduction/ error checking or some such.

I don't think so. The main reason you'd pick frequencies would be based on what you're allowed to use by the regulator and also based on the type of wiring that was used and what it can support.

In some other countries (France and the US for example) you'll find big chunks of spectrum taken for 'defence forces / military' use. In a lot of cases they're probably not even used, but just got block-booked in the 1950s / 60s and are outside the scope of the telecoms regulator.

In general the eircom wiring's proving to be quite high quality compared to what's used in some other markets.

I'd suspect there's also probably less noise in Irish phone wiring due to the fact that the country's just not very densely populated. Even in big cities we would tend to mostly have housing estates, not dense apartment dwelling. So, you're not going to have anything like as many connections sharing the same duct spaces going back to the same FTTC cabinet.

Also, not that many VDSL deployments have attempted to use 100Mbit/s speeds. Most of them are operating at a bout half that. VDSL2 with vectoring is very new so you won't find all that much information about it online.

Eircom's definitely one of the very first major deployments of it. Mostly it's been small scale / test projects from what I've seen. Quite a few European telcos are still only playing around with it, including BT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Why are so many people having issues with Vectoring?

Maybe it's because I only joined Vodafone Fibre recently but when I was connected I sync'ed at 100/20 straight away.

I'm around 400 Metres but probably less.

Maybe Carlow is just one of the few (or so it seems) places where Vectoring is enabled?

Yes, it seems evident that the rollout here is being guided by someone who knows what they're doing alright - aided, as you say, by the fact that Ireland, for the various reasons that you and others have mentioned in this thread, is a good candidate for VDSL2's successful implementation. Something to be grateful for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

Hi All,

I just got upgraded to Vodafone fibre. I get a 50mb d/l and about 19mb up. Vodafone said 50mb was all my line could take. I checked the router's attainable for my line as per the instructions in this thread and is said a 88mb d/l and 29mb up. Can I get Vodafone to up the speed on my line? Am a bit peeved as I knew I would never get 100mb but didn't expect it to only be half of that.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement

Cream2000 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I just got upgraded to Vodafone fibre. I get a 50mb d/l and about 19mb up. Vodafone said 50mb was all my line could take. I checked the router's attainable for my line as per the instructions in this thread and is said a 88mb d/l and 29mb up. Can I get Vodafone to up the speed on my line? Am a bit peeved as I knew I would never get 100mb but didn't expect it to only be half of that.

Thanks for the help!

Hi, a screenshot of your line stats would assist in guestimating whether or not Vodafone really can't put you on a better profile, however it looks like you joined to ask that question so it may not be immediately apparent how to include a screenshot of your stats in your post (You would upload it via an image hosting site such as http://tinypic.com and paste in the "forum / message board" link it gives you).

Anyway though, it couldn't do any harm to ring VF tech support on the number I mentioned above (they're open till 9pm) and ask them if they can put you on a higher profile - perhaps a rate adaptive one. Give it a go!

Hi OcocO,

You are right I couldn't post the image...even the url for the forum/msg boards because I am a new user but below are what the router shows me:

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 51197
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 88660
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 29538
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.2
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 12.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.1
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 13.2
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -4.3
    Downstream CRC 2
    Upstream CRC 2
    Downstream FEC 241271
    Upstream FEC 83336

Would it be worth calling Vodafone? What would adaptive rate do for me? Also can they get vectoring turned on if its off?

Again, thanks for the help!

Cream2000 wrote: »
    STATS

P6fooy1.png

Ask for an 80/20 Fixed profile for now and see how you get on. Theres a reasonable chance you are vectored with attains that high unless you are very close to the cab.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Vectoring has kicked in on my line now and I've gone from 23.8mb/s to around 36.6mb/s down and from 6.7mb/s up to 9.6mb/s up. Very happy with those increases. Attenuation has actually gone up though from 17.3 to 20.5. How did that happen?

Cream2000 You seem to have a good connection. Ed's right - perhaps good enough for 80/20 fixed. The chart in his post, if it's not immediately apparent from the titles, corresponds to fixed (Stable/Multicast) and rate adaptive (High Speed Internet) profiles available depending on line quality.

The fixed profiles 'guarantee' those speeds regardless of the time of day / load on the network etc. whereas rate adaptive will sync you at the highest speeds it can without dropping the SNR below 9 (in Vodafone's case - perhaps 6 with other providers) so the highest rate adaptive profile available to you will be at least as fast as the fixed connection and, typically, faster.

Because Vodafone doesn't sync it's customers below an SNR of 9, even the rate adaptive profiles are extremely robust (i.e. the connection will almost never momentarily drop out on you) and, at my distance from the cab, the choice has been a no-brainer.

Thanks so much for the info guys. Rang Vodafone's tech support, they said they could upgrade my profile, but needed to do a sync test, unfortunately because I just got my fibre connection yesterday it was not up on the system to do the test yet. Told me to call back next week but I did ask if I could get a 80/20 fixed if it passed and they said that would be no problem. I would be totally happy with that....like I said I never expected to get 100mbs. When I has DSL it synced at 12 but only used to get around 8 in tests, and I used to get hit bad at peak times. Hopefully they will be able to upgrade it. Had to sign up for an 18month contract to get free router and installation, asked what would happen if I broke the contract and like what Eircom do now they would charge for the remaining time left on the contract. Something to be very clear when you sign up as I broke an Eircom contract and got hit with a €300 bill...I had moved house and that reset my contract to start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 razor75x

When I put my number into eircom site for speed availability it's telling me my line can get up to 100mb speed ! It used to say I could get up to 70mb speed and out of the 70 I was getting 66 . Rang eircom and they say my line is still at the 70mb profile ! So I'm confused if it's Ben vectoured or not ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

heres my stats from my vodafone router, ive already rang vodafone about getting the profile changed to be told that eircom have the line locked to 50/15 and i know this is bull as i had magnet 70mb fatpipe up till the start of this year and was on a 50/20 profile. what can i do about that?

Old magnet router stats where

Line Rate (Down / Up) 50174 Kbps / 20478 Kbps
    Noise Margin (Down / Up) 9.3 dB / 9.1 dB
    Attenuation (Down / Up) 14.2 dB / 5.2 dB
    Power (Down / Up) 12.4 dBm / 1.6 dBm

2914574102.png

with the massive difference between pings and small increase in snr can i take it that vectoring is enabled on that line?

and heres the vodafone stats

Line standard VDSL2
    VDSL standard Profile 17a
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 15360
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 64184
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 23591
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.9
    Downstream DS1 loop attenuation(dB) 14.2
    Downstream DS2 loop attenuation(dB) 33.4
    Downstream DS3 loop attenuation(dB) 50.7
    Upstream US0 loop attenuation(dB) 4.9
    Upstream US1 loop attenuation(dB) 26.2
    Upstream US2 loop attenuation(dB) 38.8
    Upstream US3 loop attenuation(dB) N/A
    Kl0(1MHz attenuation)(dB) 1270
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 1.7
    Downstream delay(ms) 0
    Upstream delay(ms) 0
    Downstream INP(symbols) 30.0
    Upstream INP(symbols) 30.0
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 2307
    Upstream FEC 2
    Downstream Error seconds 0

3551130097.png

dazdrog wrote: »
    Noise Margin (Down / Up) 9.3 dB / 9.1 dB
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.2

That's a pretty decent raise in SNR - it should translate into a better profile (although perhaps only rate adaptive, which, for my line, has been great) assuming that there's no basis to that "Eircom's locked your line speed" dubiousness. You could push for 60/20 anyway.

Fantastic increase in ping as you say :). I couldn't be absolutely certain that vectoring is enabled on your line as the recent g.INP implementation also boosted people's stats but I would guess that it has. Vodafone have access to the database of which cabs have vectoring active and which don't - last I checked with them though, the database was far from fully populated. Give them a ring again and ask them to check it if you're sufficiently curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Why don't we build our own list of areas where Vectoring is definitely enabled?

It would provide somewhere where you could check if your area has been enabled or not.

Just an idea but it could work!

I'll start - Carlow is definitely enabled as I'm on the 100/20 profile with no issues and as are my neighbours whom have Fibre.

ah but is it switched on????

• Advertisement
Advertisement