Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny sacks Bruton

Options
  • 14-06-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

RTE reporting that Kenny has sacked Richard Bruton as his deputy leader and Finance spokesman.

Obviously trying to get his move in first, very bad move imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Villain wrote: »
    RTE reporting that Kenny has sacked Richard Bruton as his deputy leader and Finance spokesman.

Obviously trying to get his move in first, very bad move imo.

Nope I reckon Bruton has surged too soon and he has messed up his chances. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭BenK

Bruton didn't give him any other option in fairness...

BenK wrote: »
    Bruton didn't give him any other option in fairness...

This is true...ya couldn't make it up though...on the eve of the motion of no confidence FG just fall apart..Bruton dropped the ball here..it was stupid...kenny's performance in the dail lately has been quite good if ya can get past his accent..FF must be laughing..Bruton will be a loss from the FG front bench..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Kenny had to do this- think about the situation Bruton put him in- he had already called a vote of no confidence in Brian Cowen due for Wednesday yet at the same time Bruton thought it prudent to start a simultaneous no confidence motion in Kenny. And all because of one poll, which may yet turn out to be rogue. If the party wobbles on the basis on one poll then questions need to be asked.

Im not a fan of Kenny but Bruton has shown himself to be stupid in his timing on this one and now he has to pay the price.

On another note George Lee must be kicking himself right about now- if he had of stayed then he could be sitting pretty for the Finance portfolio right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Kenny is panicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

\Good god Fine Gael can't do anything right. How the f*ck could this not have been sorted out behind closed doors?

They're like politics answer to the England football team. No matter how good things are going for them they're always unfortunate enough to mess things up somehow.

Bruton's what traditional anti-fine gaelers like about fine gael. We're getting Fianna Fail in the next election, aren't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sacking Bruton was the worst thing possible, watch the pro Bruton supporters come out of the woodwork.

Kenny is a nice guy but doesn't bring people with him.

Perfectly cast iron obvious .

Time to go .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

\Good god Fine Gael can't do anything right. How the f*ck could this not have been sorted out behind closed doors?

They're like politics answer to the England football team. No matter how good things are going for them they're always unfortunate enough to mess things up somehow.

Bruton's what traditional anti-fine gaelers like about fine gael. We're getting Fianna Fail in the next election, aren't we?

And the one after that, and the one after that etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wasn't it John Bruton (Richard's brother) who somebody said of "if it were raining soup he would be out trying to catch it with a fork". What a bunch of clowns FG are, Fianna Fail on the rack and then they throw the ****ers a lifeline. Still it makes for entertainment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well now its war! Bruton has to gather his troops and challange Kenny (and win).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In the words of Bishop Brennan, they couldn't organise a nun-shoot in a nunnery. I hate Fianna Fail as much as the next person, but this is one of those times where it's very easy to see how they've managed to cling on to power for so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

How in gods name did FG so royally f*ck up this chance to oust Cowen from FF? All the newspapers this weekend should have been carrying stories about FF's disasterous placing in the Irish Times poll and about the no confidence motion on Cowen but instead all we get is wall to wall coverage of the infighting in FG. What a group of morons.

It was there on a platter and they go and once again snatch defeat from the jaws for victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Any wonder why I won't Fine Gael in the next general election:(

• Registered Users Posts: 54,691 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kenny has shown some balls here, proper order. Bruton was out to screw the leader, so Kenny screwed him. He was right to sack him. It's a pity others wouldn't do the same, fair ruthlessness is needed in politics and other walks of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ridiculous timing by FG.

While it would still obviously be a disaster for the country if FF maintained power, FG have failed spectacularly this week to capitalise on the first clear proof that FF were complicit in the crash and that they've been blatantly lying through their teeth for nearly 3 years, referencing Lehman's at every opportunity.

It's Cowen that should be on the scrap-heap this Tuesday, not Bruton.

I tell ya, what a country we're living in:

Option A: A corrupt shower of incompetents that screwed the country
    Option B: An inept group that score own-goals on the evening before a clear-cut victory
    Option C: A group that refuses to clearly set out how it will tackle the PS bill
    Option D: Potentially appealing, but includes the likes of Healy-Rae and Lowry

After this news, I reckon that Option C is the best

Any chance we could muster up 166 competent, non-vested interest, ethical independents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I personally dont have confidence in any politicians at the mo. None of them are in touch with reality never mind my generation.
    But I did like bruton, and I think all this in-fighting in FG is destroying the party. I voted FG in the past, but I wouldnt vote for any of the main parties now.

We need a whole new political set up in this country. maybe this is the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Enda Kenny wrote:
    Et tu, Bruton

SarahBM wrote: »
    I personally dont have confidence in any politicians at the mo. None of them are in touch with reality never mind my generation.
    But I did like bruton, and I think all this in-fighting in FG is destroying the party. I voted FG in the past, but I wouldnt vote for any of the main parties now.

We need a whole new political set up in this country. maybe this is the start.

We need a proper centre right political party in this country for starters, Ireland is a conservative country yet there are no proper conservative parties in this country.

I have no confidence in any of the political parties but Kenny was right to fire Bruton and will Bruton now have the balls to go ahead with a leadership challenge against Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

This shite about the 'Dublin media' forcing this.

Its the opinion polls. Enda Kenny cannot draw the support of non FG people, FG have gone into themselves and may well keep Kenny. Massive mistake. Kenny may be the leader FG want but the wider public don't. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

walshb wrote: »
    Kenny has shown some balls here, proper order. Bruton was out to screw the leader, so Kenny screwed him. He was right to sack him. It's a pity others wouldn't do the same, fair ruthlessness is needed in politics and other walks of life.

Disagree, If Bruton were leader of FG for the last election they would be in government now. I, and many like me would have voted FG.

In the last Irish Times opinion poll the majority of voters stated they'd prefer Bruton as taoiseach over Kenny.

Ruthlessness is not what's required here, it's humility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

walshb wrote: »

Disagree there, he gave Bruton the 'cause'.

Look at all the polls over the years, all firmly pointing to the fact that Kenny is the block which prevents the undecided from rowing in behind FG.

Kenny should have read the public mood and stepped down, giving FG a cast iron win in the next GE.

Kenny was right to fire Bruton and will Bruton now have the balls to go ahead with a leadership challenge against Kenny.

They should have parked their differences until next week for the sake of the country.

Now this spat will overshadow tomorrow's debate on Cowen's incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

This is a massive mistake on Kenny's part. He had to face down Bruton yes, but this could have been done tomorrow and if Kenny won he would have shown to the country, and his party, that he is the man to lead Fine Gael. If he had lost then we would have been left with a good leader in the shape of Bruton and the whole thing would have been finished up by the weekend.

Instead what Kenny has done is portray himself to the country as being completely ruthless. While it can be argued that he had to do this, surely what I mentioned in the above paragraph would have been better. If he had lost the confidence motion he would have come out of it in an honourable position and even more so if he had won. What we are going to be left with now is an opposition party that will be fighting among themselves for weeks or even months to come. Labour will be left as the main challengers to Fianna Fail and that is a battle they won't win.

Kenny has just ruined his own party and the public's already tenuous perception of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Bruton just stuck the knife in on TV3 news...

Kenny has just ruined his own party and the public's already tenuous perception of him.

+1

Ask anyone in the country and - despite whatever lies Sam Smyth might like to spout - the two people that know their stuff in relation to finance are Richard Bruton and Joan Burton.

In fact, the one reason that some people didn't want Bruton to be leader of FG is because he'd be the obvious choice for finance.

Now FG are in a position where their key trump card has been sidelined.

Absurdum wrote: »
    Bruton just stuck the knife in on TV3 news...

What did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Kenny had no option but to sack Bruton, that's just a formality.

FG & Bruton know Cowen has the numbers to survive tomorrow evening.

Last week's poll was FG's dissenters first oppertunity to kill Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Joan Burton knows the finance? Has Lab worked out how we are going to pay for all their proposals yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

What did he say?

Bruton on tv3 just said that he has no faith in Kenny as the leader of FG.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    FG & Bruton know Cowen has the numbers to survive tomorrow evening.

So that means what.....that they shouldn't do their duty ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement