Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Hi, I am selling my car, ad is https://www.carsireland.ie/2402554

It is in Donedeal and Carzone too. Curiously enough I have two "prospect buyers" from the UK that have offered money without seeing the car and they will send the cheque and send someone to ship the car when it has cleared.

This is the message:

" it's like we can come to an
    agreement,so keep the ad off market and consider sold to me.I am okay
    with the price,your details is needed for payment to be issued out to
    you via post,in which reputable courier will handle the shipment.

So do not worry about that OK. I will be sending you a cheque its will
    be cleared before pick up.....I will send the shipping agent details
    when the payment clears.

Get back to me with your details as requested below:
    Full name...
    Residential address...
    City..
    State..
    Zipcode...
    Country...
    Cell Phone number...
    Home Phone number...

Can you remove it from the posting and consider it sold to me? If i
    have the payment details today the payment will be sent on Monday
    OK..I will be looking forward to read from you...if you have whats-app
    you can chat me up on xxxxx.

Regard.
    Thank You..........xxxxxxx
    N.B....The cheque will have to be cleared before the pick up of the car."

I know it has to be a scam, but I am not sure what they might be interested in, my address???

Cheers

Edit: Obviously there are cheaper cars in the UK than mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What they’ll do is overpay you for the car using a fake draft, then get you to give them money back. You lose the money you give them, and the bank takes back the fake draft money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What they’ll do is overpay you for the car using a fake draft, then get you to give them money back. You lose the money you give them, and the bank takes back the fake draft money.

Hmm, but I would not give money back until the draft has cleared? But yeah, that makes some sense

If it’s a foreign draft, I think the money shows in your account before it actually clears or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Was just about to post a similar thread /question

Have a 05 Focus with nct till next July taxes till end of this month
    Was hoping I’d just be able to trade it against the car I was getting but the dealer didn’t want it
    I’d nearly have let him take it for free to avoid the hassle of selling it !

I’d hate to scrap it as it’s been a fine car and is still running well
    But I don’t think I want the hassle and stress of trying to sell it
    Insurance will be switched to new car in 2 weeks so may just give it till then to try and sell

Time has come to sell it and I am very nervous about it all.
    Tax is up at end of month.
    Insurance has been switched to new car
    So I do not know where that leaves me for test drives.......I have just put it up on Done Deal but I may take it down overnight while I think about . I would get a few 100 for it no doubt but I do not want to take any risks whatsoever. I don't know what to do tbh
    It is parked off road at drive of house if that makes any difference. I would hate to scrap it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Theres a certain type of person that you’ll be dealing with at that end of that market.

Scrap it and be done with it.

Theres a certain type of person that you’ll be dealing with at that end of that market.

Scrap it and be done with it.

:(
    Would they not be the same type of person?
    I am leaning this way though sadly cos it is running fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Stick it up on the "Your car for sale" thread on Boards, and also in the Bangernomics thread

One final question
    The tax is out on November 1st
    Do I need to declare it off the road by then and if I do will this affect test drives ?

Have has a few time wasters enquire and that’s it so far
    If i end up having to tax it I might very reluctantly have to scrap it

Don’t declare it off the road. Just drive it, you’ll be fine til December at the least.

• Advertisement

Don’t declare it off the road. Just drive it, you’ll be fine til December at the least.

It’s parked up off road anyway

Some amount of time wasters out there :(

Try doing it for a living :’(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres some chancers out there.. I have a car for sale and someone made a stupid offer and said, “The car was crashed in the uk” and sent me a history check. All the details of my car were wrong. nct, tax, date of import etc. Didn’t even have a reg shown on the check. Clearly a report from another car that had been wrote off.

The things people will do to get a few quid off the asking price! I bet he sent that same message and report to loads of people!

km79 wrote: »
    Some amount of time wasters out there :(

And just like that it was gone
    Got a phone call from a genuine person at 330
    Collected and paid in cash (the amount I had been hoping for too) at 430
    Logbook signed and kept by me
    Name and address double checked against their licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Anyone know what the best time of year to sell a car is? Put my car up two days ago and no bites yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Two days ago was New Year's Eve. You need to give it more time.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Two days ago was New Year's Eve. You need to give it more time.

Yes apologies, I meant more along the lines of no saves etc I'm in no rush but generally asking what times of year would most second hand sales happen?

The car becomes worth less as the year goes on so now is a good tome to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Kilboor wrote: »
    Yes apologies, I meant more along the lines of no saves etc I'm in no rush but generally asking what times of year would most second hand sales happen?

Selling a cheap or dear car?

If it's cheap and cheerful check your price.
    Let off brothers 12 year old Mazda over the Christmas.
    Plenty 4 or 5 saves. 200 odd views.
    Still plenty activity at lower end of market.

• Advertisement

Selling a cheap or dear car?

If it's cheap and cheerful check your price.
    Let off brothers 12 year old Mazda over the Christmas.
    Plenty 4 or 5 saves. 200 odd views.
    Still plenty activity at lower end of market.

Roughly 9k so not cheap but I'm undercutting dealers by 1k if not more for others. NCT tomorrow so after that I'll see if interest increases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Kilboor wrote: »
    Roughly 9k so not cheap but I'm undercutting dealers by 1k if not more for others. NCT tomorrow so after that I'll see if interest increases

If new NCT put up a new ad or bump the old one. Put "New NCT" in title

Lot of people have no interest in short NCT

€1k isn’t a lot to be undercutting dealers by.

€1k isn’t a lot to be undercutting dealers by.

It's up to 3k in some cases but thanks will reconsider if interest doesn't increase.

There needs to be more than 1k difference between your private sale and a dealer. Remember that a buyer could haggle a decent discount off the dealer which brings it closer to your asking price again. Many people will be happy to pay that difference for the protection of some sort of warranty from a dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

How much of an impact do dents and scratches have on a sale price?

I've got a 08 Mini, about 100k km, with a dent in the corner of the rear bumper where it was reversed into a pillar once - just under the tail lights but they're not damaged - and some serious patches of paint peeling on the bonnet and roof. This is not the car but it's representative, think multiple patches of this:

65a88477_b3ac_473a_b34b_3b4ce6d03163_41cfa741a5459ab6d6534c683a6066e2c2a13a33.jpeg

Mechanically the car has been bulletproof, regular service, new brake pads last year, never failed an NCT, though I get that's a hard sell when its exterior is poorly maintained.

I imagine it's way too old for it to be worth trying to repair the damage, so how much of a discount would you expect for that?

An 08 mini would be a low value trade car anyway so it won’t have a disastrous impact on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

There needs to be more than 1k difference between your private sale and a dealer. Remember that a buyer could haggle a decent discount off the dealer which brings it closer to your asking price again. Many people will be happy to pay that difference for the protection of some sort of warranty from a dealer.

How much would mileage affect how much you should be undercutting a dealer? Going to be selling a golf soon, it’s a 152 with 33,000kms and dealers are selling similar ones for €13k with almost 100,000kms more.

Depends on the spec really. Could make 14/15k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

L-M wrote: »
    Depends on the spec really. Could make 14/15k.

True, will take it in to a dealer and see what they'd give me for it to get an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Selling my 2004 Seat Ibiza on DoneDeal - https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-seat-ibiza-stella-1-2/23934507

I got a few messages from time wasters, one viewing arranged but a no-show. Boosted the ad once so it's up for a while. At this stage I'm fed up of looking at it. I got an offer of €200 from my garage from it but know I can get more. I've gradually knocked down the price on DoneDeal the last 2 months to budge it but still nothing. Any ideas on how I can push it (or anyone interested)?

Because it's 2004 (putting it outside the 15 year old bracket), and due to the ridiculous system with the insurance companies here, it will be very difficult for somebody to get insured. The biggest issue is, it would appeal to younger drivers due to the small engine size and value etc and they are the last people who will be able to insure anything over 15 years of age!

Honestly, I think you will struggle to get anything around the asking price and will probably end up getting closer to what the garage offered you. There are so many good cars out there now for small money that unless it's something very niche, it's impossible to sell.

I have a Saab 9-3 listed which is 2007 with a 1.8 engine and NCT until August (granted it's high mileage), and I have very little interest and its listed for under €800!

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Because it's 2004 (putting it outside the 15 year old bracket), and due to the ridiculous system with the insurance companies here, it will be very difficult for somebody to get insured. The biggest issue is, it would appeal to younger drivers due to the small engine size and value etc and they are the last people who will be able to insure anything over 15 years of age!

Honestly, I think you will struggle to get anything around the asking price and will probably end up getting closer to what the garage offered you. There are so many good cars out there now for small money that unless it's something very niche, it's impossible to sell.

I have a Saab 9-3 listed which is 2007 with a 1.8 engine and NCT until August (granted it's high mileage), and I have very little interest and its listed for under €800!

Yeah figured the age would be an issue. Insurance companies are making it a nightmare. Have a potential viewing tonight so I'll see what happens.

That type of stuff is unfortunately worthless.

Insurance aside, there’s a lot more money around (Be it borrowed or not) and the desire for that stuff is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

A friend of a friend is selling a car and asked for advice, I told them pictures could be better. Anyone else got any advice? Price realistic?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2510299

• Advertisement

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    A friend of a friend is selling a car and asked for advice, I told them pictures could be better. Anyone else got any advice? Price realistic?

Of all the pictures, only 3 are of the outside of the car, and all 3 are more or less identical taken from the same spot, so yeah, I would go along with your comment. The pictures definitely do not show it off!

I'd say their asking price is bang on as far as average price for a private sale, although I have found in most cases that the sale price always ends up about 10% less, so I'm assuming they are listing at 21995, hoping to get 20k anyway

That link isn’t working for me for some reason. Everything else Carsireland is bar that ad

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Of all the pictures, only 3 are of the outside of the car, and all 3 are more or less identical taken from the same spot, so yeah, I would go along with your comment. The pictures definitely do not show it off!

I'd say their asking price is bang on as far as average price for a private sale, although I have found in most cases that the sale price always ends up about 10% less, so I'm assuming they are listing at 21995, hoping to get 20k anyway

Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on.
    That link isn’t working for me for some reason. Everything else Carsireland is bar that ad

That's concerning. Hopefully it's just the shortcut link that isn't working.

SE A6s are hard to sell as most buyers prefer the S Line. The colour unfortunately doesn't help it either.

Also asking price is too high, here is a 190bhp version with slightly lower mileage being sold by a dealer with a warranty who is asking 3k less:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2487313&r=s.php%3Fm%3D7%26o%3D45%26r%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

So just checked Carzone there. There’s a 162 Same car, nicer colour, similar mileage in a Franchie dealer for 23495.

Which one would you buy?

I would imagine the car needs to be priced at less than 20k to draw any attention at all.

• Advertisement

SE A6s are hard to sell as most buyers prefer the S Line. The colour unfortunately doesn't help it either.

Also asking price is too high, here is a 190bhp version with slightly lower mileage being sold by a dealer with a warranty who is asking 3k less:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2487313&r=s.php%3Fm%3D7%26o%3D45%26r%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0
    So just checked Carzone there. There’s a 162 Same car, nicer colour, similar mileage in a Franchie dealer for 23495.

Which one would you buy?

I would imagine the car needs to be priced at less than 20k to draw any attention at all.

So we talking about 17k to beat that dealer and get some attention? The car seems like an incredible bargain at that price given it has less that 33k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

So we talking about 17k to beat that dealer and get some attention? The car seems like an incredible bargain at that price given it has less that 33k miles.

I suppose when you get to the 20k mark people are willing to spend an extra 1-3k on the peace of mind from buying from a dealer with warrenty rather than private.

Has he got any quotes from dealers on a trade in price?
    I'd be interest to see how much they'd offer.

That type of stuff is unfortunately worthless.

Insurance aside, there’s a lot more money around (Be it borrowed or not) and the desire for that stuff is minimal.

Yeah I'm starting to think my best bet at this stage is the garage (if they'll still take it because that offer was at the start of the year) or scrap.

Yeah I'm starting to think my best bet at this stage is the garage (if they'll still take it because that offer was at the start of the year) or scrap.

Quick update: Sold her today through the ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Selling my 2016 Peugeot 2008 Petrol Allure on DoneDeal - donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-2008-allure-1-2-petrol-2016/24410051

I got a few messages from time passers. Boosted ad once but not much action. These are not many in cork and I seem to have priced reasonably well. Have reduced price from 11.5k down to 11k but no progress. Any inputs as to how can push it?
    Many thanks.

Buying a car is probably one of the last things on most people's minds right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SummerK wrote: »
    Have reduced price from 11.5k down to 11k but no progress. Any inputs as to how can push it?
    Many thanks.
    Remove the "N" label, and redo those shots. Also, as said, no-one is meeting other people at the mo.
    Car will be disinfected before handing it over to new owner.
    Doesn't do you any favours, tbh. I think the phrase "don't mention the war" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DOC40

Hi all, just wondering do you think its a crazy time now to even try to sell???

I have my 162 Avensis up on Donedeal but probably not a great time to sell!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-toyota-avensis-1-6-business-edition/24490869

Is it too costly or thereabouts???

I did think about trading in but don't think Im interested in paying about 35k for something decent but was thinking more of something about 2019ish!!

Here is a similar one from a dealer in Derry for less including VRT and Nox charge and a 12 month warranty:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2470754&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26o%3D726%26r%3D2016%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Others from Irish dealers too:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2464754&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26o%3D726%26r%3D2016%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2514228&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26o%3D726%26r%3D2016%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I cannot see someone giving a private seller 14k for one with no warranty or comeback. Also now is the worst time to be trying to sell. Buying a car is probably the last thing on a lot of people's minds at present.

Location will make it much harder to sell too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement