Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi all, just looking for some advice regarding naps. I've started trying to get him down for naps during the day and we've kind of fallen into a schedule the last few weeks. I've started to recognise his cues but when I bring him up to his cot I can't put him down straight away. I need to hold him for about ten minutes or so and calm him until he's just asleep and then I put him down. As for when I put him down to sleep at night I generally feed him and he drops off. Am I doing right? I don't want to give him habits which I think I might be but I'm not sure what other way to do it. He screams the place down if I put him down awake. Hopefully you might have some advice

All baby's are different. My little boy is 11 weeks and fights sleep all the time, it's awful. He takes 2-3 naps during the day. I keep an eye on the cues and usually need to sing/Rock him to sleep for a while. Same happens at night time. Some little ones don't know how to self soothe themselves to sleep. I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Spotty I was told by a friend to give cooled boiled water if baby is waking up purely to suckle for a minute in the middle of the night .. did it for the first time two nights ago and slept better the following night. Less interesting than mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

bp wrote: »
    Spotty I was told by a friend to give cooled boiled water if baby is waking up purely to suckle for a minute in the middle of the night .. did it for the first time two nights ago and slept better the following night. Less interesting than mammy

Nah, he's exclusively breastfed so doesn't need water, so I wouldn't be starting giving it just to "put him off" me. Half the time or more he just needs a cuddle rather than a feed anyway, seems to wake up upset.

I just gave water to break the habit !

Fair play still bf exclusively :-) I got to 16 weeks

Thanks :) He's an easy baby to feed, always has been, so that really helps. And I am too lazy, cheap and tired to even consider making bottles and paying for formula :P He's 20 weeks today so closing in on the ebf for 6 month mark, am delighted.

He doesn't wake to suckle/feed much though, he just jolts awake usually crying. He sleeps much better in the swaddle or bouncer for this reason, but I can't leave him in either overnight really!

• Advertisement

Baby went from 10pm to 5.30!!!! Unfortunately toddler fell out of bed at 3.30 but still baby slept!!!!

On a side note....had just clasped vest shut from a nappy change when I heard 'the' fart noise....off came the brand new now poppy nappy.

Oh my God he just it it again! Didn't even have pants on him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Think we are phasing out the night time bottle here, have gone 8pm-8am the past 3 nights with no feed ( please don't let me jinx it by writing it down:D)

This guy slept 7.30-midnight last night because he was in his bouncer, put him in bed and he woke every couple of hours til 7am. He's a big giant chubster, so heavy to lift now! Taking him to swimming classes this week, can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Baby4 wrote: »

Oh you poor thing - are you going back to work full time?

• Advertisement

I'm going back to work on Monday. Absolutely dreading it. Purely because I'm going to miss her so much. I haven't been without her for a day yet.
    I think there'll be a lot of the day spent in the toilet crying!

Oh no :-(

:(:(:(

Nothing like a good old nightmare about something happening the baby and subsequent jolting half awake thinking the baby isn't breathing beside you to really ruin some sleep, when he is actually sleeping and all :'( Always having dreams/frights like this. If we ever have another that is the only thing I hated about the newborn stage :(

Nothing like a good old nightmare about something happening the baby and subsequent jolting half awake thinking the baby isn't breathing beside you to really ruin some sleep, when he is actually sleeping and all :'( Always having dreams/frights like this. If we ever have another that is the only thing I hated about the newborn stage :(

Ugh I hate that! One of our duvet covers has a swirly pattern that in my half asleep state I kept thinking was her face gone all grey. It was horrific. I was terrified of something happening to her overnight so that's why she was in her cot at night from day one with the angelcare monitor on!

He was in a cot, but with going back to work, breastfeeding and him waking a lot we set up a way to cosleep if needed. This last few days he's been totally off form so has gone from sleeping happily on his space to wanting to sleep super close.

But then I have these dreams even when he's in a cot so it makes no difference. So at least this way I get bonus snuggles :)

Wrecked today but no work until Sunday so it's grand :) Gonna sit around for first nap time then start attacking this mess of a house.

she was in her cot at night from day one with the angelcare monitor on!

God bless the person who invented Angelcare monitors, great piece of mind:)

Boo baby4 :-(

I am so bloody tired...got to sleep after 9, up again at 11 and now it's 3am so have been up 4 hours and too annoyed/ awake to sleep

I'm loving life today. I can't believe this gorgeous boy is mine. It's tough balancing work with minding him, myself and my husband are working so much and taking turns sleeping that we are like ships in the night at the moment, but I don't mind. Work will ease up for both of us soon and this beautiful boy is just getting more fun and adorable by the day. I am so excited for autumn, and CHRISTMAS! :D

(I think I'm delirious from a long day's work)

• Advertisement

Aww poor baba! Do you get much time with her in the evening?

We have 4 month vaccinations tomorrow a little late because I forgot!

Ah poor little mite :-(

My little man is getting very attached to me so much so that he woke and I wasn't at home and he screamed the place down...poor daddy.

Still not sleeping - took 6 oz at 5pm and then another 5 at 7.30 and stl woke at 1.30 hungry.

I've definitely noticed my little girl is getting more attached to me too - we were in my parents last night and every time I left the room she complained and she sees them every second day pretty much!

We're just out of that mammoth 3/4 month leap and thankfully she has gone back to sleeping well. When she does wake I don't lift her as she's usually just moaning not crying and I can soothe her in her cot so I think that helped us as she realised there's no point waking up. Really looking forward to starting solids with her, only six more weeks

I'm going to do baby led weaning this time round as my son is an extremely fussy eater & I know it has a lot to do with how I weaned him.
    So I explained the premise of BLW to my sister, I then left babs with her to mind (2 biggest 'rules' waiting until 26 weeks & nothing goes into baby's mouth that they don't put in themselves) only to come home to be told she put some spaghetti sauce on babs soother & gave it to her cos she was staring at my son while he was eating his lunch...so annoying!!!!

My god Ms2011 people are so rude and crazy, why do they take these things upon themselves, basically saying the child's mother is wrong and they are right grrr.

Doing great here, he's loving swimming lessons and I've started Pilates where you can bring baby with you, it's great. The instructor said I have minimal abdominal muscle separation *beams* Work is going fine too. Spent the weekend having petty rows with husband over baby/work related things, the joys!

Still waking lots at night but it's doable. He's like regressing with feeding, he now looks for it for comfort and entertainment which he never did when he was little. Not that I mind, more lovely snuggles :)

That just seems weird! Who puts spaghetti sauce on a soother even if you were doing spoon feeds?!

In general I find the fact that some people use "baby watching you eat" as a cue to start weaning - she watches everything I do, should I buy her a phone too so she can text when she's watching me text?!

Oh I would be livid if I thought someone had done that! My MIL hasn't really minded my little one because even before she was big enough to mind being held by other people she just doesn't like her! She cries of MIL even speaks to her!!!

• Advertisement

Luckily my mil wouldn't dare give him something at this stage if I wasn't there....but I am always there, just in case :) He thinks mil is the funniest person ever, the belly laughs when she chats to him are too cute.

I'm also lucky that he's a big tall boy with lovely chubby rolls or I'm sure I'd be getting comments on starting on him on food or giving him formula. There was a moment when mil referred to formula as feeding "properly", my eyes nearly popped out of my head and she practically gobbled the words back in so all was forgiven :D

Can't wait to start trying foods with him, so exciting!

Advertisement