Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

phatkev wrote: »
    fcuking Jets! always up to no good, the bastards.

TBF i'd be all over the Jets if they were in this situation lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493268/article/aaron-rodgers-reigns-among-top-10-qbs-tom-brady-takes-a-hit

Somebody on NFL.com put an asterisk on Brady...jesus christ. So it begins...

No asterisk of Rivers for stickum, no asterisk for Bress for Bountygate, no asterisk for Roethlisberger DoubleRapeGate...what gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hazys wrote: »
    TBF i'd be all over the Jets if they were in this situation lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493268/article/aaron-rodgers-reigns-among-top-10-qbs-tom-brady-takes-a-hit

Somebody on NFL.com put an asterisk on Brady...jesus christ. So it begins...

No asterisk of Rivers for stickum, no asterisk for Bress for Bountygate, no asterisk for Roethlisberger DoubleRapeGate...what gives?

Retarded that they put the asterix there, but out of the players you named two of the scandals doesnt help them throw.

Also the patriots are a win at all costs team
    9like most others)they just aint very good at hiding it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's a good article up on NFL.com about the origins of the West Coast offense and (subsequently) the No huddle offense. Nothing particularly new in there but it is interesting nonetheless.

May be a tough read if you are a Bengals fan though!

http://www.nfl.com/ohioriveroffense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Robert Myers, the Ravens 5th round draft pick, has 33 inch quads. Holy **** :eek:

82d05087-d3a1-4898-b913-cd9cdedfad47_x365.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Saturday was officially halfway between last season's Super Bowl and next season's Thursday Night Opener.

108 days until the season opener.
    76 days until the first preseason game.

It's scary how many player arrests (or owner arrets if you're a Colts fan) and ACL tears you can fit into that time...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

108 days still?

God dammit.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jesus, didn't he miss all of 2013 as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Surprised it hasn't been posted but AP had a bit of a rant on Twitter yesterday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2479410-internet-reacts-to-adrian-petersons-twitter-rant-about-contract-with-vikings

Some of the replies are funny :P

Just goes to show you how effective good PR can be. This time last year, we all thought AP was a nice, humble guy. We were lauding his comeback from injury, and his fellow players has voted him Most Deserving of a Super Bowl win.

And now he's just another idiotic running back who's a massive tool. Certainly not the first, definitely not the last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I don't get APs rant. The NFL suspended him and the Vikings tried to support him. Their hand was forced by the NFL. Why all of a sudden his dislike for the organization that stood by him. When he got in trouble was he expecting to be dumped by them and now that never happened he is now angry and has to stick around. He is due to earn what 12m this season? What a moron.

JCTO wrote: »
    I don't get APs rant. The NFL suspended him and the Vikings tried to support him. Their hand was forced by the NFL. Why all of a sudden his dislike for the organization that stood by him. When he got in trouble was he expecting to be dumped by them and now that never happened he is now angry and has to stick around. He is due to earn what 12m this season? What a moron.

wants a big money extension, this will probably be his last year earning mega bucks, wanted to get more years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

wants a big money extension, this will probably be his last year earning mega bucks, wanted to get more years

Before he hit his kid he probably could have gotten it but Realistically now is anyone going to commit to larger contract with him now. Especially now he is being a child on Twitter about it he may find it hard. Unless the Vikes get what they want for him he wont get it I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

JCTO wrote: »

He's annoyed that there were people in the organisation he felt never stuck by him. In his head he's completely innocent of any wrong doing. There was a bit of tug of war last year when the story broke, some wanted to stand by him and let the NFL deal with it, while others were concerned by the PR side of it and wanted him suspended/released, somewhat brought about by sponsors like Raddison pulling the plug. Eventually the NFL stepped in and settled it. AP seems to be upset with said Vikings executives, while also reluctant to move back to Minnesota where there was a bit of vitriol against him last year.

His agent seems a bit childish, posting stupid pictures etc on twitter about the situation. Basically all the leverage is on the Vikings side. They're under no obligation to give him anything and it's he himself who's going to lose out if he doesnt play. I think theyve handled it well this year.

Ive been very disappointed by his acting up this year generally. I'd be willing to let the twitter rant slide though. What I took from it was, that he was shipping a bit of 'honor you're contract' type criticism. He was speaking out that NFL players regularly get left in the dirt by NFL sides, with ultimatums like 'restructure or be released'. Stuff like this by Peterson shouldnt be a surprise, given his comments about NFL players being like Slaves a few years back. I dont think he's referring to the Vikings this time, who havent threatened a pay cut by all accounts. He also probably doesnt fully understand the concepts between Guaranteed money, and the pie in the sky type contracts with little guaranteed money that rarely get fulfilled.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He's annoyed that there were people in the organisation he felt never stuck by him. In his head he's completely innocent of any wrong doing. There was a bit of tug of war last year when the story broke, some wanted to stand by him and let the NFL deal with it, while others were concerned by the PR side of it and wanted him suspended/released, somewhat brought about by sponsors like Raddison pulling the plug. Eventually the NFL stepped in and settled it. AP seems to be upset with said Vikings executives, while also reluctant to move back to Minnesota where there was a bit of vitriol against him last year.

His agent seems a bit childish, posting stupid pictures etc on twitter about the situation. Basically all the leverage is on the Vikings side. They're under no obligation to give him anything and it's he himself who's going to lose out if he doesnt play. I think theyve handled it well this year.

Ive been very disappointed by his acting up this year generally. I'd be willing to let the twitter rant slide though. What I took from it was, that he was shipping a bit of 'honor you're contract' type criticism. He was speaking out that NFL players regularly get left in the dirt by NFL sides, with ultimatums like 'restructure or be released'. Stuff like this by Peterson shouldnt be a surprise, given his comments about NFL players being like Slaves a few years back. I dont think he's referring to the Vikings this time, who havent threatened a pay cut by all accounts. He also probably doesnt fully understand the concepts between Guaranteed money, and the pie in the sky type contracts with little guaranteed money that rarely get fulfilled.
    If it's one thing that makes me hate a person is millionaires comparing themselves to slaves

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Paully D wrote: »
    Robert Myers, the Ravens 5th round draft pick, has 33 inch quads. Holy **** :eek:

82d05087-d3a1-4898-b913-cd9cdedfad47_x365.jpg
    Doubt if they are natural though, how long will it be before Myers is done for steroid use. They never seem to learn these type of guys.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/31/8693945/johnny-manziel-browns-byron-nelson-fan-water-bottle
    An eyewitness tells TMZ Sports that the two were yelling at each other when Johnny threw a water bottle “really hard” at the guy. And missed him.

At this, his friend yelled, “Nice throw, Johnny,” which didn’t go over so well with the quarterback, who charged at him.

That's absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    how long will it be before Myers is done for steroid use.

After the nonsense we've witnessed this offseason, it's pretty obvious the league isn't interested in the real cheaters - the steroid abusers & PED users.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Even better was this piece:
    According to a friend of Manziel, the quarterback politely declined the 18-year-old's request for an autograph repeatedly. At one point the fan allegedly grabbed Manziel from behind, and Manziel responded, "'Can you please not do that? Just please leave me alone.'"

I'm sure Manziel was that polite! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Whoever is advising Johnny needs to be fired as the whole optics of this incident(as minor as it seems) along with all the other crap he decided to do aren't helping his image and standing within the Browns organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

Manziel seems to have all the criteria to be yet another NFL has been. And I couldn't careless tbh.

Cam newton and the panthers agree to a 5 year $103 million deal with $67.7 in first three years of the deal. Cam got paid.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Cam newton and the panthers agree to a 5 year $103 million deal with $67.7 in first three years of the deal. Cam got paid.

Good news for Luck, Wilson and any other decent QB looking for a new contract

Decided to watch random games on gamepass as I did last season to get me back into the NFL after being out of the loop NFL wise for a few weeks, and I picked the lions patriots game from week 12 of last year at random. Not a bad game just coming up to the half. Pats lead 24-6 at HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Decided to watch random games on gamepass as I did last season to get me back into the NFL after being out of the loop NFL wise for a few weeks, and I picked the lions patriots game from week 12 of last year at random. Not a bad game just coming up to the half. Pats lead 24-6 at HT.

Undoubtedly, the worst Lions performance last year. Receivers dropping TD passes & the run D having an uncharacteristic bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

he could have gotten more tbh kap got about 126 million and i think tannihil got 90 something he's a better qb than either in my opinion and how much of it is guaranteed seems irrelevant as there not going to cut him anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

I don't get why players sign these loaded contracts or indeed teams give them out, especially to top players who think that they can actually hold out cause they are that good.

The players give out at the end of the contract that they are not making any money and hold out. AP's whole thing was that he wanted to "secure" his future as a viking and that he wanted to feel wanted by the organisation.

I mean you know when you sign in the first place that you are opening yourself up to being cut or playing for "free", if that's an issue then don't sign

Edit.. i do realise it allows clubs to cut players at the end of contract btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What do people reckon the best game of last season was? Think I'll watch a game tonight too, any suggestions?

Thinking...
    The wembley comeback game
    Giants V Cowboys featuring Beckham's catch
    Seahawks V Broncos (Superbowl rematch)
    Packers V Patriots ("the Superbowl preview")

Then in the playoffs...
    Seahawks/Packers or Patriots/Ravens

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What do people reckon the best game of last season was? Think I'll watch a game tonight too, any suggestions?

Jets@Titans week 15, was the stuff of legends

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Shedite27 wrote: »

Thinking...
    The wembley comeback game
    Giants V Cowboys featuring Beckham's catch
    Seahawks V Broncos (Superbowl rematch)
    Packers V Patriots ("the Superbowl preview")

Then in the playoffs...
    Seahawks/Packers or Patriots/Ravens

Seahawks Packers I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement