Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options
  • 10-06-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

does anyone know how many points hear scheme will take off for me? my course i applied for are 380,355 and 340 :) thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

It all depends on the amount of people going for your courses via the scheme etc.
    Look at this thread from last year. Someone was bumped off 25 points, another guy was forgiven whole 70 points.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056359541

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭darryl2010

thanks il check that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think I heard somehwere the max. is 70, but ya never know.
    I hope I get it, it'd be such a stress reliever!:L
    But although I live in a disadvantaged area I'm that few metres closer to what I wouldn't even call a town so I mighten't get it. My brother didn't for that reason.

hopefully ye do :) im in a disadvantged area aswell,so sometimes its actually a good thing hahah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

When do we find out if we get HEAR? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

You find out in late June/early July (:
    Didn't get it last year, so here's to hoping I get it this year (:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

What exactly defines a disadvantaged area?

Nitsuj wrote: »
    What exactly defines a disadvantaged area?

'You must live in an area in which there is concentrated disadvantage – in other words, an area where, for example, there is high unemployment and poverty and very few facilities for the community.'

I got that off the website.. Basically that :)

i should be grand so haha

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

'You must live in an area in which there is concentrated disadvantage – in other words, an area where, for example, there is high unemployment and poverty and very few facilities for the community.'

I got that off the website.. Basically that :)
    No clue if I'll get it. I live in a small town/village with a primary school, few shops and pubs... :(

• Advertisement

Is it in Dublin? I've a fair idea which places are classed as disadvantaged in Dublin.. I know when I applied last year, the place where I'm living wasn't classed at disadvantaged (:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Its usually between 10-15% of your points up to 50 points

says if you got 350 and you get 10% of that you have 385 points to play with its usually up to a maximum of 50 points extra though

so if my course wa 355 id get in with 305?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

darryl2010 wrote: »
    so if my course wa 355 id get in with 305?
    amm going by weather you get 10% or 15% you could also certain colleges wont accept you under hear scheme so have to see about your college

yeah the colleges i applied for all take students applying through hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BurntToaster

How do you know if you've qualified for the Hear Scheme or not? Do you get informed or do they just put you in the separate entry route?

Thanks for the help in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/apply.php

should know by late june:)

They send you out a letter, either it was late June/early July, can't remember. :L

But it basically says if you're eligible or not for it and if you're not, it says where you didn't meet the indicators and what to do if you wish to have the Hear peoples recheck it again. xD

Didn't get it last year, so I've no idea what it says if you're receiving it. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

The way it works is 5% of all course places are reserved for HEAR applicants. The CAO will take the person with the highest points of people on HEAR and bump them up to the points required, and so on until HEAR applicants fill the HEAR places.

You are not automatically entitled to a points reduction and therefore you should have tried to get as many points as possible. If HEAR was your main entry route to a course and you're expecting a points reduction of 100 points, for example. You will need to be in the first 5 percent of HEAR applicants who didn't make the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Just to let people know that have applied, rang the CAO today and was told letters were posted yesterday evening informing applicants if they have been successful.

So has anybody recieved theirs yet? Anybody waiting on a letter, very anxious myself to be honest...

• Advertisement

Rang the CAO today and was told letters were posted yesterday evening, thank God I cant wait to find out.

Anyone get theirs yet?

I'd say it'd be tomorrow when everyone gets their letters tbh.
    I'm just assuming they'll be here before the CAO closes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Just a quick question - if you do meet the entry requirements and are on the HEAR scheme, does that mean that you just go in the "normal" application route, and the HEAR places are reserved for those that did not get the points needed?

leaveiton wrote: »
    Just a quick question - if you do meet the entry requirements and are on the HEAR scheme, does that mean that you just go in the "normal" application route, and the HEAR places are reserved for those that did not get the points needed?

You could go on either tbh.

Just say you got more than enough for your first choice, then the HEAR points wouldn't be added and you'd be on the normal application route.
    But say in another scenario, you could be 10 points off of your first choice or whatever, then the HEAR added points will more than likely be added here and you'd be on the HEAR reserved places thing...

Sorry if it doesn't really make sense. :/:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Just say you got more than enough for your first choice, then the HEAR points wouldn't be added and you'd be on the normal application route.
    But say in another scenario, you could be 10 points off of your first choice or whatever, then the HEAR added points will more than likely be added here and you'd be on the HEAR reserved places thing...

Yep that makes perfect sense, thanks! :) I was just wondering about what would happen if you got more than enough points for the course.

I'd say it'd be tomorrow when everyone gets their letters tbh.
    I'm just assuming they'll be here before the CAO closes. :)

Well if they were posted yesterday they will most certainly be here by friday. Was just wondering if anyone here had recieved theirs as the woman on the phone said some people have.

What colleges/courses are people hoping to get through the scheme may I ask?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I applied for DARE. Not eligible for HEAR. Extremely nervous waiting for the letter. Have anticipated this day since I sent off all my forms last December! Hoping to get into Midwifery in UL. Although I feel like all my exams went really well (much much better than I ever could have thought they would), if I do not get DARE I feel like there will be more pressure on me even though the exams will be done. I will have a lot less hope of going to college. I'm getting so wound up over this, I'm not even sure if I'll sleep tonight. My "significant ongoing illness" as Access call it has impacted so much on my education that I feel it would be really unfair if I don't get DARE and I will spend the rest of summer in a cave. A tad over dramatic maybe, haha, but I just really really want this. :(

I've said this before, but I doubt I'll get HEAR.. Didn't get it last year, although alot has changed tbh from the past year, so maybe...

And if I magically ;P this year am eligible, my first course doesn't accept HEAR applicants.. So basically just fully need my points from the results. ;P
    Second one, journalism.. A few HEAR points would be nice, but then again I'm doubting I'll get it. :L

Did anyone here apply for the DIT access scheme? Same thing as HEAR, reduced points etc., but only for DIT courses. Haven't heard anything yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I've said this before, but I doubt I'll get HEAR.. Didn't get it last year, although alot has changed tbh from the past year, so maybe...

And if I magically ;P this year am eligible, my first course doesn't accept HEAR applicants.. So basically just fully need my points from the results. ;P
    Second one, journalism.. A few HEAR points would be nice, but then again I'm doubting I'll get it. :L

Did anyone here apply for the DIT access scheme? Same thing as HEAR, reduced points etc., but only for DIT courses. Haven't heard anything yet. :(

If it is anything like Mary I's access schemes, you won't actually find out until August when college places are being offered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Sorry but that's not true. If you get the points for the course, and you've been accepted by HEAR, you've gotten one of the HEAR places. In high demand courses, most of the HEAR places can go to people who already have the points and no-one can get a reduction.

HEAR isn't just about the points reductions, it's about the financial and educational assistance that's provided to you.

Advertisement