Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Points with the HEAR Scheme

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,
    I applied to the HEAR scheme to get into university. My course was 350 last year (points dropping over past few years) I only got 315 points. What are the chances of being admitted with those points?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

SeanFx wrote: »
    Hi,
    I applied to the HEAR scheme to get into university. My course was 350 last year (points dropping over past few years) I only got 315 points. What are the chances of being admitted with those points?

Thanks

I personally believe that there is a good chance that you will be accepted with those points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hmm I'm 25 off my course too, hopefully HEAR will help me out :) haha

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hmm I'm 25 off my course too, hopefully HEAR will help me out :) haha

Don't worry, you will get in.
    Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

Hey fellow HEAR buddies :P

I got 435 today. which was pretty good :D

I need either 485 or 460 depending on where I am going to study Nursing.

What are the chances of me getting in on these points with the HEAR scheme??

thanks guys xx

paul4green wrote: »

thanks guys xx

You are kind of in a similar situation to the OP, it all depends on weather or not many Hear students apply for the same course, if only few then you should get in if a lot of people did then you my not.

Good luck though!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Like I said in the other thread, HEAR bumped me up 70 points 2 years ago, so theres a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

10-20% of the points will be deducted. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SeanFx

10-20% of the points will be deducted. Good luck.

So is a 10% drop the minimum. My course is 350 points. 10% of that is 35 points.

I have 315 points and so I need 35 points, does this mean that I will get in, or is this just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I know there is Here and Dare or There or something. Which is which?

HEAR - Higher Education Access Route,
    mainly focuses on people with disadvantaged backgrounds, and parents who didn't go to third level.

DARE - is the Disability Access Route to Education,
    including things like ADD, dyslexia, Aspergers syndrome, and other learning, and physical disability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

So is a 10% drop the minimum. My course is 350 points. 10% of that is 35 points.

I have 315 points and so I need 35 points, does this mean that I will get in, or is this just a guess.

that is just a guess. you dont actully get more points but may get in on reduced points.

for arguments sake the college may save 5% of places for Hear students. if there is 600 places altogether that would mean 30 places are saved for HEAR students.

so they take the best 30 hear students.

got into HEAR aswell. happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Is the hear different for medicine? Or does it operate in the same way?

Where are people getting this 10% figure?
    I can't remember if I got in through HEAR, or DARE, as I applied for both. but I got in despite being 70 points short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Noodleworm wrote: »
    Where are people getting this 10% figure?
    I can't remember if I got in through HEAR, or DARE, as I applied for both. but I got in despite being 70 points short.

What course was that for if you dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lc1234

Is it hard to get hear...do u have to be from a severly disadvantaged area

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mizzstefan

Noodleworm wrote: »
    Like I said in the other thread, HEAR bumped me up 70 points 2 years ago, so theres a chance.
    Hey you said in one of your comment hear scheme bumped you up 70 points how many points did u get and how many points was the course cause i want to do nursing in dcu 440 points at the moment and have a plan on 390 points : ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nerd1

Lc1234 wrote: »
    Is it hard to get hear...do u have to be from a severly disadvantaged area

Disatvatantaged area is just one of the criteria.There is total of 5 -medical card/income/area etc...
    Your family icome has to be bellow 48K for 2 year before(at the time when you apply).And the amount of points you get bumped up depends on how many students applied to the same course through HEAR.Its demand and supply like in CAO system.Hear has about 15 %of college places .And it distributes them accordingly ,independently of CAO applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keith012

Hi lads i got 360 in my leaving hoping to do social science in ucc which 390 what are the odds of me being offered a place ? oh im accepted for hear :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

paul4green wrote: »

thanks guys xx
    Good chance my friend got 50 points push

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

Is there any chance of getting dentistry with 535? Im about 45 points short :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

keith012 wrote: »
    Hi lads i got 360 in my leaving hoping to do social science in ucc which 390 what are the odds of me being offered a place ? oh im accepted for hear :-)
    yes more lilkey to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keith012

olazbabes wrote: »
    yes more lilkey to get.

Advertisement