Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

jh79 wrote: »
    Your body can process a certain amount of toxins without it affecting your health.

For example someone who drinks a few units of alcohol a week would have as healthy a liver as someone who never drinks.

Have you considered juicing and upper tolerable levels of nutrients? Vitamins have the potential to be toxic too and juicing to excess could be a problem.
    I don't have any real issues with juicing after all it is just blending veg and is about as controversial as soup .

The benefits of juicing are vastly overstated by Joe Cross.

What's Juicing to excess??? Joe Juiced only for 60 days and suffered no vitamin related toxicity ............

So you admit that Juicing is not controversial then??? You would have no idea of the benefits of Juicing without actually trying it .........

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It is important to remember that before Joe started his Juice-only plan or shooting the movie that he had no idea if he could achieve his goals through Juicing or not ........ it was a personal experiment the result of which was that it did work!
    So there could hardly have been any pre-movie plan to promote anything (Juicing, Rebooting or particular Juicers) because what if at the end of the movie Joe hadn't achieved any of his goals???

Joe isn't a professional film-maker so if any company wanted to promote their product through filming a propaganda documentary then Joe Cross certainly would not have been a viable choice to push said propaganda ........
    For me it is an infomercial, it fails to really investigate possible benefits to juicing.

It actually shows the benefits of Juicing .........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

For me it is an infomercial, it fails to really investigate possible benefits to juicing.

fair enough comment tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Your body can process a certain amount of toxins without it affecting your health.

For example someone who drinks a few units of alcohol a week would have as healthy a liver as someone who never drinks.

Have you considered juicing and upper tolerable levels of nutrients? Vitamins have the potential to be toxic too and juicing to excess could be a problem.

I don't know, I'd be worried what the long term affects of following that may be. I'm in no way a perfect eater, I try my best but fall off the wagon often enough so would be nice to know it won't affect me too much when I do, but I still try keep as good as possible when I can ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

cormie wrote: »
    I don't know, I'd be worried what the long term affects of following that may be. I'm in no way a perfect eater, I try my best but fall off the wagon often enough so would be nice to know it won't affect me too much when I do, but I still try keep as good as possible when I can ;)
    I did it for 10 days out of curiosity and it's only vanity that is stopping me from doing it again, I didn't really have any excess fat to burn off so I was losing muscle mass. After the first hard couple of days I was buzzing, hadn't felt as energetic since I was a kid. I wasn't fat and have zero personal attachment to food but I'd imagine I wasn't in perfect health for my age. My wife is vegetarian and I only eat about 2 vegetables so she mostly just cooked for herself and I can't cook, I don't mean I cook badly I mean it literally so most days it was takeout from her dad's Greek restaurant or Pizza, burgers etc, was drinking about 2 liters of Coke a day, drink tea/coffee, been smoking since I was about 14, drinking (mostly binge drinking) since I was about 15 and inside all that was about a 7 year period where I'd take class A recreational drugs habitually every weekend (or more often).

Point being, having done the diet I thoroughly recommend it to everyone. It felt great to make such a significant leap towards good health and has change my outlook completely. I've dumped all the junk food and am even training now for a half marathon in the Swedish mountains.

• Advertisement

Good to hear, but just to clarify, from my post above, I meant following the notion that regular intake of alcohol etc won't affect your health as long as it's within the toxin processing limits and saying that although I eat healthy, I don't always manage to stick to it and that it's good to know that falling off the wagon may not negatively affect anything too badly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Here is a review of the sequel from the New York Post. Seems it is just more of the same , lots of testimonials but little substance ( much like the juice!). Think I'll give this a miss.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/19/joe-cross-spreads-gospel-of-juicing-in-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead-2/

Here is a review of the sequel from the New York Post. Seems it is just more of the same , lots of testimonials but little substance ( much like the juice!). Think I'll give this a miss.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/19/joe-cross-spreads-gospel-of-juicing-in-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead-2/

That reviewer should stick to reviewing movies (he didn't actually slam the new movie) and stop reviewing Juicing as he clearly has no idea what Juicing is all about .........

"Many studies have pointed out that juicing removes fiber" ......... no s**t!!! :D
    He forgot to mention (or doesn't know) that Juicing removes insoluble fibre and leaves the soluble fibre in the Juice :rolleyes:

Here are some reviews of the sequel from fandango.com ........... people who've seen the movie seem to love it!! I'm looking forward to seeing it myself :)

http://www.fandango.com/fatsick26nearlydead2_175284/movieoverview

Another review, this time from okdani.com ..........

http://www.okdani.com/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead-2-review-and-giveaway/

.......... the reviewer loved the movie too!

I'll take these reviews with a pinch of salt like I do most reviews (good, bad or indifferent) as I like to watch a movie, read a book, listen to an album etc. myself and decide if I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

That reviewer should stick to reviewing movies (he didn't actually slam the new movie) and stop reviewing Juicing as he clearly has no idea what Juicing is all about .........

"Many studies have pointed out that juicing removes fiber" ......... no s**t!!! :D
    He forgot to mention (or doesn't know) that Juicing removes insoluble fibre and leaves the soluble fibre in the Juice :rolleyes:

he probably reviewed it during his lunch at the Golden Arches ... :o

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    he probably reviewed it during his lunch at the Golden Arches ... :o

Very possible!! :D:D:D

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is showing on SkyLivingIt tonight at 10pm ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1 race2DeBottom

I find such many of the views posted in this discussion reflect society in this day and age. Every smart arse and nay sayer is willing to shoot something down that they don't understand. The simple knowledge which we all pretend to acknowledge are shot down when we see examples of there affects, because we are jealous of people's discipline in changing their lives.

The film is not scientific analysis of the health benefits of juice fasting or fasting in generally. The film is meant for people who can't be bothered understanding the logic behind the diet and just want to see the results. It is sadly used to see juicers, but that doesn't mean the concept behind it should also be thrown out.

Fasting is actually used within standard Western medicine to improve the affects of chemotherapy, it has shown significant symptom improvements (reduction of trigger events) in most auto-immune diseases, as most auto-immune diseases are linked to issues coming from the digestion system.

Juice diets are not the cure to all evils, but there is logic behind the concept. The digestion system uses a significant amount of energy breaking down food and toxins and because of it has less time for its healing function, it reduces the effort involved in nutrient absorption, allows the body more resources to carry out its normal healing.

I find such many of the views posted in this discussion reflect society in this day and age. Every smart arse and nay sayer is willing to shoot something down that they don't understand. The simple knowledge which we all pretend to acknowledge are shot down when we see examples of there affects, because we are jealous of people's discipline in changing their lives.

The film is not scientific analysis of the health benefits of juice fasting or fasting in generally. The film is meant for people who can't be bothered understanding the logic behind the diet and just want to see the results. It is sadly used to see juicers, but that doesn't mean the concept behind it should also be thrown out.

Fasting is actually used within standard Western medicine to improve the affects of chemotherapy, it has shown significant symptom improvements (reduction of trigger events) in most auto-immune diseases, as most auto-immune diseases are linked to issues coming from the digestion system.

Juice diets are not the cure to all evils, but there is logic behind the concept. The digestion system uses a significant amount of energy breaking down food and toxins and because of it has less time for its healing function, it reduces the effort involved in nutrient absorption, allows the body more resources to carry out its normal healing.

What is there to understand it is just putting fruit and veg into a blender for gods sake.

What is there to understand it is just putting fruit and veg into a blender for gods sake.

A juicer actually .......

I believe he was referring to the misunderstanding/ignorance/misconceptions of the effects of drinking freshly extracted fruit/vegetable Juice .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I think its as much about what you don't eat on a Juice fast. Similar results are seen in a variety of diets. 80 10 10, paleo diet, fully raw, low carb, Low GI etc, even water fasts.

All of those diets involve cutting out heavily processed carbs, sugar and (some) dairy. Diet has a huge effect on Autoimmune diseases so I think that scientists do not yet understand all nutrients needed for a natural human diet. Its clear that there are western diseases due to our diets that are often eradicated with a return to a natural primate diet.

Problem with a juice fast (and a lot of other diets) is what do you do in the long term? Gradual weight loss and exercise with the least processed diet as possible seems to be the way to go as you are developing good habits as opposed to a temporary regime that at some stage needs to change (usually leading to a return to old habits).

I think its as much about what you don't eat on a Juice fast. Similar results are seen in a variety of diets. 80 10 10, paleo diet, fully raw, low carb, Low GI etc, even water fasts.

All of those diets involve cutting out heavily processed carbs, sugar and (some) dairy. Diet has a huge effect on Autoimmune diseases so I think that scientists do not yet understand all nutrients needed for a natural human diet. Its clear that there are western diseases due to our diets that are often eradicated with a return to a natural primate diet.

Problem with a juice fast (and a lot of other diets) is what do you do in the long term? Gradual weight loss and exercise with the least processed diet as possible seems to be the way to go as you are developing good habits as opposed to a temporary regime that at some stage needs to change (usually leading to a return to old habits).

One of the effects of doing a Juice only plan for x amount of days are the cravings (both physical and mental) that develop ......... fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
    Of course if you go from any healthy lifestyle choice back to unhealthy lifestyle choices you will of course end up back were you started.

One of the effects of doing a Juice only plan for x amount of days are the cravings (both physical and mental) that develop ......... fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
    Of course if you go from any healthy lifestyle choice back to unhealthy lifestyle choices you will of course end up back were you started.

Do you mean it makes you crave good foods and in turn develop better habits?

• Advertisement

Do you mean it makes you crave good foods and in turn develop better habits?

Well the "better habits" going forward is down to the individual ............ but it certainly does make you crave healthy foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That is my experience from getting loads more fruit into my diet. I just realised there, I barely even eat biscuits/crisps etc. almost none now compared to quite a bit!

Fat , sick and nearly dead 2 is on tv3 at 7 tonight.

Also available on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

For me it was not even about the juice, the juicer, or losing weight.
    It was about restarting the digestive system, which is one of the main parts of our immune system.
    Fasting using veg (especially easy to digest veg) allows the body toget easier access to nutrients and alsoallows the gut to heal and flush out a back log (excuse the pun :P ) of toxins etc.
    I suffer for a digestive disorder which causes me to lose weight.
    Basically anti biotics destroyed my immune system in the gut and I suffer with chronic fatigue syndrome and previously severe depression 24/7.
    Now I am just a fair bit tired.

It's not about losing weight for me, I am slowly wasting away and will die young if i don't beat it and put that weight back on.
    what i need to do is a fair amount of time on a restricted diet of veg and probiotics(kefir) to rebalance the gut, a course of anti fungals when my body and all parasites are at their weakest. And pray they die before I do.
    This then gives the kefir time to take back control and allow me to eat things that will help me gain weight.
    The alternative is a meriad of incurable diseases and disorders ending in a painful death as my organs eventually collapse. Pick an incurable common disease or disorder and i can probably point to this as an alternative to dying young. This is just based on my research and experiments on myself. Everyone has to choose their own way.
    The documentary for me anyway, highlighted the importance of giving your digestive system a break to recover.

Sure it focussed on auto-immune and weight loss, but for people like me, this is the difference between life and death and to look at me you would think I was fit and healthy.. I was and am fairly fit, but healthy..no way...
    It's not just overweight people that can benefit from this method.
    I notice the difference every time I attempt a detox. The trick is doing such a thing over a longer period of time while under social and economic stress.
    This can also cause insanity for those who don't deal with it correctly :(
    It's the biggest, most censored conspiracy theory I know of. The medical holocaust that I am pretty sure I am not allowed to elaborate on.

Did anybody watch it?

Was a bit boring just endless testimonials and it came across as an infomercial to me.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Arthritis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There was one piece of the movie where they claimed a child was cured of arthritis by juicing but according to the NHS , childhood arthritis often improves with age.

Apart from that nothing too controversial.

Did anybody watch it?

Was a bit boring just endless testimonials and it came across as an infomercial to me.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Arthritis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There was one piece of the movie where they claimed a child was cured of arthritis by juicing but according to the NHS , childhood arthritis often improves with age.

Apart from that nothing too controversial.

I agree with you. The second one was not the best. On the case of the child with arthritis there are plenty of examples of people putting arthritis and other autoimmune diseases into remission with fasts and restricted diets (at all ages). I have some experience of this myself.

I had hoped that the documentary would be following the progress of other people who transformed their lives with fasting for the first part and then move onto the benefits of a natural whole food diet afterwards. I found the documentary to be very wishy washy and infomercial like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Torakx wrote: »
    F
    It's the biggest, most censored conspiracy theory I know of. The medical holocaust that I am pretty sure I am not allowed to elaborate on.

Torakx, have you had your adrenals checked? Don't get the bog standard blood test for this, you need to get a saliva test (4-6 samples over 24 hours). This doctor seems to have a good patient-centred approach:
    http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/is-dr-fionnula-mchale-the-future-of-medical-care-i-make-healthy-people-healthier-with-functional-medicine-31168341.html

I agree with you about the medical conspiracy and I know of a retired doctor who would tell stories that would make your hair stand on end. When he was in practice he had a patient centered approach but he felt that it was getting more difficult to focus on the patient as time went on. Those who have a patient-centred approach now are accused of pseudoscience even if the patients say they feel better!

Torakx wrote: »

I'm really curious now,check with a mod , can't be that controversial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

unless it's breaking the charter, feel free to go ahead and post it - I'm intrigued at least :)

Advertisement