Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I think this thread should be locked and a footnote included to remind people that this is 2015 and G 'n' R have no place in it. For a band with a seminal debut album they have left a pathetic legacy behind them.

Sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think this thread should be locked
    I dont.
    and a footnote included to remind people that this is 2015
    Id say everyone posting knows that.
    and G 'n' R have no place in it.
    Even if they didnt, discussion certainly has. For those not interested, dont look.
    For a band with a seminal debut album they have left a pathetic legacy behind them.
    Yes, the wheels came off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I honestly wonder what 2016 could bring for GNR. I don't know anymore whether they'd even benefit from another new studio album.

Back in 2002 it was all about the infamous nature of this unreleased album and the riots started because of the late appearances onstage.

Really, GNR have done it all now in the last few years once again, save for perhaps a full scale US tour again in big arenas...they're "good behaviour" has led to less media friendly coverage then ever before. The fact is that GNR only seem to be fuelled when there is something to speculate about. I have a number of Kerrang magazines from the early 90's in fairly decent condition and the covers are particularly littered with Axl Rose and Metallica interviews...I have the issue where he did his infamous interview with Mick Wall that led to Mick being mentioned on 'Get In The Ring' - but back in those days you couldn't survive a week without another GNR rumour.

Now...not so much...

If the band were to "leak" some of the new songs they've been working on that have never been released, perhaps that would spark something, but if not I think they've reached their ceiling.

I recently purchased a red hand Chinese Democracy on CD for £250 (or whatever that is in Euro) from a guy in California. My parents thought I was mad - they agreed to look after it for a little while when I was moving house - and I was frankly astonished I got this version of the album so cheap! I remember when that "mistake" was first discovered, and they were going for a thousand and what not. The album means something to me, this particular version especially, but beyond collector's value has little significance I'd imagine.

Come to think of it, I don't even own a CD player anymore....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Given your user name Motley Crue, do you remember the bust up Axl had with Vince Neil? It came to a stage where one was challenging the other to a televised fight :D You just don't get that these days......

edit found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjORBEhQ6m0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I recently purchased a red hand Chinese Democracy on CD....

What is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ozzy jr wrote: »
    What is this?

This is the Red Hand cover..

24w83zs.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Irish glamour sites her.ie, the liberal etc are reporting about a potential reunion tour.

People getting excited all ready, get the oil out for the wheels on the bandwagon lol

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    This is the Red Hand cover..

24w83zs.png

Is indeed. Once I get it all sorted I'll take a few photographs or a video and post it up here. Lovely piece, artistically

Is indeed. Once I get it all sorted I'll take a few photographs or a video and post it up here. Lovely piece, artistically

Aye it is, have it as the album art on iTunes, quiet a few different covers on Google Images.. Would have preferred the Red Hand or the Grenade cover instead of the cover the was OK'd..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Irish glamour sites her.ie, the liberal etc are reporting about a potential reunion tour.

People getting excited all ready, get the oil out for the wheels on the bandwagon lol

That's a Glastonbury 2016 headliner sorted then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They're making a story out of absolutely nothing. Click bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

It would make my (musical) life to see the full line up live! First band I ever got into when I was about 9 years old. love them to this day!

seachto7 wrote: »
    They're making a story out of absolutely nothing. Click bait.

And yet gullible suckers fall for it, every single time..

And yet gullible suckers fall for it, every single time..

Not one original or current member of guns n roses has said anything about a reunion tour

Have a feeling axel will make a statement saying no reunion

shansey wrote: »
    It would make my (musical) life to see the full line up live! First band I ever got into when I was about 9 years old. love them to this day!

This includes, for the record, Steven Adler?

I mean this particular original line up only ever made one album (Lies was two EP's thrown together at the label's insistence)

I'm always curious when people say they would "give their insert prized body part here" to see the "original line up of Guns N' Roses" what they actually mean, or what would really suffice

I mean, if Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff walked onstage and they brought some young buck with them behind the drumkit, would you kick off because it wasn't THE original lineup and refuse to go? Or go and kick off online?

Likewise, if it were Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby Clarke and then maybe Dizzy, Chris Pitman, Ron Thal and Frank Ferrer and they mixed it up a bit between old and "current" line up, would you still refuse to purchase a ticket because Izzy wasn't there? Or would you buy one knowing, and accepting, that Izzy is only ever likely to come on for a handful of songs anyway and probably won't play a full gig...

One memory I have from Guns N' Roses was in 2006. I went to Wembley Arena to see them two nights in a row. On the first night I ended up leaving (because of the lack of public transport) about 40/50 minutes into their set to get back to my hostel. I went on the second night but when I turned up there was a lot of talk of tube strikes and problems so I sold my ticket to a guy on the door, took the cash and went off into London

On that first night, as I was leaving the building, this was the song being performed - the only time they ever performed this track - I was singing it all evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

This includes, for the record, Steven Adler?

I mean this particular original line up only ever made one album (Lies was two EP's thrown together at the label's insistence)

I'm always curious when people say they would "give their insert prized body part here" to see the "original line up of Guns N' Roses" what they actually mean, or what would really suffice

I mean, if Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff walked onstage and they brought some young buck with them behind the drumkit, would you kick off because it wasn't THE original lineup and refuse to go? Or go and kick off online?

Likewise, if it were Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby Clarke and then maybe Dizzy, Chris Pitman, Ron Thal and Frank Ferrer and they mixed it up a bit between old and "current" line up, would you still refuse to purchase a ticket because Izzy wasn't there? Or would you buy one knowing, and accepting, that Izzy is only ever likely to come on for a handful of songs anyway and probably won't play a full gig...

One memory I have from Guns N' Roses was in 2006. I went to Wembley Arena to see them two nights in a row. On the first night I ended up leaving (because of the lack of public transport) about 40/50 minutes into their set to get back to my hostel. I went on the second night but when I turned up there was a lot of talk of tube strikes and problems so I sold my ticket to a guy on the door, took the cash and went off into London

On that first night, as I was leaving the building, this was the song being performed - the only time they ever performed this track - I was singing it all evening

Not sure if Adler would be up to the gig anymore. you do pose a tricky question.. I think I would be ok with it if Matt Sorum played drums and if Gilby replaced Izzy. Would prefer Izzy for the couple of songs he sang. Basically any mix of the appetite/use your illusions albums would keep me happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

shansey wrote: »
    Not sure if Adler would be up to the gig anymore. you do pose a tricky question.. I think I would be ok with it if Matt Sorum played drums and if Gilby replaced Izzy. Would prefer Izzy for the couple of songs he sang. Basically any mix of the appetite/use your illusions albums would keep me happy!

So that's basically the use your illusion line up doing what they did from 91 to 93 ? I'd be cool with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think I read somewhere that Sorum has said he wouldn't be happy with doing a reunion tour unless Adler was involved someway, I'd say it's be 2 drummers, with Adler playing the Appetite songs.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Given your user name Motley Crue, do you remember the bust up Axl had with Vince Neil? It came to a stage where one was challenging the other to a televised fight :D You just don't get that these days......

edit found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjORBEhQ6m0

wwe or wcw could of done it on one there ppvs. imagine Hulk hogan in Axls corner and some like ric flair in vinces corner.

it was all a bit silly and cocaine filled rivalry

• Advertisement

wwe or wcw could of done it on one there ppvs. imagine Hulk hogan in Axls corner and some like ric flair in vinces corner.

it was all a bit silly and cocaine filled rivalry

That would be incredible. Vince could use the money. He'll no doubt spend what he earns on this last European jaunt by the middle of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

For what it's worth, Gilby Clarke is doubtful about a reunion happening

http://www.alternativenation.net/ex-guitarist-doubts-guns-n-roses-reunion-would-take-part/

Also saw these quotes from Steven last week. Why does he do these things?
    I'd say he's having a hard time staying sober and is already beginning the blame game for when he does fall off the wagon!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-roses-steven-adler-slash-and-duff-mckagan-dont-believe-i-am-21-months-sober/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The reunion rumours are back again. Duff's wife's best friend has said its happening in the next few days. I'd still be surprised if anything happens, mostly due to egos.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The reunion rumours are back again. Duff's wife's best friend has said its happening in the next few days. I'd still be surprised if anything happens, mostly due to egos.
    it sounds like something u would hear on a bar stool. Duffs Wifes Best Friend said it. would love it to happen but they would of been a download headliner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

it sounds like something u would hear on a bar stool. Duffs Wifes Best Friend said it. would love it to happen but they would of been a download headliner

Saw the video somewhere. Duff's missus and her friend were sloshed after some party and were being harassed by paps on the street. Not the most convincing of evidence for a reunion.

EDIT: Found it.

http://loudwire.com/longtime-friend-duff-mckagan-wife-guns-n-roses-is-coming-back/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No they wouldn't, why would the biggest reunion for years play their first gigs at a festival where they get a flat fee, IF it did happen they'd play their own standalone stadium show (s) where they get ALL of the gate receipts.

Maybe a year or 2 down the line they'd play Download and other similar festivals

• Advertisement

Croke Park or slane hear I'd say

so no reunion then ??. will be some let down if the current Guns tour again

I would laugh if it was the current Guns that are gearing up to tour again & not the original line up :pac:

I would laugh if it was the current Guns that are gearing up to tour again & not the original line up :pac:
    more 20 min guitar solos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The GNR social media pages are run by a total retard.

And said person is fuelling the ''rumours'' and getting everyone's hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

so no reunion then ??. will be some let down if the current Guns tour again

I think the current GnR would struggle to tour while lacking 2 guitarists!

Imagine a 3arena show with the original line up. Hope they don't do a Micheal Jackson and do a run of shows in London or somewhere (well the planned shows). Unless they have been rehearsing secretly they won't be touring til July at the earliest and mite not hit Europe till 2017.

What European festivals are they going to headline ???. Almost all the festivals have announced there headliners

What European festivals are they going to headline ???. Almost all the festivals have announced there headliners

I'm sure if festival promoters got news of a reunited Guns, they'd gladly accomodate them by jigging around the days schedule..

Was the slane show in 1992 a sort of end to Catholic Church dominated Ireland ??

I'd say a few older Irish people back then were unhappy with a load of drunks/drug addicts playing here.

Was only 2 years of age myself back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Was the slane show in 1992 a sort of end to Catholic Church dominated Ireland ??

I'd say a few older Irish people back then were unhappy with a load of drunks/drug addicts playing here.

Was only 2 years of age myself back then

Drunks and drug addicts in Ireland. That must have come as a shock to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I was at the show I was 16 was about 3 deep back from the 2nd barrier on duff and gilbys side when they came on to nighttrain I was lifted of my feet and moved about 10 ft I lasted about 3 songs trying to stay on my feet with out getting trampled on then had to get out of there it was bedlam watched the rest of the show from the comfort of the hill
    I don't think their drug use and addictions were as widely known then to be honest as rock stars you expected a bit of it but until I read the books I didn't realise the extent of their addictions

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rumor-guns-n-roses-reunion-wont-be-all-original-members/

would not be a bad lineup. I just want to see Axl and Slash on stage together again

• Advertisement

Not a bad lineup to be fair, Fortus for Izzy is understandable, wouldn't be too keen on Ferrer being behind the kit.

rumours seem to have died off in the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/report_gnr_reunion_will_be_officially_confirmed_next_week.html

they might not play ireland til 2017. Id say Leeds and Reading will be a uk/ireland exclusive for 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Think the air of nostalgia is making people forget that Axl just can't sing anymore. Not against the idea of the original line up coming back together for some shows, it'll sell out no matter where they play, but Axl's voice is shot these days.

Think the air of nostalgia is making people forget that Axl just can't sing anymore. Not against the idea of the original line up coming back together for some shows, it'll sell out no matter where they play, but Axl's voice is shot these days.

I do agree with ''the air of nostalgia'' but in regards ''Axl just can't sing anymore ''and Axl's voice is shot these days'' keep in mind, Axl hasn't been seen in well over a year, so who knows maybe when the current line up disintegrated earlier this year, he spent that time getting his **** together physically & vocally..

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking/hoping on my part..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I do agree with ''the air of nostalgia'' but in regards ''Axl just can't sing anymore ''and Axl's voice is shot these days'' keep in mind, Axl hasn't been seen in well over a year, so who knows maybe when the current line up disintegrated earlier this year, he spent that time getting his **** together physically & vocally..

I think it's wishful / delusional thinking on everyone's part.
    He's not that mid twentys straight of sunset blv angry rock star any more. And the style of singing raspy covering more octaves that Maria Carey boot to the headlight energy can't be good for the aul vocal cords surley done some permanent damage between 86' and 93' then trying to recreate it on last few tours would of knocked it for six altogether
    Would love to be proven wrong and he's achieved this amazing turnaround
    The thing about gnr is there isn't a doubt musically they'll sound record perfect but the sound was defined or crowned by Axls style of singin from 86-93 after that be it Scott weiland myles Kennedy or even present era Axl himself it just sounds like a cover band. A really good cover band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I'd like to think along those lines that maybe he has gotten his act together in that time, but I doubt it. He's hardly come across as the consummate professional these past few years. For the sake of the enormous price these tickets will inevitably cost, he'd want to get his act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

When Axl runs around like a 25 year old, his voice is often crap. But that's the kind of showman he is. He feels like he has to be moving which in turn effects his voice. Last time they played here his voice was great (not late 80's/early 90's great but nobody can keep that standard 25 years later) because he was standing still and sulking rather than running around. If he could tone that down, his voice would improve instantly. I don't think he realises he is 54 soon and can't be running around like that anymore without it being a big negative to his performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd take this sounding axl no bother. this whole concert is on youtube and maybe it has something to do with duff being there but axl sounds great.

Advertisement