Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Got my 2gb G3 earlier in the week. Awesome phone and excellent battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Yes, battery is a revelation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭nc6000

How good is the battery life on the G3? Would you get 2 or 3 days on a charge?

nc6000 wrote: »
    How good is the battery life on the G3? Would you get 2 or 3 days on a charge?

Haven't run it to empty yet, but suspect 2 days would be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Does this phone come unlocked from amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Exclusive/dp/B014KT0KWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1453494518&sr=1-1&keywords=moto+g

Also is it the best place to buy the 16gb model?
    Comes in at about €230.

JR6 wrote: »
    Does this phone come unlocked from amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Exclusive/dp/B014KT0KWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1453494518&sr=1-1&keywords=moto+g

Also is it the best place to buy the 16gb model?
    Comes in at about €230.

I'm guessing SIM-free would be unlocked as it is sold by Amazon themselves not a 3rd party or network.

It's €179.99 on the Meteor site but it doesn't say if it's the 8GB or 16GB:

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/motorola-moto-3G

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

I'm guessing SIM-free would be unlocked as it is sold by Amazon themselves not a 3rd party or network.

It's €179.99 on the Meteor site but it doesn't say if it's the 8GB or 16GB:

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/motorola-moto-3G

Yeah thats the 8gb as it mentions the 1gb ram.

Thanks.

JR6 wrote: »
    Yeah thats the 8gb as it mentions the 1gb ram.

Thanks.

I didn't realise the 16GB had twice the RAM of the 8GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Great phone - I got my 16GB on ebay for a bargain price - delighted with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Argos are stocking the 2gb ram model now for €249. Dunno if its worth it at that price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

So has anyone elses free 50GB storage space expired or is expiring soon?

I'm actually surprised Google is enforcing this, bit of a balls having to delete a lot of stuff in order to be able to upload again.

This was a promotion with the first gen just in case people are wondering why they didnt get their 50gb free storage, not sure if it ran on with the other generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Doe anyone know if there is any way to order this direct from Motorola ?
    Can't use Parcel motel or an ROI delivery address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

will56 wrote: »
    Doe anyone know if there is any way to order this direct from Motorola ?
    Can't use Parcel motel or an ROI delivery address

You could try using ParcelWizard instead, let us know on the thread if it works or not.

Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen) 5" working out at less than €150 delivered from Expansys and a free Motorola Shell.

I think that's a good deal and might pick one up.

http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-g-2nd-gen-4g-black-275412/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen) 5" working out at less than €150 delivered from Expansys and a free Motorola Shell.

I think that's a good deal and might pick one up.

http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-g-2nd-gen-4g-black-275412/

Note, this is the 8GB 1GB RAM model.

• Advertisement

Pointless buying a 1gb ram phone, Facebook Viber etc etc are using more ram these days so you need the 2gb ram models.

quarryman wrote: »
    Note, this is the 8GB 1GB RAM model.

It's the 2nd gen which only came with with 8GB storage and 1GB RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is a 3rd gen version which is 8gb / 1gb too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

It's the 2nd gen which only came with with 8GB storage and 1GB RAM.

I had thought so too, but according to wiki, there is 1GB 16GB version.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

The 3rd Gen 16GB 2GB RAM version is 220 on Expansys. Is this still considered a good buy or is there anything else on the horizon to wait out for? I'll be moving from the 2nd gen. I love the wide angled-ness of the camera and the 3rd gen seems to be an update on this. A big requirement would be an increase from 8 to 16GB main storage - playing a constant game of shuffle with apps having only 8gb at the moment. The screen is good for me, not too pushed on a mega HD resolution. Moving up to 4G capability is another plus. Worth the purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Is the 2gb ram memory version worth the extra expense.

TIA

stanley1 wrote: »
    Is the 2gb ram memory version worth the extra expense.

TIA

I would personally go with the 2gb ram model so the phone won't bog down on you. It will make it much more useable with all your background social networking apps staying open as opposed to closing secretly and you not getting your notifications and what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've got the 1GB model and I do wish I had gotten the 2GB one, it's a bit sluggish for sure.

Having had the MotoG2 1/8 and now have the MotoG3 2/16 there is no comparison. Get the 16gb version, anything less I would not even consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just dropped my first gen, smashing the screen glass but the touch and display still working perfectly. Anyone know how difficult a replace it is? Can I order the parts online or leave it to be done somewhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EoinAFC

Having bought the 1GB RAM 8GB model due to impatience at amazon not having stock i regretted this decision after about a week. The phone will freeze and simple tasks such as taking pictures can be sluggish. 8GB isn't enough memory especially with lollipop taking up so much storage and the fact that not all applications can run on the SD Card does make this phone quite disappointing. Due to almost maxing out the storage this too adds to the sluggishness of the phone. Spend the extra few euro and buy the 16GB 2GB Ram version. All reviews are based on this and honestly i wish i had of followed their advice.

Mg gf just bought the 2gb ram model from Argos. Multitasks fine.... 1gb ram model would surely be crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Just dropped my first gen, smashing the screen glass but the touch and display still working perfectly. Anyone know how difficult a replace it is? Can I order the parts online or leave it to be done somewhere in Dublin?
    Did exact same thing with mine this afternoon, out walking the dog and dropped it on the footpath. I'm in Waterford and I went into a couple of the repair places this evening and was quoted between €70 - €90 for replacement screen. Nearly cheaper to get a new phone :-)

When will people see a 4th gen moto g? When did the 3rd gen come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EoinAFC

For anyone wondering, i smashed my screen on Saturday i was quoted 130 euro today to fix. Not worth fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

EoinAFC wrote: »
    For anyone wondering, i smashed my screen on Saturday i was quoted 130 euro today to fix. Not worth fixing.

I fixed the screen of a Moto G (1st generation) following a video similar to this on youtube
    I ordered the glass on Aliexpress - something like USD 25.

The trick was to get the one where the glass is already glued to the digitizer, then it's much easier.
    But if you go cheap, and buy the glass separate, it involves melting the glue around the digitizer etc to detach the old glass, and then glueing on the new glass, and hoping that you don't get a dead pixel. Damned if i was going to do that just to save a few euro.

I did have to buy the small size screwdriver from Amazon for about EUR5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Has anyone had the Marshmallow update yet ?

I'm seeing several people on reddit with a Moto G 3rd Gen saying they received it, just wondering if there's anything known about a general release date in Ireland ?

I'm seeing several people on reddit with a Moto G 3rd Gen saying they received it, just wondering if there's anything known about a general release date in Ireland ?

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Not yet, after the lollipop fiasco won't be rushing into it either.

Has anyone found an app/workaround for the lack of a notification light on the 3rd gen moto G (16GB model) Really miss it!!

Has anyone upgraded to marshmallow yet - I just received a popup to say it was available for download - bit cautious TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

tiegan wrote: »
    Has anyone upgraded to marshmallow yet - I just received a popup to say it was available for download - bit cautious TBH

never be first

Google first and see has anyone got burned, or wait and see does anyone come :mad: on here lol.

Doe anyone else find that they drop data connection and it won't reconnect ?
    I have phone signal but no data

Just seems to happen randomly too

Phone was bought sim free from Amazon and its on Meteor PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

My mum has a 1st gen moto G and it's become painfully slow

I was thinking of getting her a 3rd gen moto g.

Would there be a better phone for the price of the moto g?

Anybody who has bought the 3rd gen moto g, how do you find it?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Cheers

I had a first gen for two years, and just upgraded to the 16GB 3rd gen. I love it and the 4G speeds very fast in my area.

Cheers

I like it, it's a simple phone, does what it has to do very well. Don't expect miracles, but for that price I think you'd struggle to find much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Do you know where the cheapest place to buy a 3rd gen would be?

Amazon or somewhere else?

Cheers

Cheers

Amazon is the cheapest for the 2gb/16gb model, even with the awful Sterling conversion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Cheers
    did u ever format the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

will56 wrote: »
    Amazon is the cheapest for the 2gb/16gb model, even with the awful Sterling conversion

Sterling rates are not so bad over the last days & weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

For anyone looking for unlocking i'd recommend this ebay seller. Got a near instant response. Code 100%

http://www.ebay.ie/usr/mobunlockingmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Happened on a segment on channel 5 gadget show last night. 4 people compared 4 phones, the 3rd gen moto g, Sony Ericsson m, one plus and can't remember the last one. Moto g came out on top in spite of being the cheapest phone. An unscientific survey, but interesting none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Cheers

I've a first gen Moto G, since my HTC One got broken.
    My gf had the Moto G but she upgraded coz it was slow, similar to yours.

I did a factory reset and now its perfect.

Actually I did more than a factory reset. I followed the guides on XDA to return the phone to stock which included the very latest software for the phone. Give that a go. I've had it goin since before xmas and its still silky smooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭hdl

I'm thinking of buying the 3rd gen Moto G now. Would anyone who has it recommend it, or would I be better off waiting for the 4th gen to come out? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone with a 3rd gen updated to marshmallow yet? Keep getting the notification and it's annoyingly tempting :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement