Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Leixlip and Celbridge are closest. Leixlip is roughly 6-7 minutes on the train and a return ticket is 4 something. It's cheaper to take the bus but it takes a little longer.

Celbridge is further away and can only be accessed by bus. It might be easier to find accommodation there as not many students are interested in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hey - we have a double room going in our house (325 euro per month, not including bills). Perks include UPC internet & telly and some very lovely, laidback housemates. About 25 mins walk from campus, 10 mins from train station, 5 mins from bus stop.

The three of us are in our mid-20s and working (I'm doing a postgrad too), so we (and the landlord) would really prefer someone who is working or are postgrad/mature students.

The room won't be available for a week or two yet, but send a PM if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mcweevil77

Seren_ wrote: »
    Hey - we have a double room going in our house (325 euro per month, not including bills). Perks include UPC internet & telly and some very lovely, laidback housemates. About 25 mins walk from campus, 10 mins from train station, 5 mins from bus stop.

The three of us are in our mid-20s and working (I'm doing a postgrad too), so we (and the landlord) would really prefer someone who is working or are postgrad/mature students.

The room won't be available for a week or two yet, but send a PM if you're interested.

Thanks i will be interested but doing anything here is a complete nightmare (similar to housing in Maynooth) and cannot find how I can PM you

Mcweevil77 wrote: »
    Thanks i will be interested but doing anything here is a complete nightmare (similar to housing in Maynooth) and cannot find how I can PM you

I sent you a message there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cryptogramm

Hi -- I'm moving to Maynooth to start a research position at the university on 1st April (will be moving before that). I'm looking for some shared accommodation (ideally not in the middle of nowhere, but I've never been to Maynooth, so not sure how far away counts...), or for some other people looking for shared accommodation with whom I could rent a house. I'll be in Maynooth on 27th or 28th of February to look round and try to find a place, if anyone can give me any leads (and/or is also looking for a house).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mcweevil77

I am in maynooth for 3 days now and probably it is the most difficult to stay I the whole ireland I cannot even find a by&b in this place. Absolutely ridiculous!!!!!

I would advise now that to everyone moving in here and being from abroad to be very careful and proactive. On the other hand people seem to be nice albeit completely dis organised

• Registered Users Posts: 2 disappointed parent

There is no way I would recommend to any prospective students or their parents to apply to NUIM. This is due to the lack of sufficent accomodation for students in the area, especially for young males. My son has been commuting since Sept leaving his home every morning at 7am and not getting home until 8pm at night. No internet access on his bus so a waste of 4 hours daily, and shattered every evening, needless to say he is considering transferring for 2nd year. Accomodation officer has been unhelpful. It seems to me that students who live within a 30min commute should not be considered for on campus accn until the demand for those commuting longer distances have been sorted out.:eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

There is no way I would recommend to any prospective students or their parents to apply to NUIM. This is due to the lack of sufficent accomodation for students in the area, especially for young males. My son has been commuting since Sept leaving his home every morning at 7am and not getting home until 8pm at night. No internet access on his bus so a waste of 4 hours daily, and shattered every evening, needless to say he is considering transferring for 2nd year. Accomodation officer has been unhelpful. It seems to me that students who live within a 30min commute should not be considered for on campus accn until the demand for those commuting longer distances have been sorted out.:eek::mad:

Has he tried here??

https://www.maynoothcampus.com

College rooms available on a nightly basis costing €27, cheaper if sharing with someone. You would need to book a week or so in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 disappointed parent

yes he has stayed a few nights there, but the problem is, that its very difficult to get a block booking for 4 or 5 nights plus if one isn't sharing it works out very expensive, maybe the collage president or board of management should approach the seminary and see if thy have accomodation available for the students

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Yeah i think there is a serious accommodation shortage in Maynooth thats only going to get worse. i think the college should look into buying/ building student apartments in Leixlip/Kilcock/Celbridge if it isnt possible to buy/build anymore in Maynooth. Then run an hourly (free) bus service to and from college from this accommodation. This is way students have the college experience of living with people the same age plus they have transport.

My friends lived in accommodation like this in NUIG and it was great. Just an idea because I know so many people who have to commute from severe distances. :/

There's a campaign set up by local residents, students and workers to raise awareness of the housing crisis in Maynooth called The Rent is Too Damn High - facebook page / blog

It was launched a while back, but getting going properly now. Send on any accounts you have re: landlord issues/not being able to find accommodation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Anybody know if offers for The Quiet Zone accommodation have issued yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NicolaB94

Does anyone know if a list or anything comes out soon of houses for rent or rooms for next year, cos I want to move out of the place I am currently in. I'm in first year....

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

NicolaB94 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a list or anything comes out soon of houses for rent or rooms for next year, cos I want to move out of the place I am currently in. I'm in first year....
    Last year off campus housing list was out mid April (24th I think) but you have to get it quick cause most of the rooms/houses will be gone within few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Paczini wrote: »
    Last year off campus housing list was out mid April (24th I think) but you have to get it quick cause most of the rooms/houses will be gone within few hours

Considering for the Quite Zone I've heard they want people to accept offers in the next week or so, late April for the housing list sounds a tad unreasonable.. but then again, it's Maynooth :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NicolaB94

Considering for the Quite Zone I've heard they want people to accept offers in the next week or so, late April for the housing list sounds a tad unreasonable.. but then again, it's Maynooth :pac:

What's the Quite Zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

NicolaB94 wrote: »
    What's the Quite Zone?

Quiet area in apartments on campus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Bit early but feck it. I may have a room to share for next year. House is in the town, behind Brady's. imo, prime location for somebody in First or Second Year.

Rent is between 65-70. House is occupied by me and three others, with one empty space currently. Deposit of 300 quid before Friday. Interested? PM me ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I just got an offer for The Quiet Zone, has anyone else heard anything about this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I just got an offer for The Quiet Zone, has anyone else heard anything about this? :)

I've heard it's supposed to be in Hargadon Hall and it will be for studious and/or postgrad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clairek123

Has anyone heard of any houses available for at least 3 people in the Maynooth area? Does anyone know any 3rd years that may be moving out next year that won't e living in theirs next year?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hey! I have a 4 bedroom house to let for the summer. Ill be taking one room and there are 3 spare rooms (2 double, 1 single). The house is in the town centre and if I fill all the rooms we get it for 200 each pm which is dirt cheap for where it is. Its like 20 seconds from the bus stop into town so perfect if working in Dublin for the summer. PM me if interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Single room available behind Brady's for 100 a week plus 26 a month. Lease is for as long as you are willing to pay. You will be sharing with two third year lads (myself included). Deposit is 300 euro message me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Spacious Twin room with own ensuite available for two friends to share 10 minutes walk from college from September onwards, 80e pp per week bills included. PM if interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nuim_3

Hey,

Myself and two friends have found a nice 4 bedroom house available for next year. So we are looking for a fourth person to join us. The three of us are moving into third year, we are looking for somebody similar. The house is really nice and none of the rooms are twins so everyone gets their own room. We are trying to secure it ASAP so we don't lose it! PM me if you are interested or if you know of someone who would be! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Nurgle_94

Can anyone tell me what Rye Hall is like?
    I have only been in river and village apartments, but was put in rye hall when I got campus accommodation, I have no idea what the rye hall apartments look like and there is absolutely no pictures on the internet of them what i can find anyway.
    Can anyone tell me what there like at the minute or if anyone knows about apartment 18. I only know that there are 3, 5, or 7 bed apartments but I don't even know how many are in apartment 18 :/
    Much thanks for any information anyone can give me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rowlbear

I'm moving to study at NUI Maynooth in September so looking for a room to rent.

I'll be 25 come September, I've been working and renting privately for the last 4/5 years, hopefully that'll help with landlords.

Anyone looking to search for houses together or has a spare room that might be suitable, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Nurgle_94 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Rye Hall is like?
    I have only been in river and village apartments, but was put in rye hall when I got campus accommodation, I have no idea what the rye hall apartments look like and there is absolutely no pictures on the internet of them what i can find anyway.
    Can anyone tell me what there like at the minute or if anyone knows about apartment 18. I only know that there are 3, 5, or 7 bed apartments but I don't even know how many are in apartment 18 :/
    Much thanks for any information anyone can give me :)

I don't know anything about that either first time living on campus this year but I am in apartment 16 in Rye Hall :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JMcC .. X

Barster wrote: »
    I don't know anything about that either first time living on campus this year but I am in apartment 16 in Rye Hall :P

I've lived in both river & ryehall & I preferred river - bigger kitchen & living room area & ensuite in the bedroom; but apart from that ryehall was fine for me room was fairly big with 2 toilets, a big hallway & a grand sized kitchen. Mine was a 4 bed though & I know some of the ones with more rooms than that tend to have smaller rooms! I lived in 12 so I presume both of yours would be a similar enough layout to mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ramonarosie

How many bedrooms in the river apartments? Moving there in September