Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Hana98 wrote: »
    The 29th. :eek: I thought I was back late. A lot of people I know are back the 28th or 24th.

I know this is the latest I've ever been back! We probably deserve it for the year that's ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

currooney wrote: »
    I know this is the latest I've ever been back! We probably deserve it for the year that's ahead of us.

I'm back the 31st haha, Its crazy. It's likely to do with the LC being marginally later this year.

Consonata wrote: »
    I'm back the 31st haha, Its crazy. It's likely to do with the LC being marginally later this year.

Ah that's true, as if it won't drag out enough already :v

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I'm back tomorrow, then we have a day off on Friday which is when the 1st/3rd/4th years come back, so our first proper day is the 31st

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have a big break at Easter, probably when you could do without it (in terms of orals etc.). The joys of the standardised school year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

emersyn wrote: »
    I'm back tomorrow, then we have a day off on Friday which is when the 1st/3rd/4th years come back, so our first proper day is the 31st

How come ye have to go back for a day, why not just start on the 31st? :)

Usually with us they bring the first and second years back the first day (31st), the sixth and third years back the second day (1st) and fourth and fifth years back the third day (2nd).
    spurious wrote: »
    You have a big break at Easter, probably when you could do without it (in terms of orals etc.). The joys of the standardised school year.

My friends and I were delighted when we heard about the bigger Easter break until we realised our Orals would be straight after it! It'll be great for other years though! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For information:
    School Year 2015/16

October 2015 mid-term break

All schools will close from Monday 26th October 2015 to Friday 30th October 2015 inclusive.

Christmas 2015

All schools will close on Tuesday 22nd December 2015, which will be the final day of the school term.

All schools will re-open on Wednesday 6th January 2016.

February 2016 mid-term break

All primary schools will close on Thursday 18th February 2016 and Friday 19th February 2016.

(Primary schools may use 3 discretionary days to extend this break to an alternative option of a 5 day break for the period from Monday 15th February 2016 to Friday 19th February 2016 inclusive unless changes are required as part of contingency arrangements to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures.)

Post-primary schools will close from Monday 15th February 2016 to Friday 19th February 2016 inclusive unless changes are required as part of contingency arrangements to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures.

Where contingency arrangements are required a school authority may reduce the length of the February mid-term break by remaining open up to and including Wednesday 17th February 2016.

Easter 2016

All schools will close on Wednesday 16th March 2016 which will be the final day of the school term, unless changes are required as part of contingency arrangements to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures. Where contingency arrangements are required a school authority may reduce the length of the Easter break by remaining open up to and including Wednesday 23rd March 2016.

All schools will re-open on Monday 4th April 2016.

'Contingency arrangements' means if days need to be made up because of snow in January or February or whenever.

Christmas 2015

All schools will close on Tuesday 22nd December 2015, which will be the final day of the school term.

All schools will re-open on Wednesday 6th January 2016.

I really wish they'd finish on the 18th of December and bring us back on the 4th of January. It's much easier than starting/finishing in the middle of the week!

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I really wish they'd finish on the 18th of December and bring us back on the 4th of January. It's much easier than starting/finishing in the middle of the week!

Away with you and your sensible suggestion. The great minds of Irish education leadership have decided otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Away with you and your sensible suggestion. The great minds of Irish education leadership have decided otherwise.

I personally liked finished 2-3 days before christmas day when I was younger, less waiting.. guess it's different for 6th years though.

Kremin wrote: »
    I personally liked finished 2-3 days before christmas day when I was younger, less waiting.. guess it's different for 6th years though.
    As someone who has to travel up the country to their grandparents for Christmas every year the extra few days to get organised and not be rushing are an absolute godsend. Finishing 2-3 days before Christmas usually meant spending Christmas eve in a three hour car journey :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

Guys starting back tomorrow and I'm ****ting myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

Are there many back yet. I'm half and half scared and half looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

I went back today for a two hour induction thingy. It was ok except my timetable is so annoying. I have Religion four times a week as a non exam subject and on Wednesdays I don't even have Maths or Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Consonata wrote: »
    Are there many back yet. I'm half and half scared and half looking forward to it.

It's not that bad of a year tbh. It was probably my favourite year in school. You tend to grow much closer with your year, you're allowed a lot more freedom from teachers, there's a lot more social outings from 18ths to graduation and debs. Of course, you also have the mocks, orals and the exams to look forward to as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Blue giant wrote: »
    It's not that bad of a year tbh. It was probably my favourite year in school. You tend to grow much closer with your year, you're allowed a lot more freedom from teachers, there's a lot more social outings from 18ths to graduation and debs. Of course, you also have the mocks, orals and the exams to look forward to as well :p

This reassures me a little bit, thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

The only thing I found bad about the LC were the evenings of study, they really get monotonous after a while but good study pays off. The days in school were great craic I found, I kind of went a bit mental in the last 3 months and we used to do sing-a-longs during break and all that- good times :pac:
    The Leaving Cert is overrated though, in the majority of cases, you get what you put into it, if you study properly and know your stuff then you'll get what you want whether it be a C3 or an A1! Once you have English over, it gets better that and the summer is really fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 daveytheravey

I've been back from 2 half days already and I couldn't be more stressed!!!!

All the teachers are after saying how bad we are (I guess they usually say that) but I already have 5 extra classes a week! I know teachers are looking out for us but that's just too much! I cant hack it. I have a long commute in the morning which could mean getting up before 6:30. I knew LC was going to be tough but I didn't expect this already :////

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Start school on Monday. Buzzing!

So motivated and have a study strategy ready. :)

• Advertisement

Start school on Monday. Buzzing!

So motivated and have a study strategy ready. :)

Oh how I envy your optimism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

currooney wrote: »
    Oh how I envy your optimism!

Have no choice but to be optimistic. Gotta look ahead and think ahead, no point dwindling on something if it will clearly affect your mental health and ambition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Jijsaw wrote: »
    The only thing I found bad about the LC were the evenings of study, they really get monotonous after a while but good study pays off. The days in school were great craic I found, I kind of went a bit mental in the last 3 months and we used to do sing-a-longs during break and all that- good times :pac:
    The Leaving Cert is overrated though, in the majority of cases, you get what you put into it, if you study properly and know your stuff then you'll get what you want whether it be a C3 or an A1! Once you have English over, it gets better that and the summer is really fun!

This times 10. Some of the best craic I had was in the classroom in the final weeks. The Leaving Cert is important, obviously, but not THAT important. There are so many ways to get to college (Level 7, PLC or even abroad).

Stress was the downfall of me in my exams. Try to avoid this, I missed out on As because I panicked in the exam because of stress.

Just try to make the best of a bad situation. Just think that your hardwork will pay off and you'll get what you want whether it be college, an apprenticeship or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Got my timetable and discovered, to my delight, double Irish and triple French are now a thing :) Oh and they're both on a Monday :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Beca19 wrote: »
    Got my timetable and discovered, to my delight, double Irish and triple French are now a thing :) Oh and they're both on a Monday :):):)

Triple French is a thing?!? :O Surely that's a violation of some EU Regulation or whatnot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Theyve split all double irish and maths in my school, so happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Not that I really care, but this year we who do applied maths in my year dont get to do PE and are doing an extra double of applied maths. I always thought pe was compulsory?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Triple French is a thing?!? :O Surely that's a violation of some EU Regulation or whatnot ;)
    Hahah ikr :pac: it's cos there's an oral class then double French :(

kb98 wrote:
    Not that I really care, but this year we who do applied maths in my year dont get to do PE and are doing an extra double of applied maths. I always thought pe was compulsory?
    Senior cycle students used to not do PE at all in my school. Now we do PE but LCVP students don't because of the timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Double chemistry first thing on Monday morning, double Maths first thing on Tuesday morning, one day in and I already want to die

Advertisement