Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Memnoch wrote: »
    Don't like Murry. He is a petulant entitled asshole. I hate the way he sneers at players after he wins a big point or a set. Almost as bad as Sharapova's screeching. Also absolutely sick of this 'one of the all time greats' nonsense spouted by British commentators. Winning two grand slams makes you an all time great? Can't stand him, his mother or his fiancé. Bunch of bankers with a W.

I've never heard anybody claim murray was one of the all time greats, ever. I also don't know where you're coming from calling the chap entitled. A sense of entitlement would suggest he turns up expecting to win. Fact of the matter is he's ultimately not as good as the three guys above him, but a ferocious work ethic, and no small amount of guts have meant that on his day, he can hang with them and occaisionally win.

You're entitled to your opinion though, even if it is stultifyingly Ill informed...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

lazza14 wrote: »
    You on drugs or what ?

Murray Wavrinka would be 3-0 Murray ... snoozefest, Murray Djokovic on the other hand would go the distance ..
    Yes, I am on drugs.

"Going the distance" is not necessarily representative of good tennis. I think a Murray-Wawrinka match would produce much better shot-making. And I'm not really sure on what basis you think Murray would win 3-0, Wawrinka is the defending champion here, has beaten him six times, the most notable of those being at the US Open... where Wawrinka won three sets to zero :)

Don't like Murry. He is a petulant entitled asshole. I hate the way he sneers at players after he wins a big point or a set. Almost as bad as Sharapova's screeching. Also absolutely sick of this 'one of the all time greats' nonsense spouted by British commentators. Winning two grand slams makes you an all time great? Can't stand him, his mother or his fiancé. Bunch of bankers with a W.

:pac::pac::pac:

You know Murray's doing well in a slam again when someone pops in here mouthing off tripe like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I've never heard anybody claim murray was one of the all time greats, ever. I also don't know where you're coming from calling the chap entitled. A sense of entitlement would suggest he turns up expecting to win. Fact of the matter is he's ultimately not as good as the three guys above him, but a ferocious work ethic, and no small amount of guts have meant that on his day, he can hang with them and occaisionally win.

You're entitled to your opinion though, even if it is stultifyingly Ill informed...

Heard it numerous times from the Eurosport commentators as well as bbc sport commentators. Like he is somehow in the same bracket as federrer or nadal or indeed Djokovic.

My impression of his entitlement comes from his petulance on court. It just smacks of a lack of class.

He undoubtedly has worked very hard so credit him there as it is due but his behaviour, that of his family and the preening of the English media really make him quite an intolerable package. Also love the shenanigans at Wimbledon. Changing his seed last year. Making Stan play three days in a row (would probably have beaten fed in the semis otherwise) which would have never happened if the player losing out in question was their precious Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

No winners and 11 unforced errors from Djokovic in the 4th set! Ouch. Great play from Stan though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Heard it numerous times from the Eurosport commentators as well as bbc sport commentators. Like he is somehow in the same bracket as federrer or nadal or indeed Djokovic.

Shock horror local commentators going overboard with a local player it's not that uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Shock horror local commentators going overboard with a local player it's not that uncommon.

Sure. Still annoying as hell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

70 unforced errors from Stan. Brilliant at times, appalling at others. Murray must be confident looking at ND today, too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really really really hope that Maria can make a match of it against Serena today. Ideally I'd like her to win, but that's quite obviously highly unlikely to happen. Even if Serena wins in straight sets I just want it to be somewhat close. Something. Anything! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Really really really hope that Maria can make a match of it against Serena today. Ideally I'd like her to win, but that's quite obviously highly unlikely to happen. Even if Serena wins in straight sets I just want it to be somewhat close. Something. Anything! :o

With Serena sick this is her best chance. I'm hoping that Williams wins. Can't sharapova with all the screeching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I started watching this, don't know if I'm going to continue - it's car crash tennis. Serena went off while they were closing the roof to cough up a lung, then came back and took two straight games off Sharapova. Maria's spraying errors (forced and unforced) all over the court. Serena just broke back for the first set, 6-3.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

They really must hate each other shouting come on between points a lot and Serena had to replay a point for shouting it before the ref had given point,never seen that happen before in a big tennis match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Finished with an ace....naturally! Grand Slam #19 for Serena. Incredible. Hard luck to Sharapova, she played so well but just can't seem to beat her. Fair play to her for not giving up. Must be hard knowing you absolutely have to get your serve in everytime.

Loved Serena's reaction when the let was called on championship point.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It was a good match to be fair, can't say Sharapova bottled it any stage, Serena just to good.

Well at least she made Serena work for it this time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Much better match than we expected. Result was the same in the end though :(

It's hard to believe but I think Sharapova actually believes she can win this match up every time they play despite all the drubbings. I don't know whether to admire that or laugh at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It's hard to believe but I think Sharapova actually believes she can win this match up every time they play despite all the drubbings. I don't know whether to admire that or laugh at her.

Rather that attitude than Federer when he plays Nadal, the second he goes behind, he gives up the ghost.

Well I didn't the result I wanted this morning, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

What do ye say on Serena matching/beating Steffi's record? I really think it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭curiosity

I'm not really a fan of Maria's, but I admired her efforts today.
    Well I didn't the result I wanted this morning, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

What do ye say on Serena matching/beating Steffi's record? I really think it's only a matter of time.

She has momentum now, two majors in a row, and Graf is only three ahead. Last July 1st, after Alizé Cornet had seen her off at Wimbly, 22 majors looked a tall task. After today, it's possible that she could chalk up #23 in 12 month's time. She's playing Fed Cup next weekend, so she must be planning on going to Rio. I really think she wants to step over them all, Chrissie & Martina behind her, only Steffi & Court to catch now.

Really not looking forward to the match this morning if I'm honest, rarely do I enjoy Novak-Andy matches. I'm thinking Novak in 4 sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Djokovic wins, but I want Murray to finally win the Australian Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Murray too inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Have a feeling this might be Murrays day. For once I don't think Djokovic has the legs if this goes past three sets

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Kim Sears' jumper is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This is turning into a really good match, after djoks great start murray came back into it and looks good now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

what channel is it on please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

what channel is it on please?

Edit - found it BBC1 - my Sun tv guide had it at BBC2!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A break down, Murray losing his way a bit now. He is up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Seems to be losing the head abit now alright

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Wonder what the protests are in aid of. Waste of a ticket regardless.

• Advertisement

Christ, imagine coming to a grand slam final just to unfurl a banner. What a waste of money! :D

Advertisement