Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I think he's a ball-less sh1tbag. But the gardai are well overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's not so much the character of the man I have a problem with, but attitudes inspire actions. And the reality is that if you're charged with taking money out of people's pockets, but can't relate to the struggles that doing so entails (and, in Shatter's case, find people 'whining' about said struggles near intolerable) then you shouldn't be in said position. Politics in the UK have the exact same problem: people from Cambridge and Eton making all of the decisions. That road leads to political apathy, civil unrest and a class divide. When the lower class in this country are pretty much run into the ground at this stage, we simply can't afford to let that class divide widen.

I'm not saying that Ireland needs a working class hero to work, just someone who can identify with the people that their entire life's work is to serve. Someone who understands that people are more than an algorithm. Just because something makes sense on paper doesn't mean it makes sense in practise. This is Shatter's downfall, in my opinion. He's content with sitting in his office all day trying to fit his policy into convenient formulae instead of viewing the world for what it is and making practical decisions.

Like I said, he could probably be (and has been) very successful elsewhere. But, as each day goes on, we're seeing just how unsuited to public life Alan Shatter really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Why did shatter, have to bring his wife along for the free meal, are things that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

How about we try politicians who are intelligent and competent, even if they come across as arrogant and aloof to people less intelligent than them?

Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

HondaSami wrote: »
    I do begrudge it when politicians are telling the rest of us to take the pain while they are not taking enough imo

This little joke from Pat Rabbit was not near as funny as he seemed to think it was.

At a book launch the night the pay deal extension was announced, he told the audience:
    "Another busy day diminishing the living standards of our people."

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=pat%20rabbitte%20croke%20park%202&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CE4QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Farchives%2F2013%2F0305%2Fworld%2Frabbitte-refuses-to-apologise-for-croke-park-deal-joke-224509.html&ei=UBNWUa2fIc-XhQf5poDABg&usg=AFQjCNGTChGL5c0G4zGADWes01id3YDg4w

What does this Pat Rabbite anecdote have to do with paying to protect the minister for justice? Also, do you propose the minister for justice has no protection or pays for it himself? I image the minister for justice would be exposed to more risk than the minister for the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It sounds as if you're saying you'd prefer an everyman in the dail. The type of person who everyone can relate to and can see themselves having the craic down in the pub with.

We already tried that with Bertie and Cowen. Don't think anyone would deny they're great men to tell a yarn and have an aul sing-song in the Galway Races Tent. Didn't work out too well though.

How about we try politicians who are intelligent and competent, even if they come across as arrogant and aloof to people less intelligent than them?

The last setence of your post is quite frankly sickening.

If Alan Shatter believes ( or you think that he believes) that he can be arrogant and aloof to "people less intelligent than him",then the country is in a worse state than I thought possible.

Vizzy wrote: »
    The last setence of your post is quite frankly sickening.

If Alan Shatter believes ( or you think that he believes) that he can be arrogant and aloof to "people less intelligent than him",then the country is in a worse state than I thought possible.

I don't think it is sickening at all. Remember that if we had competent politicians for the last 20 years there would be no cuts. But obviously you prefer Bertie "pint of bass" and cutting garda wages to competence.

I couldn't give a fuck if he appears aloof or arrogant, I want competence and honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sergeant wrote: »
    Where's the money going to come from to implement such measures?

Keep an eye on KyussBishop's posts for alternatives to austerity.

omahaid wrote: »
    I don't think it is sickening at all. Remember that if we had competent politicians for the last 20 years there would be no cuts. But obviously you prefer Bertie "pint of bass" and cutting garda wages to competence.

I couldn't give a fuck if he appears aloof or arrogant, I want competence and honesty.

I think painting it as an either/or situation is massively simplifying the argument; as if suggesting that a politician who relates to the general public can't possibly be competent, and vice versa.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Great post. Shatter has an abrasive style, but, as I mentioned earlier, having the 'ah sure I love da crack and a day in da bookeys' personality of Ahern doesn't do us any favours.

Alan Shatter has a fine legal mind, and is doing his very best in extraordinary economic circumstances. It doesn't matter to the usual band of whiners, me-feiners and loony left types who seem to think that a utopia is always possible.

Utterly deluded individuals.

leggo wrote: »
    I think painting it as an either/or situation is massively simplifying the argument; as if suggesting that a politician who relates to the general public can't possibly be competent, and vice versa.

I agree with you, it's not an either/or situation. But we have what we have and if he's honest and competent (which I believe him to be) then that's the minimum I require.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Ranicand wrote: »
    Disgusting.

No, what is disgusting is your posting history. I've just skimmed over it. You have an unhealthy obsession with all things Jew related. I'm beginning to think it had a part to play in you starting this thread.

But its clear that Shatter's high level of intelligence, his analytical skills, and his private success intimidates people, so he is branded as being aloof and arrogant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, what is disgusting is your posting history. I've just skimmed over it. You have an unhealthy obsession with all things Jew related. I'm beginning to think it had a part to play in you starting this thread.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

I don't think the man is even worth discussing.

I don't give a **** if he is aloof either.
    It's the fact that some people think that he has some superiority over those "less intelligent than him" that gets me.
    If he is a solicitor practicing law he can be as aloof and as arrogant as he wants.In fact it would probably be a good character trait for a solicitor.But you can choose to engage his services or not.
    But as a minister in probably one of the most influential ministries in the country it is a bit hard to swallow to be regarded as not being intelligent enough to know what is right and wrong in the country.

Alan Shatter has a fine legal mind, and is doing his very best in extraordinary economic circumstances. It doesn't matter to the usual band of whiners, me-feiners and loony left types who seem to think that a utopia is always possible.

Utterly deluded individuals.

Just a few posts ago, I half-joked that Shatter considered people disagreeing with his policies 'whining'. Wow, I can't believe someone just backed up that view so quickly.

When you're unhappy about being cut to the brim of financial ruin...it's not whining. It is, in fact, a perfectly valid response to being forced to saddle the weight of public debt despite doing a job that's essential to the maintenance of a safe state. And it's downright insulting to be treated as if you're a 'whiner', 'me-feiner' or 'loony left type' to feel that way. As if it's a utopian view to think that you should be entitled to afford to keep a roof over your family's head for doing this service to the state.

You may not have realised it, but you sir have just validated exactly what's wrong with Alan Shatter's attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't think he is suited to the job he is supposed to be doing.

I think his arrogance and condescension are a large part of the reason he is not competent and I certainly see no evidence he is more intelligent than me.

I find the implication that we should bow down to his intelligence or defer to his supposed brilliance quite sickening.

But its clear that Shatter's high level of intelligence, his analytical skills, and his private success intimidates people, so he is branded as being aloof and arrogant.

Typical whinge, a poster makes a point regarding the Malvinas, he is a brit hater, criticize someone of the jewish faith you are anti semitic. Get a life and move into the twenty first century. Stop the whingeing the war and the crimes of that war is over, nearly seventy years ago. I will not go into the war crimes that is happening in Palistine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Vizzy wrote: »
    But as a minister in probably one of the most influential ministries in the country it is a bit hard to swallow to be regarded as not being intelligent enough to know what is right and wrong in the country.

Any examples of what he is doing wrong? We live in one of the safest countries in the world. We do not have a crime epidemic, or any other sensationalist gibberish used to sell papers or TV3 shows.

The man is a noted liberal when it comes to matters of justice. A liberal in general actually.

• Advertisement

I don't think he is suited to the job he is supposed to be doing.

I think his arrogance and condescension are a large part of the reason he is not competent and I certainly see no evidence he is more intelligent than me.

I find the implication that we should bow down to his intelligence or defer to his supposed brilliance quite sickening.

Again with the word sickening? I hope he is brilliant, it would make a change. Anyway, regardless of what we might think here, FG got a nice pat on the back in Meath. I didn't vote FG btw and I'm not convinced austerity is the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Wait for it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Typical whinge, a poster makes a point regarding the Malvinas, he is a brit hater, criticize someone of the jewish faith you are anti semitic. /..........

You don't think these comments are anti-semitic?
    Yet I bet you would fiy of the handle if I suggested we should reduce the toxic influence of Jewish Hollywood
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83446320&postcount=36
    All Hollywood studios are Jewish owned and run.
    Hollywood movies are full of casual sex drug use and violence.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83446744&postcount=63

Classic examples, I would have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Again with the word sickening? I hope he is brilliant, it would make a change. Anyway, regardless of what we might think here, FG got a nice pat on the back in Meath. I didn't vote FG btw and I'm not convinced austerity is the right way.

Yes sickening. That's the effect it has on me. There's several online thesauri if you want to insert an alternative more to your taste.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 cloudybins

He is a gentleman, scholar and quite the dancer I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Neadine wrote: »
    I don't think the man is even worth discussing.

Yes but Fianna Fail seem to be delighted with him.

Yes sickening. That's the effect it has on me. There's several online thesauri if you want to insert an alternative more to your taste.

I had a quick look, deluded is the word the several online thesauri returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Typical whinge, a poster makes a point regarding the Malvinas, he is a brit hater, criticize someone of the jewish faith you are anti semitic. Get a life and move into the twenty first century. Stop the whingeing the war and the crimes of that war is over, nearly seventy years ago. I will not go into the war crimes that is happening in Palistine.

I was banned for 3 weeks for the posts they keep bringing up which were true.

Now the very people who played the victim card say we should shut up and be grateful to have people ruling us who are more intelligent then us.

Any examples of what he is doing wrong? We live in one of the safest countries in the world. We do not have a crime epidemic, or any other sensationalist gibberish used to sell papers or TV3 shows.

The man is a noted liberal when it comes to matters of justice. A liberal in general actually.

Ok,I'll ask you this,do you think that he has handled the whole "Garda walkout" thing well or do you think that he has improved or disimproved his persona to the man in the street ?
    Competent he may be,a fine legal mind he may have but he hasn't a clue how to conduct himself in public.

• Advertisement

Totally irrelevant, to the point that I feel you should declare any conflict of interest here because you're pushing the exact FG party line by claiming that as a victory for party policies.

It was a clear sympathy vote for a by-election caused by tragic, extraordinary circumstances...which had a shocking voter turnout. It was, in nobody's language, a 'pat on the back' for FG. It was a shrewd political move by them to maintain their seat, that's the best I can say. Fianna Fáil, shockingly, were the true political victors of that by-election and Labour were the clear losers (there's your punishment for government policy; Labour was the fall guy). Fine Gael just pulled a fast one by entering Helen as the candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement