Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Nice little coincidence that Philbin gets fired after being well beaten by a Todd Bowles coached team, the Dolphins could have hired Bowles instead of Philbin as he was the interim coach before Philbin took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I dunno which is more embarrassing for Tannehill, the fact that he was enough of a toolbag to say something like that to guys who were intercepting him, or the fact they were intercepting him so frequently his coach had to tell them to go easy on him (a real recipe for success when gameday roles around).

I have a feeling I'll be putting Mariota in to start for fantasy for the next few weeks...

EDIT: Just as an aside, is anyone else finding that clicking on cbs links in the last two posts they are just getting redirected to the CBS homepage?

yeah, if you quote it you can copy and paste the actual link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-went-a-calendar-month-without-an-arrest-for-the-1734238830

September 2015. The first month since 2009 without an NFL player getting arrested!

Turns out there was an arrest so the streak is still alive. OK, it was only for an unpaid fine so not the worst offence ever.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/as-it-turns-out--the-nfl-s-arrest-streak-is-alive-and-well-at-80-months-163506440.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looking at some of the records over the first 4 weeks, it's interesting to see who may be being overrated and underrated based on their current records. I'm not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with these teams, but they stood out to me when looking through. I know there's contradictions in it but the below is aimed more as a discussion-generator than anything else:

Potentially Overrated
    Arizona Cardinals - they're 3-1, but their 3 wins have come against the 49ers, Saints and Bears, 3 teams who will likely be picking pretty early in the 2016 draft. Their sole loss came to the Rams, a very good team on D but also one who lost to the Redskins and a Steelers side who scored only 12 points and were without Big Ben for most of the second half.

Atlanta Falcons - this one maybe slightly harsh as they're 4-0 and 2 of their wins have come against an Eagles side which many liked and away to the Giants. They also beat a Cowboys side missing their two most important players and a Texans team that's a mess. It's crazy though, look at their schedule and they could actually go 9-0 before their bye week in week 10 :eek:

Carolina Panthers - another 4-0 team, but may well be just the case that the NFC South benefits from a ridiculously kind schedule this season (including the fact they play, well, the NFC South!). They've beaten the Jaguars, Saints, Texans and Buccaneers.

Denver Broncos - a potentially overrated side at 4-0? They've beaten the 1-3 Ravens (on a game that went to the last play), 1-3 Chiefs (on a game that went to virtually the last play) and beat the Vikings by 3 points in another game that went down to the wire.

New York Jets - to be honest I don't really see anyone overrating them so I don't know if I should include them here, but for arguments sake at 3-1 they've beaten the Browns, Colts and Dolphins who are all struggling while they lost to an Eagles side who are also in trouble. Like the Broncos their D is nasty but the standard of opposite should be factored into that too.

Potentially Underrated:
    Baltimore Ravens - 1-3 and there's no excuse for a so-called contender to lose @ Oakland (no disrespect) even though the Raiders look much better than the vast majority thought they would be, but 2 games on the west coast to start the season was a tough beginning especially while one of them was at Mile High, while the Bengals (another loss) look like one of the best teams in the league. They've been hit hard by injuries but the schedule gets a lot, lot softer now. If things go very well, they could realistically be as good as 8-4 going into a Monday Night Football game at home to Seattle in December.

Cincinnati Bengals - it may seem strange to put a 4-0 team in the underrated section, but it sure feels that they are still quite underrated from people I speak to and what I read. What a huge game they have vs Seattle on Sunday. If they win that, it will have to be enough to take people off the fence.

Seattle Seahawks - 2-2, but it's worth pointing out when putting them in this section that they were missing their best player and leader on D for those 2 losses, one of which came at Aaron Rodgers' house. Take the best defensive player/defensive leader off any team in the NFL and they will all, to a team, be much, much weaker. They've gone 2-0 since he came back. Yes, they got a huge break last night but got the W. It might be enough to give them a kick start and turn their season. They've also been missing Marshawn Lynch for a bit too. Like the Bengals, the Seahawks game against the aforementioned on Sunday is huge for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Some quick thoughts at first glance.

Makes the case for the Seahawks missing Kam, but doesn't mention how the Panthers are without Kuechly.

Personally, I think there is a difference to Carolina this year. Cam Newton seems so much more complete. Yeah, easy schedule, but he has the worst WRs in the league and he's getting it done. He's winning games on his own there and is absolutely a franchise QB.

Their secondary is looking impressive too.

Seahawks don't look good to me at all. Just not getting going on offense with Lynch not fully fit and Graham not exactly firing on all cylinders.

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones means Falcons will reach the playoffs, but I can't see how they go very far, tbh. Giants should have beaten them in week 2, for one thing.

Bengals have perhaps the best roster in football. If Dalton remains at this level, they are serious, serious AFC Contenders at least. Broncos D is the best in AFC, if not all of football. Pats offense is the best in the AFC. Bengals probably the most balanced roster, in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Knex. wrote: »

Seahawks don't look good to me at all. Just not getting going on offense with Lynch not fully fit and Graham not exactly firing on all cylinders.

Thing is with Graham he is firing on all cylinders. He doesn't fit the Seahawks system. He has gone from a QB who stands in the pocket and fires the ball downfield 50 times a game to a QB who uses his feet when necessary. Also the Seahawks zone read system actually suits balanced tight end where as Graham is an unconventional tight end as he is an over sized WR and the Seahawks like the Saints play him that way. When they try play him as a regular TE he can't block for sh1t and thus is useless in the run game and useless in delayed routes. They are going to have to find a better way to use him really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

56129ba31600002e00038017.jpeg?cache=gFIfB4jAbp

EDIT: AND Josh McCown is even up there in the very top corner!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Billy86 wrote: »
    56129ba31600002e00038017.jpeg?cache=gFIfB4jAbp

EDIT: AND Josh McCown is even up there in the very top corner!! :eek:

I assume somebody broke a leg on this play then?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,663 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Knex. wrote: »
    Some quick thoughts at first glance.

Makes the case for the Seahawks missing Kam, but doesn't mention how the Panthers are without Kuechly.

Personally, I think there is a difference to Carolina this year. Cam Newton seems so much more complete. Yeah, easy schedule, but he has the worst WRs in the league and he's getting it done. He's winning games on his own there and is absolutely a franchise QB.
    Yeah Kuechly is a great player and it will affect them when they meet a good offense which they haven't yet.

Newton is looking good against porous D's. Only when he runs into a good D will we know how good he is doing. His WR corp is not good and I don't expect to see them do well against a decent defense. Ted Ginn maybe could do damage against anybody if he has truly reached his potential but the guy has shown in the past that he will pull out of a reception if a big hit is coming.

Personally, even with a 4-0 start, I wouldn't expect them to finish any better than 10-6/9/7.

Nice post. With Week 5 upcoming, and knowing what we do about the teams this far into the season (as opposed to what we thought we knew at the start) we can start making some judgments. Denver's start of Ravens, Chiefs, Lions in the first 4 weeks looked brutal - but now, maybe not so much.

Regarding your choices of under/over rated:

Potentially Overrated
    Paully D wrote: »
    Arizona Cardinals - they're 3-1, but their 3 wins have come against the 49ers, Saints and Bears, 3 teams who will likely be picking pretty early in the 2016 draft. Their sole loss came to the Rams, a very good team on D but also one who lost to the Redskins and a Steelers side who scored only 12 points and were without Big Ben for most of the second half.

I would only place the Cards as slightly overrated. They have been destroying teams and look good on both sides of the ball. I could easily see them in the NFCCG and battling the Falcons for the #2 seed in the NFC. The Rams can beat the best of teams on their day.
    Atlanta Falcons - this one maybe slightly harsh as they're 4-0 and 2 of their wins have come against an Eagles side which many liked and away to the Giants. They also beat a Cowboys side missing their two most important players and a Texans team that's a mess. It's crazy though, look at their schedule and they could actually go 9-0 before their bye week in week 10 :eek:

As you mentioned, it will be tough to get a read on the Falcons, as they play an incredibly weak schedule - they play in the south and are matched with the woeful AFC south. I don't think we will really find out about them until the playoffs. Personally, I don't trust they are as good as their record suggests.
    Carolina Panthers - another 4-0 team, but may well be just the case that the NFC South benefits from a ridiculously kind schedule this season (including the fact they play, well, the NFC South!). They've beaten the Jaguars, Saints, Texans and Buccaneers.

Definitely overrated at the moment. I can't see them maintaining it for the year and also beneficiaries of one of the weakest schedules.
    Denver Broncos - a potentially overrated side at 4-0? They've beaten the 1-3 Ravens (on a game that went to the last play), 1-3 Chiefs (on a game that went to virtually the last play) and beat the Vikings by 3 points in another game that went down to the wire.

The issues with the offense are well known, they only have a +28 point differential, which does not point to a dominant team across a season. That said, there is still plenty of room for improvement on that side of the ball, which would be frightening really. Also, with games against the Packers, Patriots, Bengals, Steelers (with Ben) and Chargers x2 coming up, we will have a good idea of where they stand well before playoff time. So yes, for the moment, overrated and a bit lucky!
    New York Jets - to be honest I don't really see anyone overrating them so I don't know if I should include them here, but for arguments sake at 3-1 they've beaten the Browns, Colts and Dolphins who are all struggling while they lost to an Eagles side who are also in trouble. Like the Broncos their D is nasty but the standard of opposite should be factored into that too.

It's very hard to overrate a Ryan Fitzpatrick-led team, but I think their offense was always going to be better than people had suggested, and I think they will be able to maintain it for the season. Definite wildcard imo.

Potentially Underrated:

Baltimore Ravens - 1-3 and there's no excuse for a so-called contender to lose @ Oakland (no disrespect) even though the Raiders look much better than the vast majority thought they would be, but 2 games on the west coast to start the season was a tough beginning especially while one of them was at Mile High, while the Bengals (another loss) look like one of the best teams in the league. They've been hit hard by injuries but the schedule gets a lot, lot softer now. If things go very well, they could realistically be as good as 8-4 going into a Monday Night Football game at home to Seattle in December.

Definitely not being underrated. I think this is a below average team, with mounting injuries. Could easily be 0-4 and are not playing well on either side of the ball. With Suggs gone for the year and now Steve Smith gone for a few weeks, I would expect the Ravens to do well to finish 8-8

Cincinnati Bengals - it may seem strange to put a 4-0 team in the underrated section, but it sure feels that they are still quite underrated from people I speak to and what I read. What a huge game they have vs Seattle on Sunday. If they win that, it will have to be enough to take people off the fence.

I think the Bengals are far from being underrated. From what I can tell most are very high on them, after getting off to possibly the most impressive start to the season from any team. I think every fan has their doubts about the Bengals based on what has happened in the playoffs the last 4 years. Dalton and the Bengals have it all to prove until they win in the playoffs. I think they are better than years past and think they will get the #2 seed in the AFC
    Seattle Seahawks - 2-2, but it's worth pointing out when putting them in this section that they were missing their best player and leader on D for those 2 losses, one of which came at Aaron Rodgers' house. Take the best defensive player/defensive leader off any team in the NFL and they will all, to a team, be much, much weaker. They've gone 2-0 since he came back. Yes, they got a huge break last night but got the W. It might be enough to give them a kick start and turn their season. They've also been missing Marshawn Lynch for a bit too. Like the Bengals, the Seahawks game against the aforementioned on Sunday is huge for them too.

I disagree, I think they are still being overrated. These are not the Seahawks we saw the previous few years. They could/should be 1-3. The division looks tougher, they will not have the #1 seed in the playoffs and they are a different proposition away from CenturyLink field. The Oline is as bad as expected, and Wilson will only get more banged up as the season progresses.

My Choice for underrated teams so far this year:

New York Giants.
    2-2 but about to take control in the NFC East. Could very well have been 4-0 if not for some god-awful clock management in the first two games. Just lost to the Cowboys in week 1 (with Romo and Dez), ran the Falcons very close in week 2, in a game they really should have won and have beaten Washington and Buffalo easily. Eli threw his first int of the year last week - a huge issue for the Giants in years gone by. I could easily see them finishing with 11/12 wins.

Kansas City Chiefs.
    1-3 record, lost to the combined 12-0 @Packers, Broncos and @Bengals. Now I don't think the Chiefs can trouble any of the top teams, I do think they will make the playoffs and are a lot better than their current record suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't agree that the Cardinals are overrated. They have been very good, destroyed the 49ers anyway (not hard you may say but the Packers offense had a lot more trouble than the Cardinals did), also the Rams always seem to up their game in division so I don't think I would read too much into their other losses as being a knock on Arizona. I fancy the Cardinals to take the division anyway once they don't get too many more injuries.

Agree on Carolina and Denver (Great defense but 4-0 flatters them). I don't think Seattle are underrated either, they should have lost to Detroit who are possibly the worst team in football. I see them possibly getting a wildcard but may be tough given their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

poldebruin wrote: »
    Apparently after the Week 3 Bills loss, Philbin told the practice squad to take it easy in scrimmages against Tannehill, as they had been intercepting him frequently. After they picked off two more passes he apparently shouted at them to "enjoy your practice squad paychecks"

And to make him look worse you have Donte Stallworth pointing out that Tom Brady personally pays out a bonus to any practice squad player who can pick him off, as incentive for them to work him harder in practice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

BizzyC wrote: »
    And to make him look worse you have Donte Stallworth pointing out that Tom Brady personally pays out a bonus to any practice squad player who can pick him off, as incentive for them to work him harder in practice

what a guy, will be a sad day when he retires tbh

...under the table payments that circumvent the salary cap?....the NFL are calling in their lawyers.

I was actually just reading an article about Brady's new contract that he signed, and I remember at the time thinking it was ludicrous that he was playing for so far below market value. The thought at the time was that the money was being deferred or that it would be made up down the line, but here we are 3 or so years later (I think) and nope.....it looks like he just played for well below market value to help the team remain competitive. You've got to applaud and admire that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

poldebruin wrote: »
    ...under the table payments that circumvent the salary cap?....the NFL are calling in their lawyers.

I was actually just reading an article about Brady's new contract that he signed, and I remember at the time thinking it was ludicrous that he was playing for so far below market value. The thought at the time was that the money was being deferred or that it would be made up down the line, but here we are 3 or so years later (I think) and nope.....it looks like he just played for well below market value to help the team remain competitive. You've got to applaud and admire that.

When you look at the money some mediocre QB's have demanded and got and then look at how Brady has never taken it to the bank and put his pocket before the team. You do have to admire the man alright. Too many teams have been put into Cap hell by greedy QB's and I'm just relieved Brady has saved my team from that nightmare. His contract is up at the end of of 2017 and if he stays healthy, I'll not be surprised at all to see it being extended. So Jimmy G is going to need to have a lot of patience.

It will be and my hope is that will be some time away. If the O line can keep him healthy, it's hard to say how long more he could play for. But if he does stay healthy, I expect him to be around for at least another 4 years. He has always been meticulous about looking after himself, every offseason he gains preciously 12 pounds and then he burns it off. On-field health is the one area he can't control, the one area he relies on others to do their job. He's spent a career driving his 199th overall draft status down the league's throat and I think the nonsense of last summer, has done nothing but only motivate him even further. Unlike Manning where you can see an obvious decline over the last couple of seasons, Brady seems to be playing better than ever. He reminds me of Sir Alex Ferguson, despite all the records, all the winning and the success, they never dwelll on it or milk it for what's it worth. When most people are basking in personal glory, they've already moved onto the next season, the next challenge. Guys like that just never let themselves rest, their hunger never seems to be satisfied. I've said it before in the team thread, if any player can set an age record for playing at the top QB level in the NFL, it could be Tom.

When you look at the money some mediocre QB's have demanded and got and then look at how Brady has never taken it to the bank and put his pocket before the team. You do have to admire the man alright. Too many teams have been put into Cap hell by greedy QB's and I'm just relieved Brady has saved my team from that nightmare. His contract is up at the end of of 2017 and if he stays healthy, I'll not be surprised at all to see it being extended. So Jimmy G is going to need to have a lot of patience.

This is the article summarising Brady's restructure:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/30/tom-brady-contract-nfl-patriots-salary-cap

Even if you are not that interested in Contracts and the Business-side of football it is worth a read. When you realise the kind of advantage it gives the team, it's stunning really.

Take a look at your teams salary makeup on this site (it is interesting to see the breakdown of salaries - and just how few stars make the vast majority of the money on any given team) and just imagine having an extra 10 - 14 Million dollars a year to sign and retain talent and depth.

You often read about players being driven, desire and putting in the hard work, but I have never seen another case of a player making an economic sacrifice to directly assist his team in remaining competitive. I have often wondered why more QBs (it has to be QB's really) didn't or don't do something similar - if they truly are interested in winning year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

BizzyC wrote: »

Now that's what you call a team player, we just got to admire him, he is really setting standards like this for young guys to look up to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

What i don't get is how lesser qbs can demand such high salaries when brady has kept his relatively low.
    When you look at how the cowboys and broncos worked this off season, neither wanting to be the trend setter in terms of setting the new salary scale for wr's, why didn't chicago, cincinate,etc. Just turn to their qb's and say 'so you think you're better than Brady?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gufc21 wrote: »
    What i don't get is how lesser qbs can demand such high salaries when brady has kept his relatively low.
    When you look at how the cowboys and broncos worked this off season, neither wanting to be the trend setter in terms of setting the new salary scale for wr's, why didn't chicago, cincinate,etc. Just turn to their qb's and say 'so you think you're better than Brady?'

Brady knows that money he doesn't take goes into making the team better and that seems to be more important to him than boosting his ego by earning the max salary possible. The fact that even if he did earn the maximum he still wouldn't be the highest earner in his house helps too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Franchises seem to be getting smarter around these contracts for "franchise QB's". While the headline numbers for the likes of Kaepernick and Dalton were very high in the recent past they are all just a series of 1 year deals with alot of things required to hit the headline pay.

That being said Eli's new contract will kill the Giants in the next few years, I'm disappointed that he didn't follow the Brady way when it came to the contract as he is a franchise legend and surely could have been other means to compensate him away from the cap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In fairness these lesser QB's you mention likely haven't had a big contract yet so are probably looking to set themselves up for life rather than thinking about sacrificing additional cash for a better shot at a superbowl.

It's a huge advantage for New England though, they get elite production for a cap-hit more in tune with someone like Andy Dalton or Alex Smith.

The reason other teams can't tell their QB's to do one is that even Dalton or Cutler is an above average NFL QB and are not easily replaced and would get similar (or better deals) on the open market.

By the way Dalton's deal isn't terrible for the Bengals, Cap hit of 9,13,15,16,16,17 over the next few years. Brady Cap hit is 14,15,16 so not exactly terrible for the Bengals.

You'd think on the open market Brady could command in the region of $30m per year if he wanted it.

Dalton's Cap hit will be relatively low, % wise, when you consider the Salary Cap increase too.

If he continues in the form he's started with this season, it'll be great business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭nerd69

Brady also can be confident that the money will be used well and some other qbs such as brees (I think) have said that they won't take less than they are worth because it would negatively effect the players side in the next cba it's not fair to generalise some qbs that take more are prob right to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Another who thinks the Cards aren't overrated. The D is playing super hard. Palmer is an underrated an in my book and To me they only lost to the Rams because of the turnover ratio. That's a game they should have won really.

They look a great price to beat the lions in the next game to me.

That Rams game was a brilliant watch - the Rams defence is insane. Donald was borderline unblockable. So often he split the guard and centre off the snap to make a tackle for a loss on running plays. His hand use was also exceptional. He is totally dominant right now.

One of the best comments I've ever read on Reddit.

Came from this thread, where Greg Cosell has stated that the Hawks Offense is remedial.
    Wilson: "OK Guys, Huddle up! Alright, we're running 'Houston Right, 356 Fuzzy Bottom Fakey Right on 2 on 2.'

Baldwin: "Wait Russ, what do I do?"

Wilson: "Houston, Doug. Houston is Hitch"

Baldwin: "Ohhhhhhhhh....what's a hitch?"

Wilson: "Just run 5 yards and turn around."

Baldwin: "I can do that."

Wilson: "Ok on 2 on....."

Lynch: "Just give me the damn ball, Vanilla Shake."

Wilson: "No, and stop calling me that. It's play action."

Graham: "But I don't waaanna block!"

Wilson: "Oh for...you're not blocking Jimmy! You're going to act like you are then go right"

Graham: "Act like I'm blocking....I can do that!"

Wilson: "Ok, everyone got it? On...."

WHISTLE

Ref: "Delay of game, Number 3"

Mebane: "That ain't good man, you got us a penalty"

Wilson: "Thanks I got thi.....Mebane get back on the sideline, we're on offense. Ok, for ****s sake. How about this, everyone just run around until you get open? That work? OK, Break!"

WILSON SACKED FOR 5 A YARD LOSS

Wilson digs the grass out of his face mask and walks back to the huddle

Wilson: "What the **** was that, O-line?"

Okung: "You said to act like we're blocking, boss."

Wilson: "I told JIMMY to act like he was going to block."

Lynch: "Just gimme the damn ball, cheesecake."

Wilson: "No, it's 3rd and long. Ok, everyone. Salem Right, Y Drizzle Left, Z Snuggle."

Baldwin: "What do I do?"

Wilson: "You know what? I don't ****ing care, Doug."

Graham: "Just some good ole' backyard football, eh Russ?"

Wilson: "Shut the **** up, Jimmy."

adrian522 wrote: »
    You'd think on the open market Brady could command in the region of $30m per year if he wanted it.

I suppose what makes it more remarkable in Brady's case is, on the offensive side of the ball he hasn't really benefited from his own generosity. As in, the money he freed up was never used to go out and get him an elite toy like Megatron ect. He's just been happy for the money to go towards the overall good of the team, rather than bringing him in an elite weapon. And in most cases, the money he freed up was used on the defensive side of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Probably also helps that Gisele has a net worth well in excess of €300 million

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Probably also helps that Gisele has a net worth well in excess of €300 million

And she's worked very hard for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

And she's worked very hard for that money.

and Brady can take half if rumours are to be believed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement