Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Teams who start 0-3 statistically have a 2% chance of making the playoffs. Only 5 teams in NFL history have actually done it, and the last team to do it was the 1998 Buffalo Bills. Teams who have started 0-3 this season:

Baltimore Ravens
    Detroit Lions
    Chicago Bears
    New Orleans Saints

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Paully D wrote: »
    Teams who start 0-3 statistically have a 2% chance of making the playoffs. Only 5 teams in NFL history have actually done it, and the last team to do it was the 1998 Buffalo Bills. Teams who have started 0-3 this season:

Baltimore Ravens
    Detroit Lions
    Chicago Bears
    New Orleans Saints

:(

Bears and Saints are unquestionably out of the race already. I'd go as far as saying if Brees and Cutler don't get back soon, that one of these teams will pick first in the 2016 draft.

Raiders have the Bears next up. They could be 3-1 after week 4! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

:pac::pac::pac:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/28/new-york-jets-coach-son-insults-players-twitter-antonio-cromartie
    New York Jets tight ends coach Jimmie Johnson’s son insulted Jets players on Twitter after their 24–17 loss to the Eagles on Sunday, reports Larry Brown for Fox Sports.

Johnson was tweeting from the account @JimmieJ82 while in the Jets locker room after the game. He called injured quarterback Geno Smith a “bum a--” and made fun of cornerback Antonio Cromartie for having 10 children.

Johnson deleted the tweets and changed his account name before apologizing for his actions.

“Those tweets were really stupid on my part,” Johnson tweeted from his new account. “Will apologize to both of them if I get the change.”

824b6d9059e32d527db2d3d2e1e7177b.png

9242519958196f02d026e41f564911ba.png

86fb20cab176f7b7a706dafad8f0659e.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Knex. wrote: »
    Come here, how is Aldon Smith not suspended? Was surprised to see him out there against the Browns

He'll probably get a suspension once his court proceedings play out. NFL inconsistent as ever when it comes to discipline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

For those of us with the sense of humour of a 12 year old...

zeZiZgO.jpg

This is a bit weird to say the least, Steve Young doing the Ray Lewis Dance at MNF.

https://twitter.com/TINOGOHARD/status/648722261457956864

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-went-a-calendar-month-without-an-arrest-for-the-1734238830

September 2015. The first month since 2009 without an NFL player getting arrested!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is a great breakdown of CB play, and offensive playcalling. Haven't seen anything in this depth before, really.

I recommend watching it. Its not an OBJ fanfest, or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Now that it's October, all the players will be wearing the traditional piece of pink coloured kit on the field. While it is a great cause, I could argue why make cancer gender specific? Why isn't there a blue month for testicular cancer? Especially since us lads are usually worse than the ladies for our own self-checks ect.

Anyway, I was interested to see how much of the money raised by the NFL went to cancer research and here's an interesting article that I found...

93693_Funding.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/small-amount-of-money-from-pink-nfl-merchandise-goes-to-breast-cancer-research-2013-10?IR=T

If fans want to show support for their team and for breast cancer awareness, that is great. But if the point is to actually help fight cancer, fans would have a much bigger impact if they skipped the NFL and donated directly to the ACS or other organizations working to fight cancer.

I'm not sure how much of an issue, if any, that this in the mainstream american media. But it sure would be nice to see Mr. Integrity (Roger Goodell) maybe come out and address it and perhaps give a larger slice of his lucrative little pie to those who need it most - the researchers fighting the battle in the front lines.

• Advertisement

I've no comment on this this year. Got into a blazing idiotic row with someone about it. I find it a very cynical exercise but that's all I'm saying on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

adrian522 wrote: »
    I've no comment on this this year. Got into a blazing idiotic row with someone about it. I find it a very cynical exercise but that's all I'm saying on the subject.

Then fact they fined brandon marshall a few years back for wearing something on mental health day(an issue he suffers with) says it all to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

Now that it's October, all the players will be wearing the traditional piece of pink coloured kit on the field. While it is a great cause, I could argue why make cancer gender specific? Why isn't there a blue month for testicular cancer? Especially since us lads are usually worse than the ladies for our own self-checks ect.

Anyway, I was interested to see how much of the money raised by the NFL went to cancer research and here's an interesting article that I found...

93693_Funding.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/small-amount-of-money-from-pink-nfl-merchandise-goes-to-breast-cancer-research-2013-10?IR=T

I'm not sure how much of an issue, if any, that this in the mainstream american media. But it sure would be nice to see Mr. Integrity (Roger Goodell) maybe come out and address it and perhaps give a larger slice of his lucrative little pie to those who need it most - the researchers fighting the battle in the front lines.

How? I could understand if the NFL were taking a huge slice of the cut but they aren't. How much influence does he have on how much the retailers and manufacturers make?
    Then fact they fined brandon marshall a few years back for wearing something on mental health day(an issue he suffers with) says it all to me

I'm a firm believer in sticking to the rules. If they don't fine Brandon Marshall then you'll be having people breaking the rules every Sunday for "insert other awareness day".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭nerd69

Augme wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in sticking to the rules. If they don't fine Brandon Marshall then you'll be having people breaking the rules every Sunday for "insert other awareness day".

it was absolutely legitimate from marshall the rule is there because the nfl didn't make money off of the mental health awareness campaign and thats ****ing disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

How? I could understand if the NFL were taking a huge slice of the cut but they aren't. How much influence does he have on how much the retailers and manufacturers make?

If you include NFL.com stores then that graphic suggests that the NFL take 51.25% of the take. And I am almost sure the majority of NFL apparel sales comes from the NFL web store. I could be wrong but it will definitely be a high %.

Also the profit for the manufacturer ends back up in the pockets of the NFL anyways, you know the NFL have a cut of that piece of pie. Manufacturer need to earn money to pay the NFL the multi million dollar deal payments they have in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

How? I could understand if the NFL were taking a huge slice of the cut but they aren't.

Eh? Because the NFL are taking a huge slice of funds which the general public think is going directly to Cancer research.
    How much influence does he have on how much the retailers and manufacturers make?

Despite his constant bungling and fúck ups, do you know why Rog is still NFL commish? It's because of the massive growth in revenue which has occurred under his stewardship. Goodell presides over and signs off on all major deals, sponsorship and promotions. It's the one thing he's pretty damn good at and you can be sure if there's on person who could push for a bigger slice of the cake to go to front line cancer research, it's Roger Goodell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

adrian522 wrote: »

Think it was me :)

nerd69 wrote: »
    it was absolutely legitimate from marshall the rule is there because the nfl didn't make money off of the mental health awareness campaign and thats ****ing disgusting

I presume the rule is there because the NFL want to raise awareness and money(for themselves and cancer). By not having the rule then they limit that potential.
    JCTO wrote: »
    If you include NFL.com stores then that graphic suggests that the NFL take 51.25% of the take. And I am almost sure the majority of NFL apparel sales comes from the NFL web store. I could be wrong but it will definitely be a high %.

Also the profit for the manufacturer ends back up in the pockets of the NFL anyways, you know the NFL have a cut of that piece of pie. Manufacturer need to earn money to pay the NFL the multi million dollar deal payments they have in place.

Good point about the NFL stores, I didn't think of that.

I presume the rule is there because the NFL want to raise awareness and money(for themselves and cancer). By not having the rule then they limit that potential.

Good point about the NFL stores, I didn't think of that.

pretty sure the woprld knows about breast cancer, the nfl want to appear to care, and ship a load of merch they usually wouldn't sell

pretty sure the woprld knows about breast cancer, the nfl want to appear to care, and ship a load of merch they usually wouldn't sell

Pretty sure the world knows about mental health as well. Every company/business that aligns with a charity does for largely selfish reasons. But there seems to be a special dislike for the NFL when they do it.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure the world knows about mental health as well. Every company/business that aligns with a charity does for largely selfish reasons. But there seems to be a special dislike for the NFL when they do it.

IT's there we care about women line while they basically were telling players to beat women in private, not in public on elevators

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rapoport saying that there's talk of a game in Mexico city next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The second coming of Haynesworth

chris-ivory-has-no-issues-with-suh-2.gif%3Fw%3D1000

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

he engages both defender and then breaks off the right one to make a tackle but Ivory spins out, hes still putting in a shift.. dont expect it to last long though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Philbin has been fired! no surprise really

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Second year in a row a coach has got fired after the Wembley game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

phatkev wrote: »
    Philbin has been fired! no surprise really

Osi and Carlson had it called yesterday by saying that unless there was a miraculous comeback, he was getting fired before they left London. This was in the 3rd quarter, just before I switched over for the Ireland-Italy match in the RWC. With the news breaking just now, that could be possible!

I wonder what the future holds for Philbin, who by a number of accounts had very little control over the locker room for a long time, and whom some suggested even encouraged the Ritchie Incognito incident. Not only that but after he left GB in 2010, the overall inventiveness and balance of the offensive has if anything gotten stronger imo. Not very likely, but hopefully this makes teams cool off a little on our current offensive co-ordinator (and now play caller) Tom Clements who was QB coach from 2006-11, and who obviously has a huge connection and understanding with Rodgers. :o

For a guy who made his name through GBs offense earlier in Rogers career, it just worries me for his sake that Miami have been pretty vanilla in his time there. And the Incognito stuff really leaves a kind of bitter taste in the mouth.

Did anyone else think that Nat and Carlson were awesome yesterday by the way? I know they always are (easily my favourite punditry group on either side of the ocean) but when you see how much Sky fap over half nobodies, not only did they not do that with Osi, but they did a great job getting him involved and bringing out his personality, and a couple of times he was genuinely laughing his ass off, saying he found Nat hilarious. They are probably my favourite TV duo in any sport actually, now that Ithink about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Not sure if this has been posted, in the aftermath of Joe Philbin's firing in Miami, a couple of reports coming out about Ryan Tannehill's unusual week playing against the scout team.

Apparently after the Week 3 Bills loss, Philbin told the practice squad to take it easy in scrimmages against Tannehill, as they had been intercepting him frequently. After they picked off two more passes he apparently shouted at them to "enjoy your practice squad paychecks"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25328471/report-dolphins-practice-squad-was-told-to-go-easy-on-ryan-tannehill

With his newly signed 2nd contract, and a team made up of plenty of lower-end earners, I'm sure this entitled attitude will not wash with a lot of them.

**bonus** Suh turned up for full pads practice in Trainers.

another year another line of oops we should of made the decision that didn't give the seahawks the game

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25328927/nfl-head-of-officiating-admits-officials-erred-at-end-of-lions-seahawks-game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

poldebruin wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted, in the aftermath of Joe Philbin's firing in Miami, a couple of reports coming out about Ryan Tannehill's unusual week playing against the scout team.

Apparently after the Week 3 Bills loss, Philbin told the practice squad to take it easy in scrimmages against Tannehill, as they had been intercepting him frequently. After they picked off two more passes he apparently shouted at them to "enjoy your practice squad paychecks"

I dunno which is more embarrassing for Tannehill, the fact that he was enough of a toolbag to say something like that to guys who were intercepting him, or the fact they were intercepting him so frequently his coach had to tell them to go easy on him (a real recipe for success when gameday roles around).

I have a feeling I'll be putting Mariota in to start for fantasy for the next few weeks...

EDIT: Just as an aside, is anyone else finding that clicking on cbs links in the last two posts they are just getting redirected to the CBS homepage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement