Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

:( That about sums up the week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

:( That about sums up the week :mad:

At last when ye play us (Bears) nobody will be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

And there goes Vernon to the Bronco's, thanks Jed.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Vernon Davis traded, Hayne signed to practice squad, and looks like Gabbert will start this week. Fun times indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Vernon Davis traded, Hayne signed to practice squad, and looks like Gabbert will start this week. Fun times indeed!

At the end of last season you could have thought up some worst case senarios. Gabbert starting would have been one. Some of the others you could have guessed but you still wouldnt have come close to the disaster zone the niners have become.

• Advertisement

Feicin merrygoround at Levi these days! VD traded why?, Hayne signed to practice sq, Bush on IR thank god, Hyde, Pinion etc on ice, Shaun Draughn and Pierre Thomas added to RB situation, Chris Davis to 2ndary and that was just since the weekend!

Now to know who is starting and who our QB will be? :pac:

Don't worry our number one RB is Kendall Gaskins, were safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Blaine Gabbert to start! ...at this stage you have to assume the 49ers are actively trying to loose and are playing for draft picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Blaine Gabbert to start! ...at this stage you have to assume the 49ers are actively trying to loose and are playing for draft picks.

Gabbert actually played alright in pre season. I know he was pretty terrible in the real games he played in the league but who knows maybe he got braver in the intervening time. Probably gives the team just as much chance to win as Kaepernick right now.

Nice to get the W. Still some long plays given up. Gabbert moved and passed well.

In other news, the RB merrygoround continues. Pierre Thomas Released and Travaris Cadet signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Considering how the season is going, the atmosphere in Levi's was excellent for the Atlanta game! Very mixed reaction when Kaep stepped onto the field for his 2 plays. First half was good play, 2nd not so much. Kaep is all but gone from the team for next year according to Bay area media. D stepped up big time...Bowman in particular was like his old self.
    On the stadium bit, gorgeous stadium. Not huge and bowl like, like Metlife. Takes a while to get to from the city or SFO area but easy on 2 trains.

Any pictures?

@Eric_Branch: Wow. The #49ers have placed Colin Kaepernick on season-ending injured reserve. Promoted practice squad QB Dylan Thompson to active roster.
    Don't know what to think anymore. If Gabbert is the answer, what the **** is the question.

They must of decided that Kapernick is finished at the 49ers, and once he doesn't get injured they don't have to pay him anymore via the rubbish contract he has.(And some will say deserve)

I'm afraid the good old days are gone for a long time, and I can't see them coming back until there's new owners.

mickmc7 wrote: »
    @Eric_Branch: Wow. The #49ers have placed Colin Kaepernick on season-ending injured reserve. Promoted practice squad QB Dylan Thompson to active roster.
    Don't know what to think anymore. If Gabbert is the answer, what the **** is the question.

I don't think anyone in the organization thinks Gabbert is the answer but to be fair to Gabbert he has actually been very good. He's playing with no running game and one receiver and he's not turned over the ball or looked like he's playing safe. I've been impressed with him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

so Adam Gase and Vic Fangio look like a good coaching setup, someone should really make one of those the HC and the other a coordinator. That would be a really good idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    Things can't really get much worse at this point, the 49ers appear to be getting a reputation around the league as going cheap with their coaching staff.

Stands to reason why coaches won't come, even though the roster is very talented. The 49ers have gone from one of the best paid coaching teams to one of the worst paid.

Apparently even some players have expressed their concern about the whole situation. Just doesn't look good all around.

Still 20 years ago there was this it may be remembered as the worst superbowl ever but it marked an epic offensive performance and ensured Steve Young walked into the Hall of Fame.

Have to laugh at the innocence and naivety of the bolded bit, nearly a year ago now.

Things can always get worse, always. I couldn't even put into words every terrible thing that has happened this year. The latest is that the GM is apparently coaching the defensive bakcs.

Maybe he should be doing some draft prep because from my point of view the last 3 drafts have been poor despite us having the most picks in the NFL in that period, very little in quality players have come through in that time.

Even 2011 isn't looking that good. 2010 was good but really how much influence did Trent have in that draft.

If he doesn't hit a home run in each of the first rounds next year I think he should be gone by this time next year.

Oh yeah, and leave the coaching to the coaches.

The 49ers will own a pick between 3 and 8 in draft. 2 maybe possible depending on strength of schedule, but most likely we are looking at pick 4 or 5, assuming a loss to the Rams and Browns and Chargers losing.

The only question would be could Dallas pull off a win over the Redskins who have nothing to play for.

The season is a lost one and I don't think its going to get much better in 2016.

I was thinking, who they should go for in the draft, and I came up, with we need someone on the offence line probably a guard, I know there a bit inexperienced there except for Boon but it's the one part of the field where the 49ers are getting hammered for the last year.

I'd stick for Gabbert for now as QB but I won't write off Kapernick just yet.

QB, O-Line, Pass Rusher, LB, D-Line, Wide receiver. They could go absolutely anywhere I think.

They have been so bad they could do with improvement everywhere. I think Kaepernick is done to be honest. If the coaching staff is in place for next year they could wait until then for a QB but I'd think if Goff is there they should jump on him.

I think Boone is likely gone in the off season so 2 new Guards are needed. The hope is that Anthony Davis comes back at RT. I think they can look for O-line help in free agency. I don't think there is any need to spend a top 5 pick on a guard.

One thing is for sure though if this draft is not a good one it should be the end for Trent Baalke.

• Advertisement

So Tomsula got the bullet. The problems run far far deeper than him but it's a start. Chryst should be next.
    Payton's name being mentioned, think I'd be happy enough with him.

Fell asleep last night as the Rams drove into FG territory in OT. Thought that was it. Checked this morning to see a W?! Blocked FG and drive back down straight away to put the old man in to win it. Nice!

Then the bullet for Jim. Hardly surprising. But Jeez, they wasted no time :eek:

Draft, hmmm. O Line needed for sure for sure but perhaps a higher premium on some real flank speed from the paddock, O&D

Well sort these into order of preference if you will....

Sean Payton
    David Shaw
    Adam Gase
    Mike Holmgren
    Hue Jackson
    Mike Shanahan
    Chip Kelly
    (Other .. Specify)

My preferred order is as I've listed them, but wouldn't like to see us give up more than a 5th round pick for Payton if that is necessary, we need all the draft picks we can get.

To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Baalke as well, he is in last chance saloon at this stage.

Jed York Press conference was earlier...

The gist is, we had a bad season, made a mistake hiring Tomsula. No admittance that firing Harbaugh was a bad move.

Trent remains the GM and will be in charge of the hiring of the new coach. Only Tomsula has thus far been released. Hope they are not going to impose any coaches/coordinators on the new coach.

Mentioned Eddie Debratolo is acting as advisor to York. Mentioned that at length.

Also said that he will be less visible on social media etc.

No internal candidates are being considered for the HC role
    . Well thank f**k for that.
    At this time
    So we could still end up with Mangini or Sprano?

Sean Payton has to be the top of everyone's list. I don't think he'll want to go to San Fran. Much better options out there in terms of projects with potential to win soon - Eagles, Giants to think of just two.

I think Jackson might be a good fit. But lots of time to let the dust settle before jumping with a new coach.

I'm not sure about Payton being such a sure thing. He'd need a very strong DC, his defenses in NO the last few years have been pure muck.

You'd think he would sort out the offense but then he won't have a Drew Brees level QB so that is not guaranteed either. I mean I'd be happy to give him a shot but not at the price of a second round pick.

I'd love David Shaw but no sign of him leaving Stanford unfortunately.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Payton being such a sure thing. He'd need a very strong DC, his defenses in NO the last few years have been pure muck.

You'd think he would sort out the offense but then he won't have a Drew Brees level QB so that is not guaranteed either. I mean I'd be happy to give him a shot but not at the price of a second round pick.

I'd love David Shaw but no sign of him leaving Stanford unfortunately.

That's true NO defence has been terrible the last few years. It's a tough one I think Payton is quality, also wherever he goes he may bring Brees with him. Just a thought that is in my head but I think it might happen

Advertisement