Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is Michael Crabtree going to hit free agency?

I know he only got 5yds last night but maybe there's a franchise out there who reckon he can be a key part of their offense. He's sure to get a mighty contract somewhere

Will the Niners lock him up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My impression is that Crabtree is going to rate himself an awful lot higher in contract negotiations than the 9ers will. Would be surprised if he doesn't walk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is Michael Crabtree going to hit free agency?

I know he only got 5yds last night but maybe there's a franchise out there who reckon he can be a key part of their offense. He's sure to get a mighty contract somewhere

Will the Niners lock him up?

I'd imagine he will, question is will some team pay him based on his single good year, 2 years ago?

Probably someone will.

I foresee him leaving in Free Agency and possibly Vernon Davis leaving as well, he is on far too much for how he has played this year.

I'd like to see Gore brought back for 1 more year. I think he deserves another year to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a legitimate question to be asked as to whether Davis and Crabtree had poor years because of them or because of Kaep though...

Davis is top tier TE - he is a match up nightmare and was a monster in the postseason the last few years. He has been underutilised to a ludicrous degree this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

can't blame kapernick for Davis poor year, he hasn't been open and he has a lot of drops.

I'm afraid he is no longer a top tier te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Amazing how quickly a football teams fortunes can change in such a quick period of time.
    SF really only have themselves to blame and it comes from the top down, granted Harbaugh has not had a great year and putting so much faith in Kap may have backfired, it was always predicted teams would adapt to Kap but maybr not so quickly.
    Niners tried to make him someone he possibly cannot be, hopefuly he can revive his own fortunes next year.
    Its really hard to see the niners be competitive without Harbaugh if they lose the Smith's and gore among others.

Another HUGE mistake was building Levi stadium, its an absolute disaster of a stadium. They have sucked the life out of the niners, there is zero fear factor for teams going there, its main design is to keep people out of their seats and in the resteraunts and shops.
    Granted Candlestick was falling apart but real passionate fans went there, thus new stadium has priced out the genuine fan and is geared towards silicon valley, its very very sad.
    Also its a million miles away from SF, a nightmare to get to.
    I really can't understand how they could mess it up so bad, you have a blank canvass and you puke up this piece of crap, look what the seahawks did with their stadium, designed it to make it louder, one of the more impressive stadiumd I've been in.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

In my mind Kaep cannot take all the blame. Just look at the team first half against the chargers and the ground game. We moved away from that pretty much the whole season and that comes from Harbaugh and Roman.

Now don't get me wrong I was hoping Harbaugh was gonna stay and they get rid of Roman

The next few weeks is gonna be telling they need to appoint an offensive HC and keep Tomsula and Fangio.

I wouldn't mind Tomsula as HC, with Fangio as DC. They would need a strong OC in that case though.

Agree they completely changed the offensive philosophy but didn't have the players to do so.

Also ineffective O-Line play, and injuries probably had a lot to do with the struggles in the running game.

Fangio getting a lot of love from the beat writers. He's probably my favoured choice right now, as word is that Tomsula would bring in the Raiders DC.

So ideally Fangio as HC, and look for a strong OC to come in and look after the offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

I too would be happy with Fangio. He has done a top notch job for the 9ers and must be retained. However, never being a HC prevents him from being a shoe-in. Ultimately, he deserves a shot as HC. Rex Ryan is another candidate I'd be comfortable with. Like you say though, in either situation the OC needs to be a strong choice.

• Advertisement

Thought this might be the best place for this.

In 1986 Peter King was embedded with the 49ers for the draft. This gave him great access to what happened that year. In the event it was one of the best drafts the 49ers ever had.

The draft was 12 rounds then and we made a lot of trades including picking up key picks for the 1987 draft. The following article was written in 1990 when people had a chance to see how the players turned out.

The 49ers walked away from that draft with 5 starters including Charles Haley, Tom Rathman and John Taylor. They also stockpiled picks for the following year(including a first and a second rounder).

King introduces the article with this:
    The Genius At Work: Bill Walsh Built The San Francisco 49ers Through Brilliant Trading And Drafting, And The 1986 Draft Was His Masterpiece

Remember at this time there was no free agency so your roster was built through trades and the draft.

The link to the article is here, a story on ninersnation.com discussing it is here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Interview by Brian Murphy from 2nd Captains with Jed York about Harbaugh etc. Worth a listen...

http://www.knbr.com/common/page.php?pt=49ers+CEO+Jed+York+discusses+Jim+Harbaugh+fallout+on+KNBR&id=11541&is_corp=0

I wouldn't claim to know much about the 49ers, would be interested in yer thoughts, but he sounds pretty disingenuous...

"Winning isn’t the only thing that matters. Winning with class is what matters."
    Hard to reconcile that statement with his claim that it was all mutual. Also this:

"What were the ‘philosophical differences'
    Jim and I had those conversations. Those were personal conversations — those are not conversations we’re going to talk about.

[They were about] football philosophy.

I realize that’s a lame answer. I understand that fans want every single detail, I understand that you want every detail — and I’m not going to throw Jim under the bus, I respect him too much."

Saying you won't throw him under the bus is more or less saying "it was his fault", without having any inclination to clarify how that was the case.

Yeah, winning with class etc..

York had final say on McDonald staying with the team, on Aldon Smith playing the week he got arrested and on the contract givn to Smith (5th year option). Not sure what Harbaugh had to do with any of that.

Good man Dwight...

Dwight-Clark-on-Twitter--_22Records-can-be-broken-but-there-is-only-ONE-_JoeMontana--GOAT_22.png

Very quiet in here given the chaos in 49erland.

Harbaugh out. Entire staff out (possibly except for Tom Rathman)

Jim Tomsula is in.

Now he could work out well but the history of position coaches going straight to HC does not fill me with confidence.

The suspicion is that JT was the guy they wanted all along. Someone who would do what he's told and someone who won't rock the boat too much. I'm willing to give him a chance but York and Baalke look very poor in all of this.

We have lost an elite head coach and an elite defensive coordinator.

We are talking about bringing in Marc Trestman who we fired unceremoniously 20 years ago.

There is talk that York had spoken of JT capable of winning more games than JH many months go. JH got wind of this and hadn't spoken to JT in the last few months of the season.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the whole HC search was, obviously they decided on their guy months ago, look at the press conference on JH's firing and on JT's hiring, similar language (looking for a teacher, someone to win with class etc.)

The whole thing strikes me as a bit like Jerry Jones firing of Jimmy Johnson back in the day and that is not a comparison I want to be making.

I like Tomsula but there is definately something not sitting quite right with me on the whole situation.

We need to pick clever coaches and to be honest the loss of Fangio is worrying (I trust tomsula and his relationship with the players) but if we do not get in a top class OC to get kap on the straight and narrow and who will utilise the weapons that the team have (gore, crabtree, boldin, davis) then we are in severe trouble.

There has been a lot written about the season crabtree and davis have had but with regards davis one season does not make you a bad ball player.

There were many bad plays throughout the year and because of the I am thankfull Roman is gone.

The Press conference to introduce JT didn't go great. He didn't seem to be able to answer questions on how the 49ers are going to play or what is philosophy is.

Anyway, it's only a press conference but at one point Trent Baalke jumped in saying "Eh, well we will run the ball at some point"

This is bad as it appears the FO are dictating to the coach how the game should be called.

I'm concerned about the whole situation.

On the staff it seems QB coach Geep Chryst is staying so hopefully that will benefit Kaepernick. Running back coach Tom Rathman is sticking around too.

It looks like Raiders DC Jason Tarver will be moving to SF. There is talk of switching to a 4-3 defense which certainly won't help in terms of continuity but we should have the personel to do it. It would be one way of using Borland, Willis and Bowman at the same time.

Aaron Lynch and Aldon Smith would have to bulk up to play 4-3 DE.

Also talk of former Browns HC Rob Chudzinski coming in as OC. He was Carolina's OC when Cam first got there so he may be a good hire I think. Better than Trestman anyway. Issue maybe him getting a HC job after a year or 2 and then needing to change OC again.

Anyway, it's a long time until preseason so hopefully they get things sorted out.

Steve Young catching his own pass...Pretty cool video...

http://i.imgur.com/NLibeVw.webm

So the FO are now getting involved in game day game management...we've hired the raiders DC, Eric Mangini and Tony Sprano. Our HC is a guy no one wanted to even interview and we have dismantled the best coaching setup in the NFL.

This is going to end well.

1511121_640239146122045_3648609645241673950_n.jpg?oh=865606c3a956adf494c8be281dd02515&oe=552D2610&__gda__=1428934208_2a1a01a5cb136aab77d2875eb95d93e6

Also Bill Walsh: A Football life airs on Friday in the US. Not sure if Sky will show it but it should pop up in the usual places...

And just to cheer everyone up, this happened 26 years ago yesterday...Montana's finest moment?

• Advertisement

Watched the Bill Walsh documentary tonight, excellent show, well put together.

It's obvious the man battled some demons and alienated some people and he really regretted quitting when he did. He certainly ranks among the greatest coaches of all time.

This just about sums up this terrible offseason (and we haven't even gotten to the superbowl yet)

jg3l6a8o4ua9g7czg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54,982 ✭✭✭✭walshb

adrian522 wrote: »
    Also Bill Walsh: A Football life airs on Friday in the US. Not sure if Sky will show it but it should pop up in the usual places...

And just to cheer everyone up, this happened 26 years ago yesterday...Montana's finest moment?

Greatest final drive in NFL history.

Things can't really get much worse at this point, the 49ers appear to be getting a reputation around the league as going cheap with their coaching staff.

Stands to reason why coaches won't come, even though the roster is very talented. The 49ers have gone from one of the best paid coaching teams to one of the worst paid.

Apparently even some players have expressed their concern about the whole situation. Just doesn't look good all around.

Still 20 years ago there was this it may be remembered as the worst superbowl ever but it marked an epic offensive performance and ensured Steve Young walked into the Hall of Fame.

skitch.png

adrian522 wrote: »
    Things can't really get much worse at this point, the 49ers appear to be getting a reputation around the league as going cheap with their coaching staff.

Stands to reason why coaches won't come, even though the roster is very talented. The 49ers have gone from one of the best paid coaching teams to one of the worst paid.

Apparently even some players have expressed their concern about the whole situation. Just doesn't look good all around.

Still 20 years ago there was this it may be remembered as the worst superbowl ever but it marked an epic offensive performance and ensured Steve Young walked into the Hall of Fame.

Well from the looks of it things have just taken a turn and not for the better.
    Gore going
    Willis & Smith now retiring (allegedly)

Yeah, just when you think things can't get any worse Jed York steps in. (I'm assuming this is all his fault for the moment).

We could suddenly be very active in Free agency as we will get an additional $10m + in cap space from Willis and Smith if they both retire.

TBH I half expected smith to retire but never thought willis would yet and not even going to think of the fact of seeing frank in another teams uniform....

• Advertisement

the worrying thing will be the leadership on the field who is gonna take that up

Advertisement