Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

medic780 wrote: »
    Hi guys the HSE have advertised for student paramedics here:
    http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/7636.htm
    Take note of the short timeframe in which to apply for these positions. Best of luck to anybody who does apply.
    Brilliant :) best of luck everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kwall04

Does any one know the timelines involved or compensation for training? hope it does not drag on as long as the ico positions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

kwall04 wrote: »
    Does any one know the timelines involved or compensation for training? hope it does not drag on as long as the ico positions!

All information on timeframes and everything is in the additional candidate information booklet on the site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Best of luck to all applying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Kicking myself I dont have the C1 licence yet. Was planning to get it this summer.

Oh well.....2020 recruitment here I come! :cool:

EDIT: AAAARRRGGGGHHHH! I CANT BELIEVE HOW AGITATED THIS IS MAKING ME FEEL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Too bad about the C1 licence needed before applying, makes it a lot easier for HSE though during the paper sift. Best of luck to all who apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Question re the C1 licence..

"Be the holder of a full unendorsed Class C1 Driving Licence on application. (Note UK 101 Restriction, NI 79 (NFHR) Restriction & Irish 78 Restriction is not acceptable)"

What's the story with the UK 101 restriction? Passed my driving test in the Uk and kept my C1 but now its seems its not accepted??

Edit. Seems to be a medical is required to renew the C1, which I've passed because I renewed once already my C1 is valid up until 8/20116
    Phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is an early close for applications likely if they get a lot of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

iceage wrote: »
    Question re the C1 licence..

"Be the holder of a full unendorsed Class C1 Driving Licence on application. (Note UK 101 Restriction, NI 79 (NFHR) Restriction & Irish 78 Restriction is not acceptable)"

What's the story with the UK 101 restriction? Passed my driving test in the Uk and kept my C1 but now its seems its not accepted??

Edit. Seems to be a medical is required to renew the C1, which I've passed because I renewed once already my C1 is valid up until 8/20116
    Phew!!

Isn't the 101 restriction something to do with someone who gained the licence by grandfather rights? ie. never actually have sat the test. My father has that from 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The UK 101 Restriction is 'Not for hire or reward'. This means that you cannot make a profit or living based on your licence category.
    This restriction has been in place for a number of years and effected many applicants going back to the days of requiring just a D1 licence.

So if you have a UK driving licence with restriction '101' next to the required category then your licence is not valid for the purpose of and does not meet the criteria for the student paramedic recruitment competition. Therefore your application will be rendered invalid.

• Advertisement

Nothing is mentioned of the D1? Just the C on public Jobs.

BX 19 wrote: »

I was just using the D1 as an example to show that the '101 restriction' with regard to the driving licence and application to the Ambulance Service has been in place for quite a few years now, it's not a new policy.

If you hold a UK licence and it has '101' next to a category then that category of licence cannot be used for hire or reward, this renders it invalid for the application because you are 'rewarded' as in you earn a salary partly based on your driving licence as it is a requirement for the job.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I was just using the D1 as an example to show that the '101 restriction' with regard to the driving licence and application to the Ambulance Service has been in place for quite a few years now, it's not a new policy.

If you hold a UK licence and it has '101' next to a category then that category of licence cannot be used for hire or reward, this renders it invalid for the application because you are 'rewarded' as in you earn a salary partly based on your driving licence as it is a requirement for the job.

Ahh I get ya.

D1 is required too
    Candidate must hold a full unendorsed Class D1 Licence OR secure, at their own expense, as a provision of their contract of employment, a full Class D1 Licence within 12 months of commencement of employment or within 12 months of reaching the age of 21. Failure to meet this mandatory requirement will result in termination of employment, at the discretion
    of management.

From here:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/NRS0845_Additional_Campaign_Information_Student_Paramedic.pdf

If I don't get this, I'm off to scotland, sick of this country.

flazio wrote: »
    Is an early close for applications likely if they get a lot of them?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

BX 19 wrote: »

It's mentioned in the additional campaign information

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

annoying as my c test is on fri and the closing date is thursday. very annoying

annoying as my c test is on fri and the closing date is thursday. very annoying

CANCELLATIONS! Ring the RSA at every free possibility!

Thanks for the clarification bang bang. Still a kick in the bollix though as this does not pose a problem driving with the C1 for Voluntaries such as Red Cross, Civil defence, Order of Malta etc.

I take it that I would have to take and pass a C1 CPC then to remove the 101 restriction?

Edit:

Found this on the RSA website.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/inserts_explanation_codes.pdf

Thanks for the clarification bang bang. Still a kick in the bollix though as this does not pose a problem driving with the C1 for Voluntaries such as Red Cross, Civil defence, Order of Malta etc.

I take it that I would have to take and pass a C1 CPC then to remove the 101 restriction?

Edit:

Found this on the RSA website.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/inserts_explanation_codes.pdf

Do you hold a UK licence or an ROI licence?

I exchanged my UK licence for an Irish one back in 1996. Way I'm reading it now.. 101 is a restriction "not for gain" in the UK, and 101 on a pink Irish Licence(Which I have) is for a regular Medical, which is due Aug 2016.

• Advertisement

I exchanged my UK licence for an Irish one back in 1996. Way I'm reading it now.. 101 is a restriction "not for gain" in the UK, and 101 on a pink Irish Licence(Which I have) is for a regular Medical, which is due Aug 2016.

If you have the Irish EU model with restriction 101 then you are fine. If it has restriction 78 then you do not meet the criteria.

This is how it was some years ago when the D1 was mandatory on application. Some folk had and held onto their UK licence, some went to the UK for the test as the waiting times were minimal compared to up to one year in places here. In the UK you could pass a car test and also be rewarded a D1 licence but it had the restriction 101 not for hire or reward.

I think you'll be fine based on my interpretation of your licence and restriction, as in you hold an Irish licence with restriction 101 - Medical.

The best of luck.

Thanks again for that clarification bang bang, I also believe that is the case and I have no 78 restriction. There are some other things I have to weigh up re the requirements/logistics for the application but at least that should put the license issue to bed hopefully.

Best of luck to any here who decide to take the leap as well, I'm sure I'll be stalking about here for info for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I'm 18 and was about to apply when I saw that you need a science subject from leaving cert which I don't have. I'm in the Civil Defence and got my C licence in Jan without having to do CPC. Such a pain in the ass :mad:

Yea, the science subject is a little bit silly to be honest. It's not as if they're relevant. I did physics for my LC years ago which has sweet F all to do with emergency medicine, yet still is accepted as a science subject.

It's even more sillier that they require a C1 on application. Scottish Ambulance Service just require a manual B permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I'M sure the reason the HSE, being the HSE, want you to have C1 full and D1 prov licences is to save them money from training their staff to drive them vehicles. The various county councils are following suit w/regards to hiring fire service personnel. effing cutbacks

D Trent wrote: »
    I'M sure the reason the HSE, being the HSE, want you to have C1 full and D1 prov licences is to save them money from training their staff to drive them vehicles. The various county councils are following suit w/regards to hiring fire service personnel. effing cutbacks

A full driving licence has always been a requirement for the ambulance service, I should add in modern times post the driver/attendant era.

When the first of the CEN compliant ambulances came along in late 2003 the category of licence changed because the weight of the vehicle went up. Current staff were allocated funds to apply for the theory and driving tests with vehicles being supplied for the test, no driving lessons or training were provided.

When recruitment began again with the taking in of qualified staff the entrance criteria changed to include the requirement to hold a C1 driving licence.
    Driver training for all staff was then rolled out.

Recruitment from 2008 has been for student paramedics who come into the job and start from scratch so to speak, as in not qualified. Part of the entrance criteria included the requirement to hold a C1 driving licence.
    Another module of paramedic training in Ireland includes comprehensive driver training. So you are in fact wrong in stating that the HSE want to save money by not providing driver training. As I've stated driver training is very much part of training to become a qualified paramedic. This training is fully funded by the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mad for road

D Trent wrote: »
    I'm 18 and was about to apply when I saw that you need a science subject from leaving cert which I don't have. I'm in the Civil Defence and got my C licence in Jan without having to do CPC. Such a pain in the ass :mad:

If you are a registered EMT, you are exempt from needing a science subject in ur leaving cert. requirement of the c1 licence is because the weight of the ambulances.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Hi lads/ lassies! Am I right in saying this is the first of two recruitment drives between 2013/ 2014? Or do ya's recon i was mis-informed and this is it ontil the new cao course? Reason I ask is I'm due to sit the leaving this year (June) and have been waiting forever for NAS to recruit.....hoping I haven't missed the boat on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Pretty crap the way their only giving until 11/04/2013 for the C licence. I have my learners permit and was delighted this came up until I read that.

Going to go and do my C test as planned, and hopefully they'll recruit again in the near future for a similar post.

Best of Luck to all that have applied and meet the criteria.

FiverFriday!

• Advertisement

Bang Bang wrote: »
    A full driving licence has always been a requirement for the ambulance service, I should add in modern times post the driver/attendant era.

When the first of the CEN compliant ambulances came along in late 2003 the category of licence changed because the weight of the vehicle went up. Current staff were allocated funds to apply for the theory and driving tests with vehicles being supplied for the test, no driving lessons or training were provided.

When recruitment began again with the taking in of qualified staff the entrance criteria changed to include the requirement to hold a C1 driving licence.
    Driver training for all staff was then rolled out.

Recruitment from 2008 has been for student paramedics who come into the job and start from scratch so to speak, as in not qualified. Part of the entrance criteria included the requirement to hold a C1 driving licence.
    Another module of paramedic training in Ireland includes comprehensive driver training. So you are in fact wrong in stating that the HSE want to save money by not providing driver training. As I've stated driver training is very much part of training to become a qualified paramedic. This training is fully funded by the HSE.

It's honestly cost saving measure I think. Scottish Ambulance Service fund the gaining to the C1 to successful Ambulance Technician applicants if they do not have hold it beforehand. They then are put through the IHCD driving course too, similar to the upcoming PHECC driving standard. So, yea, it's cost savings. Or perhaps the Scottish Ambulance Service has money to burn.

Advertisement