Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Update on the bootloader unlock...

So it turns out the "your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking" message was a load of bullsh1t.

Their server was actually down, why it doesnt show a "server error" message instead boggles the mind.

It came back up after 9 and i manged to get my unlock code sent by email and now its unlocked.

If any of you are thinking of rooting in the future, my advice is to take advantage of the server now while its up and get the bootloader unlock code.

To get the code requires no modification whatsoever to your phone, so you might as well get it and save it for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davidh99

Hi,

Have a Moto 4G on Three and based in Dublin City Center but I'm only ever seeing the H+ icon on the status bar which I'm led to believe is just HSDPA+ and not full 4G. I have 4G selected in my network settings so not sure what else I can do.

Has anyone seen a 4G/LTE icon appear on these yet?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

davidh99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Have a Moto 4G on Three and based in Dublin City Center but I'm only ever seeing the H+ icon on the status bar which I'm led to believe is just HSDPA+ and not full 4G. I have 4G selected in my network settings so not sure what else I can do.

Thanks
    Do you have a 4G enabled SIM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Hi,

Thanks

I would give 3 a ring,some people are having problems when moving from 3g to 4g with them.

• Advertisement

I did get a new micro-sim for it when I got it but wasn't aware that anything else needed to change on the SIM side. I presumed it'd be available automatically if the phone was capable of using it. Do I need to contact three for them to activate something on my account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I did get a new micro-sim for it when I got it but wasn't aware that anything else needed to change on the SIM side. I presumed it'd be available automatically if the phone was capable of using it. Do I need to contact three for them to activate something on my account?

Yep you do.

thks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Anybody going from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4? Update message came up for me yesterday. Camera better but problems with dialler numbers and battery reported? Going to hold off for now.

So which method did people use to root their moto G, or which one would you suggest?

I would like to have recovery installed, and I am on the latest android version 4.4.4.

So far I've looked at Philz way:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2639583

And the MotoTool way:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2635706

I tried Paul O'Brien's superboot method but it just made my screen go black, its not compatible with the XT1032 model apparently:
    http://www.theandroidcop.com/how-to-root-motorola-moto-g/

Not only did I think think the phone was bricked, I almost sh1t bricks also! :pac:
    Had to hold down the power button for 20 seconds to get rid of the blank screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm just wondering... The camera on the Moto G records in 720p but whenever I look at my videos on Google Photos It's always in 1080p.

Not complaining but I'm just curious.

Is this Google upscaling or what?

I remember on my old Nexus S it could only record at 480p until Google pushed a software update that enabled 720p.

Rooted my Phone using MotoTool and the ClockWorkMod and its great.

I'd trust the MotoTool over the other utilities to be honest, you can do a lot more like flash the Google Play Edition Firmware for example.

Only caveat is that you need the .NET 4.0 framework to run it, but it's a very specialized tool for the Moto G.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

waveform wrote: »
    Only caveat is that you need the .NET 4.0 framework to run it, but it's a very specialized tool for the Moto G.

Should anyone need to get around this caveat here's the link to the .NET framework 4.0 installer direct from microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=17718

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Anyone have any recommendations of a good case for the Moto G or know where I can get one. I am currently looking at getting the Otterbox commuter case but would welcome any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭tiegan

Wombatman wrote: »
    Anybody going from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4? Update message came up for me yesterday. Camera better but problems with dialler numbers and battery reported? Going to hold off for now.

That's interesting. My battery has definitely run down quicker that last few days since I updated to 4.4.4 - never occurred to me that it could be the update. Thanks for the heads up. I also did not know that the camera was improved. Is there a thread about this or how did you hear about it? Am very interested thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

unknown13 wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations of a good case for the Moto G or know where I can get one. I am currently looking at getting the Otterbox commuter case but would welcome any recommendations.
    Go for the extra protection with the defender, there's way too many stories of smashed screens on here.
    Got one for my wife and nephew a few months back and it's top notch and genuine, can't figure out how they are doing it for this price. http://www.buyur.co.uk/otterbox-defender-35424.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Occono wrote: »
    I only just got a notification saying there's an update available.

People were saying it was causing Chrome and streaming issues in here, should I hold off? I'm on 4.4.2.

There is an update for chrome that is causing problems, I updated my chrome app yesterday and ended up having to restore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

Lovely phone, I recommended it to a friend last month and he hasn't had a day of problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Go for the extra protection with the defender, there's way too many stories of smashed screens on here.
    Got one for my wife and nephew a few months back and it's top notch and genuine, can't figure out how they are doing it for this price. http://www.buyur.co.uk/otterbox-defender-35424.html
    How does that protect the screen? It just has to fall a certain way and good night.

Christ lad it's £22 for a bit of plasticy/rubber.

How does that protect the screen? It just has to fall a certain way and good night.

Ya and shir what's the point in car insurance? Just crash a certain way and good night!
    Absolutely absurd mentality.
    My phone slipped off the arm of a couch before and onto a pint glass which smashed and pierced the in built screen protector of the Otterbox defender, it took the damage and saved the screen LAD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just looking at that photo on the link it looks like a solid enough case to me. Plenty of protection all round.

Ya and shir what's the point in car insurance? Just crash a certain way and good night!
    Absolutely absurd mentality.
    My phone slipped off the arm of a couch before and onto a pint glass which smashed and pierced the in built screen protector of the Otterbox defender, it took the damage and saved the screen LAD.
    I go for one of these quicker. 3 quid.

Similar to yours, half the price.

DUDE.

Just looking at that photo on the link it looks like a solid enough case to me. Plenty of protection all round.
    Yea, I'm going by the pic aswell, if ya dropped it and it hit the corner of...anything on way down, is the glass not, more than likely, gone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Ever since my Moto G updated to 4.4.4, its keeps switching off when not being used. I unlocked the boot loader and installed the UK ROM on day 1, but its only happening since the update

This a problem with anyone else?

Obviously you're a fan of false economy and buying a cheap case every 3 to 4 months instead of buying a case from a world renowned manufacturer originally which will last you the life time of the phone.
    Your first link is beautiful, imagine opening that flap every time you take your phone out to check a notification, and there's no better look than being on a call and having a flap of fake leather extending from your ear to your neck.

And your second link, wow! It just has made by a Chinese 7 year old quality written all over it, and it also doesn't have an in built screen protector but one of those really "easy" to apply self adhesive ones!
    You'd have to be a rucking fetard to go for any of those options!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

When I initially updated to 4.4.4 my phone dialer kept force closing, incoming calls would force close when I answered, viber would force close too. I did a factory reset and its 100% now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Obviously you're a fan of false economy and buying a cheap case every 3 to 4 months instead of buying a case from a world renowned manufacturer originally which will last you the life time of the phone.
    Your first link is beautiful, imagine opening that flap every time you take your phone out to check a notification, and there's no better look than being on a call and having a flap of fake leather extending from your ear to your neck.

And your second link, wow! It just has made by a Chinese 7 year old quality written all over it, and it also doesn't have an in built screen protector but one of those really "easy" to apply self adhesive ones!

I got this one from a previous recommendation on Boards, have been using it for 8 months now and think it is great.
    Have dropped phone a few time on concrete and tiles etc with no damage (so far).

Costs €2.21 with free shipping from London :cool::eek:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wave-S-Line-Gel-Case-Silicone-Case-Cover-For-Motorola-Moto-G-/181422840515?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item2a3da4dac3

T-Bird wrote: »
    I got this one from a previous recommendation on Boards, have been using it for 8 months now and think it is great.
    Have dropped phone a few time on concrete and tiles etc with no damage (so far).

Costs €2.21 with free shipping from London :cool::eek:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wave-S-Line-Gel-Case-Silicone-Case-Cover-For-Motorola-Moto-G-/181422840515?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item2a3da4dac3
    Yea, that's more like it pricewise for what they are. And a good review from you.

I stuck one of those on my 4yr+ still going strong Samsung Galaxy Ace, it's still on it. They last just fine if minded, like everything else. Real Leather, not that you'd tell the dif will split/crack, as it's known, they're the false economy.

World Renowned(?), they come with a 1 year warranty and they're built in China aswell anyway. Probably by the same 7 year old in the same Factory actually.

Nothing wrong with the Flap. You've introduced a vulnerability with that wildly expensive case that could cost you the price of a new phone, in the interests of Style.

Or to pay 15+ times the price for the same item cuz it has a name on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Have the second one you quoted for my s4, good case. Missus has the first one you linked for her moto g, again good case. Still think the otterbox looks a decent case, reckon it would do a good job, even landing on a corner, but I'm only guessing. They have a good reputation too (I think) and that adds a sense of value to some. Each to their own anyway, certainly wouldn't dismiss someone for having different ideas to mine.

Advertisement