Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My mac is not compatible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

have been waiting 2 days now for code...:confused:

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

haven't managed to get back on to the app store since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

it comes eventually. I got mine, requested it yesterday

it says within 24hrs...am waiting 48+ now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Sent mine off Wednesday afternoon and received the code about 30 minutes ago.

I like to reinstall my OS's from time to time, now I have the code am I able to download ML multiple times for clean installs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I like to reinstall my OS's from time to time, now I have the code am I able to download ML multiple times for clean installs?

Yes.

The installer automatically deletes itself after installation, though, so save yourself having to download it again, it might be a good idea to burn the DMG inside the installer to a disc first.

Yes.

The installer automatically deletes itself after installation, though, so save yourself having to download it again, it might be a good idea to burn the DMG inside the installer to a disc first.

Whats the best way of doing this....?

Can I add it to a usb key ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, you can use a USB drive. Just burn/restore the DMG using Disk Utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Hi guys, I have a MacBook Pro (July 2007) 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4Gb's of RAM, how do you think Mountain Lion would run on this?

Would a clean install be recommended over an update? I currently have Snow Leopard on it.

One last question! :) I have my laptop backed up on Time Machine, if I install Mountain Lion on it and I'm not happy with it, can I use Time Machine to reload my Snow Leopard backup?

Thanks for any info!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Digidol wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a MacBook Pro (July 2007) 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4Gb's of RAM, how do you think Mountain Lion would run on this?

Would a clean install be recommended over an update? I currently have Snow Leopard on it.

One last question! :) I have my laptop backed up on Time Machine, if I install Mountain Lion on it and I'm not happy with it, can I use Time Machine to reload my Snow Leopard backup?

Thanks for any info!

I have a mid 2010 13" also with a 2.4GHz C2D. 10.8 runs silky smooth.
    I've installed 8GB of RAM but that hardly matters.

5uspect wrote: »

Thanks for your reply! I love some of the features on ML but I'm a bit skeptical about installing it as my laptop is 3 years older than yours at 2007!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Digidol wrote: »
    5uspect wrote: »

Thanks for your reply! I love some of the features on ML but I'm a bit skeptical about installing it as my laptop is 3 years older than yours at 2007!

Running a late 2007 2.2GHz 15" with 4GB and upgraded to ML with no issues. Go for it!

Would I be the only one here thinking this is a heap of S***, just like lion?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

NoDrama wrote: »
    Would I be the only one here thinking this is a heap of S***, just like lion?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

As far as I'm concerned, they can prise Snow Leopard from my cold, dead hands.

Really cannot see any justifiable reason to upgrade?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Why do you not like it?

It's faster than Lion.

That said I can't see myself using any of the new features except maybe the share button and Safari. I already use Dropbox, Simple note etc.

Also full-screen apps are nice on a small screen (granted that's a Lion addition).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone notice that Snow Leopard has been completely pulled from the Store?

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Running a late 2007 2.2GHz 15" with 4GB and upgraded to ML with no issues. Go for it!

Brilliant Paddy, thanks for the advice! Glad to hear you can run it on your laptop with no probs! :)

Traditionally Apple have always discontinued the old OS once the new one is launched. The only reason they were still selling SL post-Lion is because it was needed to install Lion. At this stage, Apple probably figure that if you haven't updated to SL or Lion then you never will. The removal of Lion from the App Store is more strange since it means anyone still running SL whose machine isn't ML-compatible is stuck and can't upgrade to Lion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The removal of Lion from the App Store is more strange since it means anyone still running SL whose machine isn't ML-compatible is stuck and can't upgrade to Lion.

Or will need to buy a compatible Mac = more $

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

So is it worth the upgrade.

1) it's faster
    2) safari is faster.
    3) I never see the beachball
    4) notifications are nice
    5) updating is better, happens in the background
    6) iCloud is half useful

That's worth the price. It is Apple's best .0 release in a long time. Nothing did not work.

Edit: it's faster compared to lion. I remember SL being fast on this machine, bought early 2011. Probably a mid 2010 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Yes.

Not too worried about the download have a 100meg connection and I don't have any CD's or a USB stick big enough I think.

Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Upgraded from Lion on a Mid-2007 iMac with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. No issues with software compatibility and it's noticeably faster than Lion. Speed boost is welcome as it was getting a big sluggish. This should save me from upgrading for another few months at least. Looking forward to IOS 6 now for better integration between all my devices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Finally got around to trying airparrot on my mid 2009 macbook pro and my ATV2, really like it works quite well

You can try it for free but it only works for 20 mins then shuts off

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Got fed up waiting for my up to date code so resubmitted the form and got a code instantly. All installed now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Anyone notice that Snow Leopard has been completely pulled from the Store?

I rang the Apple store and they sold a copy to me on the 26th. Not sure what the story is with Lion, but my Macbook is the late 2007 version so it will probably serve out its retirement on Snow Leopard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

guys i updated my macbook air, can i update my old macbook with the same software, and if so, how?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

jakdublin wrote: »
    Upgraded from Lion on a Mid-2007 iMac with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. No issues with software compatibility and it's noticeably faster than Lion. Speed boost is welcome as it was getting a big sluggish. This should save me from upgrading for another few months at least. Looking forward to IOS 6 now for better integration between all my devices :)

Same setup here too. Seems faster than Lion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

efb wrote: »
    guys i updated my macbook air, can i update my old macbook with the same software, and if so, how?

Click on the purchases tab in the MAS and download ML again.

Advertisement