Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

kbannon wrote: »
    If thats' the case then the dutch buyer will arrive, wire the (not real) money into your friend's account, take the car and leave. A few days later, the wire will bounce and your friend will wonder why they were stupid enough to not listen to your advice.

The only acceptable two payment methods IMO are cash (but there's a potential risk of a follow up burglary) and in-bank transfer. Nothing else is good enough, not draft, not online transfer, not western Union from the Prince of Nigeria, not IOU, etc. If the buyer refuses to do one or other of these then tell them to FO.

Ya that's what I thought too but the Dutch guy is lodging the money by IBAN into AIB no western union or bank drafts which would be an automatic no. It all " seems" pure legit...

I'm not sure what you mean by "in bank transfer" i think we would need to ensure the account the money comes from is actually the Dutch guys account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I'd be surprised after handing over a/c and Iban if your friend ever meets this 'dutch' buyer.

I'd be surprised after handing over a/c and Iban if your friend ever meets this 'dutch' buyer.

Why what'll happen? The account he is using for this sale (if it goes ahead ) is never used there is opno money in it and it won't be used after either.

Still worried though just wondering how this can turn out as a scam - if he doesn't show up that's a good sign obviously in which case we close the account.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You mean what would happen when your friend gives over his bank account details to someone who knows his name and address (as these too would have been provided in order for the buyer to come and see the car).
    ID fraud is easy to achieve with these simple items - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_theft

You mean what would happen when your friend gives over his bank account details to someone who knows his name and address (as these too would have been provided in order for the buyer to come and see the car).
    ID fraud is easy to achieve with these simple items - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_theft

Hadn't thought of identity theft really I guess if he doesn't show up this will be his game otherwise I can't find a reason that he should cut this guy off he could just want the car....

Anyone here ever sell a car to someone from outside the state? That wasn't known to them prior to the sale.

• Advertisement

Cars can and are sold to people outside of the state but it would be for unusual spec models. Someone doesn't travel from the UK/France/Holland/wherever to buy an over proced, under serviced Almera.

Cars can and are sold to people outside of the state but it would be for unusual spec models. Someone doesn't travel from the UK/France/Holland/wherever to buy an over proced, under serviced Almera.

LOL it's no almera I posted the price it's €17k and keenly priced at that he has been offered €15k from an Irish buyer.

Same car is more expensive in Holland so I can see why they would want it even if there was a "vrt" type tax due on arrival there is a big difference so could be worth his while but I'm still weary most of the dodge people you hear about have drafts and western union etc. Or want you to send cash also most here are buyers we are sellers.

In the words of tony soprano - Whaddya ya gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cars can and are sold to people outside of the state but it would be for unusual spec models. Someone doesn't travel from the UK/France/Holland/whaever to buy an over proced, under serviced Almera.
    No Almera mentioned, though. Deal may be genuine, and OP should advise his friend to check with his bank about validity of proposed wire transfer.

Not your ornery onager

I picked Almera as it could have been any car. The OP didn't mention that this was an unusual car or give reason for it to be considered out of the ordinarry.
    That all doesn't matter anyhow - same rules still apply.

I picked Almera as it could have been any car. The OP didn't mention that this was an unusual car or give reason for it to be considered out of the ordinarry.
    That all doesn't matter anyhow - same rules still apply.

Clear as mud that one...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I'm weary of the hole lot of it, you're friend could loose his shirt here, what is the mystery machine?

langdang wrote: »
    I'm weary of the hole lot of it, you're friend could loose his shirt here, what is the mystery machine?

I'd rather not say.

I'd rather not say as I like to keep myself sort of anonymous on here ? It's not at all rare though nothing special like.
    ...in which case I'd take it for granted that my point stands. Who would really come from Holland to buy a car that's not rare or special.
    Its a scam and if your friend wants to refuse to listen to reason than all you can do is make a big "I told you so" sign to show them afterwards.

...in which case I'd take it for granted that my point stands. Who would really come from Holland to buy a car that's not rare or special.
    Its a scam and if your friend wants to refuse to listen to reason than all you can do is make a big "I told you so" sign to show them afterwards.

Sold the car locally end of !

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Just got an email on my car im trying to sell
    sounds like a scam and im just going to ignore the guy...
    anyone heard of this one?

Hello,
    Happy to read from you. i am okay with the price,and i will be paying
    you with certified check,There is nothing to worry about the
    shipment.I have a shipping agent that will sign all the papers and
    the transfer
    of ownership certificate at your location on behalf of me when the
    money credited to your account. Any amounts on the issue price is to
    shipping agent for the shipping costs and matriculation expenses
    for the pickup at your location.
    The cheque will be verify and clear befor the shipping
    agent come for it.and i live in uk .
    Here is the information needed to consider fee of the
    cheque: --
    Full Name on the cheque.......
    Home Address..........
    Post code.......
    Country........
    Telephone number.........
    Thank you and hope to read from you the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

HA HA total scam OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

OSI wrote: »
    Didn't even need to finish reading it.

Scam
    +1

As blatant a scam as they get!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I only read the first 4 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, ask yourself:
    • Firstly, who agrees to buy a car they haven't seen or test drove?
    • Secondly, who agrees to pay the full asking price of a car they haven't seen or test drove first?
    If something appears to be too good to be true then it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

Just got an email on my car im trying to sell
    sounds like a scam and im just going to ignore the guy...
    anyone heard of this one?

Hello,
    Happy to read from you. i am okay with the price,and i will be paying
    you with certified check,There is nothing to worry about the
    shipment.I have a shipping agent that will sign all the papers and
    the transfer
    of ownership certificate at your location on behalf of me when the
    money credited to your account. Any amounts on the issue price is to
    shipping agent for the shipping costs and matriculation expenses
    for the pickup at your location.
    The cheque will be verify and clear befor the shipping
    agent come for it.and i live in uk .
    Here is the information needed to consider fee of the
    cheque: --
    Full Name on the cheque.......
    Home Address..........
    Post code.......
    Country........
    Telephone number.........
    Thank you and hope to read from you the details.

Why would it be a scam OP? Most people responding to your ad would have awful grammar yet can still use words like matriculation expenses. They always live outside of Ireland and deal with shipping agents. They never have a problem with your offer price and never want to see the vehicle in person.

Why oh why would it be a scam???

</sarcasm>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hello,
    Happy to read from you...

Hahaha scamtastic

That guy is just a baby scammer - there are soooo many signs....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

i am looking to get a full service and new brake pads and disc for my 2003 1.2 polo, every site i go to has given me a price of €358. is this the going rate or is there a reliable garage that anyone knows that i can go to.:D

Wrong thread, mate. Start a new thread, make the title informative, and state what part of the country you are in.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Esel wrote: »
    Wrong thread, mate. Start a new thread, make the title informative, and state what part of the country you are in.

LOL they will be asking in personal issues next..:D:D

Anyway was anyone down here listening to 96FM today. Basically this guy purchased a caravan on behalf of his brother on Donedeal. He rang the number which took him to a answering machine. He then got a text saying this is donedeal please corespond to this address etc. To make a long story short he transferred the money to their bank A/C and got a bit fishy when he got no call. Of course when he made enquiries he found out he was caught.....:o:o

^ Probably one of the few caravan scam ads that were posted here in the last few weeks.

Should have gone to Boards!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1774772

and

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/26/74418126.html

Can you explain what will happen if I ring the second guy and arrange a meeting to see the car? Are they going to rob me or something?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

analfabets wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1774772

and

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/26/74418126.html

Can you explain what will happen if I ring the second guy and arrange a meeting to see the car? Are they going to rob me or something?

The second ad is gone. What on earth did it say that gave you that idea:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It was the same pics, and just a short blurb saying something like "I have a nice car for sale, ring for more details" and an 085 number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Eoin wrote: »
    It was the same pics, and just a short blurb saying something like "I have a nice car for sale, ring for more details" and an 085 number.

Yes. And for 400 euros and in Dublin

Advertisement