Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

My mum loves shopping in JC's although she occasionally will drop into Lidl/Aldi when she's near Finglas. I just hope the competition isn't so strong as to drive yet another local business under.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I find JCs quite expensive on a lot of staples (tinned tomatoes, pasta, bread being some examples) and only shop there for what is good value. The overcrowded isles and the packing during the day also drives me nuts

However the service is good, and they do have some great offers on. I'd estimate though that less than 15% of my monthly food/grocery shopping is done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

Don't get me wrong I like JC's (was having a particularly bad day last comment!) I do however HATE the stacking when you are trying to shop, it's something that drives me mad....

It is good for certain things and I don't think that Lidl being there will close it down by any means, it may make it reduce prices on some staples which are a bit more expensive in JC's.

There's never a time to go to JC's when its really really quiet so I don't think it will affect it too badly. JC's is great for drink offers so that will keep the locals happy.x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Stheno wrote: »
    Opening apparently in late March according to one of the OH's buddies.
    ksimpson wrote: »
    I would say so. The shell of the building is alredy up. Haven't heard anything in terms of recruitment as yet.

Well, here we are on the 30th March - looks like someone's a fair bit of the mark...:p

Can't see them opening within the next 3 months TBH, somewhere in July I'd reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Well, here we are on the 30th March - looks like someone's a fair bit of the mark...:p

Can't see them opening within the next 3 months TBH, somewhere in July I'd reckon.
    It will hardly take 3 months to fit out the shop, once the shell is complete I think youll see it open soon after ,TBH there is feck all involved in the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

With all the stores Lidl have, I'd say they have all this down to a fine art. I would expect the store to open pretty much on time. There was an ad for recruitment on the back page of their leaflet in last Sunday's Independent. I welcome Lidl to Swords but I don't think the store is in a good place for traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I welcome Lidl to Swords but I don't think the store is in a good place for traffic.

Absolutely!! With JC's/Dunnes where it is, the Rathbeale Road is a nightmare at the best of times, it's gonna be a disaster area now!

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Hoarding came down today , looks like they are about a week away from finishing outside/car park .

Wont be long now !;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not really excited, I never go to Lidl. Aldi are much better for food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just nipped down to JC's for some lunch, there's a stop/go outside Lidl - both lanes still fully open but I guess it's a good simulator for when cars start coming out of and going into the car park.

And guess what?

it's fckn chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

tbh wrote: »
    just nipped down to JC's for some lunch, there's a stop/go outside Lidl - both lanes still fully open but I guess it's a good simulator for when cars start coming out of and going into the car park.

And guess what?

it's fckn chaos.

I was just thinking the same, I drive by everyday and it's mad. It will be crazy when it opens, especially on a Thursday when they have their "specials".

And guess what?

it's fckn chaos.

Of course it is!! Typical bullsh!t of not thinking! I dread to think what it's gonna be like there at Christmas! Every Saturday will be a "stay the f**k away from the Rathbeale Road" day! :rolleyes: Wonder how long it'll be before there's a fender-bender or someone knocked down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And guess what?

it's fckn chaos.

I'd the exact thought the other day driving home from work, I cursed them from here to high heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh, but its not going to have any effect on the traffic along that road...

Yah. :rolleyes:

Absolute joke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

For all the irritation, at least we can all "we told you so". Within a short time, they'll be doing some sort of upgrade to the road because it cannot handle that traffic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    For all the irritation, at least we can all "we told you so". Within a short time, they'll be doing some sort of upgrade to the road because it cannot handle that traffic.

Of course they will, and then just make a bad problem even WORSE! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Oh god yeah, the Rathbeale road is a disaster zone already. For all that I would have preferred an Aldi myself for all that hassle, but we won't be long having one without the other.
    JCs is great for comedy value alone for shopping "WALL OF VALUE!!!" and "FRENCH WINE...FROM FRANCE!!!!!!!!" They dug out a load of wine from some warehouse, I think about a year ago, that was ancient, as in it was 1998-2001, but probably should have been sold before 2003 like hehe. Love that place :D

Lidl open next Friday, 4th May I hear.

Larianne wrote: »

Prepare for the chaos!

I'll shop there, but time it carefully, without traffic lights there for brackenstown I imagine it will be madness certain times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Larianne wrote: »

No way it'll be ready by then!:D

BTW the parking area looks waaaaaayyyyyyyy to small.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    No way it'll be ready by then!:D

BTW the parking area looks waaaaaayyyyyyyy to small.

That's what I was told.

Yeah, 80 car parking spaces - doesn't look like it will manage with that many cars.

I can only imagine the chaos when it opens. :mad:

I've been told Monday 7th .

And on a side note should we have a new thread for the impending arrival of ALDI .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Of course it is!! Typical bullsh!t of not thinking! I dread to think what it's gonna be like there at Christmas! Every Saturday will be a "stay the f**k away from the Rathbeale Road" day! :rolleyes: Wonder how long it'll be before there's a fender-bender or someone knocked down.

Which means also stay away from swords to anyone coming from rathbeale rd. Its easier for me to go to Newry for shopping now than Swords as it is. sick of Swords traffic. If its not traffic, its parking charges.
    And im not the only one.
    Imagine being so driver unfriendly that people shop in another country instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tone down the language please folks. This is a 'community' forum - not The Thunderdome.

tHB

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Which means also stay away from swords to anyone coming from rathbeale rd. Its easier for me to go to Newry for shopping now than Swords as it is. sick of Swords traffic. If its not traffic, its parking charges.
    And im not the only one.
    Imagine being so driver unfriendly that people shop in another country instead.

A bit OTT Kaner . You head all the way to Newry because you have no patience basically .

sharkman wrote: »
    A bit OTT Kaner . You head all the way to Newry because you have no patience basically .

yep. patience and parking issues.
    time how long it takes you to get from home into the shopping center an out and home again. less than an hour to newry. easier experience. much cheaper stuff. more choice. do 3 months shopping in one go and there is no need to drive into swords again for shopping. swords has just become a nightmare to shop in when you need the car. same as the city center.

get fruit, veg and milk on yer way home from work when you need it.

sharkman wrote: »

yep. patience and parking issues.
    time how long it takes you to get from home into the shopping center an out and home again. less than an hour to newry. easier experience. much cheaper stuff. more choice. do 3 months shopping in one go and there is no need to drive into swords again for shopping. swords has just become a nightmare to shop in when you need the car. same as the city center.

get fruit, veg and milk on yer way home from work when you need it.

It takes me about ten mins to get from my house to the door of superquinn and about five to get to the door of JCs.As long as you're not doing your shopping on Saturday morning, there's no way on gods earth newry is quicker. Unless you actually live in newry.

It takes me about ten mins to get from my house to the door of superquinn and about five to get to the door of JCs.As long as you're not doing your shopping on Saturday morning, there's no way on gods earth newry is quicker. Unless you actually live in newry.

i didnt say it was quicker. i said it was easier when you take into account traffic parking charges, costs, etc. it takes me more than 10 mins just to get from the roundabout to eddie rockets. i must drive slower than you through swords.

• Advertisement

i didnt say it was quicker. i said it was easier when you take into account traffic parking charges, costs, etc. it takes me more than 10 mins just to get from the roundabout to eddie rockets. i must drive slower than you through swords.

the day it's easier to drive 93 km than 3km is the day I leave swords for good!

edit - that's not to say I don't believe that you find it easier.

Advertisement