Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ruu wrote: »
    We'll be telling our grandchildren of this day. Never forget 1/17-1/20. :p
    Not a patch on 1/21/2010 (and maybe some of those grandchildren have something to be thankful for about that date) ......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Beasty wrote: »
    Not a patch on 1/21/2010 (and maybe some of those grandchildren have something to be thankful for about that date) ......
    What happened on that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thargor wrote: »
    we woz hacked :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Still can't login on the PC lads say your head are wrecked at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Should be the time Dav decided to help the admin team by doing some routine work and by mistake ended up moving every single post and thread from the whole site into one single forum. The software was not happy with that and the whole database crashed losing all posts (thankfully they had a back up to restore from)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

we woz hacked :eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Trying to load a thread with new posts seems to fail each time (503). Not sure if this is a coincidence or something significant.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I was only saying to people yesterday how I felt sorry for the guys behind boards going through the DDOS attack,cant have been pleasant.(Especially for this length of time)
    Now that I have just finished up dealing with one in work today, I can doubly feel their pain.
    If anybody from Boards wants to contact me, I wouldnt mind discussing with them what solutions they came up with, and I am happy to share any learnings we have as well from dealing with our own DDOS attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

So obviously there are still some issues we're trying to iron out. Time-outs are frequent for us and there are issues with logging in and out. These are all being worked on as we speak and if I had a more concrete estimate for you on when they'll be back, I'd share it. We're obviously as keen to get this sorted out as anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Site went down for several minutes there, back up now and alot faster and more responsive, I appreciate all the hard work!

Edit: Scrap that, went down again, back and completely unusable, took 3 attempts to even post this update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

First time all day I've been able to get onto boards. Site is running VERY slow for me. Almost unusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Back again, for now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Back again, for now

Don't speak too soon, been on and off most of the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Back again, for now

Pretty much Boards' best selling point at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Some of the largest websites in the world are taken down by DDoS, I'm sure boards are doing all they can to get the site up but bearing in mind it wouldn't generate a huge amount of revenue, I'm sure they are limited in what they can do at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I was having withdrawal symptoms

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was having withdrawal symptoms

Likewise. On the upside my work productivity has gone through the roof.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The National Lottery were hit by a DDoS today, so there seems to be a lot of it about right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Loughc wrote: »
    Likewise. On the upside my work productivity has gone through the roof.

Thankfully I slept most of today

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Zaph wrote: »
    The National Lottery were hit by a DDoS today, so there seems to be a lot of it about right now.

DDoS is a handy excuse for a lot of sites when they experience technical problems. The Lotto jackpot was very high tonight and their site just probably couldn't handle the traffic. They have been plagued with technical difficulties since they were taken over.

Actually.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I guess there's no need for spoiler tags in the Making A Murderer threads anymore. We all had a chance to watch the full series over the last couple of days. I got through The Hateful Eight and Room as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Thank you Technical Staff for all your hard work. I was never on this particular section of Boards before, but I had to find out a bit more about this DDoS attack.

I was getting kicked out with error messages from Cloudflare only a few hours ago, before I was finally able to get back to my precious Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Some of the largest websites in the world are taken down by DDoS, I'm sure boards are doing all they can to get the site up but bearing in mind it wouldn't generate a huge amount of revenue, I'm sure they are limited in what they can do at this stage.

Your dead right Kersplat. Sony spent $170m after their ddos attack in 2013. I know boards isn't as big as them but it'll still cost a lot of money to boards in lost revenue over the last 2-3 days.

https://blog.radware.com/security/2013/05/how-much-can-a-ddos-attack-cost-your-business/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Treepole wrote: »
    DDoS is a handy excuse for a lot of sites when they experience technical problems. The Lotto jackpot was very high tonight and their site just probably couldn't handle the traffic. They have been plagued with technical difficulties since they were taken over.

Actually.....

Yes. Lots of people using your site isn't a DDOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Getting this from time to time.
    Error 1001 Ray ID: 2675b9b4989f2963 • 2016-01-19 21:45:13 UTC
    DNS resolution error
    What happened?

You've requested a page on a website (www.boards.ie) that is on the CloudFlare network. CloudFlare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (www.boards.ie). There are two potential causes of this:

Most likely: if the owner just signed up for CloudFlare it can take a few minutes for the website's information to be distributed to our global network.
    Less likely: something is wrong with this site's configuration. Usually this happens when accounts have been signed up with a partner organization (e.g., a hosting provider) and the provider's DNS fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Can't log in on the phone on touch, full site or beta. Getting an internal server error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess there's no need for spoiler tags in the Making A Murderer threads anymore. We all had a chance to watch the full series over the last couple of days. I got through The Hateful Eight and Room as well.

Im amazed you got through room since the site went down, it took me and mum 7 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Dunny wrote: »
    Getting this from time to time.

Had the same message when trying to access rte.ie earlier, think they are taking a hit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ruu wrote: »
    We'll be telling our grandchildren of this day. Never forget 1/17-1/20. :p

It will be awhile before I can tell my Grandson. He was born Monday night 1/18, in the midst of the Apocalddos. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

We got hit in work by a group called "The Armada Collective". They DDoS and then hold the company to ransom. They managed to take down nearly the entire WAN. Took two days to resolve (we didn't pay).

More info here about them - https://www.grahamcluley.com/2015/11/armada-collective-ddos/

Something similar happen here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement