Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

mcgovern wrote: »
    And they just stopped bothering to give updates on Twitter last night, no updates today at all.

Dav has said above what the issue is and that there isn't anything they can do?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There isn't an awful lot one can do about these DDOS scamps, no, particularly the cleverer application-layer ones. Not without lip-slobberingly powerful and expensive infrastructure equipment and the wherewithal to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It's not much use having details here if the site is down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

So they just set it up and let it run or do they have to stay with it? The type of person that would get a kick out of something like that doesn't seem to me like the type of person that would put much effort into doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

So they just set it up and let it run or do they have to stay with it? The type of person that would get a kick out of something like that doesn't seem to me like the type of person that would put much effort into doing anything.

Oh it's automated alright, but there's no really good reason for it, it just basically knocks the system over for some time to the annoyance of legitimate users. It's done generally by slightly mental people with some sort of beef, be it political or otherwise, and bored Russian fifteen-year-olds. :D

• Advertisement

I can't log on on my phone because it doesn't like my IP.

Which leads me to believe I DDOS'd the site. I'm sorry. It was a accident. I was only trying to send a snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I can open it on my phone but not on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

IPv6 FTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ever feel lonely? boards_1.png

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

/tumbleweed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,913 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hello, is it me you're looking for :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh thank god boards is ba

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Soooooooooooooooooooo slow. Reminded me about those good old days with 56k dialup modem. czolem.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm not sure how, but it seems like a lot of you were back before I was, might have to investigate that... ;)

Anyway, yes, we're slowly coming back to life. We'll post a few more details later on, but for now, welcome back everyone, we're very sorry to have been away for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dav wrote: »
    I'm not sure how, but it seems like a lot of you were back before I was, might have to investigate that... ;)

Anyway, yes, we're slowly coming back to life. We'll post a few more details later on, but for now, welcome back everyone, we're very sorry to have been away for so long.
    But, as a small consolation, you came back twice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I missed you boards.ie xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

But, as a small consolation, you came back twice.

Glitch in the matrixs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You often hear of DDOS attacks on a variety of sights, commerical, government etc, but they seem to either stop, or be stopped, in a relatively short period compared to what happened here.

Is there a technical reason behind this, such as the hosting platform and software, spotty teen being particularly persistent, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Thanks to the staff for not only fixing boards, but also for the transparency and updates on Twitter. I'm sure updating Twitter was using up time that could be spent fixing the site, but thanks. shows respect for the members, for you to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ahh it's good to be back. Fair play to the team for keeping us updated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was just starting to enjoy an uncluttered email account! Oh well good to be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Was just starting to enjoy an uncluttered email account! Oh well good to be back

You do know you can turn that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,897 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Or just tell your email to dump them all in a Boards.ie folder, if I didnt do that with Boards, Facebook and Shopping folders Id end up in the loony bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Thanks to the staff for not only fixing boards, but also for the transparency and updates on Twitter. I'm sure updating Twitter was using up time that could be spent fixing the site, but thanks. shows respect for the members, for you to do that.

It could be that the person who was updating Twitter has nothing to do with the technical side of recovering not from a ddos attack. So their time spent updating Twitter had nothing to do with the time spent fixing the site

Well done guys. Must have been a nightmare for you all.

ken wrote: »
    You do know you can turn that off.

I prefer to get the notifications, which actually at the moment I'm not anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

We'll be telling our grandchildren of this day. Never forget 1/17-1/20. :p

Site gone very slow, getting 503 errors too. At least 20 seconds each time before a page even tries to load, is this DDoS protection or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It could be that the person who was updating Twitter has nothing to do with the technical side of recovering not from a ddos attack. So their time spent updating Twitter had nothing to do with the time spent fixing the site

Yup, that's true. If it were the community managers though (i think niamh posted on Twitter?), I'm sure they had other stuff to be doing like liasing with people from the Talk To fora, so either way, I appreciate the updates and interaction with the members.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement