Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

Yeah, why not? I've seen very little of him in France so still don't know what his true ability is.

I'd have him back alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ok with BOD saying that this could be his last 6 nations who do we seeing playing 13 next season given that he will probably retire from Leinster as well come the end of the season

ok with BOD saying that this could be his last 6 nations who do we seeing playing 13 next season given that he will probably retire from Leinster as well come the end of the season

33311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Think he will play another season with leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think the O'Malley/Macken situation is a good one. They're both out and out 13's (in my opinion at least!) and you have a great mix of options.

O'Malley is solid and before his injury he was well up to speed with H Cup rugby. He won't score tries from 50m out, but he has good hands and a good awareness of space (which defo suits the way Leinster play). Macken on the other hand can run in tries from 50m out, is strong and fast and can make things happen, but is not as solid and definitely not up to speed with H Cup rugby.

Neither of them are as good as BOD of course, but if we can get the best out of both of them we should be OK at 13 for a while at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think O'Malley is an excellent centre. Runs stellar lines - most of his tries look so simple because defenders don't touch him as he runs it in - has great hands and a decent bit of pace. He's not the biggest in the world which is the only potential downside. I also think, currently at least, he is a hell of a lot better than Macken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I would see EOM taking the jersey initially but long term I hope Macken steps up.

He still is only 21 so there is tons of room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Agree. O'Malley is a much more rounded player than Macken, but I can see Macken overtaking him after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭eire4

Hope he plays at least one more season. His vision and movement is still top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Donald Coyle

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think the O'Malley/Macken situation is a good one. They're both out and out 13's (in my opinion at least!) and you have a great mix of options.

O'Malley is solid and before his injury he was well up to speed with H Cup rugby. He won't score tries from 50m out, but he has good hands and a good awareness of space (which defo suits the way Leinster play). Macken on the other hand can run in tries from 50m out, is strong and fast and can make things happen, but is not as solid and definitely not up to speed with H Cup rugby.

Neither of them are as good as BOD of course, but if we can get the best out of both of them we should be OK at 13 for a while at least.

If we could just get O'Malley's head and upper body on Macken's legs... anyone know who heads up the Leinster medical team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Think he will play another season with leinster

IRFU pay his wages though. If he retires from international games, then wouldn't that mean Leinster would have to pay his wage for the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Heroditas wrote: »

IRFU pay his wages though. If he retires from international games, then wouldn't that mean Leinster would have to pay his wage for the season?

Think his contract is up at the end of the season anyway so there will have to be some sort of discussion anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For the national team it's not great if he stays with Leinster but doesn't play for Ireland.

He'd be then taking up a spot that Macken or EOM could be playing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Can't see BOD playing any more rugby after this season. Book being written, lunches and events being lined up and he's started his post rugby career with app media and agency stuff. Baby on the way. He's been very classy the last few seasons and hope to think he'll bow out at the top.
    They're won't be another BOD and hope Darcy tkes a year palying as well as he has for Leinster to bring some lads thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I would imagine it'll be all or nothing for BoD. Can't see him playing for Leinster but not for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Didn't he say a while ago he'd play on for Leinster after he retires from international rugby? I'll try and find the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Pretty quite on this thread lately, maybe some Leinster fans have taken drastic action after the week that will forever be reffered to as "Black Week", so might share a couple of interesting articles today in the College Tribune (UCD Campus paper) today, the first about Adam Byrne and his selection for the senior team:
    Byrne born from a different cloth at Leinster

Adam-Byrne-12.jpg

At 18 years, 8 months and 20 days, Adam Byrne is the youngest player to ever represent the Leinster senior team. His rise to the top has been rapid, however unheralded to the same degree as that of previous teenage debutants, Luke Fitzgerald, Andrew Conway, and to a lesser extent, a one Brian O’Driscoll. Uniquely, however, Byrne, the latest addition to the seemingly endless conveyor-belt of Leinster back three rugby players, only took up the game at 16.

A former Manchester United academy member and keen Gaelic Footballer, Byrne only took up the game after being suggested to by a friend following a move to Naas from Dublin. He also cites the added incentive of missing school hours as an additional motivational factor. He joined Naas Rugby Club where he was quickly spotted by selectors for the Leinster Regional team, eventually leading to his selection for the Leinster Youths team. All this while playing a year above his actual age group. He credits playing the extra year of Leinster Youths rugby as an serious advantage in terms of developing his skill set on the pitch and physique in the gym. One assumes it is modesty which prevents him from acknowledging that in order to play a year above your actual age group, you have to be quite talented to begin with.

Incredibly it is just five months ago that Byrne was training and playing with the Leinster under-19s side. Byrne thinks that his omission from the under-20s squad led him to play in the under-19s Interprovincial Series with what he described as ‘’a kind of chip on his shoulder’’. A strong performance for the 19s was rewarded with a place in the Sub Academy, which was in many ways the spring board of his current success.

His first involvement with the senior side came when the team travelled to Ravenhill to face high flying Ulster. He got the call from Joe Schmidt on Wednesday. He explained how the conversation began cordially enough, with Schmidt asking how his exams were going, whether he had an exam the following day, and would it be possible for him to come to some of the Captain’s run the following day because ‘’oh yeah, you’re on the bench on Friday night.’’ At first he thought it was a joke and went as far phoning one of the Strength and Conditioning coaches to confirm that the phone call he received was from the man himself. A precaution which received some stick from the senior players.

He did not in fact make his debut that night and while he is not saying that he didn’t want to play, he was happier that he didn’t because he felt that he may have been exposed due to his lack of preparation and familiarity with the team’s patterns. Ten days later, when the side met Connacht in the RDS, he was again named on the bench. This time, he was chomping at the bit to get on. He recalls just looking at the clock, thinking ‘’Put me on, put me on, please put me on.’’ He was surprised by how quickly he settled into the game. ‘’It’s actually much more relaxed than you’d think,’’ he claims, ‘’Ian Madigan was just there calling moves and throwing the ball around.’’ The night finished with him singing ‘’I Got A Feeling’’ by the Black Eyed Pees, in celebration of his first appearance.

With respect to the future, the second year engineering student isn’t getting ahead of himself. He unfortunately broke his ankle recently and his main aim is to recover for selection for the Under-20 World Cup which takes place this summer in France. He is aware of the element of luck that was involved in his selection for the senior team and suggests that he is aware he may not play for them again for a while due to the return of various players to fitness. However there’s no doubt that this talented young player will be faced with plenty more chances in the future.

Never realised he only took up rugby 2 years ago and was a Man Utd academy player!! :shock:

The second, is pretty much par for the course, another UCD match review, another shining perofrmance from Sam Coughlin-Murray.

I don't know why he hasn't had a chance at senior level yet, but every time I read about UCD, he's on fire (scoring 2 tries and setting up another in this game), but on occasion I've taken a break from lectures / study to watch UCD play, which is basically a Leinster Academy hybrid team these days, and he's looked superb the few times I've seen him. Pace to burn.

Hopefully we've sent the ringer to Munster and this lad will no doubt be in the senior squad next season (in last year of academy) and set the P12 on fire.

If anyone is in or around UCD, I'd highly recommend watching matches. UCD have their training base in UCD and have an education partnership with the academy (all UCD academy players go to UCD) so the team is pretty exciting. Weird when sitting exams though, I've sat beside Jamie Hagan in one and Mark Flanagan in another!

Collidge Breeze Past Ballymena

timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.collegetribune.ie%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F01%2Fbackpagesport-e1359584172939.jpg&q=90&w=160&h=106&zc=1

A strong UCD side overcame a limited Ballymena outfit in the UCD Bowl on Saturday, scoring some fantastic team tries in wet and windy conditions.

The home side had the better of the early exchanges, with loose head James Tracy and openside Mark McGroarty affecting a choke tackle resulting in a scrum for the home side. From the resulting play, fullback Andrew Boyle made an excellent line break, the ball was recycled and the forwards were used for a midfield hit up, Ballymena infringed in a very cynical fashion, killing the ball, and James Thornton slotted the resulting penalty to make it 3-0 inside the first 10 minutes.

Ballymena immediately had a chance to equalise after Shane Grannell infringed at the restart, however they failed to capitalise. Poor kicking, both at goal and for field position, was a characteristic of Ballymena’s play throughout the first half.

The first half was largely characterised by UCD’s high tempo running game. They kicked the ball only 10 times in the opening 40 minutes. This high tempo approach, coupled with excellent passing from Thornton, Lynch, and Kelly, meant that line breaks were aplenty in the first half. When captain Risteard Byrne ran 60 metres, further pressure led to UCD’s second penalty, which Thornton converted for a 6-0 lead. Ballymena eventually got off the mark, after 18 minutes, when Mark McGroarty was penalised for an overly exuberant tackle, which lead to play being stopped and a concussion assessment.

The score was well poised at 6-3 when UCD finally got the break through their ambitious play during the opening quarter deserved. Conor Gilsenan secured Thorton’s restart, the ball broke for McGroarty, who carried strongly into the centre of the Ballymena defence, breaking two tackles before being stopped. The ball was moved right and Thornton threw a beautiful pass to Danny Kenny, which put him on an outside arc, his fast hands allowed the ball to be moved on the Sam Coghlan Murray, who scored in the corner. Thornton’s touchline conversion made it 13-3.

Things would only worsen for Ballymena, who lost outhalf Rory Drysdale to the sin bin, for a deliberate knock on. UCD could sense there were more scores out there with their opponents reduced in number. However four times they entered Ballymena’s 22, and failed to score; they were guilty of trying to force the passes, much to the frustration of coach Bobby Byrne.

Winger Barry Daly did manage to score just before half time, again it was down to UCD building the phases and not trying things that weren’t on. The conversion was missed, and Collidge lead 18-3 at half time.

A more spirited Ballymena appeared for the second half. However while they enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, their passing was far too lateral, and UCD were more than up for the physical battle on the gainline. Ballymena’s one period of sustained pressure five yards from the UCD line, eventually ended when second row Shane Grannell won a penalty for not realising.

After failing to score following such a long period of pressure Ballymena’s spirits began to rapidly drop, they lost number 8 Matthew Rea to the sin bin for an off the ball tackle following Danny Kenny’s 50 metre break. From the resulting penalty, UCD went down the touchline, Emmet MacMahon claimed the lineout, McGroarty was used as first receiver, his pass was excellent and meant that Sam Coghlan Murray had plenty of space to use his fleet feet, to score his second. The two points were added by the inform Thornton.

The bonus point was secured following an excellent break up the wing but Coghlan Murray, who kicked infield for the onrushing Gilsenan to score under the posts.

A comprehensive and thoroughly deserved win for the home side who showed excellent defensive discipline throughout.

UCD: Andy Boyle, Sam Coghlan Murray, Alex Kelly, David Lynch (Stephen Murphy 60mins), Barry Daly, James Thornton, Jamie Glynn (Rob Shanley 60mins) , James Tracy, Risteard Byrne, Kieran Moloney (Rory Harrison ht) Shane Grannell (Brian Cawley 60mins) Emmet MacMahon (Shane Grannell 72mins) Conor Gilsenan Mark McGroarty (Adam Clarkin 60mins) Danny Kenny.

-Conall Devlin

Hopefully can cheer a few people up in knowing that losing Conway is not the end of the world, plenty of promise coming up behind him.

Interesting article. Rugby has so much to thank gaelic football for.

Anyone hear the rumour that Leicester Tigers made contact with Adam Byrne before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Winters wrote: »
    Interesting article. Rugby has so much to thank gaelic football for.

Anyone hear the rumour that Leicester Tigers made contact with Adam Byrne before Christmas?

Wouldn't be surprised at all, given his past with Naas RFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Wouldn't be surprised at all, given his past with Naas RFC
    What's the connection between the 2 clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Fair play, I think Boyle, Hudson and SCM and hopefully Byrne can really add to the Rabo in the next 2/3 years.

SCM 5'9 13st 5 lbs 21 yesterday
    Boyle 6'0 14 st 9 lbs 22 in June '13
    Hudson 6'2 15 st 8 lbs 23 in June '13

Never knew Hudson was that height so thats good.

Fitzy 6'1 14 st 7 lbs
    Ferg 6'0 14 st 9 lbs
    DK 5'11 14 st 4 lbs
    Isa 5'11 14 st 4 lbs

Niall Morris may return
    We need a few Shane Horgans 6'4 with pace to burn

Hopefully he stays put, I think looking at our back three he'll get plenty of game time over the next few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

What's the connection between the 2 clubs?

Geordan Murphy - played his Mini and Youths rugby with Naas.

What's his best position?

Byrne? He's played centre, fullback and wing for Leinster at various levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

madds wrote: »
    Geordan Murphy - played his Mini and Youths rugby with Naas.

His dad and brother are Naas men as well I believe. I distinctly remember Naas doing various things with Leicester on a few occasions when I was living in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

AFAIK his brother is currently in the Manchester United academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I see Mark McGroarty mentioned quite a bit in the UCD match report, another guy who was impressive in the Aviva challenge 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Squad update:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10954.php

Looks like EOM is back fit at last and will feature in the games during the Six Nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

ongarite wrote: »
    Squad update:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10954.php

Looks like EOM is back fit at last and will feature in the games during the Six Nations.

Great for EOM and Dave Kearney. Good chance for them to push for Amlin selection as well as the summer tour. Would personally like to see McGrath and Cooney start this one. With Heinke leaving, it's especially prudent for McGrath to add to his six starts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement